RG770DX Review

7.7
reviews (3) pictures (2) 18 comments vote for this gear:
RG770DX Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 07, 2009

Purchased from: ebay

Features: The RG770 cmes with a basswood body, 5pc neck crafted to the Orginal Wizard specifications but reinforced with modern technology to make it even stronger than the orginal. The neck is also clearcoated and bound. The guitar has an H-S-H configuration and is fitted with DiMarzio/IBZ USA custom pickups. 1 volume and 1 tone knob, wich is all you really need, 5 way pickup selector. The Guitar is also fitted with the orginal edge tremolo. I bought mine in Lazer blue, with matching lazer blue headstock, sharktooth inlays, pickups, and knobs. All hardware is in a dark chrome(cosmo chrome) finish. Also comes with a prestige case. // 8

Sound: The pickups make for an extremely volitle combination, capable of producing any sound you can imagine. My style of playing is influenced by several different rock and metal styles, andthis guitar seems to accomodate them all. The humbucker pickups pack and incredibly powerful tone with the treble pickup tailored towards high output lead playing. You can dial it back a bit with the tone knob to produce very full rhythm tones as well. The single coil pickup boarderlines a Strat and is great for clapton like tones. I play through a Line 6 Flextone III and this guitar makes that amp sing like nothing I've ever heard before. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how he factory set up came on this guitar since I bought it used, but the set up on this guitar is the best I have ever seen. The action is flawless and playability is effortless. The fit and finish all the way around is perfect and has no flaws. The only minor flaw the guiar came with (which I assume was not from factory) was two very minor cracks in the finish at the edges of the neck pocket (which sadly most Ibanezs with the block style neck joint are notorious for) // 8

Reliability & Durability: The second I got this guitar out of the box it was shipped in and opened the case, it was plugged in and off I went for the next 6 hours. When it came out of the packaging after shipping the guitar was still in tune, a testament to the tuning stability the double locking tremolo provides. After six hours of playing and several tremolo dives, this guitar stayed perfectly in tune. I also played the guitar at a band practice that night and it performed flawlessly. The guitar is incredibly comfortable around your neck and I imagine it would b easy to play live. // 8

Overall Impression: All in all, this guitar is a must have for all enthusiasts. If you have never tried an Ibanez before, this guitar should be enough to establish some immediate brand loyalty. I own several other Ibanezs, including an RG4EX1, S470, and a Xiphos(odd combination I know) The RG770 could easily make me sell them all(though I know I won't) At the very least my other guitars should go through a stage of jealousy and withdrawl. I recommend the RG770 to any player! // 8

RG770DX Reviewed by: hesh3216, on october 16, 2008

Purchased from: dave's guitar shop

Features: It was made in '08 in Japan. It has 24 jumbo frets on a bound maple fret board. The neck is the original wizard neck and is very thin, it makes my RG350DX feel like a log. It has a basswood body and a maple/walnut 5 piece neck. The finish is ridiculously sexual. The body, inlays, pick ups, knobs and head are all blue. The original edge bridge dominates all. The body is a little bit thick I think, but it is very solid. It has 3 passive pick ups, they are DiMarzio made for Ibanez pickups. The F4 and F2 humbuckers a quite rare, and sound great. it has gotoh tuners, and a double locking trem system. It has a 5 way pu selector and a volume and one tone knob. It came with a snazzy hard shell case, tools, an instruction manual, and the history of Ibanez guitars book. // 10

Sound: I play all sorts of metal, but I also shread it up clean on occasion, and whatever I play, it sounds great. I can go from Chuck Schuldiner to Chuck Mangione with this guitar. I have an Ibanez tbx 150 head and matching cab. I also have a DigiTech rp14. it sounds grand thru both. I use the rp for headphones late at night and also recording onto my computer. The pick ups are great as they are very quite when not playing. it has a very wide spectrum of sounds you can attain and what not. Every note is crisp and clear. this guitar sings. Pinch harmonics are incredibly easy and they sound great too. Also, the edge tremolo is different the the newer edge pro II's and stuff and you can let the whammy go really fast and it makes that incredible Steve Vai vibrato sound he does a lot. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything is great. It was set up at dave's guitar shop, and they are really good at making sure things are set up right. The finish is flawless. The wood on the neck and fret board is excellent. The neck is redonkulously smooth and fast. The action is really low with minimal fret buzz. Everything on this guitar is as close to perfect as I've ever seen, I love it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but from what I've read and heard about the original rg770's they last forever. This guitar is def going to be my main live/studio guitar. I have no worries about anything going wrong with the guitar itself but strings do tend to break at the most inopportune times, so I am going to keep my rg350. the strap buttons on this are huge, I have a hard time getting the strap off when I'm trying to get it off. No worries about them. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar perfectly matches my playing style. It also looks great. I've been playing for 6 years now and it is my second Ibanez, and it wont be my last. I am definitely an Ibanez fan boy for life. If it were stolen/lost/broken/whatever I would scour the earth get another one, but there are very few made, only 250 blue and 250 red in America. idk the total number of them, but yeah, I love it. I got used to my least favorite feature after the first night of playing which was the neck plate where it is attached, it was a little blocky at first, but I've completely gotten used to it. It ranks right up there with the rest of the Ibanez prestige series and the jems. after tax this thing was 1370 which is 1000 less than a jem, and I would say that this is as good or better, depending on what you like in a guitar. // 10

RG770DX Reviewed by: W4RP1G, on november 05, 2012

Purchased from: Barry Clark's Music (eBay)

Features: I have a reissue, made in 2008 in the Fujigen factory(Japan). - 5-piece maple/wenge wizard neck - Maple fretboard with blue inlays - 24 frets - Basswood body - Clear pickguard - Laser blue finish - Dimarzio made IBZ/USA F2/C3/F4 pickups - Gotoh tuners - Lo-Pro tremolo (Gotoh-made) - Team J-Craft hard-case I love the specs on this guitar. The only things I don't care for are the square neck heel and the neck and middle pickups(I just don't like middle pickups to being with). // 8

Sound: I was skeptical about the pickups, but the bridge is pretty good. The IBZ/USA F2 is the best DiMarzio made Ibanez pickup you'll find. However, I thought it was a bit shallow, so I swapped the ceramic magnet with an Alnico 8 Magnet. I would not dream of changing it out! In my RG520 I've had both the DiMarzio Super Distortion and the Mo' Joe in the bridge, and neither can compare to the F2 with an A8 Magnet. I hated the C3 in the middle. I typically don't like that position anyway, but the C3 was just a poor choice to begin with. It was too quite compared to the humbuckers. Switching between them was annoying because of the volume drop. At first I put a ceramic MIM Strat pickup in there, and it worked well with the other pickups, but I eventually bought an HH chrome pickguard and ditched the middle pickup all together. The F4 in the neck is pretty good, but not as good as I'd like. I typically don't use the neck for much other than some leads and sweeps, so it's not terrible, but I may upgrade one of these days. The PAF Joe in my RG520 blows it away. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I've tweaked the action a bit to get it super low. That involved shimming the middle saddles with Floyd Rose shims from all parts. It just seems like the middle strings were buzzing more than anything when I lowered the action. Now it's perfect, super low with little buzz. Playing this guitar is a breeze. I've owned several other Ibanez Japan guitars, and this one beats them all in terms of how low I can get the action. The neck is pretty thin and it's not as stable as a thicker neck (which is to be expected). I've never had issues with it bowing from weather changes, but when I lean back on the couch and play, it goes a little sharp(however, it's not as bad as my RG520). I changed the pots out as well, they were too stiff. Some people like that, but I don't. I think the pots were a linear taper because when I changed them to a log/audio taper, they rolled off so much more smoothly. I also changed the switch to a 3-way when I removed the middle pickup. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Everything seems pretty durable and like it will last. The output jack has begun to short when I put pressure on the cable, but that is after several years of good use. Flush mounted output jacks don't last, and it would be unrealistic of me to expect it to since they are notorious for wearing out and needing to be replaced. Anyone buying a guitar with a flush-mount output jack should expect that. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, usually thrash, but branching into progressive and metalcore. I love the way 80's glam-metal guitars look, but I don't care much for the music. I saw this one online and had to have it. I'm glad I did because it's likely to be the only guitar that I never sell. I would probably try to replace it if it were stolen, but I feel like I've bonded with this guitar, so I don't know if the replacement would ever feel the same. My favorite feature is definitely the looks. The maple fretboard with color matched inlays is stunning. The color itself is so awesome. I didn't care much for the clear pickguard or middle pickup, but putting a custom chrome HH pickguard on it fixed that problem. My next favorite feature would be the F2 in the bridge. I won't even contemplate changing it, it's perfect! Some people don't like it, but think it's easily as good as any DiMarzio I've tried since I've changed it to the Alnico 8 Magnet. I'd say it's like a Super Distortion with more clarity and dynamics. If there was one feature I could change, it would definitely be the square neck heel. I don't know what Ibanez was thinking with that! The AANJ is one of the best improvements they've made over the years. I understand that it's a reissue and they wanted to be true to the original, but they did use a 5-piece neck, which isn't what the original had. If I could rate the guitar as I have it right now, it would be a 10 in every category(except for features because I can't upgrade the neck heel to an AANJ). The stock guitar was definitely not up to my expectations. Fortunately though, it only needed some tweaking to get it there. And one last thought... I know some people hate the way it looks. It is pretty flashy, and people often tell me that it's "very blue". But those are generally not the people that this guitar was made for. Basically, if you don't like the way it looks there are plenty of more conventional guitars out there to choose from, this just isn't for you. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 8.9 Electric Guitars 10/21/2014