RG870BK Review

6.8
reviews (2) pictures (1) 94 comments vote for this gear:
RG870BK Reviewed by: Giant89, on may 18, 2011

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: Well this guitar is amazing. The all new Ibanez RG Premium Series. The Design is eye catching. Comes with High-end DiMarzio and CAP-VM pickups. Specially rounded Premium fret edges for smooth play and comfortable neck grip. Wizard Premium neck has same construction and thickness as Prestige Wizard. Ultimate tuning stability with Edge-Zero II bridge/tremolo w/ZPS 3. Only two models made so far. The RG920QM and the RG870BK. This 24 fret solid guitar has a quilted maple top. It has Jumbo Frets. This guitar meets anyones standards. Its amazing you have to get it. // 10

Sound: It does suit my style (Punk). I am using a Fender Frontman. I also am using the Wylde Phase. Its not noisy. I always go on Drive it has a rich sound. I love the sound soooo much. It can make pretty much anything you want. I prefer it for metal, punk, and blues. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is perfect. Unlike my other guitars the string height is perfect. The Pickups are on good. They are not wobbly or anything. The Bridge is in good. Its a good one. The guitar really doesnt't have any flaws. I recently got it so I can't answer that. I will soon. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes I played it in front of my school. Heck yeah the hardware will last. Strap buttons are solid. I really depend on it. I would use it on a gig without a backup. Well the finish is enough to last. It is not easy to wear off with lots of playing. It is definitley a good guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk and metal. Yes the guitar is a good match. I've been playing for about 6 years and I own three guitars. A Ibanez RG920QM and a Epiphone Les Paul Zakk Wylde Model and a PRS JCM800. I wanted to know if it would be good for the type of music I play. I would definitley buy it again if it was stolen. I mean the guitar is freakin amazing. I love the Tremolo and the pickups. I am not really liking the frets. I prefer the sabortooth frets. My favorite feature is the tremolo. No I do not compare it to other products. Nope it already has it all. // 10

RG870BK Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 21, 2011

Price paid: A$ 899

Features: This Guitar was made march 2011, in Indonesia. It has a 24 fret rosewood fretboard, jumbo frets, 5pce maple neck, on a solid Superstrat-style basswood body in gloss black. Hardware wise, it has an Ibanez Edge Zero II Bridge (Floyd style), and Ibanez CAP-VM passive pickups in Hum-sing-hum configuration, run through a five way switch. Two knobs are provided, tone and volume. Tuners are very smooth Ibanez items. Comes packed in a light but solid fitted Ibanez case, with a handy little tool that fits all the screws, bolts and allen keys on the guitar. // 9

Sound: I play metal and classic rock, and use this guitar through either a Roland Cube 20XL, or a Hiwatt G100R with (or without) Boss effects. This guitar suits my style perfectly. The pickups provided are considerably better than the basic Ibanez RG pickups, with good output and varied tones from all Switch positions. I feel guilty for not using the great clean tone of the single coil more often, and the Bridge pickup offers some dry, searing rhythm sounds. The neck humbucker plays well for a fuller tone. There is also plenty of variation across the range of the tone knob. My only complaint here is some noise when switching between pickups, however this is becoming less apparrent as it wears in. There is plenty of sustain to play with, too. If this guitar had a set of DiMarzio pickups or similar it would sound better, but at this price point, the factory equipment is pleasantly surprising. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Still using factory setup 2 months later, very happy. Takes days to get out of tune, even with massive whammy abuse. This is partly due, I think, to the two Titanium rods in the neck, which is even thinner than Ibanez Wizard II. This is great for my tiny carney fingers, as I have no reach issues on this neck. The Action is as low as anything I have owned, and I experience no fret buzz (except that which I bring upon myself when the talent runs out). The Bridge is a nice touch, taking much of the heartache out of owning a Floyd(ish) trem, by allowing you to lock it in place or release it for full floating action, and easily adjust spring tension. This is achieved through witchcraft, as far as I can tell, but it works. Fit and finish is almost flawless, barring some sawdust left around the truss-rod opening, and a little red line on the back of the headstock where the end of the finish must have been marked at the factory. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is, quite possibly, bulletproof. It travels six hours a week on public transport, gets played drunk regularly, and is owned by the clumsiest guitarist alive. Hardware is all solid, however only time will tell if it will stay that way. Strap buttons are like rocks, and I have not marked the finish yet, despite efforts. If I played without a backup, this is the guitar I would do it with, however I don't think the trem is likely to last as long as Ibanez's more expensive Edge Zero. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar seems to Bridge a massive gap in price vs. Capability that existed in Ibanez's range, and is an excellent metal guitar. It also has enough tonal variability to allow me to dabble in any other styles that might strike my fancy. To play, it is by far the best feeling guitar I have owned, out of other Ibanez, a BC Rich and a Jackson (although the Jackson has EMG active pickups, which do sound better and are louder). I would buy this guitar again in a heartbeat, if, God forbid, it was stolen. For my money, the sorcerous Edge Zero II has to be the best aspect of this guitar, followed closely by the silky, slender neck, bang for buck pickups, and pure sex looks. I do wish those pickups were even better, however as good as they are, at my skill level, they aren't worth changing. All in all, this is a great guitar for any player that wants something a bit better than the somewhat pedestrian Ibanez RG3xx series, or ESP LTDs, without the paying the massive premium of going up to a japanese built model. This guitar is probably the closest that I will get in the forseeable future. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014