RG921QMF Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 08/21/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG921QMF
Ibanez RG921QMF is one of their Premium line of guitars. For what I bought it for, it'll handle the music perfectly.
 9.2
 9.6
 8.8
review (1) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
RG921QMF Reviewed by: CkY freak, on august 21, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Up for review is an Ibanez RG921QMF. This is one of their Premium line of guitars. I haven't been able to decode the serial number. The serial number starts with a D, and I wasn't able to find a whole on anything in that format. Here's the specs: - Neck Material: 5pc Maple/ Walnut - Neck Type: Wizard Premium - Body: American Basswood body/ Quilted maple top - Frets: Jumbo frets - Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood - Inlay: Off-set dot inlay - Bridge: Tight End R bridge - NeckPU: DiMarzio IBZ-N - BridgePU: DiMarzio IBZ-B - HW Color: CK I got mine in the color called "Black Ice". Its a very nice color. I really wanted an Ibanez with just 2 humbuckers. I never use the middle single coil most Ibanez's come with, and it just always gets in the way. Plus I've moved on past floating bridges. This has a fixed bridge, which is also you something you don't see on every Ibanez. Although it only has 2 pickups, its got a 5 way selector switch. Ibanez brand tuners. It came with an Ibanez gigbag. Nothing special. // 10

Sound: I use different guitars for different genres and styles. I bought this as backup metal style guitar for live. The pickups are a little weak. They are DiMarzio branded, Ibanez special pickups. The neck pickup sounds great. Very smooth. No complaints there. The bridge pickup is a little weak compared to what I'm used to. It's got a smooth sound to it as well, but I like more of edge to the sound personally. They're fine for right now, but I'm going to replace the bridge pickup soon. I'm running this through a Peavey 6505+ head and cabinet. It's not noisy at all right now actually. Due to the lower output pickups and the noise gate I'm using. Its all good! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is gorgeous. They have a few options color wise available for this guitar, and this was the one I wanted. I waited until I could find this color. The pickups came adjusted extremely high from the previous owner. Higher than I ever keep pickups, but as I mentioned earlier, this was probably done in order to compensate for the lower output of the pickups. I didn't have to make any other adjustments on this guitar. It came perfect. I will definitely say its the one of THE smoothest playing guitars I've ever played. Definitely top 3. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its an Ibanez guitar. I've owned a couple lower end models over the years, and even they stood up to anything I was able to throw at it. I have no doubts this will do the same. I switched out the strap buttons for DiMarzio clip locks. that's my strap of choice these days. I buy them for all my guitars. I wouldn't ever gig without a backup, but I could play a whole set easily on this thing. // 10

Overall Impression: For what I bought it for, it'll handle the music perfectly. I've been playing for about 10 years, and have always loved Ibanez guitars. This is the 4th RG I've owned. I currently own a RG1570 Prestige, an LTD MH-1000NT, PRS SE 245, Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro, and a Fender American Strat. I'm only using a few pedals. A pitchblack, Maxon OD808, MXR carbon copy, and an ISP Decimator. I've always been a fan of Ibanez's cool sharktooth inlays, it would be awesome of this guitar had those, but that's just a cosmetic preference. I love this guitar. Once I get the pickups adjusted, it'll be a really great guitar. I'm excited to get to work on it! These seems to go for pretty affordable prices on eBay - if you have the extra cash and are looking for an Ibanez guitar, but don't want a floating bridge - check this out for sure! // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014