RG 1420 FR Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/29/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RG 1420 FR
Ibanez 10th Anniversary RG1420 Prestige Electric Guitar. This guitar sounds better than all tonewood combos I've tried until now.
 8.8
 9.4
 8.1
review (1) pictures (2) 27 comments vote for this gear:
RG 1420 FR Reviewed by: nido, on july 29, 2011

Purchased from: Indian Creek guitars

Features: Spec sheet: Ibanez 10th Anniversary RG1420 Prestige Electric Guitar Features: - Model: 10th Anniversary RG1420 Prestige - Neck: 5-piece maple/walnut - Neck type: Wizard Prestige - Body: basswood - Top: flamed maple - Frets: 24 jumbo frets - Fingerboard: rosewood - Inlays: pearl dots - Neck pickup: V6F - Bridge pickup: V6F - Controls: Volume, Tone, 5-way selector - Hardware: Cosmo black - Bridge: Edge Pro tremolo Excellent specs from Ibanez I subtracted 1 point because this guitar would visually and spec wise def be a 10 if it had some of that gorgeous pearloid Ibanez binding. // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds better than all tonewood combos I've tried until now. This guitar is my 13th guitar and I've now played through lots of build types and tonewood combos. Plain basswood bodies don't work for me. It just gets this funny woofy undefined, (but still brutal grind) sound when striking an open E5 chord through a high gain stack. Now I think the maple top on this guitar def corrects this to a beautiful defined, very balanced high and low and still retains that brutal grind sound brought from the basswood. I feel it is sonically suited for all styles of music. I'm into lots of styles of music metal, zouk, reggae, jazz etc... And that's why I want my one guitar to sound brilliant on all types. The V6 humbuckers on this guitar function really well for all styles. Just use your ear and set the volume and tone knob according to the type of music your playing and your good to go. This thing is a 10 in my book because I can cover all musical styles with just my stock guitar controls and a simple Roland Cube 20X. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar from Indian Creek guitars. It was refurbished so it had a tiny paint imperfection on the back of the body, but I got it for a great price so can't complain. The rest of the guitar is absolutely stunning. Very nice Maple top, frets are prestige worthy. All components very solid on this guitar. No need to fix or swap anything. Edge pro trem speaks for itself. Tuners look allot like gotoh tuners, but they have nothing writen on them. This baby holds tuning very good so I'll leave it as is. I'm trying to be as critical as possible but I cannot subtract anything in this department sorry. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is as mentioned above very solid. All components are solid. The question to use it on a gig without backup is simply stupid, because string breakage can occur at any given moment. On stage the adrenaline can sometimes make you pull and dig in harder on the strings than normal causing breakage. But if you can keep cool and play in a relaxed fashion and only own 1 guitar. I'd say you have a good chance of making it with just this one guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm 29 years old atm I've played guitar since I was 17.I used to be all about metal but I've matured into a player that likes all kinds of styles. My guitar needs to evolve with me so no more EMG's, 22fretters or TOM bridges to limit me. This guitar sounds good with a basic amp like a Roland Cube 20X. I haven't plugged it into my 5150 head yet, but I think the results are def leaning towards the good side. My only gripe with this guitar aesthetically is that its just missing the binding. Check out the new premium RG line they have beautiful binding along the body, neck and headstock. I still got the RG prestige because the Japanese are notorious for build quality and it was loads cheaper than the INDO made RG premium. I really wanted to try out the Maple/Basswood body combo cause its the only one I hadnt tried yet. As written above its my favorite combo til now. Very balanced and can be brutal as well. If it were lost I'd def look up a affordable model with the same specs. Premium perhaps? // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ DT520 Destroyer 8.3 Electric Guitars 09/29/2014