RGA42FM Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 08/27/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RGA42FM
This axe suits my playing very well, I play mostly metalcore/hardcore/djent/whatever you want to call it, which this guitar is great for.
 8.1
 8.4
 7.7
review (1) pictures (6) 2 comments vote for this gear:
RGA42FM Reviewed by: Fornocerous, on august 27, 2013

Price paid: A$ 200

Purchased from: second hand from a friend

Features: This guitar was made in Indonesia in either 2009 or 2010, not exactly sure. It's got a 25.5" scale with 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard, and a 3pc maple neck with the Ibanez Wizard II neck which make it super easy to play on. The body is mahogany with a flamed maple top finished in transparent black, which is absolutely beautiful. Personally one of the most amazing finishes I've seen. It has a superstrat style body with the trademark Ibanez sharp cutaways. The bridge is a Gibraltar standard which I'm personally not a huge fan of but it's better than some. It has Ibanez active LoZ pickups in it which I'm not really a fan of either. It has a volume knob, an active eq toggle switch, and a 3 way pickup selector. Not sure what tuners it has but they look pretty standard, non locking. It also has a DiMarzio cliplock strap on it which I love, but it didn't come with it. I'll give this section an 8 because I love most of it but I don't really like the pickups. // 8

Sound: It suits my playing very well, I play mostly metalcore/hardcore/djent/whatever you want to call it, which this guitar is great for. I use it with a Blackstar HT-Metal tube distortion pedal which sounds great for a distortion pedal, through a Peavey 5150. It has great sustain and little to no noise, but the pickups sound a little too muddy for the tuning I play in (Drop A) so I don't really like the pickups. They're not so bad in higher tunings though, but if anybody is wanting to use this guitar for anything lower than drop C I would recommend replacing the pickups. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is great. It's low enough so that it plays effortlessly, but there's also no fret buzz which is something that bugs me heaps so I love the action. I had to adjust the pickup height when I got it because the neck pickup was way too low when I got it, but after adjusting it it was fine. Like I said before, the flamed maple trans-black finish on this guitar is absolutely stunning. I don't think I've come across a guitar with a nicer finish. The neck and body also have a white binding around them which makes the guitar look even better. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar absolutely withstands live playing. I've used it live regularly over the last few months that I've owned it and had no problems, and the guy I bought it off used it live plenty too and had no problems. The hardware seems very solid, I would be very surprised if it didn't last another 10+ years. The strap buttons have been replaced with a DiMarzio cliplock strap, which is always trustworthy. It's definitely dependable and I use it regularly without a backup of my own, but if I break a string (which happens regardless of any guitar) then I'll borrow a guitar from another band that's playing at the gig. The finish seems really solid, as well as beautiful. There are absolutely no marks on it anywhere and it hasn't been treated with all that much care. The only thing that brings this down from a 10 is that the volume knob is positioned way too close to the bridge pickup for my liking, so I often hit it while playing and it can get in the way when I'm playing on the higher strings. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal/hardcore and this guitar is definitely a good match. The only things that I don't like are the pickups, the volume knob position, and maybe the bridge. The bridge isn't too bad though. I've been playing for a little over 7 years, and the only other notable guitar I've owned is a Dean Vendetta which I personally prefer the sound of, but this guitar far surpasses it in every other category. If it were lost or stolen I think I would buy something else, but I would definitely miss this one a lot. Video from YouTube:

// 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014