RGA7-BK Review

reviews (5) pictures (1) 26 comments vote for this gear:
RGA7-BK Reviewed by: maowcat, on august 19, 2011

Price paid: C$ 600

Purchased from: Long & Mcquade

Features: Ibanez bridge, pickups, Standard tuner's of sorts, nice smooth maple neck with rosewood fretboard, scoop switch, one volume, three way pickup selecter (neck, neck+bridge, and bridge), bolt on Ibanez neck etc. For what you get for this thing it's definitely worth the money. I'm in love with the neck, it plays like a dream, the Bridge is extremely comfortable (could be a little rounder on the edges, digs into my hand sometimes). The scoop Switch is stupid, I swear if anyone ever tries to get me to scoop my mids again I'll slap them across the face. // 9

Sound: The pickups are decent, you can get a decent tone out of it, but it is muddy period, even with a TS. I've played it through a tsl and a dual rec both boosted. For lead playing it lacks gain on the high strings, for chuggy riffs it sounds muddy as crap, for chords it sounds awesome, defined yet very deep, and for lower gain, more classic rock/metal stuff it doesn't sound half bad. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Don't like the gloss finish, satin would be perfect. Nothing was wrong with guitar when I got it, stays in tune, nice action and everything. Nothing to complain about besides that I don't like the finish. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems like a solid guitar I'd have no trouble taking it on the road with me, the strap locks are pretty big but I would definitely put some Schaller strap locks on anyways. The finish is surprisingly resistant to fingerprints and smudges, they still show but not as easy as some guitars. It's got a little bit of weight to it. // 10

Overall Impression: If I keep this guitar (complicated situation) I'll probably Switch the pickup's for some SD Blackout's, maybe change the Bridge to something of higher quality (there is nothing wrong with the Bridge though), get locking tuner's (convenience mostly, and the extra tuning stability), strap locks, and redo some of the wiring and get rid of the stupid scoop switch. I absolutely love the neck and the fact that there isn't a tone knob on the thing, I have never used my tone knob to achieve a desirable tone. If it ever did get stolen I would probably go up to the RGD 7 string cause of the satin finish and no scoop switch. Overall I'd give the guitar a 7.5/10. If it had everything I mentioned above on it, it would definitely be a 9-9.5. // 8

RGA7-BK Reviewed by: MatasTeen, on july 21, 2010

Price paid: € 479

Purchased from: Dijkmans

Features: Details: Colour: black Construction Type: Solid body Neck construction: Bolted neck Strings: 7-string Frets: 24 Body: mahogany Fret board: Rosewood Fretboard Inlays: Dot inlays Pickup type: Active Pickup Neck: IBZ LZ 7-N Pickup Bridge: IBZ LZ 7-B Pick up selecter: 3-way switch Controls: 1x volume, body split switch Bridge / Tremolo: Fixed bridge Hardware: cosmo black // 8

Sound: I mostly play metal and jazz and this guitar is made for the two. Many people often label 7 and 8 strings as metal but they were actually first used in jazz for extended sound and/or adding bass lines. It is easily classified as "perfect" when it comes to playing with distortion and when playing clean you might have to toggle the switches for some time to get the right tone. Even in Standard tuning, the strings sound low-tuned so having the switches on low can result in some heavy tunes. The sound is divided quite nicely and there are no problems between the low and high strings. I play this through my Peavey ValveKing 118 (I believe, though not quite sure) with the clean settings on average 5 and the distortion configuration as: gain-10, bass-10, mid-0, high-10 and the bright Switch on. I keep it pretty simple. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It is a black RG Ibanez model with a pinstripe. The action is quite moderate, not too high, not too low. It is easy to reach the high frets (21, 22, etc.) and sometimes you don't even realize how high up the fretboard you are because there are no setbacks. The guitar stays in tune on Standard and maybe drop A tunings (AEADGBA) but going lower results in a bit of a mess. It has a rosewood fretboard with Dot inlays which look really well on the black body although being a fan of Steve Vai, I would not have minded wine inlays with an ebony neck. I've had this guitar for about a month of two and so far, no adjustments were needed. It came in top shape and still is. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will surely withstand live action and I would feel assured without a backup guitar as I think this guitar would not show drastic changes on the minute. For the time I've had it, it has showed endurance and quality as there have been no problems with the finish or the hardware. It stays in tune and sounds well all the time. // 10

Overall Impression: From day one, I had the feeling that this guitar could force me to innovate my style and playing and so far, I think it has. Not only has it pushed me to write in a 7 stringed tab, it also made me think outside the box in relation to scales, chords and arpeggios. I think this is a great metal and jazz guitar but I believe it could fulfill the needs of even the most die-hard polka musician out there. It saddens me that extended range guitars have been labelled as "METAHL!!!" and "Nu-Metal", but lately it has been changing for better, with these beautiful instruments taking a turn for the more technical, progressive side of the field with bands as Animals As Leaders, Scale The Summit, Dream Theater and Meshuggah. If this guitar was stolen then by God, I would hunt that person down and do things to him/her that not even the deepest, foulest aspects of the mind can measure to. Yeah... I'm that serious. // 10

RGA7-BK Reviewed by: October1, on january 17, 2011

Features: The RGA7 comes in an awesome black colour with white around the edges. The body is made of mahogany, which gives a warm tone with good sustain. The top is slightly curved, and I personally think it looks really good. The back is also curved, and it feels good against my belly :) The neck is bolted on, and has 24 frets that are easy to reach because of the cutaways, but my fat fingers don't play the highest ones pretty well, the tone gets a bit muddy, but that is my fault. :) I really like the neck on the RGA7, the Wizard II, as it is really thin and feels comfortable. I'm used to the Les Paul-type neck, but the RGA7 neck is really nice as well. I don't use whammy bars on guitars much, so I like that the bridge is fixed. If a string snaps, you don't need to go through the whole complicated operation of changing it that people with Floyd Rose guitars have to. The stock pickups are Ibanez' active LZ7, both neck and bridge, which is getting a lot of negative comments all over the Internet. I don't think all of the crap that are said is justified, as they sound OK, but I will definitely change them sometime. I'm not too thrilled about the electronics either, it has that weird Active EQ-button, which doesn't really do much, a volume knob, and a 3-way-pickup switch. The Switch is great, but the volume knob seems a bit loose. When I play hard I sometimes bump my hand on it, and the sound actually disappears for a second. This is probably just some bad wiring, and I will fix it sometime, but it shouldn't be like this. The strings that came with the guitar are far to thin for my taste, will change to .11 or something. And I got a cable with the guitar, but it looked cheap, so I just put it in a drawer as an emergency cable. // 7

Sound: I use only a Roland Cube 30 amp, and Line 6 TonePort UX2 through my computer and into headphones, but I do think the sound is pretty good. I play mostly heavily distorted, Darkseed style, music, and the pickups handles that really well, with some, but not too much noise to be bothered about it. Also the occasional clean song, but I haven't tested that extensively enough yet, but from what I hear, it should do fine there too. I've found that I like the sound best when turning off the Active EQ, and pointing the Switch downwards, to Treble. It gets too muddy for my taste with it set on Rhythm. I do not like the active sound of the pickups that much, and will probably change into passive ones later. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: It was well set up from factory, no need to change the action, and the neck is straight as an arrow. The pickups were set up okay, I guess, but they are powered by 2xAA batteries, which I find very weird. As far as I have found, no flaws at all, except for the somewhat loose volume knob. Everything looks really good, I must stress this fact. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think it would withstand live playing easily. The strap buttons are solid, and the finish seems like it can handle some rough treatment without wearing off (I wouldn't test it, though). The hardware would also withstand it I guess, except for that volume knob. Wouldn't want to miss out on a second or to because I accidentally touched it :( It doesn't detune much, and stays tuned for a long, long time, except for the G-string. But in my experience that is more of an overall thing with all guitars I've tried. // 7

Overall Impression: For me, playing mostly metal-ish music, it is a really good match. It looks awesome, not the Standard look, and feels very good. I have been playing for about 5 years, and this guitar feels like it matches my level, plus some more. I bought it because I wanted to upgrade from a Peavey 7-string, and it is definitely a good upgrade. My only regret is that I don't live in the U.S. when I bought it. Half the price over there :-P I love the body, the colour and arched top, the neck and the general feeling of holding and playing this guitar. It has the same body and neck as the Prestige model, but that one costs A LOT more! I don't like the pick-ups that much, nor the Active EQ-switch. And I will fix the volume knob. So, except for those thing I really like it. I have owned it now for two months and have played it a little every day, and I don't regret buying it at all. (I must also stress the fact that this is the best guitar I have ever owned and played, therefore many of you might think the scores are a little high, but for me, they are correct.) // 7

RGA7-BK Reviewed by: C.Alvestam, on may 08, 2012

Features: This Ibanez was made in 2010, and in Indonesia. This axe has a 25.5" scale, and 24 jumbo frets. Made from maple and walnut. Rosewood fretboard. A beautiful mahogany body, with a very smooth finish. The body style has more of a Strat look, but with sharper edges that let you know that this guitar was made for metal. It has active IBZ-LZ pickups, and a standard 7 string Gibraltar bridge. For controls, it has a volume knob, a 3 way selector, and a toggler thing that I don't know the name of. // 10

Sound: The style in which I play mainly revolves around melodic death metal (Scar Symmetry, Solution.45, etc) and so far, it seems to perfectly fit into that genre. The B string (lowest one) has a very clear, but attention demanding sound to it. I play through a Line 6 Spider 30 watt, and it sounds like a beast, although it sounded high on the treble before messing around with the controls (not sure if it has to do with guitar though). Overall excellent! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not sure how well the guitar was set up (Bought it used) but the action, the pickups, and everything else are flawless. No errors or mistakes are visible to me. Only thing that I would change would be to move the volume knob a bit farther down, as it occasionally (not often) will come into contact with my hand (not a big issue though). // 9

Reliability & Durability: I do not know whether this guitar would withstand a live gig, as I do not do live shows, although it seems to be a pretty sturdy axe, so I think it would be able to perform well on stage. I can depend on this guitar to play well, and it's too early to tell whether it's hardware and such will last long. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar perfectly suits genres that deal with crushing riffs, and fast, shredding solos. I've been playing for nearly 6 years, and getting to know this 7 string will definitely be an interesting experience. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again, and again, you get the point. I love that this guitar is not only great for beginning 7 string guitarists, but it is also perfect for veterans of the 7 string axes. I don't think I could ask for a better guitar. // 9

RGA7-BK Reviewed by: enswinchester, on may 22, 2012

Price paid: C$ 677

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: Construction: Bolt-on neck - Scale: 25.5 - Body: Mahogany - Neck/Fretboard: 5-pc. Mahogany/walnut Wizard II - Inlays: Pearl Dot - Pickups: Ibanez LoZ-7 active set - Electronics: Volume, 3-way blade, mid boost switch - Hardware: Chrome Ibanez stock tuners, Gibraltar string thru bridge - Binding: Cream binding around body and neck, but not headstock. - Frets: 24 Jumbo - Colors: Black only // 7

Sound: I play heavy metal, i.e. Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, etc., and I have a pretty simple rig, running through a Peavey transtube supreme 100 watt head, Crate 4x12 cab, and a pedal board with a Boss Metalcore ML-2, NS-2, and a few simple effects and a tuner. I have several guitars that sound so good using this setup however, the pickups here are just plain bad. They're Ibanez design active LoZ pickups, that run on double A batteries and for active pickups, these things suck. They're way too weak, and the lack of a tone knob kind of takes away from various sounds you could get with this. There is however, the most useless switch in the guitar that boots the mids, but it only makes it sound really, really muddy. Compared to the EMGs I have in other guitars, they are just terrible. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup wasn't that great, and I ended up having it brought back for a proper setup, since I'm too hotheaded to do it myself. Everything otherwise was pretty damn good. No flaws or blemishes in the body, the frets were fine, and everything seemed to work okay. Once everything was properly setup, it played really well. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the chance to play this one live yet, and I have never played any other seven string guitars so I can't really say how reliable it would be when put up against others. However, from what I have done with it so far, it doesn't look like it would fail anybody when they needed it the most. I would gig with it over and over again, but I would keep a backup guitar just in case. I've had this guitar several months now, and the finish hasn't lost its shine yet, and doesn't look like its anywhere near it, so I'd say that holds up pretty well too. I'd suggest swapping out the strap buttons for a pair of decent locking buttons though as these ones don't hold onto the strap too well. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said, I play heavy, melodic metal, and this thing, aside from the pickups, does very well with the style. I've been playing for five years now and this is the sixth Ibanez I've owned as they always seem to make good guitars. I wish it had a tone knob instead of a mid boost, and I seriously wish it had come with EMGs or Blackouts, but that's something that can be changed. If I had ever lost it, I probably would look into other models of seven strings, but I would eventually always buy one of these again later on. Overall, if you're looking for a half decent seven string guitar, get it. It's not as expensive as some seven strings I've seen, and will hold up to pretty much any style you want to play. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014