RGA72TQM Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/26/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RGA72TQM
To me, this is the Ibanez version of the Les Paul. It is a quality instrument that will hold up to the test of time. Overall, I really like the guitar (quality, look, features, acoustic sound).
 7.6
 8.2
 6.9
review (1) pictures (2) 18 comments vote for this gear:
RGA72TQM Reviewed by: Borderline11, on april 26, 2012

Purchased from: Used - Guitar Center

Features: Made in 2010, this neck-through, arch-top body is an incredible offering from Ibanez. It has 24 frets over a bound high quality rosewood fretboard. The back of the neck is finished like the rest of the guitar. Regarding the Ibanez model, RG is the body style, the "A" signifies that it is an arch-top (more mass in the center of the body due to the raised center of the guitar face), T is for tremolo (the 2010 model has the Edge III, beginning in 2011, the ZR trems were used), QM is for quilted maple top over a mahogany body. In 2010, the face shows the white bound outline for the QM. In 2011, there is no white binding on the face. The 2 Humbucking active pick-ups for 2010 are made by Ibanez (LoZ3). In 2011, the Ibanez pick-ups were replaced with EMG 85/81. One volume control, a 3 way pick-up selector switch, and a mid-range boost switch instead of a tone control. Easy access compartment for the 2 Double A batteries. // 9

Sound: I mainly used a Fender Mustang III to evaluate this guitar. The combination of the neck-though with the added mass of the arch-top, produces top-notch sustain and overtones! The neck pick-up is high-output and thick sounding. Clean, it sounds good, but is too warm and overdriven for some of the (clean) Vintage amp models on the Mustang. With distortion, chords sound too muddy for my tastes, but I still used it for round, fat tones while playing lead. The Bridge Pick-up is average sounding for chording and lead. It just didn't capture me emotionally. It's almost too polite. The guitar is well made, I just wish I had spent the extra money to get the 2011 version with the EMGs. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This is hands down the most well made guitar I have owned. Beautiful wood, exceptional finish, quality parts, stays in tune, sustain, overtones. Everything I like is in this guitar (except the perfect sound from the pick-ups). Since this was a used guitar, I had to do extensive set up. Please don't set up a guitar until you are sure you know what you are doing! Read the Ibanez manual, it will help you with most adjustments. Some people don't like the Ibanez chrome-black finish that changes to more of a patchy black color over time. I really don't mind that given that my finish is transparent gray and matches the change. // 9

Reliability & Durability: To me, this is the Ibanez version of the Les Paul. It is a quality instrument that will hold up to the test of time. However, the volume pot does need replacing, due to not responding well to quick turn-down. It turns down, then at nearly closed, it goes back to full volume. My experience is that about 50% of all used volume pots have a quirk. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I really like the guitar (quality, look, features, acoustic sound), but the pick-up sound is not for me. A change in pick-ups would probably help this. OK - This field requires 96 more characters to complete it, so I'll use this space to rant about missing trem arms on used guitars! Ha! Are they collectable? Is that why most are missing the arm? I picture this one guy with a pile of trem arms, just to see how many he can collect. Cheers! // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ S1520 8.2 Electric Guitars 04/23/2014