RGD2127Z Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 11/30/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RGD2127Z
This seems like an awesome guitar, but unfortunately there is a lemon every now and then.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.5
 Features: 8.5
 7.9
 8.3
 7.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 66 comments vote for this gear:
RGD2127Z Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 07, 2011

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: - Basswood Body - Invisible Shadow Finish (Black Satin) - 5 Piece Maple/Wenge Prestige neck - Rosewood fretboard - 26.5" Scale Length - 24 frets - HP finished neck - Double-locking Edge Zero bridge - Gotoh tuners - 1 volume - 3 way switch - Ibanez V87 Custom/ V77 Custom pickups - Cosmo Black Hardware No I didn't buy this guitar used. I had a 15% coupon so that's why it was $1440 and not $1600. This guitar seemed perfect for me and the style I was going for. When I got this guitar, I was already kind of disappointed seeing that not only does it not come with a Prestige case, but the case I got was practically broken at the hinges. I kind of blew it off because I didn't see that as being the most important part of my purchase. When I opened the case, I was blown away. This guitar was so beautiful. I did notice, however, that on the forearm bevel there was a ding in it. So already 2 points of where this guitar was obviously not very cared for. Supposedly, this guitar is supposed to come with some kind of screws that go into the bridge of the guitar that locks it into place. This guitar did not come with them, and I believe that they were not installed as well. This ultimately led to the return of this guitar, but I'll elaborate more on that in the Action, Fit, and Finish section. I also came to dislike the bridge strongly as I had never encountered a double-locking bridge before and felt no care to become accustomed to using one. 7 for good features, but poor quality the guitar came in and my dislike for the bridge. // 7

Sound: This guitar actually had a pretty good tone in my opinion. I always hear people dissing on Ibanez pickups, but these pickups had pretty tight bass with defined highs and a great midrange (it wasn't too middy, yet not too scooped). The Baritone scale probably added to the tone of the notes as well. If this guitar had come with a fixed bridge, this would've definitely been a keeper in my opinion purely for the tone of it. Distortion had great twang because of the scale length, and chords on clean sounded huge with the bottom end the scale provides. Definitely recommend this guitar if you're a fan of double locking bridges and a huge, twangy, Baritone sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Here's where I get pissed haha. Okay, so first off, this guitar comes tuned down a whole step from standard stock. Cool idea, but why in the world would you put 10-56s stock on that? Not nearly enough tension for the bass strings. Not only that, but the action was high already. I had originally planned to just play it in Drop A so I tuned it up and the action was high as hell. It was impossible to play anything past the 3rd-4th fret so I could barely do anything on this guitar except stupid chugs. Intonation was about the only thing spot-on with this guitar. Here's where those missing screws come into play. I go on Ibanez's website and watch their tutorial with the socially-awkward dude trying to explain to you how this stupid bridge works. Supposedly, there's screws inside the two main bridge posts that you use your Prestige Tool that comes with the guitar to unlock with a smaller allen wrench and then adjust the action with a larger allen wrench; practically a TonePros system for a double-locking bridge. Did exactly what the video told me to do, and there was no screw in the bridge stud. I'd assume since those are supposed to lock the bridge in place then the bridge would be free to adjust it then. But no, still couldn't adjust the action with the larger allen wrench, ultimately leaving me in despair with super high action on an unbelievably nice 7 string. The Edge Zero definitely wasn't a favorite of mine either. Didn't realize how much of a bitch it is to tune those things. Call me ignorant or green or whatever. All I can tell you is that I absolutely hated that thing by hour one. Spent the very same day I got the guitar blocking the bridge. I ended up using a stack of pennies knowing that they wouldn't compress like this crappy ply-wood I had tried to use before. In the end, this guitar just straight up pissed me off and I decided to return it. The neck was sweet though. The body was smooth, but the neck was like butter; must've been some kind of oil finish because it was ridiculously smooth. If I could've taken another Ibanez 7 string body and just stuck the neck on it then I would've been perfectly content. Sorry guys, but I'm gonna have to give this section a 4. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Well, if this guitar had worked out in the end, I would've trusted it with my life. It never went out of tune when the nut was locked down and the guitar itself was pretty solid, but still super light. I love the neck joint of Ibanezes because of how sturdy they are. Nothing gives me more security than knowing my bolt-on neck has 4 massive screws in it. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm not gonna completely down talk Ibanez on this one because I've played other Ibanez guitars before and have been very impressed. It just so happened that I got a lemon, which happens from time to time. Of course, this did leave an everlasting impression on me to NEVER get another guitar with a floating bridge and to stick completely with fixed or non-recessed bridges (Parker being the only exception because their bridges are freakin awesome). Yeah, I'd get another Ibanez, but only if it has a fixed bridge. It's unfortunate that so many prestiges are only fitted with the floating bridges, or I'd buy more Ibanez guitars than anything. The day an RGD Prestige comes with a fixed bridge, I'll sell everything I've got to get the first one. But hey, if you shred like crazy and want a sick guitar, definitely check these out. // 7

- Ryan Pullin (c) 2011

RGD2127Z Reviewed by: blackbird51, on november 30, 2011

Features: Introduced in 2010. Made in Japan. - Basswood body - 5-piece maple/wenge Wizard Prestige neck - 26-1/2" scale - Full-step down factory tuning: A-D-G-C-F-A-D (7th to 1st strings) - Jumbo frets - Rosewood fingerboard - Pearl dot inlays - Edge Zero 7 Tremolo with ZPS3 (Zero-Point System 3) - V77 Custom neck pickup by Ibanez (passive) - V87 Custom bridge pickup by Ibanez (passive) - Gotoh Tuners non-locking - Full Matte Black Finish (Invisible Shadow) - KTS Tone Resonant Dual Titanium Rods inside neck Included Ibanez Prestige Hardcase that contained an Ibanez Prestige multi-tool kit, instruction manual, tremolo bar, and extra springs. // 10

Sound: My style of music is Djent/Progressive/Metalcore/Thrash. Think Periphery, The Human Abstract, Animals As Leaders, Meshuggah, Protest The Hero, Between The Buried And Me. If you came here thinking I play just classic rock and blues you might want to stop reading. This is a guitar for serious metal musicians. I run the guitar through a Peavey 3120 all tube head into a Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab. Using an EQ in the FX loop and an Ibanez Tubescreamer to Drive the tubes harder. In a band setting, the guitar is pretty much perfect; the tone out of the Ibanez pickups are great. Mind you I have guitars that come equipped with DiMarzios/Bareknuckles/Duncans/GFS etc etc and the tone out of these STOCK Ibanez pickups are phenomenal. I have yet to find a need to replace these pickups with something else. A Lundgren M7 in the bridge is the only option I am thinking about for the future with this axe. The V87 and V77 custom pickups have nice rich sounds, comparable to a Tone Zone/Air Norton combination. The bridge pickup is Alnico and the Neck is Ceramic. A Djenty tone is no problem with this axe. No noise, the sound is what you expect out of a Basswood body guitar, no surprises here. The Edge Zero tremolo on this axe is outstanding. It came with the Zero-Point System which basically makes the tremolo more rigid and helps keep it more stable so double-stop bends are a little more in tune and you have more sustain. You can however remove the system easily from the back and put the bridge into full-floating mode, which I have done recently to get the radical flutters you expect from an OFR or Edge Pro. I compared the bridge to an OFR and there's very little difference. The OFR is a little more easy to mess with but that's probably because I compared it to a 6-string OFR and this is a 7-string so there's more tension. Overall flutters are a breeze and sound sick. Never had ANY tuning issues with the guitar while abusing the tremolo bar. Extra scale length on the guitar isn't for most people. The neck is longer; this means when you are going from a 25.5" guitar to this guitar it's going to feel DIFFERENT. It takes getting used to, and I am very used to playing this guitar, I go from this guitar to my smaller scale 6-strings and after a while you just get used to it. Shredding is actually a lot easier on this guitar due to the scale length being longer. The upper frets are huge compared to my regular RG (which has extra jumbo frets) Extra cut-away makes playing on the higher frets EFFORTLESS! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up PERFECTLY. Everything on the guitar was pristine and perfect, action, truss rod everything... I cannot put in words to describe the first time playing this guitar. It felt right in your hands and the feel of the HP prestige neck is just amazing. Beveled body helps with comfort as well. Amazing access to higher frets. Pickups are fine. The only flaw with the guitar and the only reason why this guitar did not get a 10 is the pickup selector switch. It's not too noticeable on a distorted setting, but when I play clean (and I play clean a lot) the middle position was cutting into the humbuckers and not splitting correctly. Thankfully I had manufacturer's warranty to replace the switch, so make sure you have a warranty because it's most likely a cheap switch they used. Other than that, zero flaws with me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Played a lot of gigs with this axe, dropped it twice unfortunately. So there are a couple dings already, but the guitar works, sounds great, that's all I care about. Just be careful with this axe, it will dent very easily and the paint will chip easily as well. Hardware CAN be an issue due to the pickup selector switch, which is why this gets a 9 instead of a 10. Strap buttons are extra large, meaning you don't need a strap lock AT ALL for it, I have yet to have the strap button fail on me. Wouldn't need a backup with this guitar. Especially with the ZPS-3 system if you break a string you will remain in tune no problem. The finish won't wear off over time but there will be smudges. I already notice some smudges near the strings where my hand always is..but this is normal with all guitars that don't have pick-guards so it doesn't bother me. // 9

Overall Impression: Perfect match for my style of Djent/Progressive/Metalcore/Thrash. Been playing for 5 years, own tons of gear, not going to waste time listing my entire inventory though. If you are curious then check my profile. If it were stolen/lost I would save for another, plain and simple. I have yet to try a better 7-string when it comes to feel, playability, sound and appearance. Love everything about it and hate nothing. Favorite feature is the prestige HP neck and the way it feels. I compared this axe to an EBMM JPXI 7-string. the only contender worthy for this axe (IN MY OPINION) This guitar is miles ahead of the JPXI, and a lot cheaper. The Prestige HP Wizard neck is second to none. Nothing more I would want out of this guitar. Doesn't need a tone knobs, this axe is pure tone. If you are looking to buy this guitar I highly recommend buying it new, and when I say this I do not mean go to your local music store and pick one up that has already been messed with. BUY IT NEW! you won't have any problems. I ordered mine straight from the Ibanez factory through Guitar Center. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014