RGD7421 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 11/02/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RGD7421
This is a great 7 string for the price. I love the thin neck and extended scale.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Features: 7.5
 6.6
 7.6
 5.6
reviews (2) pictures (1) 16 comments vote for this gear:
RGD7421 Reviewed by: JoEDaMaGE, on june 15, 2012

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: The Ibanez RGD7421 specs, basswood body, 5pc/Maple/Walnut Wizard II neck at 26.5 scale, with a fixed Gibraltar Standard 7 Bridge. Ibanez pickups. One volume and 3 way selector. Comes factory tuned one step down (ADGCFAD), strung from the factory with D'Addario Reg Light 7string set (10-59). // 7

Sound: Out of the box the one thing that struck me first was the neck. Compared to the many ESP's I own, the Ibanez neck is very thin. Thin in a good way. Now I own a ESP MHB-401 which is a 27 scale Baritone factory tuned to B, with a 10-58 gauge strings with EMG's. That guitar to me, feels perfect in the tension area for the B tuning. The Ibanez out of the box felt too floppy and almost unplayable with the string set it had on it. Not too mention I wasn't thrilled with the stock Ibanez pickups. Too muddy and undefined. Generally when I buy new guitars if they don't have EMG's in them, I swap em out. For the Ibanez guitar I wanted to try something different, so I decided to try a Duncan Blackout, with a string gauge change to try and correct the loose tension. I installed the Blackout, and went with a D'Addario 11-49 with a 62 for the low A string. The guitar now sounds 100X better. Tension is great for fast chugging and alternate picking. Chords are way clearer. The Duncans blow the stock pickups out of the water, they compliment the guitar well, but at first listen are very similar to EMG's. I'll have to put some time in with the Duncans to see if I can really hear the difference. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: See Above. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Seems reliable. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I think this is a great 7 string for the price of $599. I have been playing guitar for 15 years, own about 20 guitars, mostly play metal blah blah blah. I have had experience with seven strings before. This guitar is my first Ibanez, as I am mostly a ESP player. I love the thin neck and extended scale. I do advise changing the pickups, and string gauges. I don't know if I am just a hard picker, but out of the box chords and fast picking sound sloppy because of the tension issue. I mainly will use this guitar to jam on Fear Factory tracks. As I stated earlier, I had great success with the 62 gauge string upgrade. Hope this was helpful. // 8

RGD7421 Reviewed by: jeleopard, on november 02, 2012

Features: Made in 2012 in Indonesia, this monster sports a 24 fret neck with a 26.5" Baritone (or semi-Baritone) scale. As per the Ibanez norm, the neck is very thin. Made of basswood with a 5 piece maple/walnut neck and a Rosewood fretboard, sporting the Gibraltar bridge (which I like) and passive Ibanez pickups. Standard, run of the mill tuners. Included was a patch cable (which I dislike, the cable is very thin and is hard to take out of jacks) and allen wrenches. // 8

Sound: Ugh. These Ibanez pickups. This is my first Ibanez guitar, and have heard the stories of their pickups, but thought, like most, that the stories were just over-exaggerated. Nope. The Ibby pickups are dull and lifeless, especially the bridge (the neck clean sound isn't soooo bad). They make me quite aggravated. I made a setting on my amp to kinda compensate with the poop-quality pickups, but until I get my hands on D-Activator bridge and Liquifire neck pickups, I gotta deal with them. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: I really only had to lower the G string, it was... a little higher than the others. It was easily dealt with. Really rather solid in construction. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not had a lot of use, but it seems very solid and durable. I'd totally gig with it. The buttons seems a little small, but that doesn't matter to me; my DiMarzio strap just came in today. // 9

Overall Impression: I plehs metlulz. Really, this is my first 7 string, and I love it (aside from the pickups). The 26.5" threw me off a little at first, but I adapt quickly, and love the clarity of low notes I get. Looking forward to tuning down low and see what I can do. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014