RGR08LTD Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 10/29/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RGR08LTD
The Ibanez RGR08LTD BK 2008 Spring Special Gear of the Ninja Limited Edition electric guitar mounts a single Seymour Duncan Blackout cobalt magnet active bridge humbucker for aggressive playing styles, like the ninjas themselves.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
reviews (4) 21 comments vote for this gear:
RGR08LTD Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 02, 2008

Price paid: A$ 650

Purchased from: South Coast Music

Sound: I play Coldwave-ish industrial/metal style stuff, every now and then venturing into "nu-metal" territory so that probably kills anyone taking me seriously. But still, it's a great guitar, the pickups are a little noisy, but that's to be expected with high output pickups. Honestly, I actually expected it to be more noisy given my setup. Being put through a Randall Vmax head and Warhead 4X12 cabinet. Sounds like a car wreck, but in that good way. Kinda scooped, and really really grinding distortion, but very clear. Sounds a lot like Fear Factory (I discovered the other day that they were actually designed with/for Dino Cazares of Fear Factory, so I suppose this has something to do with the sound). Nice clean sound, though I wouldn't really use it for a crystal clear clean. Good for effected and edgy clean sounds. Perhaps a little cold though? I would definately reccomend the guitar be used more for aggressive styles of music, but I would not discount the idea of using it as a cleaner style. Not for blues though. The other reviewer said that the sound was muddy, I think it boils down to what amp you are using, what gauge strings you are using, and how good you are at playing, as it definately amplifies ANY mistakes you make. Personally, I found them to be fine, even with slightly more intricate riffs/leads. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: So easy to play. Had a small chip on the bottom, but I was made aware of this at the time of purchase, and it got me a 30% discount, so I can't complain there. The piickup was set up fine, the strings were set up great, tuning was a little off, but not too bad for something that had been sitting on a shelf for 2.5 months. Everything generally felt really tight and good. Plays like a dream. The single volue knob and killswitch may turn people off due to lack of versatility, but for the price, and for what it was intended to do, it's perfect and obviously, if you aren't happy with it, buy another guitar (like the Mick Thompson Slipknot Signature, basically the same, but an Alder body I think and 2 blackouts). I take 1 point off purely because of the slight chip. Other than that, perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I feel like it's a great guitar, and Ibanez make awesome stuff. I own another 7 string Ibanez, and it's lasted years. The hardware, whilst not big brand stuff definately feels solid, and it's just so easy to play. haven't gigged with it yet tho, so it gets a 6 for now. // 6

Overall Impression: Its a perfect match for any kind of heaviosity, and the Blackout definately gives it a really unique and amazing voice. Definately sounds better with tube amps (my Randall has tube and solid state in one, and it brings a new life to the tube channel! ) If it were stolen, I'd cry, then find the person that stole it and beat him to death with some oversized and disgustingly heavy Gibson beast. I like how simple it is, perfect for what I needed! // 10

RGR08LTD Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 29, 2008

Purchased from: GAK (instore)

Features: 2008 model, Indonesain made, 24 fret wizard II neck (bolt on), black basswood body, reverse headstock, white binding on body, neck and headstock, Ibanez own string thru body bridge, 1 Seymour Duncan Blackout (active) bridge pickup, 1 volume, 1 toggle killswitch, non-locking Ibanez tuners, all hardware black barring the killswitch (chrome) // 8

Sound: This guitar does one kind of sound well - metal and all it's variants; consider that the one pup that this guitar has installed was designed by Dino Cazares and Seymour Duncan to replace the Livewire active pickups made by SD, and to outdo EMG in the active pickup market. I think that they managed it very well; the Blackout is the direct competitor to the EMG 81 and it kicks it's ass in terms of tonal quality and charcter imo. The Blackout (like most SD pups) sounds more organic, has more mids, doesn't have that silly, vacant "scooped" sound - which only sounds good if you are playing alone. Dino himself acknowledged this and changed all his EMG 707 pups to SD 7-string blackouts. I'm uselss at describing the sound of a pickup, but if you want to hear what the Blackout in the bridge postion sounds like, listen to any of the recent Alexi Laiho, Mick Thomson, or Dino Cazares (for the 7-string version), videos on Youtube. On a side note - this pickup is sooooooooooooo quiet - absolutely no noise when you're not playing which lends itself perfectly to tight low-end riffing. in terms of variety, this guitar can only make the sound of this pickup fully cranked (bcoz it lacks a tone knob), so forget nice neck-style cleans or any sort of twang or subtlety. Basically it's so good at what it does, that even though it can only do one thing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It came with thin ass D'Addario 9-42s, which I switched to Ernie Ball beefy slinkies, and tuned the thing down to drop c, but even so the guitar was well set up from the store with minimal fret-buzz. Finish was flawless - does get grimy easily tho. A note about the neck -if you are used to playing any neck thicker than that on a Fender strat/tele then this will not suit you; it's soooooooooo thin it's untrue. I personally love the Wizard II for this reason bcoz it facilitates FAST playing, with predominantly, single note riffs, but not very useful for playing extended chord progressions (what I use my Strat for); I would reccomend Schecter superstrats to those used to playing Gibsons and the like, but wanting something more metal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I plan to use this live, and as long as I check the 9v battery powering the pup, it should be fine, even without a backup; change the strap buttons, just so that you have piece of mind (choose Dunlop or Schaller or something), I might install schaller locking tuners - bcoz my Fender american hss has them and they keep that in tune perfectly. The ibnez non-locking ones are ok, but just not as good as locking Schallers imo. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a perfect match for any sort of metal; I've been playing for 5 years and I also own an american made deluxe fat Strat; I love this guitar because it just exudes metal! gives a much more powerful sound than my Strat, and of course the killer feature is the absolutely banging SD Blackout! I compared this thing to various alder body Jackson superstrats with EMGs in them, I played them on the same day as this, and well, they sounded sterile and lifeless. I don't wish this guitar had any other features, bcoz the simplicity of this guitar makes you focus on your playing (nothing to piss around with). // 10

RGR08LTD Reviewed by: terrorbite, on may 12, 2008

Purchased from: Nevada Music

Features: This is a 2008 limited edition model. It's just a regular Ibanez (not a Prestige) and was made in Indonesia. It has 24 jumbo frets, with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. The front of the headstock is painted black. However, the back of the headstock and the whole neck are just the maple wood. The body is made of basswood with a beautiful shiny black finish, and the body and neck have white binding which is a nice touch and makes it look a bit more interesting. It has a non-descript fixed bridge, with thru-body stringing. The nut and tuners are just run of the mill. It came with D'addario XL strings, although I don't know what the guage was. I replaced them with Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys anyway. This guitar is very similar to the RGR321EX. What sets it apart (and makes it "limited edition" is that it only has a single pickup, a Seymour Duncan Blackout active humbucker. It has one volume knob and in place of the tone knob is a killswitch, which is a cool feature. However, it's not a push button Switch but a stiff, flicky Switch which I don't like so I'm going to replace it. The stock killswitch is almost useless if you want to play songs by the likes of Buckethead. Another limited edition feature is the double Dot inlays, which look pretty sweet. I guess overall there is nothing special about the features of this guitar (apart from the killswitch), but as the blurb on the Ibanez site says "this special RGR is terrifyingly simple, but powerful enough to acomplish your missions on stage". // 7

Sound: For the record, I'm no good at describing a guitar's tone. In fact, I hate the different words people use. According to the Seymour Duncan website, the Blackout pickup is a "9-volt active humbucker for aggressive playing styles. Recommended for old school metal, garage, punk, thrash, drop tunings, and other heavy rock styles." I'm running it through a Boss ME-50 multi-fx board and a Roland Cube amp. Clean, it sounds good, and when I turn on the distortion, it sounds pretty good too when you're playing rhythm - very Metallica-esque. However, it doesn't sound amazing, at least in my opinion, when playing lead metal guitar. Like I say, I'm no good at describing these things, but I think this pickup is a bit too bassy for my liking. One good thing though is that it's practically noiseless (it was designed to be so). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Considering this wasn't a Prestige guitar, it arrived surprisingly well set up from the Ibanez factory. It even came with a little inspection card, where each aspect of assembly and set-up had been checked and signed off. Intonation was perfect. Action was almost perfect (the B string felt a bit too low for my liking). No fret buzz problems. There were no flaws at all in the guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would easily withstand Live playing. Having said that, I've never used it in that situation but I'm sure it'd be fine. The hardware, apart from the pickup, is all Ibanez branded, so I don't know how well it will last but it's a technically basic guitar anyway so I can't foresee any problems. It's pretty good at staying in tune. // 9

Overall Impression: The main styles of music I play are metal, hard rock and pop-punk. I bought this because I didn't own any 24 fret, thin-necked guitars and wanted something I could practice metal lead guitar on (without a Floyd Rose). It does the job fine and is a pretty cool guitar (the fact it's limited edition adds to that), although I might look into replacing the pickup with an EMG-81. I'm going to replace the killswitch too with a push button rather than the useless stiff toggle it has got at the moment). Apart from those 2 things, I'm pretty happy with it overall and would recommend it if it's the kind of guitar you're looking for. // 8

RGR08LTD Reviewed by: mysistermeac, on august 19, 2008

Purchased from: akesson musik

Features: It's made in indonesia 2008 and has a 24 fret neck. The body is basswood and I think with a nice black finish and the bridge is fixed wich I like becuse I don't think the cheaper Ibanez has nice floyds. Active pickups, the most impressive feature on this guitar; Seymour Duncan blackouts! And the guitar was suprisingly cheap as well. It has one volume knob and killswitch wich kind of suprised me too. Very nice and suprising features on such a cheap guitar. Could easily have been a prestige, just need some better wood for the neck. // 10

Sound: It suits my music style very good, I play metal and metal only. I play in a band soo this guitar is for that and I only use the bridge pickup up soo it's just nice to have just one. I am using a Line 6 6w practice amp at the moment, my Randall head hasn't arrived yet but I think it sounds pretty sweet just from the little Line 6. Bright and full sound, sounds good for solo but it's good for rythm too! It don't has soo much variety but I don't need variety soo, it's all good. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was near perfect, it stays in tune and all that. Tho I will change strings and all that becuse I need another gauge on my strings. Not any flaws on it, very nice condition. And it stays in tune very well and the finish is just killer! It owns all the looks of guitars out there! It's clean and simpel and I like that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It will withstand live playing, the hardware, strap buttons are all good and this is my main guitar soo I will and can depend on it. The finish will last forever and yes I would and will use it without a back up for now. But in the future I will gig a lot with it with my Randall amp and I am sure it will pass the test. This is a great guitar and if you have the chance to buy it, buy it! It's great for its price, I am in a schock it's so cheap! // 10

Overall Impression: Soo I play metal in a metal band, sounds and feels very nice for that. I've been playing for almost 7 years now and I will soon have a Randall Head with a Marshall cab. To bad I didn't make this review when that arrived but I can asure you this is a great guitar! And the price is shocking! If it was stolen I would probably stop playing guitar, it fits me perfectly and it's not to many made of these so would maybe not have the chance to get one of these again. I love that it has a fixed bridge and a blackout! I hate that it's hard to keep the finish clean but that's not a big problem. I compared it to a Dean Razorback, it owns all Deans and ESP's! It has all that I wish soo I think wish anything more for this guitar // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014