RGR320EX Review

7.6
reviews (4) 57 comments vote for this gear:
RGR320EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 17, 2007

Purchased from: Store in Portugal

Features: This Ibanez RGR320EX is a 2007 model, made in Indonesia. It features 24 Jumbo frets on a Wizard II, thin and flat bolt-on rosewood neck. The headstock is reversed; the tuners face down. Comes with an Ibanez Edge 3 double-locking whammy-bar and two passive Humbuckers designed by EMG. The Switch is a three-way one. And the body is the usual RG Super Strat in basswood with a slightly textured greyish black finish that goes by the name of Roadrage Black. With the exception of a small cable, the Allen keys and an extra spring, nothing is included with the guitar // 7

Sound: I bought this guitar for Metal, and it does an excellent job at that. It is great for fast playing and shoots out the notes very clearly even with good amounts of distortion. Great for lead and soloing. Though it does give some beautiful sounds through a clean channel, it is not a very versatile guitar. The possibilities are somewhat limited if you want to open up your musical range. I wouldn't recommend it for a chord-based take on music, there is a point where the pickups will sound a little muddy. When I compare it to my Stratocaster, I can really hear its limitations when it comes to versatility. There is just no comparison to the amount of different sounds I can get from the Strat. I have played this guitar through a Marshal AVT150X and a Fender 65. I have also used a DigiTech RP250 effects pedal. Again I can tell you that my Strat can make more out of the amps and effects. The RGR320EX is deffinitely not a multi-functional guitar, but it is wonderfull at what it does. The EMGs are the reason why I bought the guitar. They have a wonderful sustain - more than you will find in equivalently priced guitars. If you want a guitar for all forms of Metal, you will find these pickups quite the blessing. They are not noisy at all and yet are able to give sounds with great attack and punch. You should try those Dimebag-like screeching harmonics to hear just how great the sustain is. For me the EMGs are alone worth it. But they are the blessing and the curse. Wonderful for heavy music but lackluster for nearly everything else. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came with a really very poor setup on the edge whammy-bar. I went through all kind of complications with this. To tune-up seemed an impossible mission at first. When I was adjusting the spring tension to meet the string tension, one of the screws came clear out of the body (which doesn't say much for the quality of the wood). I substituted the two screws which hold the strings for larger and sturdier ones, which was a great improvement. After some 60 minutes of work I finally managed to get a proper tuning and it has since kept it fairly well. The action can be put quite low, with only minor rattle on the low E String, which won't be noticed through the amp and that does not even exist when the string is picked separately. And the intonation was wounderful all the way from the start. The finish is very good. Very comfortable neck and frets. The only problem with the guitar is deffinitely the Edge 3 bridge. I will change it in time and advise you to do the same. It is a poorly built piece. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I would not play this guitar Live without a backup. It is not at all a fragile thing, but the bridge is bound to give a few problems sooner or later, especially when using it to raise pitch. The finnish is sure to last. As well as the strap buttons and overall hardware. I see no major flaws in the guitar, and with a change to a better bridge I would even consider playing it without a backup. The Edge 3 really is the single problem. // 6

Overall Impression: If you want something for Heavy Metal or Punk or Core music, I believe this is great for its price. The pickups will really ensnare you with the sustain, speed and clearness. These EMGs did it for me, they alone sold the guitar. On the other hand, this guitar is not for beginners. it's lack of versatility is lousy for the needs of someone Who is still learning different styles or for someone Who possesses only one guitar. And as I said before, the pickups will not service someone Who plays chord-based music, the strumming will come out muddy. I love the look of the guitar; the reverse headstock does contribute with style to the agressive look. If it were stolen and I had the same amount of money to spend, I would buy it again. But if I could spend a little more money, I would deffinitely look for something with a better bridge. The Edge 3 is it's only serious fault. It is the only thing you should be warned about before getting it. Substitute it if you can. Otherwise it's a wounderful instrument. // 7

RGR320EX Reviewed by: royals_rocker, on april 09, 2007

Purchased from: Music Produktiv

Features: This guitar is new for 2007. It has 24 jumbo frets on an Ibanez Wizard II flat neck, and edge 3 double locking bridge with tremelo, a basswood boday, and it has a textured matt black finish, which Ibanez name roadrage black. it's a Super Strat style guitar, with passive pickups designed by EMG for Ibanez. It has two of these EMG humbucker pickups, and a 3 way selector Switch. The tuners are also locking. // 9

Sound: Readng up on the Ibanez website, it says that the RG series of guitars is designed for metal music. I play all sorts of music, Heavy metal, blues, rock, classic rock, and this guitar hasn't failed me in matching any of those styles. I have a Laney HCM30R amp, and this guitar sounds quite good with this amp. On the treble pickup, it does sound a lot brighter and better than my previous guitar, which was a Les Paul Copy, and the rythm pickup also soudns very good.; Thier is hardly any noise produced on either pickup, and the pickups are still extremely responsive. By using the tremelo arm on the guitar, it is possible to make a whole range of extreme, wacky and breathtaking sounds, but the whammy bar does occasionally make the guitar go out of tune while using it, but a slight knock in the opposite direction sorts out that problem. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Now before I got this guitar, I didn't know all about set ups, so igot the guitar, and played it for a few days, then decided to tune down to drop d down 1 step. the whole bridge sunk, and the strigns wer touching the pickups and it needed all to be raised. I raised it up and had numerous problems and took it a shop for a set up. The man told me it wasn't set up at all and that it was in a bad conditon. Before it is set up also, it WILL NOT tune. I got it to the right note and then it went flat so I tightened the string again and again, and this ended up lifting up the bridge, so it is absoloutely essential that this guitar is set up properly before use, but other than that, now it is fine, the action is good, and everything is staying how it should. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Since I tuned it a week ago, the guitar hasn't gone out of tune, so it holds it strings very well. It al lfeels sturdy, and like it was built to last, so I don't have nay worries about hardware problems and the strap buttons feel solid, so I won't worry about my strap flying off while I play it. At the moment, I can't depend on I. I had a school concert before the guitar as set up, and I brought a backup and I was right to as the guitar went completely out of tune, and wouldn't tune, so untill I am sure the guitar is fine, I will always bring a backup if I'm gigging. The finish seems very good, and I haven't scratched the guitar amazingly, it does leave finger prints though. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall impression of this guitar is that it is very good. It suits all my styles of music, so that part is good. I have been playing electric guitar for around 3 years now, I own many guitar pedals (mainly Behringer) and this guitar works well with all of them. Before I bought the guitar, I do wish that I was told about how it would need a set up, as that would have saved me a lot of money and bother. If I lost the guitar, I would definatley buy it again, because of the sound. The EMG pickups are amazing, and I am sure that if I wanted to replace them for EMG actives, they would work very well with the guitar, and wouldn't alter the looks. My favourite feature on the gutiar is tremelo, but that is also my least favourite feature at the same time, as it is a hasstle, especially as I didn't expect it to be. I compared this gitar to an Ibanez RG370DX, and I had to choose this one because of the pickups, which was definately worth the 40 price difference. In short this gutiar is very good, but yopu have to know what you are doing before you buy it. // 9

RGR320EX Reviewed by: cscissorhands, on march 25, 2009

Purchased from: Marshall Music

Features: This is a 2007 model, typically made in Indonesia. However, mine was manufactured in Japan and features Ibanez's blue "arctic frost" finish as opposed to the usual matte black of this model. It has a 24-fret Wizard II bolt-on neck with a bound rosewood fingerboard. The body is basswood and as I said has a stunning "arctic frost" finish, though this may be only on my guitar. The body style, of course, is Ibanez' most common- the superstrat shape. It has the Edge III locking tremolo with a locking nut as well. It came stock with 2 passive EMG's, can't be sure of the model though. It has one volume, and one tone control, as well as a three-way pickup selector Switch. It came with three allen keys and an extra spring for the tremolo. Functional but basic, really. // 7

Sound: Typically, I play metal and a variety of other shred-friendly genres, which Ibanez guitars are already famous for being perfectly suited to. This guitar is no exception. When using the bridge pickup (which I rarely do,) it's quite easy to get a nice high powered "sizzly" tone typical to extreme styles of music. But when using the neck pickup, the tone gets very muddy if you're pushing the bass on your amp too much. However, when I kick the mids up and lower the bass a bit, I get a nice percussive sound that goes well with palm muted 16th notes and whatnot, as well as barre and power-chord chugging. When playing through a clean channel, the bridge pickup gives a wonderfully bright tone with a nice bite to it, and the rhythm pickup will give you a good and rounded bassy tone with punchy mids. As far as extraneous noise goes, these pickups are perfect. With the exception of extremely high-gain lead tones, there is next to no buzz or hum at all. All that said, I typically use a variety of 50-60 watt Crate amps, a cheap dist. Pedal, and an Ibanez Tubescreamer. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup it had when I got it was terrible. The action was far too low, the frets were buzzing, the trem was crap, you name it. Once I put my strings on it and spent about an hour setting it up, it played like a dream. I did lower the pickups a bit, but that was mainly to suit my picking style and keep them from getting in my way. Other than that, nothing really to complain about here. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a solidldy built guitar. I've dropped it numerous times and not so much as a nick in the finish. I would (and do!) use this Live without a backup. The strap buttons were solid, but even so, I put Grover straplocks on it. (I'm fond of the guitar acrobatics you often see metal players perform Live.) // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, and this guitar is a perfect match, as are most Ibanez guitars. I have been playing guitar for five years (or so.) I have an Epiphone SG but it's only for emergency backup. If it was stolen or lost, I would cry, Hurt somebody, mourn for a year, and then buy three new ones. But hey, maybe that's just me. My favorite feature is the Ultra-thin Wizard II neck. I myself am satisfied with what it has but other players might want a more reliable neck pickup. All in all though, it's an awesome addition to the RG family. // 9

RGR320EX Reviewed by: Version10, on february 04, 2011

Purchased from: Private Seller

Features: Mine was made in 2006 in Indonesia. The neck is the 24 fret, 25.5" scale Wizard II with Rosewood fretboard. The body finish is what Ibanez calls "Road Rage Black" which is basically matte black paint with a pseudo-tarmac finish. The body is made from Basswood and the neck is 3 piece maple. Body style is that of a super-strat. It comes with the Ibanez Edge III bridge, of which I myself am not too fond. My blades have dulled slightly which results in tuning not staying the way it should. I have blocked my trem with 3 wooden blocks in the back. I love the tuning stability the locking nut and bridge gives me, and coupled with the fine tuners, it really hits it well. It has passive "Design by EMG" H1 pickups in bridge and neck positions. It has a 3 way Switch and a tone and volume pot. It has the normal Ibanez tuners which are non locking. I got this guitar with 2 extra springs and a hard case. That's about it. // 7

Sound: I play progressive metal and this guitar hasn't let me down yet. I would say it isn't perfectly suited, but it has no problem coping with this genre. It is pretty good for shredding though. I use it through my practice set-up which is into a Zoom G2 effects pedal then straight into the input of a Crate GT212 transistor amp. Using the pedal, I have gotten the sound down to an inch of what my perfect tone would sound like. I get glassy cleans like I would on a valve amp and rich, full-bodied distortions that function equally well for both rhythm and lead parts. The pickups are alright, but not what you would call great. I would change the configuration to a Pearly Gates in the neck and an Invader in the bridge position, but that may just be enough incentive to move on to a higher quality guitar altogether. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I received the guitar, I had to get used to setting up the Floating trem first (wasn't that hard). After a few dive-bombs and motorcycle sounds, I decided to lock down the trem because I don't like the instability. The feel of the guitar is great. It felt really solid and the neck was a breeze to play on. The pickup height was great. The only flaw, in that sense, that I saw with this guitar was that the very last fret was a bit high so I filed it down. After that the feel improved a bit more. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar live and it survived unscathed. The hardware is extremely solid and after a year, the tone and volume pots still feel like they did when they were new. The strap buttons were very solid, but as a precaution I changed them to Hennesey strap locks (which I do NOT recommend). I have since changed these to Schallers which work like nobody's business. I can definitely depend on this guitar to be with me every step of the way. I have not broken a string on it since I got it (haven't broken a string for 4 years come to think of it). The finish seems very sturdy and it only becomes shiny in the places where my arm and little finger rests. // 8

Overall Impression: I play progressive metal which is a bit more graceful than generic heavy metal or the like and this guitar is a good match, if not great. I've been playing for the better part of 6 years and I own a Crate GT212 and Zoom G2 and soon to be Ibanez RGA7. If this guitar was stolen I would be very unhappy and I would try to procure another like it, if that was out of the question, I would look at Jackson Dinkies or I would stretch my budget for a Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette. What I love about it is how comfortable it is to play. The molded neck joint fits my palm perfectly when playing on frets 21-24. I also love the tuning stability. There isn't much to hate about this guitar, except the pickups (if you're so inclined) but I make it work for me. My favorite feature is the fast Wizard II neck. I only compared it to a friend's Ibanez SA120FM and this guitar shone through in all areas. I only wish it had a kill Switch and coil tap and perhaps one of those nice Gibraltar bridges instead of the Edge III trem. // 7

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014