RGR321EX Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/28/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RGR321EX
The Ibanez RG321 guitar is part of the Ibanez RG Fixed Series. The original RGs offered double-locking devastation only. But many metal adherents demanded the simplicity of a fixed bridge.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 8.6
reviews (12) pictures (2) 63 comments vote for this gear:
RGR321EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 22, 2007

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: Okay I'm keeping all this simple, because I'm playing whilst writing this and am getting distracted easily. I don't know where it's made, but hats off to them. 3pc Wizard II neck. Basswood body. 24 jumbo frets. Fixed bridge. EMG/Ibanez pickups. Black piano finish. 1 tone, 1 volume, 3-way pickup selector. Locking tuners. Comes with gig-bag (kicks it waaay out of tuning), strap (still on from the day I got it, very durable), cable (unused, I use wireless). // 9

Sound: It suits metal primarily. But I've used it for punk, hardcore, blues, rock, grindcore, thrash and death metal. It's a very versitile piece of equipment. I run it through a Korg AX3000 into a Marshall Half Stack. I also use a Boss DS-1 for a boost in solos. I also use wireless from my amp to guitar. I never get any unwanted feedback, the only time I get it is when I run it through the amp distortion and control it myself. This guitar can make ridiculous ammounts of sounds. From a deep, warm blues tone. To a high, screaming metal. This can be a downfall, you have to take notes of your settings, one dial knocked will completely change your sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was an amazing set up. Perfect action. Everything in line. Nothing loose. Just how it should be. I did raise the lead pickup about 4mm up towards the high E. But that's probably just me Who likes it that high. It's Standard strings felt amazing and I want to know what they were, but nowhere can tell me. I had to replace them due to thembarely being playable in low tunings. Lowest I could get them was drop C. I play in drop B. So I had to change to Ernie Ball Beffy Slinkys. They play well, but I wouldn't mind the origionals in an 11. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Ibanez are well known for being very durable, and it is. But the piano finish on it is a bitch. It shows up every last scratch, finger print, smudge. It's easy to clean, but it needs it every time you play. The hardware is tough! And I mean you could throw this thing at a wall and pick it up, plug it in and play (my previous guitar, Les Paul, failed this test). However, the plastic cover on the pickup selector Switch seems to have gone missing. The strap buttons are beyond perfect. I have had the same strap on since the day I bought it, and I still strugle to take it off. Let alone put it back on again. I don't use straplocks, I don't feel the need. It's just so secure. The easily marked finished is a let down for me though. // 7

Overall Impression: This is my sixth guitar and currntly my favourite. It plays amazingly, it sounds increadible, feels perfect and is just a great guitar. I play metal, along the lines of Slipknot, All That Remains, Killswitch Engage. And it matches it WELL! I've played for four years, comepletely self taught, so I have 100% my own individual style. This guitar will not be for everyone. Mainly due the the styling of it. It's a good looking guitar, no arguments about it. But it's function over form. This guitar has impressed me so much I'm getting a custom version of it made. The only difference will be mine will have just one knob (volume) and a pick up selector. Also it will have a thinner body and proper thru-strung bridge. When I bought it I was between this, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and and ESP EX400. I think I made the right choice. All I wish was different was real EMG pickups, as opposed the the Ibanez/EMG versions on it. // 9

RGR321EX Reviewed by: wchurchill, on january 14, 2009

Purchased from: Merchant city music

Features: An rg series guitar with a fixed bridge, bass wood body, rose wood finger borad, reverse head stock and it best features is 2 EMG designed pick ups which will work great and the white strip that outlines the guitar which looks really fancey and nice. This guitar is almost like mick thompsons singnature guitar as well. // 10

Sound: I'm using a line6 spider III 15w and this guitar can play a lot of things quite nicely the EMG designed pick ups (named infinity 1 and 2) work greatly bridge pick up gives you a light bright sound and the neck gives you a deep bassey sound. It plays clean very clear but can occasinly distort but very decent clean sound. it's best sound is in the over Drive, this guitar is like a monster a real shred beast. On an over note you can get a blues sound out of it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar it was very good set up, may have to get a bit used to it at first but over all great, tuners are locked in pick ups are adjusted right no scratch marks on the guitar what so ever Also the string are a bit twangy but I start to get the hang of them now. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Ibanez are good lasting guitars, and this one is No Doubt, it will a long time I say and will use it at a gig with maybe no back up. You might want to change strings some times but it'll do the job and last for some time and the finish will may need a lot of cleaning (it will get dirty a bit to easy) // 10

Overall Impression: I say this is a great guitar looks nice, pick ups are nice and alos has a very good feel to it. it's just a really nice guitar espically for the price but there may be a few minor flows... But nether the less quite a fanstatic guitar just all you have to do t get use to it at first. // 9

RGR321EX Reviewed by: Kizzer00901, on february 17, 2009

Features: I think mine was made in 2007, and it was made in Indonesia, It has 24 Jumbo frets and a fast bolt-on neck (the wizard II) with a rosewood fingerboard. The body is Basswood and it has a cool piano black finish, it's almost like a black mirror lol, the body style is a bit like a Strat, but the edges are sharper and more metal! The bridge is a string thru fixed bridge which is good for sustain. It has 2 passive humbuckers that are designed by EMG. There is a 5 way toggle Switch and a master volume/tone. The tuners are just the basic Ibanez ones, but they are ok. // 8

Sound: I play all sorts of music, from classic rock to heavy metal, and so far it has held up well, it has a wide variety of tones to it, and although it is made for metal, it is an extremely versatile piece of kit. The amp I am using is a Roland Cube 30 and when I first plugged in the guitar, I put it on the clean channel and I nearly came, The sound was perfect for my ears, and when I went to the distorted channel, it sounded great aswell. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well set up out of the box, the action is really fast and is set the lowest it can go without getting any fret buzz, the only time I ever get fret buzz with this guitar is when I put it in lower tunings, but even then it's hardly noticeable, the pickups were adjusted fine and everything was in place, there wasn't any flaws with it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this guitar long but I would say that it would easily be able to withstand Live playing and the hardware could last ages, the strap buttons so seem pretty solid but if I was going to play Live I would invest in straplocks just to be safe. For the price it's a good investment for anybodies guitar collection. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this guitar is very good and it suits the styles of music I play, I have been playing for over 4 years. The neck in this guitar took a while to get used to because it has a broad flat area on it, and I am used to the neck being one smooth curve, but now I am used to it it's good and helps with the fast solos I am trying to learn. If it was stolen, I would probably cry because it took me over 6 months to save up for it, but I would probably buy something else because I want to broaden my guitar collection into different brands. I love the paint job on it and the reverse headstock could kill someone, so that's always a nice feature. To anyone Who is thinking about buying this guitar I would say, Try it out first!! It might have really good reviews but to you it might feel horrible. // 5

RGR321EX Reviewed by: Stevie Coffs, on december 23, 2011

Price paid: € 349

Purchased from: StartMusic Local Store, SG, Germany

Features: - Build: 2011 in Indonesia - Body material: Basswood with White Binding - Bridge: Gibraltar Standard bridge - Hardware: Black Hardware - Wizard III Neck: 3-Piece Maple, Bound Rosewood Fretboard, Pearl Dot Inlays, 24 / Jumbo Frets, reversed headstock - Electronics: Neck - INF1 (Infinity 1)(Ceramic Magnets, passive, splitable); Bridge - INF2 (Infinity 2) (Alnico V Magnets, passive, splitable) - Controls: 1 Volume,1 Tone, 5-Way Lever (Positions are 1: Neck PU, 2: Neck PU parallel setup, 3: Neck + Bridge PU, 4: Bridge PU Single Coil Splitted, 5: Bridge PU) - Included gigbag, strap, cable, tools // 9

Sound: One of the most versatile guitars I own. Playing a big variety of different styles its splitable humbuckers fit nearly every type of music you wanna play on it. Though its clearly designed for metal it is even versatile enough to suite my jazzy songs as well as broad bluesy soloing. I use it with a Line 6 Spider IV 150HD Top live as well as with a Spider IV 15 amp for home recording. Elixir Nanoweb Custom light .09" up to .46" strings. From deep tuned accented palm muted rhythms up to clear bright solos, nearly everything is possible with the stock PU configuration. I use AT PL6720 Classic 351 Silver coated 2.4 - 2.7mm picks. So due to the 5 pickup settings plus the slight overdrive when volume poti switched to 10 and the tone poti there is a huge variety of sounds possible without it sounding any swampy. For tapping / shredding soloing i would recommend the hairband trick on this one, though a standard hairband would not fit due to the thin Wizard III neck. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The RGR321EX was set up well by the local store where I found it and fell in love with it. Overall it was set up great, even though I readjusted the neck pickup to fit my needs of a slightly overbright sounding high e string, but there was no need to readjust. I guess every guitarist has found out some specialties for himself. The finish was flawless. And with its white binding it is a simple beauty that can sound like a beast. The glossy piano like finish gets covered with fingerprints very fast (anyone that owns a first series Play Station 3 knows how annoying that can be) so you need to clean it a lot, but giving some tender loving care to your guitars wouldn't be a bad thing to do, so I would not mind. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The first time I put my hands on the very thin Wizard III neck (Wizard II was renamed Wizard III in 2011 so there is no changes between WII and WIII necks!) it felt kind of weird. But half an hour later the neck of my customs Les Paul felt weird as well while the wizard neck became the second best neck shape I've ever played (If you ever get the chance to play a DBZ V Style Z-Neck try it, you will hardly resist carving every guitarneck you own). The RGR321EX is very lightweight compared to a Les Paul or even Standard Stratocaster without ever getting it's head pointing down, it is a great guitar to play a long gig with. The strap holders don't need security locks when used with the delivered strap, but as I am using veloury leather straps I just did the rubber washer trick and the strap never came off except when I wanted it to. It is a very reliable on guitar. The tuners keep the tension of the strings even after heavy bending soloing. The finish looks great though I decided to use static sticky transparent foil pickguard to not get it scratched. With a satined finish it would even look a bit more noble. All around a versatile and durable and reliable guitar! // 9

Overall Impression: Due to me playing a huge variety of styles but mainly rock/hard rock with jazzy and bluesy influences, the RGR321EX is a valuable repository of soundvarieties. I've been playing electric guitars for about 14 years now, and compared to the other guitars I own or have owned there is only one bottomline I can draw: I did not find such a versatile, stage withstanding, simple but beautiful guitar for such a low price in years. I am very happy with it and when you run by one, just try it out! As long as a guitar suites your ears it is the right one for you! // 9

RGR321EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 01, 2009

Price paid: € 350

Purchased from: thomann.de

Features: This pinacle of Ibanez was made in Indonesia, don't know what particular year though. The guitar was fitted with d'addario nickle wound 10's which are very nice. It has a wizard II maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and has 24 jumbo frets. Neck is lovely and thin so its good for fast soloing. Scale lentgh is 648mm/25.5". Its body is basswood with a fixed bridge and 5-way pickup Switch. It has 1 volume and 1 tone pot. Its fitted with 2 EMG designed pu's and has a gorgeous piano black finish. Machine heads are unnamed and are not great but they get the job done. My favourite feature of this guitar is the reverse headstock which is just pure metal and also comes with a gig bag, strap, cable and allen wrenches. // 9

Sound: I play alot of metal and melodic hardcore, for example Thrice, Fightstar, bring me the Horizon, Funeral For A Friend, etc. and also play some blues and this guitar suits all styles I play. When I got it, I thought the EMG designed pu's were going to be crappy but were actually really nice considering the price of the guitar. I use a Fender Frontman FM 212 R amplifier with reverb and distortion but I have recently bought an MXR Distortion III and a DigiTech Metal Master pedals. The guitar sounds bright on the bridge pickup through the distortion, creating a great lead sound and super crunch for metal riffs and what not. The neck pickup is alot bassier then the neck pickup, giving a good deep rhythm tone, although I prefer to use the bridge pickup when in distortion. In clean, the guitar sounds beautiful with chorus put through it, especially on the neck pickup for a fantastic clean rhythm sound. The bridge pickup is much better for blues. The pickups give off almost no sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up wasn't all that great. The strings were a bit too high for my liking and the pickups were lobsided, but these problems were fixed within a couple of minutes with the allen wrenches provided and apart from these problems, everything else was perfect. The finish does smudge very easily though which is noticable and doesn't look all that great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can definately withstand Live playing, I have played a couple of very energetic gigs with my band so far and I have had no problems with this guitar so far and didn't had to resort to my back up. The hardware seems it'll last years and the strap buttons are better than any strap locks. I did bump the guitar off numerous walls and amps and things, resulting in the finish scratching slightly which left me depressed for days to look at! // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar looks badass for the style I'm playing. I have been playing for three years now and this is my second guitar with a 3rd on the way. I would most certainly buy another one of these if it was lost or stolen and wouldn't buy anything else. The finish and reverse headstock are so god damn sexy and that is a big plus. I compared it with an Ibanez RG321MH and picked this one as it was better looking and supposably better to play than the RG321MH. It would be kick-ass though if it had a Floyd Rose, then it would be a complete, total and utter god upon man! I'm not going to give it nine for that though as it is still a Savage guitar without the Floyd Rose. Awesome guitar overall. // 10

RGR321EX Reviewed by: rohanshankar, on june 18, 2010

Purchased from: India

Features: Simple, clean and brilliant. It has a piano-black finish which is awesome! It looks outstanding. This guitar's got 24 Jumbo Frets, Basswood body, 3pc Wizard II Maple Neck and 2 Ibanez made EMG pickups. The neck is really thin and is great for those who like to shred! Its got a great feel to it. The bridge on this guitar is not something you've seen on a lot of guitars. Its got a Gibraltar Standard Bridge which is really neat and comfy. It's got 1 Volume control, 1 Tone control and a 3-way selector for the pickups. I just wish that this guitar had a Tremolo Arm. The extra accessories you might get depend on the dealer. // 8

Sound: I play Hard Rock/Metal/Progressive, somewhere along the lines of Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Pantera etc. The EMG Pickups give it such a clear sound, that you want to just close your eyes and relish it! I use an Orange CR20L amplifier (which is also awesome). When you select the Bridge pickup, you get a sharp, crunchy lead tone, which I also use for strong Rhythm playing. The Neck pick on the other hand has got a warm, sweet tone (like in Hollow-Pantera), perfect for those mood swings! When you plug it in, no other noises can be heard. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I've had this guitar for 2 months. When I bought it, the action was perfect(I like my action a little low). The strings that were on the guitar were a bit rusted, but that doesn't really matter. The stock are nice to play on. The pickup selector gives a small echo sound, which can be heard prominently(but not while playing). The finish was overall good. After a month of playing, the nut for the output socket became loose and I had to get it changed. That was the only thing that bothered me. The finish was overall good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played one live show with this guitar, and it didn't cause any problems. I think it will last very well on live shows. I would even play a gig without a backup guitar. All the hardware is intact and nothing seems like it will cause problems, except for the output socket nut. The gig bag they had given me was pointless. The zippers just broke th minute I touched them. They have given me a replacement though. // 8

Overall Impression: When I first set out to buy a guitar, I had said, "No Ibanez". This was because, my friend had an Ibanez GRG series guitar which was in the worst condition. The Floyd-Rose bridge was causing problems, the strings kept detuning themselves, it was horrible. I know because I was using it for a while. My mind immediately changed when I saw this guitar. I just wish that it had a Tremolo Arm. So if your looking to play some Dimebag Classics, then move along, look somewhere else. Buy This Guitar. It Is Worth It. // 9

RGR321EX Reviewed by: TheBlackening91, on january 05, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I bought this guitar in early September 2010 on eBay for a decent price of 160 (roughly $250, although guitars do seem to be cheaper for Americans, so who knows). This guitar was made in 2007, in Indonesia, which most people agree is a country not rated too highly on the list of guitar manufacturers, however, seeing as over the past 23 years Ibanez has made a reputation for mass producing guitars, they seem to have cracked the balance between making a guitar cheaply and well, since this guitar is and I can imagine always has been solidly built. The guitar has 24 frets across a neck scale of 25.5", and all but the 24th are easily accessible, although to be fair I haven't used it once whilst genuinely playing the guitar. The frets are jumbo sized, and the neck is the love it/hate it 3-peice Wizard 2. For me, this neck is fantastic since I don't have particularly large hands and I enjoy being able to move up and down the Fretboard with ease, if you're used to a Les Paul kind of neck though, you may want to think twice about the neck. The fingerboard is made of rosewood, which is nothing special but fits the look of the guitar nicely. The body is made from basswood, not mahogany, even though some sites seem to disagree. Simply from lifting the guitar up you can tell the body is made from basswood, and this contributes to Ibanez's balance between a cheaper product and a quality product. The basswood body is very light, which I definitely prefer however if you are used to a heavier guitar body, for example mahogany, this guitar may be too light since the guitar is a little neck heavy. The body style is the ultra-comfortable Ibanez specialty, the super strat, you really can't go wrong with the shape of the guitar, it's a shape that's been refined and perfected for decades now. The guitar's main selling point in comparison to other Ibanez RG's is the fixed bridge, which allows for easier tuning and re-stringing. I already own a guitar with a Floyd-Rose and this is (obviously) much easier to maintain, if you don't need a floating bridge I would definitely recommend this guitar. A Floyd-Rose may seem appealing at first, but the novelty can wear and after a while you'll be left with a guitar that is hell to restring. On the subject of tuning, this guitar holds it very well, especially given that is has no Locking nut, I often use this guitar for dropped tuning and D/C tuning works as well as standard, dropped B/A tuning is do-able but it won't last forever. The controls are simple, a 3-way pickup selector and a volume & tone Switch to control both pickups. The stock pickups are Ibanez's INF humbucking pickups, and they do the job well enough for stock pickups, although I'll go into that more in the sound section below. No accessories were included, just the guitar. Overall, it's a solid, fairly Standard guitar that won't quite set the world on fire but just so happens to fit what I like in a guitar, as such I would rate it highly but for those used to heavier, thicker guitars such as Les Pauls it may not be as usable. // 9

Sound: The stock pickups are 'versatile' in that they do any style, just not particularly well. Being EMG based humbuckers, heavier genres such as metal will naturally be their forte, however in comparison to active humbucking pickups such as the EMG 81, they sound incredibly weak. I do play metal more than anything else, and with the stock pickups you certainly can get away with playing metal, just try not to play with somebody using EMGs. I'm running this guitar through a Line 6 Spider 210, 120 Watt amp, an amp that pretty much does metal and not much else, which certainly aids the metal roots this guitar has, since it is able to handle some the music from some of my favourite metal bands from Machine Head to Metallica and my own. After having the stock pickups in the guitar for around 3 weeks, I replaced them with a pair of Seymour Duncan Blackouts (AHB-1), since while the guitar appealed to me aesthetically, the sound of the guitar wasn't anything mind blowing. These pickups are a significant improvement over the Ibanez stock pickups and can definitely handle the lower end tunings; however I won't bore you with a review on these pickups since I'm sure you can find plenty over the internet. In short, the pickups provided in the guitar are fine, and not much else. For anything more I suggest replacing them with something to suit your style of playing more. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't really talk about the factory set-up, but seeing as the previous owner had the guitar for 2 years he would have had to be mad not to have had the guitar set up. Everything about the guitar was and still is fine, everything is still solid and will almost certainly remain so for years to come, I can't see myself ever having to adjust the guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definitely withstand live playing, as stated earlier, Ibanez seem to have nailed the ART of producing guitars on a large, affordable scale and to a good quality. One thing worth mentioning would be that the finish is relatively prone to smudges/scratches, but to be fair if I saw someone playing any guitar with this finish in pristine condition I would assume it was either new or they just didn't play it. The strap buttons are solid, although I added strap locks because 15 in exchange for the safety of a 160-280 guitar seems like a fair trade to me. I wouldn't use this guitar without a backup at a gig, but that's just me, I doubt anything will ever go wrong with this guitar and unlike guitars with floating bridges, breaking a string wouldn't be as much of an issue, so I'm sure using it for gigging without a backup would be fine, but why take any kind of risk? To sum up - Great finish, but that's hardly new for Ibanez guitar's. // 9

Overall Impression: For metal, this isn't as outlandish as the guitars produced by some other manufacturers such as BC Rich or even some Jackson models, but it can hold its own and hardly looks out of place (aided by the fantastic reverse headstock). As stated earlier, the pickups are anything special, but upgrading them isn't the most difficult process in the world anyway and being a 160 eBay buy, as well as being in the Ibanez RG '3' line, I figured the pickups wouldn't be anything special when I bought the guitar. If the guitar were stolen or lost I wouldn't buy it again. I really only needed a backup/fixed bridge guitar and I can find plenty of those on eBay at the some kind of prices. The body style and weight for me is perfect, as is the neck, so I am very happy with these features of the guitar and having changed the pickups there is certainly nothing about the guitar I 'hate'. Given that all I wanted was a simplistic, fixed bridge guitar, there is nothing more I could have really asked for; overall I am very pleased with this guitar. // 8

RGR321EX Reviewed by: TheFamousCow, on july 12, 2011

Purchased from: guitar.co.uk

Features: There are 3 types of this guitar that are out that I'm aware of, the first being the one wtih offical EMG designed pickups, the second one with the INF1 & INF2 and the last being the one with the new Gibraltar (sp) bridge. Mine is the Second generation made in 2008 I think and its made in Indonesia which is a step above from china I guess. It features Standard fixed Bridge and tuners, INF pickups, 24 fret maple wizard neck, Basswood body, Rosewood fingerboard, Volume and tone controls, 5-way pick up selector and a stiring through body. The finish is black but has a white outline round it making it look very handsome and attractive I must say. Nice Standard features, good enough for me. // 9

Sound: I play mainly metal and alternative sytles of music which is what this guitar was most likely designed for. I'm playing directly through my Peavey Bandit 112. The Clean sound this produces is nice and thick and isnt distorted. Very decent for deep riffs and strumming chords which makes it great for todays music. The deep tone produced by the neck in particlur is pretty nice for blues and jazz but the Bridge is also pretty deep as well so it doesnt't produce great tones for country but the Bridge is very good for chords. Aswell as Bridge and neck postions you can go inbetween them or use both pickups which a great feature allowing you to explore more tones which sound great althrough they still mainly sound dark but in all honestly I love the thick sound it produces. Moving on to the distorted side of things is where this guitar shines. It makes an impressive saturated tight tone making it great for alot mordern metal styles including bands like Rammstein, Deftones, Marilyn Manson, Bring Me The Horizon, Job For A Cowboy and My Dying Bride etc. This is all only on the Bridge postion tho as changing pick up configuration destroys the sound and clarity of the guitar. For a deep fuzzy kyuss/electric wizard sound turning the tone pot to zero makes a great subsitute for swutching pick ups. Althrough this guitar has a good tight rhythm sound soloing on this is not as impressive but decent enough to play on as the notes lack clarity and cleaness. Overall excellent mordern/nu metal sound and a nice dark clean tone making it personnaly a perfect match for me. But I give an 8 due to the lack of versetitlaty but that doesnt't bother me as its great for me. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up nicely when I got back in 2008 and still feels that way today. The Paint job and hardware was flawless and stayed together so all is well and the feel of neck is great due its amazing smoothness the same goes to the body which is in great shape and sits nicely on my lap and itsnt to heavey. Only issue that after time the lead socket does fall loose from time to time so it'll need screwing and soldering occasionally. All the electronics are good execpt agin after time when I Switch to the neck the pick up selector does need a little fiddle so it can work and there is little noise when changing pick ups. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is well build and strong. I don't gig but I recon this guitar would fit the bill and I would happily depend on it if I ever do. This guitar has suffered a few knocks and bumps and has its wounds but still plays great so its bound to last. It also stays in tune very well and easily to mantain thanks to the string through Bridge and the good wires it came with. The finish however does shop finger prints easily in the light so if your going to show it off in public you may want to give a quick clean. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great heavey/nu/alternative metal guitar and is brillant for the price. I've played for three years and I admit I'm nto great but I do ave a quite a bit of gear and this is one of two guitars I own the other being an SG which I use other styles such as classic rock, Pop punk and country etc and also keep in satndard tuning as I keep this one in drop C# which sounds great on it. If it was lost or stolen I would buy it again or save up for something similar but with 7 strings. I love the big tight distorted sound it makes aswell as its deep clean sounds. I choose this guitar in particlur rather then look around as I saw once in a shop and fought I might give it a go and was hooked on it but sometimes I wish I had 7 strings on even a tremolo but I like it just the way it is! // 10

RGR321EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2011

Features: 3pc Wizard II neck. Basswood body. 24 jumbo frets. Fixed bridge. EMG/Ibanez pickups. Black piano finish. 1 tone, 1 volume, 3-way pickup selector. Locking tuners, mine came with a amordillo hardcase & a basic guitar strap. This was found via ebay through a cash generator website. Unmarked, still with the original covers on the pickups, machine heads and back plate. // 10

Sound: The sound is amazing, the sustain you get on this guitar is unbelivable, I guess that's Ibanez for you. I use a G2 Zoom pedal & a Behnringer wah through a Whitehorse head and cab. This guitar needs top spec pedals and amps to keep the guitar sounding awesome. The sound is quality, no problem with feedback even at ridculously high levels volume, I use it mainly for metal which it's perfect for, but is also versatile enough to play acoustic, blues, punk, the list is endless. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As you can expect from an Ibanez the action is spot on, the strings that came with it were lush, but soon replaced with DR Black Beauties (which have been the best strings I've ever used for this paticular guitar), all fittings are professionaly done, for the year I've had this guitar which has been used daily there has been no problem as of yet with it, and it gets used alot! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has no problems, the weight is perfect for live playing, not too heavy and not to light, perfect if your jumping around on stage, all hardware seems it would last a lifetime (aslong as you look after it) I allways bring a backup guitar (incase a string goes) but that would be the only reason I would bring one. This guitar is so versatile you could shred on it for hours and not a single string would go out of tune (well it didn't with the DR's on it). // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this has been the best guitar I have ever played, my friends often use it when I bring it round to jam, the neck and the action makes playing it a real dream, because I mostly play metal (and Acoustic stuff ever so often) I find its perfect, but I can't see why it wouldn't be as great with any other genre. I was pleased to pick it up at such a cheap price at the time as the guitar was practically brand new, couldnt see it ever being used. The only down side I would say that if you don't have the equipment to gain your perfect sound the guitar does lose it's high end quality. Before buying this guitar I did try a fair few different guitars, from Ibanez and other makes like Dean and ESP. But I found this guitar perfect! It is definately a guitar to look out for if your looking to buy a new guitar, the best thing is the neck, it's just so perfect! // 10

RGR321EX Reviewed by: darkmetalhead, on january 04, 2012

Purchased from: City Music, Truro

Features: - Built in Indonesia - Basswood with white binding - Bridge is a Gibraltar standard - Black Hardware - Wizard III maple neck, bound rosewood fretboard, pearl dot inlays, 24 jumbo frets, reversed headstock - Electronics-Neck pickup is a INF1, which is a ceramic passive pickup, which is splitable-Bridge pickup is a INF2, Alnico V magnets, which is also passive and splitable - Controls-1 tone, 1 volume, 5 way toggle (Goes "Neck", "Neck Parallel Connected", "Both", "Bridge Split", "Bridge") // 9

Sound: Very versatile. I mainly play full-on Lamb Of God, Machine Head like metal, and it can take that. However, it can take other styles, such as funk, folk, blues and jazz. I play it through a Laney HCM65R, with a Marshall Drivemaster, and it slays. It can deliver high register shred solos, but it can also deliver bluesy ones. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was low as hell on it, the pickups were perfectly adjusted. When I first got it, it was pristine. Since then, however, quite a few things happened, Firstly, the solder connecting the wires to the jack split. 3 times. And for quite a while, the low E tuning head wouldn't keep tune well, due to the fact that I've accidently whacked it into a lot of things. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Ibanez are known for durability, and this is one is, excluding the damage it had taken to the tuners. But the finish is a nightmare. You can see every mark, scratch and indent. Also, the toggle switch has bent up, but this isn't a bad, as it makes it quite easier to switch pickups. I'd deficiently use a backup just in case something goes wrong. // 7

Overall Impression: I play metal, as already stated. This is my second guitar, and I love it. It gives me what I want, straight to the point. I've been playing for about 3-4 years, and I haven't played many better guitars than this. I definently picked the right guitar, I just wish the input jacks soldering was done a lot better and more stable, and I wish that the tuners would retain tune a lot better. Apart from this, it's a great starter-intermediate metal guitar. // 8

RGR321EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 07, 2012

Price paid: £ 159.99

Purchased from: PMT Birmingham

Features: The RGR321EX was made in Indonesia, some time between 2007-2011. It has 24 jumbo frets. The fingerboard material is rosewood and the neck material 3 piece maple. The body is basswood with a black finish. The bridge is a Gibraltar Standard bridge. There is one volume control and one tone control which changes the tone completely from a bluesy like sound to a heavy metal sound perfect for power chords, however it does not seem to have much affect on the sound if you have distortion/overdrive on. It also has a 5 way pick up selector which can change the sound even better than the tone control, with my favourite being the neck pickup. The pickups are two humbuckers: INF1 (H) neck pick up and INF2 (H) bridge pickup.From the shop that I got it from (PMT, Birmingham) it came with no accessories. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits my style of music (rock, alternative rock) perfectly, and to be honest, could probably suit any genre of music as I play metal, rock, blues, pop and even some techno and it sounds great on all of them. It has a very high input level so this is a lot louder than any other guitars you might have. As I haven't been playing guitar for while I play through an old and cheap Wem amp with a Line 6 Pod for my effects. I have played the Ibanez on 5 amps and all of them sound great, even without any effects on the amp or any effects pedals. If you want a twangy sort of blues sound then if you turn the tone up high with the bridge pick up on it sounds perfect or if you want to play chords for a rhythm guitar part, both pickups with the tone down low is brilliant, as you can tell there are loads of different sounds you can get from this guitar without having to change amp eq or putting any effects on. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: After I first got this guitar from PMT in January 2012 I realised that it was not set up properly, as when you played the first fret it buzzed loads, my dad told me this was because the action was to low (for those beginers out there, the action is how far away the strings are from the neck) I took it back to shop to tell them and they sorted it out without an extra cost, now the action is perfect. But still, after 4 months of playing, the jack input is loose and the pickups are scratched so there are lines of gold on them when they are actually black. But apart from those two things, the set up is fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I think the main let down of this guitar has been the durability of it, and it is probably not the best guitar to gig with even though it has brilliant sound. I think it will carry on working for a long time but it will get damaged very easily. Saying that, I do gig about twice a month with it and it has never broken on me, however I would not gig with it without a backup. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall, I think this a quality sounding guitar with bad reliability and durability. This guitar will probably last me about 4 or 5 years, (until I'm 17 or 18) and then I would probably get something like a Fender or a Gibson. If it had one more thin, I would want it to be a whammy bar. // 8

RGR321EX Reviewed by: joopbox, on january 28, 2013

Purchased from: Music City - Worcester UK

Features: I'd rather talk ABOUT the features than what they are (find it HERE), came with soft gig bag. I will start form bottom-up. The strap holder - excellent. Hipshot bridge - excellent, very sturdy and thank God no trem, looks killer, piano black finish is a dream, so shiny almost like a mirror but scratches easy but with nice white binding effect. The body shape is my favourite ever RG and molds perfectly on my knee. Pickups are mediocre Fake EMGs and scale length is the generic 25.5 scale I find ridiculous SHORT! I hate the look of 2 pickups, inlays and I only use bridge pickup, the features are great but could be better, it is a 10 only my preference has lowered the score, for a 6 string enthusiast it doesn't get better than this in this price range. // 6

Sound: I mostly play metalcore but sometimes pop punk and as said before, such a common mistake with Ibanez is the scale length, I have big hands and require something more substantial such as an 8 string baritone. I run the RGR321EX through a rubbish 25w Marshall practice amp simply because money is short, it's all down to the pickups but I reckon anything is possible on it. Great thin neck is easy to navigate, I've used effects like DigiTech multi effect RP50 I think and DigiTech heavy metal pedal before and they mostly sound "fuzzy" through the stock pups and lack the crunch I'm looking for, without effects is quite bright even with ages old strings and never feedbacks even at high volume, I still think the scale length hampers my playing leaving me at the top of the neck and resigned to chords. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action fit and finish couldn't be better, I have no concerns in this area, nothing was loose or technically out of place, stock strings were too thin for me but tuned perfect, it never goes out of tune which is really good. It was a solid unit and was in the best possible condition when I got it from the shop, I can tell just looking at a guitar where the flaws are and this has none for what it is. Tuning pegs are a welcome change from my previous Stratocaster, basswood is well balanced with rosewood neck, balanced weight, sits well even when standing, frets were levelled to a billionth of a millimeter, I was quite excited by such quality, definitely the strongest element of this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had a noticeable crack in the lower horn for a reason I don't even know so I worry how durable it could be, the hardware is very solid and does the job, the strap buttons don't look like much but are strong, its not going anywhere in the strap. I've never gigged and if I was, I would not be using this in its original state because some little things just annoy me to hell and I think its a shame because it has a lot of potential being an already classy guitar I feel it just needs some modding, the finish although elaborate, is on there forever even when its scrathed and greased, it still looks great and never stops being smooth. // 9

Overall Impression: For what Ibanez have on offer, I get the impression that it's just a "taster" guitar, they give you some of their great features but not all of them, to persuade you to spend more, it seems much more suited to "secondary school metal/hard rock band" than serious, full time metal/rock band that could dominate a stage. I didn't search for this guitar, I got it when asking the shop assistant a good "metal" guitar at a good price, I don't really pick it up anymore because I hate 6 string, I hate standard scale and I hate inlays and if it had 7/8 string, bigger scale and no inlays I would have no problem. I've never owned any other guitar so there's nothing to compare to. If stolen or lost I wouldn't care that much, I'd care about lost investment more and I could have waited to get a budget 8 string, I wish I had more money to get more spec for what this lacks but as said before, if you like 6 string, I would recommend to those people. // 6

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014