RGR521EX1 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 08/23/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RGR521EX1
The affordable-yet-deadly Ibanez RGR521EX1 Electric Guitar is a limited-edition RG built for metal! The core is an RG-style mahogany body with 2 EMG designed passive humbuckers and a bolt-on 3-piece maple neck with reverse headstock.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 9.5
 9.1
 9.2
reviews (2) 35 comments vote for this gear:
RGR521EX1 Reviewed by: Toold, on august 22, 2007

Features: This guitar was made in 2005. It provides two Designed by EMG humbuckers and a reverse headstock for extra-large tone. The neck inlay is a very cool black pearloid barbed wire and the body finish is a special dark swirl that looks outrageous. It has 24 frets with a 3-way selecter and volume and tone controlls. Other features include a mahogany body, 3-piece Wizard II neck, jumbo frets and a fixed bridge. // 10

Sound: For metal it's perfect, with rich, deep tones. With some distortion the harmonics ring almost forever, and pinching couldn't be easier. I use a DigiTech Metal Master Distortion pedal and a 6505 Head/Straight Cabinet which really excentuate it's bold sound. Without distortion it creates a very dark mood, especially in a minor key. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action from the factory was what I desired. It is far enough away from the fretbord to prevent unwanted vibration, but close enough so that the pitch of the notes isn't affected by playing on higher frets. I never had to get a neck adjustment. The only thing I ever had to fix was that the jack cames loose once and I had to tighten it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has and will continue to withstand Live playing. I've dropped it on a concrete floor with hardly a scratch. I've had it for a couple of years and it still plays like new. I have used it on a gig without a backup before. The finish it very durable and wont wear off. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and have been for a few years now. This guitar fits my every need and I consider to be basically irreplacable. I use a lot of different tunings (some as low as dropped A - A2, E3, A3, D4, F#4, B4), so it's pretty adaptable. My favotite feature is the barbed wire inlay on the neck because it just looks awesome. there's nothing about it I don't like, although I do wish it came in a seven string. // 10

RGR521EX1 Reviewed by: copet, on august 23, 2007

Features: This Ibanez guitar comes with 24 frets which makes playing music from high pitched artists possible. The barbed wire inlay looks awesome, and the black swirled body matches well. The fretboard is rosewood and looks wonderful as long as you keep up with your cleaning. I have had this guitar since last Christmas and it still looks like the day I bought it. The two EMG humbuckers work great and give a nice tone. My only regret is that this beautiful guitar did not come with a whammy bar. // 9

Sound: The guitar sounds great both clean and distorted. With good distortion you can get an awesome metal sound, and getting pinch harmonics to scream is easy, even for someone new to guitar. With an array of pedals and a nice amp, this guitar sounds as good as any higher priced model that I've played. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar off the wall, so any misgivings can potentially be because of other players handling the guitar. It had a little bit of fret buzz when I first got it, but I took it in for a free setup courtesy of the store and the buzz went away. One of the tuning pegs was a bit rough and cut through my.10 E when I first strung the guitar, but I was able to string it once I knew to be gentle on that peg. Once again, this guitar had been played before I bought it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does not yet have one scar on it from playing, and I imagine it would fair well in a Live show. It loses tune slightly faster than a few of my other guitars, but can easily be retuned during breaks in playing. I have yet to snap a string on this guitar, and I frequently use bends as well as pulling the strings off the fretboard. // 9

Overall Impression: I enjoy playing Steve Vai songs, such as For the Love of God and The Attitude Song, and while the 24 frets makes all notes possible, the lack of a whammy bar is a sad affair. For the first electric guitar I have ever purchased, it has exceeded my expectations, but as I become a better guitarist I will have to upgrade my equipment. In conclusion, this guitar is a great buy for a beginner-intermediate player, and it will last a lifetime. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014