RGT42 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 11/10/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RGT42
The basswood body in combination with a neck-thru design provide an incredible sustain and high definition sound. It's a very affordable guitar if you prefer neck-thru instruments.
 9.1
 9.2
reviews (7) pictures (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
RGT42 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 18, 2005

Purchased from: Music123.com

Features: - Pickups and pickup placement provide the hard-edged, cutting tone needed for heavy rock - 24-fret, thin, fast Wizard II neck - Width at nut: 43 mm - Radius: 400mm - Scale: 25.5 - Wizard II thru neck - Basswood body - Jumbo frets - Lo TRS II bridge - INF1 neck pickup - INF2 bridge pickup. The RGT42's mahogany body provides rich warm lows and sweet sustain. Its 24 jumbo frets offer easy playing for leads and chording. The Infinity 1 neck pickup is a versatile and responsive ceramic magnet humbucker with warm classic tone and added output. The Infinity 2 bridge pickup offers enhanced midrange output and excellent dynamics. It uses an Alnico-5 magnet for string clarity. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds excellent. The basswood body in combination with a neck-thru design provide an incredible sustain and high definition sound. With distortion, the bridge pickup cuts through really well, with plenty of bite and nice bass response. The neck pickup was warm and smooth, and not muddy at all. The pickups are pretty hot, no feedback at all. This guitar perfectly covers any hard rock/metal styles. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty much perfectly. The pickup height was good. There were no obvious flaws on the guitar regarding appearance and electronics. This is a very well put together guitar with attention to detail on the finish, no rough spots. The pickups were a little close to the strings but that was easily remedied. The action is low enough to be comfortable and facilitate easy string bends, but high enough to avoid any fret buzz. The hardware is top-notch, and the tremolo works very smoothly. There are excellent fret job and very high quality finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This particular guitar is made in Korea but it is stillhigh Ibanez quality. It looks pretty solid and reliable. It holds tuning perfectly. The finish seems as if it will last. The hardware looks very sturdy. It definetly would withstand live playing. The strap buttons are solid, and they turn, so less chance of your strap coming off. And if you are not crazy, have a backup guitar... For any case. // 10

Overall Impression: If you're looking for a solid, very rich nice sounding guitar - go for this. It's a very affordable guitar if you prefer neck-thru instruments. The sound is good but it would be nice if it came with EMGs. Great high fret acess due to the thru neck, tonnes of sustain, sweet clean with stock pickup and good distortion. Overall, it's a very well made easy to play good sounding guitar. This is simply the best neck-thru guitar for the money. Buy it. // 10

RGT42 Reviewed by: RedburN, on september 29, 2005

Purchased from: Ital Melodie

Sound: This guitar was obviously made for metal. But it also suits softer genres such as rock. I use it through a Korg Toneworks AX1500G modeling processor. Beautiful crunchy and clean tones. The INF pickups are quiet even on the most saturated distortion. This guitar really screams. I'm giving it a 9 because I'm willing to upgrade the stock INF pickups. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Flawless. The factory set-up was almost perfect with 9-42 strings. The pickups are in their sweet spots and the paint is so hot (Lavender)! I was worried because after a few weeks I was getting fret buzz on the high e string. just put a new set of strings and I can play even lower than before with no fret buzz. This axe sustains like no other due to the neck-thru constrution! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Heavily built. I like to have a backup whatever the main guitar is but I'm too broke now. Ain't even worried about breaking strings live. // 9

Overall Impression: Seriously this is the metal guitar I've been looking for during 6 months! The floyd rose isn't a pain in the ass because you don't have to cut the strings. Been playing for 3 years and I'm not willing to sell this one in a near future. 9 on this one because of the weird whammy bar. // 9

RGT42 Reviewed by: davie_gravy, on december 18, 2006

Purchased from: zZounds

Sound: Ibanez RG guitars have always been one of my main choices for hard rock and heavy metal. I own several different models, but the neck-thru construction on the RGT42 adds immense sustain. I'm playing it through 1980's model Peavey VTM 120 head with a 4X12 Beringer cab. I get a very crunchy rhythm sound using this setup but with a little EQ'ing and the neck pickup, I can pull some really smooth lead tones. I use it for metal, rock, blues, bluegrass, and folk music too. It's a versatile machine! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar come set-up with 9's to E Standard. The action was indeed smooth and low. The pickups were at proper levels. Even though I purchased this guitar as a blem, to this day I have not found one cosmetic flaw anywhere on it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is great for Live settings. It's a very simple and reliable design. The finish is rock solid and seems like it can take some abuse. This guitar is my main rig. I would use it on a gig without a backup no problem. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of shred style metal and the various flavors of death metal. This guitar is perfectly matched for those styles of music. I've been playing guitar for 9 years. I own a Ibanez RG570, a RG270DX, a mexician made Fender Standard Strat, a Fender Squier Showmaster Strat Jason Ellis Sig model, a Jackson Kelly, a Hamer Slammer CT-40, a Takaminie acoustic, and a Greg Bennett Ultramatic Samick Bass. If it was stolen, I would replace it with H.R. Giger model. I love the neck-thru construction, but I'm not too fond of the new Edge Pro II tremolos. This particular one seems to come out of tune with any mild whammy action. I also heard others mention the instability of these new Edge trems. I wish this guitar came with the EMG 81/85 combo. // 8

RGT42 Reviewed by: Talicom, on march 03, 2010

Purchased from: Guitar Center - used

Features: 24 fret neck-thru mahogany shredbeast. Has two Ibanez infinity pickups. Comes stock with an Ibanez Edge Pro II tremolo. The one I bought has a lo-trs pro that I plan on switching out as soon as possible. I won't comment on the tuning stability or whammy function as my guitar did not come with the stock equipment. Universal volume and tone and a 5-way pickup selector. Not very innovative as far as coil tapping or anything like that is concerned but still a great guitar, so I give it an 8 here. Other than a floating single-locking trem, neck-thru construction, and 24 frets, this guitar is like any other. Personally it's exactly what I was looking for. // 8

Sound: I play mostly shred and instrumentals, and I've been playing for a little over 3 years. It has the Ibanez infinity pickups, which are universally disliked by the guitar community. I personally don't think they sound awful. A lot of variation can be found by simply changing the pickup height, I've found. The clarity is decent for single-noting it but when it comes to chord based riffs it gets muddy fast. The body is made of mahogany so it has a good dark tone. I'm playing this through a DOD YJM308 preamp overdrive into a Randall RG50TC tube combo (with a DigiTech RP250 in the effects loop for reverb/delay/chorus/etc). This on the clean channel sounds fantastically warm and responsive. I'm not a huge fan of the gain channels on the amp but this guitar makes them sound better than usual. While I'm at uni I play from the YJM208 into the RP250 out of the headphone jack and into an iPod speaker through the auxiliary in hole. I can get a very good lead tone with this setup, believe it or not. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was great when I bought it. Pickup height was good for what it was but not my tastes. Bridge route was fine. No visible flaws except some slight cracking around the frets in the binding on the neck. Bridge and mounting rings were very corroded, not beyond use but again I bought it used so it was probably okay out of the factory. I didn't like the Standard knobs it came with (mostly because the only knobs I like are barrel knobs) so I switched those out. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is very durable. I've personally banged it off of a couple corners around my house and no noticeable scratches so far. The strap buttons felt a bit like plastic for some reason so I switched them out for some homemade straplocks. Don't worry they're reliable =) If I considered gigging without a backup to ever be an option, I would use this in a gig without a backup. Everything except the replacement bridge feels very durable. None of the adjustment screws feel like the heads will strip (unless you overturn, in which case that's your fault anyways) // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great match for my playing style. The neck profile is very flat and thin, combined with the low action it makes for a very fast neck. I also own a PRS Santana SE model, and a G&L ASAT Classic Tribute, both of which are very good guitars. They have their uses but when I need to play fast and clean, I go for the RGT42 every time. If it were stolen, I'd be irate. I'd probably try to track it down because I think I'd have a better chance of finding the thief than another one of these guitars for as cheap as I paid. I absolutely love the neck-thru construction and the floating trem. It's a wonderful guitar and after blocking the trem I think I made a steal :-) // 9

RGT42 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2010

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: donedeal.ie

Features: the origional Ibanez RGT42 is in my oppinion the best guitar for under $1200 on the market, I shit you not! It features infinity humbuckers and an Ibanez trem, its best feature by far is the neck thru design. This gives the guitar unbelievably good tone and sustain, plus exellant access to the upper frets. My one has been upgraded with a Schaller trem and Seymour Duncan JBs. Mine also has a sparkly green finish. These upgrades make this my ideal guitar, I could not even think of selling or replacing it. thats how good it is!! // 10

Sound: The sound with the new pickups is how you would expect this guitar with duncan JBs to sound...simply godlike. At first I thought "wow ,what agreat distortion sound". Later I dicovered that this guitar/pickup combo can do anything immaginable, and with agood amp, you'll never own another guitar. NUFF SAID. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The previous owner had this baby set up perfectly when he sold it to me. The action was low, that with the wizard ii neck is like playing gods guitar! As for the new trem its just as good as the orrigionall floyds on my other guitars. I put new strings on it last week and haven't even tweaked the tuning since, the tunig stabillity is next to perfect. With such a thin neck you would think it would be prone to warping but I can tell you its straight as the day I bought it. My one complaint in this section is when the action is set very low you get some fret buzz! But I can live with that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Usually guitars with thin necks and locking trems are hard to depend on and unless they are high end boutique guitars but with this one I feel like I can gig a freakin stadium with total peace of mind. I never use a backup live and I doupt I'll ever need to, it never goes out of tune, it seems to be immune to blistering heat levels and cruel trem work alike. // 10

Overall Impression: My band mainly play classic and collage rock and some country on occaision and I've never come accross a guitar that can cope with all of these styles and more. This through my Marshall tsl 100 produces almost any sound immaginable. I ussually leave metal to a guitar with EMGs but EMGs suck can only be used in metal. I had ajob in a music shop a while back and I had the chance to play the most expensive of les pauls and prs guitars and I was massivly suprised. I can honestly say I would have rathered to be home playing my beutiful Ibanez instead. If it were stolen I wouldn't have time to buy another as I would be busy killing wyself! // 10

RGT42 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 14, 2011

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Features: - 2002 neck-thru model - 24 XJ frets - Rosewood fretboard - 5-pc maple/walnut Wizard II neck - Mahogany body - Solid red sparkle finish on the body, neck and headstock - Licensed Floyd Rose double-locking tremolo - Passive INF-4 humbuckers in bridge and neck positions - Master volume, master tone, 5 way selector - Non-locking tuners - Ibanez standard hardshell case // 9

Sound: This is honestly one of the most versatile guitars I think I've ever played for the money, it handles everything. In my personal life I play and record melodic metal akin to BDM, Dimmu, as well as Viking and Folk-style metal. I'm also in a 90's rock/pop/alt cover band where we play everything from RHCP to Alanis Morrisette to Rage Against the Machine to Gin Blossoms to Metallica etc. I bought this axe new in 2002 and kept it completely stock and, though the pickups aren't the highest output, I've really never had any complaints about the tonal range I can get out of it. Each note in a single note run comes through clearly, chords sound full, tapping and pinching is a cinch. The sustain on single notes with no effects or simple distortion is probably a 7/10 IMO, but that's more to do with the pickups just not being that high-output. If you're running any sort of compression or delay etc the sustain will last for days. I want to make a note that if you're playing by yourself or recording into a mixer or you stay static with your volume then the volume won't be a problem at all. It only interferes when trying to solo, for instance, over the rest of the band, but even so a simple inline db boost pedal negates that issue entirely. I tend to only use the 5-way switch in the main 3 (neck, middle or bridge) positions as the intermittent positions don't quite have the volume to make it worth it. The tone from the main 3 positions more than suits my needs. As a side note I'm currently playing out of a Line 6 Spider III HD150, a Mesa dual recifier and a Marshall AVT 4X12 circa 1992. Planning on picking up a Line 6 Valve MKII head, a Peavey 6505+ head and building a custom 4X12 and 2X12 soon. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The initial setup was OK, though I did end up having to fix some buzz on the high e string. After that though no problems. Action was set nice and low to make the thin neck even better suited to fast playing. Bridge and neck setup was solid, perfect intonation. No flaws or issues to speak of at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: + Will this guitar withstand live playing? - I've played this guitar at probably a hundred shows over the past 9 years that I've owned it, and don't plan on stopping any time soon. It will withstand the living shit out of live playing. + Does the hardware seem like it will last? - The only possible gripe I could give with the hardware is that the licensed FR is a bit noisy compared to the real deal, but that's not Ibanez's fault. In terms of quality, again I've had this for 9 years and kept it stock and have had no hardware failures at all. + Are the strap buttons solid? - Never changed out the buttons to StrapLocks because the horns come to too sharp of a point, but I've never had a single problem. I tend to flail around on stage like a moron and have never once worried about dropping it. + Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup? - Have gigged plenty of times with no backup and have no qualms about continuing to do so. I have a secondary guitar I use for Drop D tuned songs (FR's don't care for -tuning ;) ), but if we're not playing drop D stuff I don't even bring it with me to shows and I use just the Ibanez. + Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? - I'm not one to slam on the guitar really, but I play hard enough and there's not a single visible scratch on the paint unless you go out of your way to look for it, and even then they're hairline at best. I do play using .47mm nylon picks which would probably have trouble scratching a stick of butter, but I play with a belt on all the time and the back of the guitar looks as good as the front. // 10

Overall Impression: I think I've said it already. This is an awesome axe that can and will last for years. To be completely honest there was a long period of time when I didn't even take care of it properly; leaving it in damp basements, in the trunk of my car in the New England winter, etc., and there's never been a single problem. I play almost daily, practice with my band every week and play one or two shows a month. If this were stolen I would probably go out of my way to try and find this exact same model year to buy it again. // 10

RGT42 Reviewed by: grungelive72, on november 10, 2011

Features: I got this guitar secondhand, I traded about-to-break Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II for it and boy was I happy. I'm not really sure what year it was made, but my guess is either late 90's or early 00's. Pretty sure it was conceived in Korea. - 24 jumbo frets - Neck-thru - Entire guitar is one single piece of mahogany - Gun Metal grey finish, pretty nice - Super Strat body style - Licensed Floyd Rose trem - Ibanez LO-TRS II - Ibanez Locking nut - 2 INF passive pickups, pretty hot - 1 volume, 1 tone, 5 way switch (neck, neck parallel, neck and bridge, inner coils of neck and bridge, bridge) - Normal Ibanez tuners The controls on this are pretty standard like on every Ibanez, however, its the neck-thru design and mahogany body that give this guitar its amazing tone and sustain. Plus the neck is a Wizard II so it is very shredable, with wide frets, skinny profile, and a flat board. **ALSO, I replaced the stock pickups with a DiMarzio Liquifire in the neck and a DiMarzio D-Sonic in the bridge. The pickup change made a considerable difference in tone quality and clarity. I plan to change the stock Ibanez trem and locking nut as these have worn out really easily and fairly quickly. Being a Licensed Floyd guitar, this is a pain to restring and set up so be prepared. I put a pack of Ernie Ball Power Slinkies on this and had to add another spring in back of the trem. // 8

Sound: With the stock pickups, the sound was literal poop. The INF pickups have no character, are extremely muddy, and have little tightness. With a pickup change this is amazing. I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (all tube amp) with an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff distortion pedal and a DIY Kits Piledriver boost pedal. On cleans, I tend to use the Liquifire (neck pup) the most. It is John Petrucci's signature neck pickup and has great tones especially for intricate clean tapping riffs and such. I don't use the D-sonic much for cleans unless I am using the split coil position. On distortion, this thing kicks a-s. With amp distortion and the boost pedal I can grab some creamy distortion tones similar to that of an Orange Dark Terror. The neck pickup has no muddy qualities like most neck pups do. The Bridge pickup has so much cut and tightness its crazy. With the Metal Muff, this thing screams. I can snag every tone from August Burns Red to Nirvana with simple EQ changes. Solos sound fantastic, not too trebly and very melodic with either pickup, but I'm more of a rhythm player. These pickups are so HOT that I only need the Distortion dial set at 9 O'clock. As humbuckers, the pickups are pretty quiet. The mahogany body gives the tone a really good thickness and chunk, and the neck thru design gives it great sustain and resonant qualities. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Like I said, I got this used so I have no clue how it was set up from the factory. I got it in great working condition so obviously it was made very well. I put in the pickups myself so I adjusted the heights for them to my liking. The finish is the same gunmetal gray all over the guitar, even on the neck and headstock. It seems very reliable and had only a few nicks in it left by the previous owner. Everything was routed perfectly which made changing pickups a breeze. Not many flaws to speak of. It looks and plays fantastic. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Haven't used it live yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. Everything but the trem seems great quality. The strap buttons aren't the best, they've let the strap go a few times so I'm probably going to change those to strap locks. I'd use it without a backup in a heartbeat. I love this guitar. I give it an 8 only because of the bad quality of the tremolo system and locking nut. Also, the tone pot is very scratchy when turned but I'm sure that it's just dirty. The finish has lasted circa 10 years. Enough said. // 8

Overall Impression: I play clean tapping stuff (think Maps And Atlases, Terra Melos), Math Rock/Metal (The Fall Of Troy, August Burns Red) jazz (Stanley Jordan), and Classic Rock (almighty Led Zeppelin, Nirvana), and most recently, Djent (Periphery, The Contortionist). The guitar is great for all styles, but of course its more metal oriented. I think I'll keep this for quite awhile and it compliments my Fender Jaguar Classic Player Special HH fairly well. This thing stays in Drop C. Always. [Insert insane comment about killing thieves over this guitar here] etc, etc. I definitely love the neck of this the most. This is my first Ibanez and I must say I'm very pleased. They do not make the RGT series anymore so if you have a chance to pick one up, I'd highly recommend doing so. You won't be disappointed. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 8.9 Electric Guitars 10/21/2014