RGT42DX Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 08/14/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RGT42DX
The RGT42's mahogany body provides rich warm lows and sweet sustain. Its 24 jumbo frets offer easy playing for leads and chording. The Infinity 1 neck pickup is a versatile and responsive ceramic magnet humbucker with warm classic tone and added output. The Infinity 2 bridge pickup offers enhanced midrange output and excellent dynamics. It uses an Alnico-5 magnet for string clarity.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.2
 8.8
 9.2
 8.3
reviews (6) pictures (2) 72 comments vote for this gear:
RGT42DX Reviewed by: Smylly shredder, on august 14, 2006

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: This beautiful 2006 RG series Ibanez is one of the top RG's without going to the prestige series. It's body is made of mahogany, and it has a rosewood fretboard. Along with jumbo frets, this guitar comes with dicoloured sharktooth inlays and a Wizard 2 neck. It come's standard with Ibanez brand passive pickups, INF1, and INF2. As with the other guitars in the RG series, this one comes standard with an Edge Pro II bridge (liscensed by floyd rose) and a locking nut. The body is finished with a pearl black, and the hardware is black and steel grey. There are only two control knobs on this guitar (one for volume, and one for tone), and there is also a 5-way selector. // 8

Sound: It is really difficult to describe the sound that you can get out of this guitar, because it really depends on how you use it. When playing it clean, it has a full, bright sound, but the output of the pickups is fairly high, so it will distort the sound if you're not carefull. If you've got any distortion on you're amp, this guitar sounds quite muddy. This guitar is not a rhythm guitar, and does not do chord's very well (which is unfortuanate because the strings are spaced for easy chording). IF you turn the gain up high enough, and add a whole whack of compression, you will get that Ibanez sound that is know so well as that of a Virtuoso such as Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, or John Petrucci (who all play, or used to play, an Ibanez). You can also get some really crazy sounds with the whammy bar. You can do you're standard squeels, and dive bombs, and pretty much anything else that you can do with a whammy bar. This is also a really good guitar for getting harmonics. If you use the bridge pickup, you can find some sort of harmonic on just about every part of the strings (even if the gain isn't very high). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish of this guitar was definitely one of the most impressive that I've seen. To this day, I have not found one scratch, or imperfection in the quality of the finish. All of the hardware is installed correctly, and all of the electronics were set up really good. At first, the travel on the guitar was really, high, but I fixed that easily, and now it play's beautifully. Even the tremolo system is staying the way it was when I got it. It is an extremely nice guitar to look at. // 9

Reliability & Durability: All of the hardware, and everything else on this guitar seems very reliable. Everything is solid in it's place, and there have been no problems yet. This is now my new live guitar, and although it's sound isn't the greatest, it's a great show guitar. I don't think that I would ever play it without a back up though, even in a practice, because the strings are always breaking (and usually at the very worst times). It's not something that I would blame on the guitar though, it's just my style of playing (I love to use the whammy all the time). The only thing that worries me, is that the neck is fairly thin, and if I ever were to trip on a wire or something and ram it into a wall, I think that the neck would probably break before the wall did. But other than that, it's a very reliable guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is definitely my new favorite. I've always loved the quality, and the sound that Ibanez guitars have been known for and it was a hppy day when I got my hands on this guitar. Normally I wouldn't buy another guitar of the same brand, but I think that I would buy another Ibanez, because this guitar has been great. The only thing about this guitar that I don't really like are the pickups. As soon as I save up enough money I'll probably buy a set of EVO's, or something like that. Also, the Edge Pro II doesn't allow the whammy bar to stay in it's place, so everytime you let go of the bar, it hangs down. I'm sure that there's a way to fix that, and I'll figure it out one day. But other than those two things, the guitar is great. It's black, sleek, and pointy, the three things that make a guitar beautifull. // 9

RGT42DX Reviewed by: Lord Hood, on january 24, 2008

Purchased from: italmelodie

Features: I bought this guitar new in 2006 so I assume it was made the same year, in Korea I believe. 24 frets, 25.5 scale length with a nice think wizard neck, which for those Who've played an Ibanez, know it's a fast play. mahogany body with maple neck-thru body. It's painted black but when put under light you can see little sparkles, just as if it were a stone (I think the finish was called onix actually). Super Strat body with a Floyd Rose licenced tremolo edge III bridge. It came with Ibanez stock passive humbucker pickups, 5 way selector with 1 volume and one tone knob. not sure on what type of tuners it has but I think I remember reading they were either gotoh or grover // 9

Sound: I play almost exclusively metal and the stock pickups actually were pretty good I must say. I changed them though to an emg 81-85 combo and swapped the 5 way selector for a 3 way, and let me tell you the difference was night and day with the active pickups. I have it playing though a 75watt Spider III and god damn that thing can scream, awesome lows, squealing highs, and with the floyd in it, perfect for the ever awesome dimesqeal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a bit too high I found, but nothing a quick alan key to the bridge didn't fix. Like I said I got this guy new so it came out of the box all shinny and scratch free, no rust or anything. It gotten very minor scratches over the year I've had it but nothing worth mentioning. Hell at one point when I was installing the emgs I dropped a bit of melted solder on the back and it didn't even phase it, so needless to say I was pretty impressed // 10

Reliability & Durability: This baby would be awesome live, wouldn't go without a backup though, cause that's just suicidal on stage. Strap button is on nice and light, never popped off on me or anything. This I love most about the hardware is that it's all a brushed stainless sort of color, only complaint is that if anything were to ever need replacing, I don't think it would even be possible to find said color. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said I play a lot of metal and this guitar was pretty much made for it, I've been playing for 3 years now and this is my second guitar, and Ibanez for that matter. If it were stolen, the guy who did it's body would never turn up, this thing is my baby. If I had the money I would eventually buy a Gibson xplorer at some point to use as an alternate cause of the awesome shape but other then that this guitar is well worth it's weight in gold. // 9

RGT42DX Reviewed by: Metallica_2k7, on april 23, 2008

Features: I bought this guitar about 4 months ago for my birthday. It was made in 2006 in Korea, it has a Wizard II maple/walnut through neck with 24 jumbo frets and sharktooth pearloid inlays. It has a Strat-style mahogany body with Olympic White finish which looks gorgeous. It has an Ibanez-made Edge Pro II bridge with a double-locking tremolo system. It has a volume and tone knob as well as a 5-way pickup selector for a very wide variety of tone. The pickups in the guitar are the Ibanez-made INF3 and INF4 with passive electronics and they absolutely scream. Also has Ibanez Tuners. With this guitar I got a hard case, a strap and a lead. // 8

Sound: I mainly play metal and hard/modern rock stuff. This guitar suits this style extremely well; the pickups provide incredible raw rock tones and the thin neck is amazing for nailing those blazing solos. As well as that though, Switch to the neck pickup and you get a great chunky rock sound which sounds good for heavy rhythm playing. I play this through a Line 6 Flextone III combo amp and the sound I get is fantastic. However, if you're looking to play clean guitar as a majority, I would go for something different, because this guitar was made to rock. But as well as incredibly raw, loud rock tones, it also provides a full, warm clean tone due to the through neck. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar' factory set up was very good. The action was very low and the pickups were adjusted perfectly no problems there. The problem I had with this guitar was the bridge. After having the guitar for two weeks, three strings had snapped at the bridge. I took the guitar back to the store and they gave me a free repair and set up. When I took it home and started playing, there was a lot of fret-buzz on a considerable number of frets. So I raised the action to get rid of the fret-buzz and the problem was sorted in ten minutes. Also a few weeks ago I was playing and the string popped out of the bridge again, but this time a screw was loose and a section of the bridge came loose and screwed up my intonation which took me about an hour to fix. Apart from the few issues I've had with the bridge, it's flawless. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems very tough. I've knocked it a few times by accident pretty hard and it came out unharmed (luckily). The hardware is also tough, and the strap buttons are solid. I wouldn't use this guitar at a gig without a backup, but that would be the case for me if I used any guitar with a Tremolo system. The finish is also gorgeous in white and looks like it will last me for many years. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar would suit someone who enjoys playing long, fast solos very well since it has such a thin neck and has very easy access to the higher frets. It would also be a good first guitar for anyone who's looking for an all-round, versatile guitar as it has a great variety of tones straight off the bat. Again, the only minor let down is the 'not-so incredible' bridge. If I lost this guitar, I would definitely buy another Ibanez but maybe an 'S' model since they have the ZR bridge. However, this is still a very good guitar. // 9

RGT42DX Reviewed by: Doadman, on august 01, 2008

Purchased from: Curly Music

Features: This is a Korean built Ibanez RG model with 24 jumbo frets. The body is mahogany and the neck is a 5 piece construction made from maple and walnut. The neck is a Wizard II so it's very thin, flat and fast and this model is also a thru neck so access to upper frets is easy. It is a H/H pickup configuration with a 5-way selector as standard, one volume and one tone control. The pickups are INF1 and INF2 and it comes with an Edge Pro II floating trem system, though I believe later ones are equiped with an Edge III unit. // 10

Sound: My main musical style is classic rock and metal and this guitar is certainly primarily known as a Metal guitar, however, it isn't the one trick pony some people make it out to be as I also play Blues and '60s music on it. Anything from BB King to A7X really, though it has to be said that it's more comfortable at the metal end of the spectrum. The stock pups are actually reasonably powerful and produce a decent tone for Metal, though I've modified mine a bit. It takes a pickup upgrade very well and is worth doing and it has loads of sustain due to the thru neck design. Without the thru neck this guitar would cost a lot less but overall it's a very impressive instrument for the money. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Build quality is impressive. My previous guitar was a Ritchie Sambora Fender Stratocaster and I'd say the build quality of the Ibanez is a match for it in most areas. My only real gripe is that the volume and tone controls discolour relatively quickly. The action can be set very low thanks to a 400mm radius neck and that's exactly how I like it. I use 10-46 strings but Standard the guitar comes with 9-42 so the action can go even lower. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I do use this guitar Live and it is totally reliable. The only reason I take a backup to a gig is in case a string breaks as they're a pain to restring. Having said that, I've never needed to use a backup. Everything on it is rock solid with the only blemish being the volume and tone controls I mentioned previously. // 9

Overall Impression: I simply love this guitar and there is nothing I would change it for this side of 1000. The main guitar I compared this to when buying was a Jackson and while I liked them, the Ibanez won for 3 main reasons: superior build quality; more varied tone and that gorgeous thru neck. I've changed the Standard 5-way selector for a Vintage American series Fender 3-way as I found that I just didn't need the 5-way options that Ibanez provided. To give me the tonal options I want I prefer a 3-way selector with a 500k push/pull volume control for coil tapping. I've also changed the stock pickups for a set of Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats, which are fantastic pups, giving a rich and harmonic tone that is also capable of handling huge amounts of distortion while also offering great clarity. The best feature of the guitar is undoubtedly the thru neck and I say this because it is something I would never do without again. If I ever replace this guitar it would only be for another thru neck design; that is how good this feature is. // 10

RGT42DX Reviewed by: jedinix, on march 04, 2009

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Made in 2008. 24 Jumbo Frets with Bound Rosewood Fretboard. Mahogany Body with Flamed Maple Top and Walnut/Maple Neck. Neck Through Construction. Typical RG Shape. Ibanez Edge III Bridge (Floyd Rose Style Tremolo). H-H pickup Configuration with Passive IBZ INF1 & INF2 Pickups. One volume, one tone, 5 way selector Switch. Comes with allen wrenches, whammy bar and Standard 1/4" 10 ft. Cord. I was apprehensive about the Edge III bridge. I've read it's horrible and a real pain in the arse to work with, but I've really had no problem with it. With a proper setup, it works just fine. Yeah it's no Edge ZR/Pro, but you can't get better unless you shell out way more cash for a Prestige with a Pro/Zero. I like how Ibanez gives you allen wrenches and cord and whammy bar. They really give you everything you need to jam right out of the box. The neck thru construction is great because you it's really durable and easy to access the upper frets. Usually you only get that kind of craftsmanship on very expensive guitars like Gibsons that can easily run over thousands of dollars. // 10

Sound: The bridge pickup gives off a really bright tone that sounds clear in the cleans and in rough distortion. It really brings out harmonics nicely too, perfect for slamming in squealies in hard rock/metal songs! The neck pickup gives a nice, thicker and warmer tone that handles distortion great. In the cleans, it sounds a bit muddy, but I usually use the bridge pickup for brighter clean tones anyway. The pickups never really sounded noisy, which was really nice because my old Epiphone G-310 sometimes would get noisy. Either that or the sound would just sound dull and kinda beaten down. What I love about these pickups, is they always sound hot. They sound fantastic under any circumstances and you never find a dull or boring tone! Overall, the sounds you get out are perfect for things like the clean echoey sounds of U2, to the hard, effect laden rock of Rage all the way to the brutal shredding of Metallica. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was perfect, straight out of the box. Just low enough to make shredding a breeze but high enough to have absolutely no fret buzz at all. The tremolo required no adjustment either, which is nice because that can be a real annoyance when you first unwrap it and you just want to shred! Everything else felt really sturdy and nice. The wood had no flaws; no chips in the finish anywhere, it looked beautiful and clean. They did a really nice job of setting it up before they shipped it out. You can tell by this guitar that Ibanez really makes quality instruments. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I had a show on Valentines Day. I tuned it a week before hand and locked the nut. I played the 45 minute set at the show, with plenty of whammy divebombing and played at least an hour a day for a week afterwards, once again with plenty whammy action going on. I checked the tuning, out of curiosity and it is still in perfect tune. Two weeks and still in perfect tune! Very reliable if you ask me! Everything feels solid, but since it's a locking trem, I'll still gig with a backup, just because if a string breaks you're out of tune and screwed. Finish seems high quality, won't wear off easy I'm sure. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of things. I play ska and alternative, bands like The Strokes and Bloc Party. However, I really love rock and metal, from bands like Paul Gilbert, Metallica, and SOAD to U2, Smashing Pumpkins, Audioslave and Rage Against The Machine. I can get lots of the sounds from those bands on this guitar. It suit's it perfectly: built for rock/hard rock/metal but can get those cleaner tones when you need it to. I've been playing guitar for about 3 years, and I bought this as a second guitar. I did about 6 months of searching and trying guitars before I got this one. It fit's my music taste perfectly. I've got a Line 6 Spider III that I use with a DigiTech Whammy, Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby Wah, Boss SD-1 and a Boss DD-5. It works great with all of those. I have no regrets about buying this guitar; if it were lost or stolen, well, I'd never let it get lost or stolen, because I love it too much. Overall, a great guitar for the price. It's easily one of Ibanez's best woodworks. Great sound and durability are combined to make a killer axe that is one of the best value guitars today. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014