RGT42DXFMTLF Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 02/23/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RGT42DXFMTLF
The Ibanez RGT42DXFMTLF features a 5 piece Wizard II thru-neck, mahogany body with a flamed maple top, Edge Pro II bridge, IBZ Infinity pickups, 24 fret rosewood fingerboard with deluxe sharktooth inlays and more!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.6
 8.2
 7.4
reviews (5) 38 comments vote for this gear:
RGT42DXFMTLF Reviewed by: orangeacid, on may 27, 2006

Purchased from: Soundcontrol Derby

Features: This guitar is a 2005, Korean-made (but don't let that fool you, its solid) Ibanez. It has the full 24 frets, and a Edge Pro II tremlo. These bridges are apparently re-known. They stay in tune for ages, but I have some issues with the way mine stays in; they are suposed to slide in and out but mines a little chewed up and wobbles. It's still a solid bridge. It comes with Infinity 1 and 2 pickups, which are half-ceramic, and a 5-way pickup selector which offers a huge variety of different tones. There are only two knobs, one for volume and one for tone. Due to the floating bridge, the guitar is obviously fitted with locking tuners. If you have your guitar nicely set up (and the setup isn't bad from the factory), it will stay in tune for weeks. I have to tune mine literally once a week, and this is only very minor tuning. It is very rare that the locks have to be undone. The guitar has a thru-neck, making reaching the highest frets easier and assisting sustain. However, this does make the guitar more fragile and much more expensive (or impossible) to repair if damaged. // 8

Sound: The bridge pickup is very gainy and allows for amazing overdrive, but position 2 uses just the ceramics and makes quite a nice, bluesey sound. Position 4 puts the neck pickup in paralel mode, which makes the guitar somewhat accoustic-like when used on a clean amp. Positions 3 and 5 are nice a bassy. I play mostly heavy stuff, and the sound of the bridge pickup really, really suits this. I use my guitar through a Boss GT8 effects unit, and a Marshall MG30DFX. I have also played through a few Roland cube amps and a Drive amp and a Vox Valvetronix, as well just through a GT8 and PA. It sounds great through all of them. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was great. The action was about as low as it could go, and the intonation was basically fine. I did, however, heighten the bridge pickup, and replace the stock 9-gauge strings with hybrid 9s and 10s, so the setup I am currently using is 9, 11, 16, 26, 36, 46 - this seems to allow the guitar to make 'heavier' sounds. The guitar fits nicely in your hands and body and has a great 'feel' to it, it feels far more friendly and playable than a lot of guitars I've tried. It feels a lot more like an instrument and playable than Jacksons and certain gibsons/copies I have tried. The neck is thin and flat (as per the RG style), but has a certain thickness to it that fits perfectly to the palm of your hand. Feels amazing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged this guitar a few times and it has held its own. I also have two band practices per week with it. It stays in tune for an age and I rarely have any problems with it. Replacing strings is easy due to the Edge Pro bridge which, unlike other floaters, doesn't require ball-ends to be cut off prior to insertion. The strap buttons are slightly oversized and attaching strap-locks is a little awkward, but when theyre on you know that theyre going to stay on. However, straps tend to stay on this guitar even without them, and I swing around quite a lot. The guitar is coated with a gorgeous matte finish, however, it is quite delicate and prone to scratching. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this guitar and wouldn't part with it. If you're going to use the floating bridge then its great, however, its a pain if you change tunings a lot. Basically, if you like metal or hard rock, and like tremlos and guitars that stay in tune for yonks, this is the guitar for you. // 9

RGT42DXFMTLF Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2006

Features: Mine is a 2005 model, made in Korea, and I don't care what people say, I've had mine for 7 months and it's very solid, not a scratch on it (other than minor pick scratches, of course). The finish on mine was rather darker than the internet photos of it, but it still looks amazing. I polished it and it was more shiny, but that's what it's supposed to do. It has 24 frets, a very smooth, fast neck, and the inlays, don't even get me started. The mother of pearl and pearloid combination on them, it's brilliant. It has a flamed purple top, sounds almost kind of gay, but when you see it, you just want to hold it and never let go. The locking bridge is very stable; I think I've tuned it 2 or 3 times? Something like that, and like I said, I've had it for 7 months. The tuners are sensitive though, when you need to tune it, very stable. It has a vol-tone knob setup and a 5-way pickup selector. // 10

Sound: I had the bridge pickup replaced with a DiMarzio Evolution and it sounds so much clearer, but the original pickup is quite good as well. It's great to play any form of rock and metal with distortion, and most people will say that that stuff doesn't matter for crap unless it can be clean to play, say, Red Hot Chili Peppers, but in the 2nd and 4th position on the pickup selector, I get an amazingly clean sound. I have a friend Who plays on single coils, and he was even jealous of the clean sound I got from the pickups, so I won't hear anyone saying it can't clean up its act, so to speak. It's pure bliss. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It came very well setup from the factory, with the pickups adjusted to the right height and the action low and fast, without buzzing though. I couldn't have asked for a better stock setup. The stock strings didn't even sound that bad. The finish had no flaws, and still doesn't. Although, there is a patch of finish on the back that looks somewhat inconsistent with the rest of the finish, but I think that may only be mine, and I'm not even completely sure it's not supposed to be like that, but whatever. The pots and hardware are all top-notch. No complaints. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played it live twice, I play it every day as practice, and I jam with my friends all the time. It's never failed me yet. I still plan on getting a backup guitar anyway, just for the sake of string breaks and other such freak problems like that. The hardware is stable and dependable. The strap buttons haven't failed me before, except when I'm sitting down and the strap bends and falls off, but that doesn't matter since I was sitting down anyway. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I know it sounds like I'm biased towards it since I own it, but after 7 months, the initial infatuation wears off, and yet, I still find this guitar amazing. Even though most of the stuff I play it through is rather cheap (a Crate 15 watt, actually a rather nice amp, a DigiTech Hot Head Distortion, and a Dunlop Original Crybaby. I spent most of my money on the guitar itself) I still get a great sound from it, a la Metallica, or even punk music. It's a freakin' awesome guitar, and if you're thinking of getting one, I definitely recommend at least trying one. You may just buy it straight off, right there. I guess you should take money with you when you go to play it. // 10

RGT42DXFMTLF Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2006

Features: It was made in 2005, 24 jumbo frets, 25.5" scale rosewood, 1 tone and volume, with 5-way seletor, IBZ INF1 neck pickup and IBZ INF2 bright pickup, 5 pc. Wizard II neck- thru, mohogany body/flamed maple top. // 10

Sound: I play difent kind of music, like rock, punck and metal, it suits for all, very sweet and distorded sound, ad also a powerful clean/acustic sound. I use a Marshall MG15CDR and a Boss GT-8 and it is never noisy even I play with a lot of ditortion. I get I rich sound with the bright pickup and a acustic sound with the neck pickup, I can play bands like Nirvana, Metallica, Sum 41, Slipknot and hatebreed and this guitar can produce the exact sound for each song and band I wan to play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This pickups are made specialy por this guitars for Ibanez, and the are no noisy, no feedbak and they can give a very good distorcion and a preaty electric or acustic clean sound, the selector give me 5 ways to chage, it is a good guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I usualy play with my little amp but whan I used it in live, it is perfectily, it is no noisy, no feedback and it has a preaty finish and it is easy to wear. // 10

Overall Impression: I hace been playing for a year and I have played alot guitars and this one is one of the bets of all, I love the confort when I played and de sustain is very good, if I lose this guitar I would die, this a very good guitar, it was made for metal, specialy for death metal and heavy metal. // 10

RGT42DXFMTLF Reviewed by: your_mom1992, on may 26, 2006

Features: I got this guitar used for $600 dollars. It's a neck-thru guitar with a Wizard II neck that has 24 jumbo frets with deluxe shark tooth inlays. The neck is 5pc. maple/walnut with a rosewood fingerboard. The body is made of mahogany with a flame maple top. The guitar is a bit more purple in real life than in the photo but I personally find it makes the guitar look better. It has a super-Strat style body with an Edge Pro II bridge. The bridge isn't the best one out there and causes the strings to go sharp if you abuse it too much. Although, if you won't be doing much divebombs the bridge can hold it's own. The guitar features two passive humbucking pickups; an Ibanez INF1 pickup in the neck and an INF2 in the bridge. The guitar has one volume and one tone knob as well as a 5-way pickup selector Switch. This guitar does not come with any accesories. // 9

Sound: This guitar's sound is very versatile. I am playing it through a Peavey Rage 158 practice amp and I can get almost any sound that I want out of it. This guitar can give you high levels of distortion with little to no buzzing and has excellent cleans. I was able to replicate any sound I wabted such as: RHCP, Clapton, Mettalica and Guns N' Roses. The bridge pickup sounds full and rich while the neck pickup gives off a more bright and acoustic like tone. Overall I love what I can get out of this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar it was fited with D'Addario strings gauge .09 to .42 and the previous owner had done an excellent job setting up the whammy bar. The only flaw the guitar had was that the input jack was giving me alot of buzzing and I had to re-solder a wire. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have yet to play this guitar live but I'm sure it would well be up to the task. The strap buttons are extremely solid and I have yet to have my strap fall off, but just to be safe I think I'm going to invest in some strap locks. I would definetly gig without a backup with this guitar. My only comlaint is that the paint is easy to chip in some of the more vulnerable places (i.e. tip of the headstock). // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic and hard rock such as Aerosmith and Guns N' Roses but I also like to play blues like BB King. I find that this guitar covers all my needs. I've been playing for a little over one and a half years and I did my homework before buying this guitar. If it were stolen, I would buy this guitar again in a heartbeat. I compared it to some ESPs and Epiphones in the music store but I just couldn't keep away from this guitar. // 10

RGT42DXFMTLF Reviewed by: conortheshreder, on february 23, 2010

Purchased from: ebay

Features: The guitar is made from mahogany with a flame maple top, it is made in Korea but it seems to be pretty solid to me, it has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard with deluxe Shark inlays, a Wizard 2 neckthrough, made from a 5pc maple/walnut a 5 way pickup selector for the inf 1 and inf 2, it also has a edge 2 locking tremelo. // 8

Sound: The guitar I have which I bought from ebay came with a DiMarzio tonezone which is a really nice pickup very warm, great harmonics and sounds great distorted though a little harsh on a clean channel.Any way I never used the inf 2 which I hear is not all that great, but I still have the inf 1 in the neck position which is ok but a little muddy, I am planning on getting irongear hotslag to replace it. The mahogany body and neckthrough design creates really good sustain and a warm tone and the 5 way pickup selector is a nice feature and makes the guitar very versatile for all different genres of music but the guitar is probably most suited to metal or hard rock. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Seeing as I got my guitar from ebay it was perfectly set up the intonation was fine, in tune the action was very low. However I did have a problem with the pickup which fell into the body due to the nut being burred I had to find a nut to fit the pickup(difficult) and because I kept taking the strings on and off to get to the pickup they strings finally snapped (more problems) so I had to get another set of strings the new strings were of a different gauge so I had to reset the tremelo. The guitar has a nice flame maple finish (mine is the purple one which is quite rare)but where the 2 pieces of maple join together the finish is a bit off, the knobs are a bit tarnished but nothing major. Keep in mind this a second hand guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems solid, it is a heavy guitar I would gig with it but would bring a backup just because of the tremelo. The tone knob is a bit tarnished I wouldn't replace it but I might sand it a little to get the tarnish off. My guitar came with schaller strap locks which are really useful. The finish seems fine maybe a bit dull in places but only by the pickups where it is hard to clean. I don't think the tremelo will last forever but that was kinda expected. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall I think it is a really nice guitar it suits me perfectly I play lots of prog metal, thrash, death and neoclassical metal it suits them all quite nicely. I have been playing for 6 months but I know about guitars. I previously had a Ibanez dt120 which is ok but this is in a completely different league if it were stolen I wouldn't get it again as I would be looking for 7 string guitar. What I really like about the guitar is the low action, the overall solid feel to it and the way it sounds which is lets face it the most important part of any guitar. Great guitar for the money. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ EDR170 8.7 Electric Guitars 11/18/2014