RGT42DXFX Review

9.2
review (1) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
RGT42DXFX Reviewed by: dragonforce2099, on june 24, 2014

Purchased from: Hermes Mcallen

Features: This guitar is the NON tremolo version of Ibanez RGT42DX called RGT42DXFX (with fixed bridge) that was made in 2005 in Korea. Its features are:
- 24 jumbo frets
- 5 way switch, tuners are Ibanez made
- Bridge: Fixed Bridge
- Inlays: Deluxe Sharktooth Abalone Pearl
- Finish is Satin Black: very stealthy

Lots of features! But the bad point for me is they should have Gotoh tuners and better pups (the guitar deserve it). // 8

Sound: I play hard rock and some metal I put this baby through my Marshall AVT100 and Peavey Envoy with DigiTech Metal Master and believe me this guitar totally rocks. The mahogany body sounds very powerful for power chords or high gain solos, the sustain is endless and the highs really scream when you bend the strings. I think this is a fantastic guitar, only the pups can be better - I think if you put aftermarket DiMarzios but however for the price this is unbeatable, for hard rock or metal I couldn't get a better deal. This guitar is a metal machine and if you shred you will be happy - with its thin Wizard II neck you will play fast! I don't give it a 10 because they put Ibanez pups - I think this guitar deserved to be equipped with DiMarzios original pups, but anyway Ibanez also has to make money and get more profit so I understand them. The Infinity pups rock but I think I will upgrade a bit, I play Santana, Guns N' Roses or Poison songs with this crazy sexy thing and it totally blew me away its sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is extremely low and the action was great. The pups and everything are great, the strap button are solid, this baby is built as a tank! But take care of the finish it will get glossy as jelly if you don't wipe it (clean it) the guitar is kind of heavy but hell this is mahogany, and the sound is dark and bassy, indestructible! The guitar don't have any loosen or bad part at all and I did play this thing a lot the first 3 years I had it, I mainly love it for its shape and sound, but also because is a limited edition and is gettin' harder to find, I'm seriously thinking about buyin' another one but with Floyd Rose it has the Edge III. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I won't gig up without backup because it will go a little out of tune if I play many bends, but I would surely play a complete show with it if they give me time to tune every now and then, all the hardware is very strong specially the strap buttons, and the switches, it almost died one day that my ex girlfriend was celebrating her party at my house and then some guys started playing my guitar without asking me, and I think they dropped water or beer inside of it, anyway it did played well again when I send it to a luthier for a setup. // 9

Overall Impression: I also own an Ibanez RG470 and I love both they sound different but I love them. I don't hate anything, just when it goes out of tune but I used string lubricant and the tuning gets better. I think I'll never sell it, hope not to f--k the Truss Rod because I adjust it. I love this guitar but it could have better tuners and DiMarzios pickups and I would have payed a little more, aside from that I love it I don't think you can get a better guitar for the price, when I saw it at Hermes I totally fell in love with it, it was love at first sight just as when you see someone really hot - I quickly had a quickie with it. I mean I played it and totally loved it too so I paid 470 - the list price was 773 USD but it was a discount, craftsmanship is flawless, the neck and fingerboard is beautifully done, I love the shape - RG is the sexiest on earth and this guitar totally awesome, it is like a curveous girl. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014