RGT42FM Review

8.8
review (1) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
RGT42FM Reviewed by: charlie__flynn, on january 06, 2009

Purchased from: Rimmers

Features: This Ibanez was made in Korea in 2003. It has the thin wizard neck which makes it easy to play fast and 24 frets for high pitched shredding. it's a solid top, 5 piece maple and walnut neck, with a mahogany body, bound rosewood fretboard and finished in a deep red flamed top style. It's the classic RG style body (I'm sure we all know what they look like). It has the Ibanez Edge Pro II Bridge, with passive INF humbucker pickups and 5-way selector swith and one volume and one tone. Non-locking Ibanez tuners. The only thing I could ask for would be two volume knobs as I like to Switch between volumes often and for the tremolo bar to screw in to it's socket rather than be pushed in. All in all it has very good features. // 8

Sound: I play lots of styles, from clean jazz through the spectrum of rock and heavy metal, this guitar can pull off all of these styles but really shines when the gain is turned up. I use it with a Spider III unfortunately but I can still crank some decent tones with it, I use it through a compressor when playing Live which gives it some extra attack. It's not noisy and has a very deep sound, not bright (which I like). This guitar can really shred and pinch harmonics come easily, it has great sustain too. When I back off the gain for rythm parts this guitar still sounds brilliant. The only problem is the stock Infinity pickups, they are slightly muddy sounding, but they will soon be replaced and then I'm positive this guitar will suit my needs for years to come. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar second hand, the shop I bought it from do I set-up on all second hand guitars so it was perfectly set up already, and this made it play very easily and well. There were no flaws on this guitar in the hardware or finish at all, it's been through one pair of hands before me and I know that I've dropped this guitar a few times but the finish still shines and looks as brilliant as ever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar Live on many occasions, without a back-up, and it did not once fall out of tune or break. The hardware and jack all seem sturdy enough and I have not had a problem. The strap buttons are solid and this guitar is well balanced (unlike an SG) and so does not have a tendency to fall off. The finish does seem like it will last, and it's been around five years without a scratch, I'm impressed. // 10

Overall Impression: I use this guitar for playing heavy music mainly and it keeps up with my playing without breaking a sweat. I have been playing for 4 years and have an SG copy, which is blown out of the water on playability and sound by this Ibanez. If this was stolen I would definately buy it again, it's one of the best guitars in it's price range, and as I got it for much cheaper than usual, I'm very happy. Apart from new pickups and perhaps a better tremolo system then this is a perfect (almost)-budget, proffessional sounding guitar. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014