RGT42FX Review

reviews (2) pictures (1) 24 comments vote for this gear:
RGT42FX Reviewed by: dgargett95, on april 21, 2009

Price paid: A$ 1100

Purchased from: Wollongong Music Store

Features: This guitar was made in 2007 in Japan. It's got 24 JUMBO frets on a 5-piece Wizard II neck thru for brain melting sustainability! The Fretboard is made of bound rosewood and it's got a mahogany wings body. My one has a black, shiny finish with one Ibanez Infinity 1 neck pickup, and one Ibanez Infinity 2 pickup(what it came with). It's got a 5 way pickup selector and 2 knobs, one for volume and the other for tone. // 10

Sound: I mostly play classic rock and rock and roll, a bit of metal and some funk. This guitar suit's me perfectly with amazing sustain, easy bending, a fast neck and great hardware! I'm using a Peavey Envoy 110 and a Marshall MG50DFX and it sounds great, especially on gain! On clean, on high volumes it does start to sound a bit muddy, but it's still awesome! It is not noisy at all, except on super high gain. It can play every style under the sun because of the flexibility in the pickup selector and the great volume an tone knobs. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly, no problems. And the pickups were exactly how they should be. Verything was completely properly set up with no flaws and all the tuning pegs work really well! It looks really nice and is just a simple black, but looks awesome when shredding and flaying some funky riffs! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played with it Live a few times and it's awesome, no problem! The hardware looks great and I think that it will last for ages, although I might get some new pickups eventually, just to see the difference. The strap buttons are really strong and I use them all the time and I trust them completely! I probably wouldn't use it a gig without a backup, because you never know, although I have done it once before and it was fine. The finish looks fantastic and really glossy, but needs to bwiped with a cloth every now and then because of finger marks and hand prints all over it, because it's black. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, and it's prfect for my styles of music! I have been playing for about a year and have played many other guitars, but this one is by farthe best and easiest to play! If it were lost or stolen I would probably get another one or if not one similar with a Floyd Rose and whammy bar. I love how easy it is to play and it's not too heavy. My favourite feature is the super fast and smooth wizard II neck, it's great! I tried out a few strats and epiphons and this one is by far the best, great buy! The only thing I wish it had is a Floyd Rose locking system and whammy bar. // 10

RGT42FX Reviewed by: Johnny Lingo, on march 16, 2010

Price paid: C$ 390

Purchased from: Kijiji - Used

Features: Got this guitar on Kijiji used for $390 with a nice strap and a shitty gig bag which I tossed. Guitar had a ding on the bottom rear edge near the middle that I repaired. Otherwise it was in awesome shape. This is a 2006 model I believe, made in Korea. It is actually the RGT42FXDX model, the DX indicating the deluxe Shark tooth inlays. Finish is Satin Matte Black Features: Neck: 5-piece Wizard II thru-neck NeckType: Wizard II (neck-thru) Body: Mahogany body Frets: Jumbo frets Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood Inlay: Deluxe Shark Tooth Bridge: Fixed bridge Neck Pickup: IBZ INF1 Bridge Pickup: IBZ INF2 5 Way Pickup Switch 1 Volume, 1 Tone Knob Hardware Color: PC This is a deluxe hard tail model, and was exactly what I was looking for, and got the Shark tooth inlays to boot! // 10

Sound: The guitar has an amazing sound, and with the 5 way selector, very versatile. It truly is a hard rock guitar, and that was what I got it for. Mostly lead playing on the very heavy side, with a needed crunch for rhythm. Shines at this, it does. I use it thru my Peavey Vypyr 30, with any and all effects. It has a full sound, but not too bright, so you do get a really meaty full tone. Not noisy at all, and this is to be expected of Ibanez, who has a much better quality curve than Gibson or Fender. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was bought used, so I don't know how it was from the factory, but again, Ibanez seems to have a much better quality curve than some of the other manufacturers. I have a chinese made Ibanez ART100 that is better than a $750 Epiphone, and it kills any Squier made. I would expect a near perfect setup at this price range (new about $700 Cdn). As for the quality of finish and manufacture of the guitar, it is awesome. It feels like quality from top to bottom, all features are finished very nicely, giving it a flawless appearance. Hats off to Ibanez again! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think that this guitar would be at least as durable as any on the market, at any price. It is put together perfectly, stays in tune forever (fixed bridge, which is why I wanted it), and just plain built to tour. The finish is a satin matte black, that will get a bit of a polished look to it after a while from wear, but it takes knocks well and doesn't show small pick scratches much. It would likely last a whole gig without being put down, given the variety and quality of sound and tone, but it is unprofessional to gig without a backup, period. // 9

Overall Impression: I have played for 30 years, and grew up on a heavy Les Paul tone and sustain. I later shifted to leaner necks for speed, and this Ibanez gives it all. I play mostly classic heavy metal, Sabbath, Priest, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, but have broadened my horizons much in last 10 years. I have had played most mainstream makes and types of guitars, so I am fair judge of what is decent. This is a top notch guitar, and is right up there with Gibson and Fender for quality, and beats both in playability, for me anyway. Bottom line, if you are looking for an extremely fast neck, amazing sustain, quality construction, and a rich tone with passive pickups, this guitar is one of the best I've ever played, and is the best one I own overall. Outstanding! // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014