RGT6EXFX Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/07/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RGT6EXFX
If you like having a nuclear bomb in your arsenal, then this is for you. this guitar is as metal as it gets. I played on several "higher" end ibanez including the prestige line, and let me tell you this fixed bridge monster came out on top for me. the simplicity, built for durability and powerful face melting soloing.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
reviews (4) pictures (1) 25 comments vote for this gear:
RGT6EXFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 15, 2008

Price paid: € 766

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: This guitar was made in 2007 in Korea. Features a 25.5" scale with 24 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, 5pc Wizard II maple/walnut neck thru. The body style is a Superstrat, mahogany wing body with a black finish and fixed bridge with string-thru-body. The pickups we have here is the active EMG 81/85 combo with a 3-way selector. The guitar came with a gigbag, strap and cable. // 9

Sound: The style of music I play varies from metal to hardrock and this guitar fits both perfectly. I play the RGT6EXFX through a Hughes&Kettner Vortex Black Halfstack, which is not the best metal amplifier in the world. So I use a Line6 POD and a Boss ME-20 multi effects to alter the sound, and it works perfectly. The EMG's are known to be silent, and indeed they are. With my previous guitar (a cheap BC Rich model) I had so much noise that it was a burden to play Live. But not with this baby. The mahogany gives it a rich and full sound. The 81 pickup is a screaming lead powerhouse, and the 85 produces a warm but bright clean. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar, the action was a little high, so I lowered it and it's amazing. Pickups were fine how they came in. This guitar was absolutely flawless when I got it, solid as a rock. The neck on this baby is unbelievable. Very comfortable to play on, like butter in my hands. The guitar is also very comfortable to play with standing up, which is a bliss after a top-heavy BC Rich. When I first got it, I just couldn't put it down. While the only thing I wanted to do with the BC Rich was tossing it out of the window. Amazing guitar for an amazing price. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged with this guitar, but I wouldn't gig without a backup. A snapped string can happen with the best guitars. The strap buttons are very solid, but I'm not much of a jumper when I gig, so if you like to swing your guitar around and act crazy on stage, I recommend getting straplocks. It's a solid guitar which can take some beating, the finish looks good enough to stay on for a while. But I personally wouldn't throw this baby all around the room. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is absolute bliss to me. I've always wanted EMG pickups, but I didn't want to put them in my crappy BC Rich. So when I saw this Ibanez model with the 81/85, I didn't hesitate. I tried it at the local guitar store, and fell in love. If it were stolen/lost, I probably wouldn't buy the same one, but I would surely go for another Superstrat with EMG's. It's a very good and reliable guitar for the metal or heavy rock player. If you're looking for a nice, comfortable and amazing sounding guitar, this is the one you're looking for. // 9

RGT6EXFX Reviewed by: logspran, on january 29, 2009

Purchased from: Henry's Music

Features: The Ibanez RGT6EXFX is not bad when it comes to features. The guitar has jumbo frets, so it makes playing easier when it comes to playing higher on the neck. The guitar has a night black finish and great shape that is comfortable for playing. There is both a volume control and a tone control and a 3-way selector. There are two pickups on this guitar, they are humbucking and sound great from the moment you plug it in. They really kick in the second you start playing, and don't need to warm up. The model I bought came with a nice silver case. // 9

Sound: This guitar fits perfectly into my music style. I use this guitar mainly for shred metal, soloing, and it's perfect fo these. I play a lot of Paul Gilbert/Racer X on this guitar, and it's the perfect guitar for doing so. The sound is so clear and rich. Even if you have the distortion all turned al of the way up along with the gain, you can still make out every note. I've used this guitar on several amps, a couple of them being a Roland, a Marshall, and others, I've used at friends houses. I've even played on a crappy amp that had a bunch of wires cut out, and it still plays amazing. The sound of this guitar is the big seller here. It's amazing. This guitar has a fairly wide variety of sounds, considering it's not a hollowbody guitar. Each setting has it's own unique sound and it's rich in it's own way. everything sounds great. no cons in this department. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up great. I've played it for a little over a year without breaking one string. It's great. The great black finish is still as full and dark as it was when I bought it and everything works great. No real flaws I can think of. Everything looks and sounds great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes, I've played this guitar Live. It's great as long as you're not one of those people Who whips it around and bangs it on the floor. I always have a backup guitar with me for playing acoustic songs, but I've never had to use my backup in place of this guitar. The finish is still as dark as when I got it and the pickups are still working fine. It sounds as rich and as clear as ever. The only thing I will say is that, being it has a black finish, the guitar can get quite dusty, but it's no big deal once you brush it off it's fine. But it sounds great on stage. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for anyone playing solo work, metal, rock, classic rock etc... etc.. but if you are looking to play light/soft acoustic sounds, then this may not be the guitar for you. But it matchs the styles of metal, rock, screamy solos and shred perfectly. This guitar easily outplays most Gibson SGs and some of Gibson's top models. I can't believe that this guitar was under $1000. It's incredible and totally worth the buy. The only thing I would wish it had was one more pickup in the middle, but it sounds almost just as good with 2. I have been playing for about 6 years now, and it is my favorite guitar, so far. If it were stolen I would buy it again. I may even by other one if it weren't stolen. That's how great this gem really is. It's an amazing guitar and it's rich and clear in everything it has. // 10

RGT6EXFX Reviewed by: Eskil Rask, on february 24, 2010

Purchased from: Musikbörsen (Sweden)

Features: This guitar was made in 2007 in Korea. It has a 25.5" scale (I think) neck-thru 5 piece maple/walnut neck with 24 frets. The fretboard is Rosewood. I was pretty confused regarding the body wood, some places said it was Mahogany, other places said it was Basswood. I have come to the conclusion that the new version in Chameleon Green (or whatever it's called) is mahogany, while my older black version is basswood. It's definitely lighter than the Chameleon one. The finish is very shiny, i would have preferred it to be satin black, since this one really shows fingermarks and so on. The bridge is a standard stock Ibanez String-Thru fixed bridge. A Tune-o-Matic had been a lot better imo. It has crushing EMG 81/85, and they sound incredible. The tuners are stock Ibanez and work fine, however the g-string tends to go a bit flat on big bends. The guitar came with a stock bag. I'm, only giving it an 8 because of the cheap bridge and tuners. Rest is taste. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of death metal, especially modern high-gain metal, and the EMG 81 really does its job for that, especially when put through my Bugera 333XL combo. I find, however, that I only play clean on my neck pickup. The bridge just sounds thin and nasal. Overall the sound is very full, and a lot more complex than my ESP LTD Viper-407 which also has EMG 81 pickups (albeit the seven string version). The clean tone on the 85 is really deep and mellow, great for Jazz. I'm giving this guitar a 7 because the pickups are kind of a one trick pony; bridge is only good for distortion, and neck is only good for clean. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar, the action was really low, and all strings buzzed from 4th fret and upwards. I had some trouble getting it better, but one of my friends almost solved the problem for me, so I still had a bit of buzz. I found, however, that the strings felt as if they were way too far from each other, and that they felt too thin, even when I had .11's on them. So I ended up buying a set of Ernie Ball 12-56's and had the shop where I bought them set it up, including filing down the nut to make place. Now it feels really good, however I am limited to tuning at or below D-standard, as the strings become too tight if I tune up. Fine with me. It has to be tuned low anyway. METAL! \m/ this is just a warning however. If I had knew this would be an issue, I would have bought an ESP instead, my EX-260 feels just fine, even with.10's on. For this reason I have to give it an 8. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guitar for about 5-6 months now, and it seems very sturdy. The finish is rock solid. I have used this guitar at several gigs without a backup, and I really like it with the new strings. This is definitely a great guitar. I have to give this a 9, because you can never know. I haven't had it for more than 5 months, you know.. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for 1 year now, and I played 1 years of bass guitar before that. I own a Sandberg bass, a cheapo LTD EX-260 and a Bugera 333XL-212 combo. I also own an ESP LTD Viper-407, so you can say I know a bit about guitar gear. I also spend a lot of time reading about stuff, so I'm pretty knowledgeable on this. And I can say that this guitar is really really good. I tried my friend's Gibson Les Paul Standard, and my Ibanez simply felt A LOT better in every aspect. I'm not sure if I would buy it again if it was stolen or lost, but that's just because I think there are a lot of other guitars out there thay may be better for the price for me. I really love the fast neck on this guitar, but I think it is too wide if you want to use standard strings honestly. I would also really like a coil tap or something, just for versatility. I give this a 9, since it is actually really good compared to other guitars I have tried, // 9

RGT6EXFX Reviewed by: simba1312, on june 07, 2011

Features: First off I'd like to state that the guitar I have is a RGT6EX and not the RGT6EXFX as I have given above. They didn't have the option so I had to give the closest model. I don't know the year it was made but it states on the headstock that it was manufactured in Indonesia. There are 24 frets (jumbo I think) on a 25.5 inch scale. I don't if its solid top or laminated but there is some kind of glittery coating. It shines in the light. The body and neck are made of mahogany, which makes it very heavy. It pains sometimes to stand and play. Plus the strap I have came free with the guitar, so it's quality doesn't exactly help my cause. The fretboard is made of rosewood. The body is super Strat style, the one that all Ibanez RG's come in. The Bridge is an Edge 3 i.e. a Floyd Rose. It was in tune for the first few months, but has now started going out of tune. I changed the strings from 09-42 to 10-46. The Bridge has since then gone up from the body. Do I need an extra spring to bring it back down? The pickups are active EMG 81 in the Bridge and 85 in the neck. There is one tone and one volume control. The volume control sometimes gets accidentally turned when I rest my palm against the bridge. This is one of the flaws, the knob is too close to the strings. There are three pickup configurations: Neck, both neck and bridge, and Bridge only. The tuners are Standard Ibanez locking tuners I presume. It was not mentioned anywhere whether they were branded or something. I got a gig bag, a cable(a cheap one), strap, a spring and some allen keys. None of the allen keys that I got fitted in the locking tuners, I had to go buy a set just to tune the guitar. // 7

Sound: I play mostly metal (thrash and some death), alongwith the occasional joe satriani, steve vai instrumentals and some punk. The EMG's are good for metal, but somewhat seem less bright for cleans.I know they are not single coils but still. I play through a Line 6 Spider III (yes I know it's not good but I had to make do). Sometimes with the right EQ I get a useable tone in the metal and insane channels. There is noise in the insane chanel with the gain on 5 and above, but I don't know if it is just the amp or the cable or the guitar. The pickups can accomplish reasonable clean sound but it's forte is metal. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it from the store so I don't know whether the store guy set it up or the factory. I had played it a few times and then only bought it. The strings had rusted and I asked them to change it which they did without any charge. The action was perfect according to me. I didn't notice any problems in the store but after I got home and played, the first string seemed to be lacking in sound when I downpicked, in comparison with the other strings. The tone knob was very loose and on the back of the body and on the headstock you could see the plastic covering with air bubbles in them. I took the guitar back to the store, and they resolved the tone control, but the 1st string still lacks the sound. Guess I'll just have to live with it. Of late, the screws in the pickups and the hardware on the Bridge have started rusting. I don't like this at all. Is there a remedy to fix this other than just painting it? // 6

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used this live except in church, but I think it can hold up. I'm thinking about changing the Bridge but it will have to wait. The strap buttons are solid, they seem like they will last. I don't have another electric guitar so I'll just have to trust this one to last the gig if I do one. The finish is excellent, the only problem is that you can see your fingerprints, but a cloth solves them. // 7

Overall Impression: For metal, this guitar is a good match. For the last 7 months this guitar has helped me to make music and I hope it can last forever. Right now I play it through a spider 3.If possible, I'll get better gear in the future. Other than this I have a Hobner 265 acoustic. It plays like a dream with the right strings and has been my friend for the last 7 years. If the RGT6EX is stolen, I'd buy a better guitar with a better trem. The EMG's are my favourite.They are the reason I chose this over the RG420, RG350 and ESP MH50. 1000 dollars... is almost Rs.47000, which is the price I paid. Honestly, the guitar is worth less, but the taxes on it increased the price. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014