RT650 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 05/12/2004 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RT650
Strat style body, String-through body tremolo bridge, Original Ibanez locking tuners
 8.6
 7.1
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
RT650 Reviewed by: aboywhodestroyd, on may 12, 2004

Purchased from: Atomic Music

Features: This model is no longer manufactured. The RT series was made from about '92-'94. 24 frets. H-S-H, 1 tone, 1 volume, 5-way Switch, you can pull the tone knob up to make the humbuckers act like single coils. Not sure about pickups, but believe they are originals, which are neck-V7 HB, middle-S2 single, bridge-V8 HB. Alder body, 1 pc. maple neck, rosewood fretboard. Strat style body. String-thru body tremolo bridge. Has original Ibanez locking tuners, like the ones that used to be on the RG's. Rounded fingerboard with traditional sized frets. Blue flame top finish that looks awesome. // 10

Sound: I play anything, jazz, punk, metal, Dueling Banjos, this axe is great. It's really versatile, especially with the option of having the humbuckers act as single coils. Very little fret buzz at all. I play on a Crate GX-15 and Behringer V-Tone GMX210 and play clean, distorted, autowah, whatever, it all kicks ass. This guitar sounds great and I'd never give it up. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is amazing. It's really low, yet there's so little buzz you wouldn't believe it. The strings are low gauge too (.009-.042), making this a true shredder's guitar. I bought it used, so of course it's imperfect, but only slightly. A few chips in the finish on the back, probably from a belt, a slight crack on the front, slightly rusted bridge, and the bridge pickup is slightly crooked. But appearance I couldn't care less about, it still sounds and works great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons aren't great, I've had it slip a few times. Even though that was party my fault by being stupid, I'm still planning on getting strap locks eventually. The hardware is great, I've dropped this and bumped it on walls and stuff but it's still solid. All of the hardware is original, which means its at least 10 years old, and everything still works great. I would use it at a gig without a backup because I don't have access to another guitar, but I'd prefer to have a backup of everything. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly punk and metal, but really I'll play anything, and the versatility of this guitar makes it a great match. Been playing for 6 months and it's the only electric I've ever owned, and I don't plan on changing that for a while. If I lost it, I'd do everything I possibly could to get it back, because I doubt I'd be able to find another one. Everyone who's seen this guitar has been impressed at how nice the action and finish are. I looked at a couple others, don't remember what, and I liked this the best. The neck is really small and so easy to play. This guitar is the second most valuable item to me, my banjo hand-made by my great-grandfather being the most. To anyone who ever finds one of these guitars: buy it, you probably won't see another one again and will be giving up a great thing if you don't. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 8.9 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014