RVX220 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 03/05/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: RVX220
The X features the classic 24.75" neck, which lends itself to strong rhythm and leads. The bolt on All Access neck joint allows easy access to the upper frets typically associated with set-in and neck thru joints.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 8.7
 8.6
 8.7
reviews (3) pictures (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
RVX220 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 02, 2005

Purchased from: Local Shop

Features: This guitar I believe is brand new. 24 jumbo fret solid top. This beast has a basswood body and I'm thinking a maple neck? Tune-O-Matic bridge, 3-way selector to the INF3 (neck) and INF4 (bridge) pickups. // 8

Sound: This guitar sounds great! I play mostly anything from blusey jazz like Maroon 5 to metal like Metallica to death metal like Slipknot. The sound is very bright the tone is very good distorted or clean. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This gutiar was set up very well. The action was perfect but the bridge pup was loose so I had to highten that and the action but it still plays beautifully. No flaws whatsoever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live yet but I have done some performances with my friends for my other friends and it stood up well I didn't need to use my backup Jackson/Carvin Strat. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is great. If it was stolen I don't know if I would buy it back because its a great guitar but I'm thinking that I dont like it as much as my Jackson Strat or this beautiful Schecter at the shop. I'd suggest it as a begginner/intermediate player. // 8

RVX220 Reviewed by: americablanco, on october 31, 2007

Features: First of all, I got this used. This guitar was made in Korea in '05 (I wish it was North Korea). It's got 24 large frets which I need for some solos that I do. There's the 3 peice bolt-on thin neck made out of maple and a basswood body (I'm saving to custom make a mahogony body). The fretboard is made out of rosewood. The pickups are INF3 and INF4. I believe this is a Tune-O-Matic bridge. The controls are master volume, master tone, and a 3-way selector switch, which is pretty Standard in my book. // 8

Sound: I play metal and classic rock. This guitar is meant for rock and some metal players. I can definetly get a Metallica sound out of this when I use my Boss OS-2 pedal when the tone and Drive are on max and the color is all the way to dist. I am using a Fender Frontman 25-R which is probably why the clean on this guitar is "manageable" for Classic Rock. Harmonics on this guitar sound kind of "Nintendo-ish" (see pickups). Open bends (as in Iron Man intro) are easier on the higher strings than the lower ones because the length of the lower strings is shorter than that of the higher ones. Are you still with me? // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said before, I got this used. The knob for the selector Switch was missing which I had to point out and got a $20.00 (USD) discount. I replaced it with one from an SG on display a week later. My hands are oily so the fretboard collects a lot of oil and dirt, especially along the 9th and 10th frets. I've had this guitar for about 6 months and everything seems fine. It stays in tune for a long time, but for some reason, when it's leaning on my window and the sun hits hit only the third string (G) gets out of tune. I recommend Ernie Ball (guage 9) strings or DR (guage 10). // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have no idea how many times I've hit this guitar 'accidentally on purpose' because I mainly only play this at school or at a relatives house. I dare not take my LP. The balance on this guitar is pretty poor. Too much weight is concentrated on the left side of the guitar body that the head naturally leans downwards when playing standing up. As far as gigs go, only if you can sit down. Even then, you have to get used to the feel of it when sitting down and get the type of chord that bends (or is already bent) easily. // 10

Overall Impression: As far as my feeling go, this guitar is with me only for small gigs and out of home use. I've been playing for 3 years but have known how guitars work for about 5. If this guitar were stolen/lost I would probably look somewhere else, again, only for a practice guitar. I love the thin neck, but I see no need for it with my big hands. Probably the only thing I "hate" about this guitar is it's poor balance when playing standing up and that there is no suitable stand for it. Now if only it came with a Floyd Rose. // 9

RVX220 Reviewed by: ferdius, on march 05, 2014

Features: Made in Indonesia, in 2005, this guitar is a radical take on the flying V style guitar with an extended fin on top. The guitar is made with a basswood body, maple neck with ebony fretboard, bolt on with binding. It has a tuneomatic style bridge with the ez load tailpiece, one volume and one tone control with a 3 way switch. The guitar features 2 humbucker, a INF3 in the neck position, ceramic magnet and an INF4 in the bridge position with an alnico 5 magnet. The tuners are Ibanez tuners, but hold tune very well and is well constructed. It is black in color, nothing special, but then again, it is built for straight ahead rock and roll, and has plenty to do the job. // 8

Sound: My first impression of this guitar is that it is made to rock. The clean sound to be fair, is okay, nice ringing to the treble end and a nice bass thunk, but overall, the v body style does limit the overall shape of the tone. When played dirty, and I'm talking with just a little to a lot of overdrive or distortion, this guitar sounds great. I like classic rock, blues and power pop and it does the sound excellent. To be fair, it is more for a rock sound with some grit, so my overall rating takes this into account. I play through a Fender tube amp and I like the sound I get from this. The Ibanez pickups complement each other quite well, and when I am playing with distortion, this guitar will see a lot of use. Right now, what impresses me the most about the guitar is the pickups, they are powerful, but pack a lot of tone which surprised me given that I have seen several posts really trashing these pickups. I have an Epiphone Les Paul style guitar with soapbars and a LTD MV 100 with a lace humbucker and single in it, so for clean and other sounds I can use those guitars, or simply put, this guitar complements my other guitars, it has its own sound, and for what I play, this will get use, and if I was to be honest in my rating: for classic rock 10, I won't speculate for metal as I really don't play metal and would not be giving a fair evaluation, for clean, I would rate this guitar a 6, it's got some good sounds, but to be fair, it is limited. Good crunch, with clean definition of all strings distorted. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Being used, I would say the guitar is put together very well. Everything fits tight, and there are no gaps, the paint job is good, nothing special. The hardware, well above average, good quality, basically what I would expect from Ibanez. The basswood body is very resonant when played, and it has a bit of a brighter tone when compared to mahogany which is fine for my tastes. The silver pickup trim ring looks a little cheap to me, but it's nothing that I would go out of my way to replace. For a V style guitar, it is actually pretty comfortable to play, and I can actually play it sitting down as you can work it a little to play. The tuners hold tuning excellently, they may be Ibanez's own, but they are well made. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Overall the guitar is very solid, it is nine years old and still in excellent shape. The strap buttons are solid, and more importantly, well placed on this guitar, I haven't had any worries about the strap coming off. The hardware is solid, and after some adjustments to my tastes, the guitar gives me the impression that it will last a long time. THe only part of the guitar that is a little weak is the finish. While it is a nice solid black, you can see a little fade in it, but then again, I bought it used, and this could be from the previous owner. // 8

Overall Impression: I like playing blues, power pop, classic rock and even a little country once in a while, I own 4 guitars and don't expect one guitar to be perfect for all, that said, I like this guitar for classic rock, I like that it sings when distorted and that there is clear definition on all the strings in all three switch positions. I am surprised at how much I like the sound of the stock Ibanez pickups, and to be honest if it was stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to find another one. It is limited (to me) in what you can play it for, but within it's limits, it does its job very well. The overall quality is very good, but to be honest, my LTD guitar still is a notch above, but thats okay. One thing I like about this guitar is that it has a bolt on neck which I prefer, again my preference, so this does what I want it to do. Overall I give it a 7, please read that I give it this because to me it is limited in it's sound, not because it doesn't sound good. // 7

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014