RX40 Review

Ibanez: RX40
 7.5
review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
RX40 Reviewed by: Snowman388, on june 03, 2010

Purchased from: A gift from my friend

Features: My guitar was made in Korea, about 10 years ago. It has 22 medium frets, and is a Stratocaster model. Basswood body, Maple neck and Rosewood fretboard. Red finish with a white pickguard. Tremolo bridge, one volume and one tone knob and 5-way selector. Two single-coil pickups and one bridge humbucker. Non-locking tuners. // 8

Sound: I play metal, classic metal and hard rock (occasionally). This guitar is perfect for that. It sounds great in overdrive/distortion. It lacks in clean, but I don't usually play in that. For a beginner's guitar, this is the perfect shredder guitar. I use it with a Laney LX-12, which doesn't add much color to the sound so I can hear it as it sounds. And it's great. I don't experiment with pedals or sounds, I just stick with the basics, as it is a beginner guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, it was set up perfect. No flaws that I have found over the past 7 years. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take a f**king beating. It is over 10 years old, and only this year began to show any signs of age. I've recently moved into a tiny apartment, so I have bumped my guitar into the walls/tables/chairs a lot. The finish is starting to chip in certain places, but this is relatively new. The hardware lasts, I can tell you that. The strap buttons have held for a long time. Very dependable guitar, I would gig without a backup but i'm not stupid. The pickguard protects the finish well, and the rest of the guitar is pretty sturdy. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal (including classic) and hard rock. If you are beginning, this is the guitar you want for that style. I have been playing for 7 years, although I only recently began playing seriously (and metal, for that matter). By now, I am too experienced for this guitar, so if I lost it I would probably buy a better one. But, this guitar is still worthy after 7 years of playing and 10 years of being played. I love it's heavy distortion, but it lacks when in clean. I wish it had a Floyd Rose bridge, but don't we all? // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014