S270 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 03/26/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: S270
It covers quite a lot of sounds. The pickups aren't the best, but they sound nice. The single coil is slightly noisy though. The switch enables a with variety of sound to be produced, as every position sounds really unique.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 7.5
 7.8
 8.1
 7.4
reviews (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
S270 Reviewed by: Kaz3-6-0, on march 26, 2008

Features: The S2170 is a standout member of the Ibanez A-Team-the Prestige Series-featuring some of the finest attributes the company has to offer. You'll surely find yourself gazing for a while at that intriguing burled poplar top, which adorns the slim yet sleek mahogany body that all S series guitars possess. The body's "natural flat" finish (indicated by the NTF at the end of the guitar's name) only adds to its appeal, as does the guitar's overall cosmetic simplicity: a mere two knobs for global volume and tone, one five-way pickup selector, and an elegant bound rosewood fretboard garnished by a lone Prestige inlay at the 12th fret. The headstock maintains the less-is-more aesthetic, topping the guitar with a rosewood truss rod cover and a subtle Ibanez Prestige logo that emanates a royal character underneath those classy-looking Gotoh Precision. // 5

Sound: Most important, and most astonishing, are the array of tones that the S2170 can produce. We were able to Switch from thickly compressed, high-gain fusion lines to clean, delay-drenched ambient tones with only minimal EQ adjustments to the patches on our M-Audio Black Box. American-made DiMarzio/IBC pickups are the ace in the 2170's pocket; designed by pickup mastermind Steve Blucher, they project a warm, Vintage-style rock 'n' roll tone at a medium output. Think Gibson PAFs, but overwound for hotter mids. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Don't be fooled by the S2170's slenderness; once you handle the guitar, you'll be quickly reminded that it does in fact possess a mahogany body. Still, it balances nicely on a player's lap. On its own, the buttery Wizard II prestige neck is nearly worth the guitar's full retail price, the rounded contours of this five-piece maple/Bubinga composite just melt into your fretting hand, and it only takes a lick or two to start gushing over the 22 jumbo frets and Ultra-flat radius, which foster an atmosphere of bending nirvana. Whammy junkies will fully appreciate both the smoothness and the consistent tuning afforded by the roller bearings in the revolutionary Ibanez-designed ZR (zero resistance) bridge, not to mention it's handful of tweakable features like the arm torque adjuster, which lets you easily adjust the whammy bar's height. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been with me for 5 years, it has withstood Live playing, along with the occasional beer cans thrown at it. the finish may last to the end, possibly in my will. The strap buttons? It is very, very solid, I have even put 100 pounds on the headstock and body, lifted the guitar with the straps, and held it there for 5 minutes(My arms got tired so I had to stop). // 3

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal and this guitar is just perfect. The S2170FWNTF is a versatile instrument capable of creating many sonic textures. Aesthetics notwithstanding, this guitar can be counted on to deliver on those days when you need the right ax for that midday session with Paul Rodgers, followed by the quick rehearsal with the Metallica tribute band that precedes your gig as sole guitarist backing up the Temptations. // 5

S270 Reviewed by: Nosgoth, on july 13, 2004

Purchased from: Musifex

Features: - Made in Korea - 22 jumbo frets, rosewood finger board - Wizard II neck mahogany - Thin body - Floating bridge, single locking - Passive pickups - 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob and 5 way selector. // 10

Sound: I'm still kind of a newbie, but I can tell this guitar packs quite a nice sound. It covers quite a lot of sounds, as I play in it things ranging from Metallica to Blink 182, and it keeps up with all. I use a Roland Cube-30, mostly clean but also distorted. Sounds nice with both. The pickups aren't the best, but they sound nice. The single coil is slightly noisy though. The Switch enables a with variety of sound to be produced, as every position sounds really unique. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well set up, but I can't really tell because I set it fixed before I left the store. Anyway, after that the action was really low, too low perhaps as it leads to some fret buzzing, but it can be fixed easily. The finish is beautiful and perfect (jewel blue). // 10

Reliability & Durability: The hardware seems to last! I unfortunately dropped a wrench key (big and heavy) on it, leaving only an almost invisible din't. I would use it without a backup but I'm a newbie so I'm not really sure if my opinion is to be trusted. But I would trust this guitar. The strap button tends to get loose, but easily screwed back on. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock, and it fits nice. I've been playing for less than 6 months, and I just own this and the amp. I entered the store planning on buying another guitar (also Ibanez) but I just felt this one was right, even after trying more expensive guitars. I just love the looks, the feel and the sound. If it were stolen I'd buy another on the double! The only thing I wish it had is a non screwing tremolo handle. // 10

S270 Reviewed by: DTownIndy, on march 21, 2007

Sound: I play every style of music and this guitar allows for seamless genre and style switching. I have used it with Line 6 Spider III and Mesa Boogie amps. The guitar's tone was constant across both qualities of amps. The overall sound of the guitar with factory pickups is very warm and accurate. I will be switching to a Dimarzio Fred in the bridge soon. No extra noises. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was typical. I lowered the action and adjusted the bridge for eight gauge strings. The ZR bridge allows for very low action with clean sound.My first time changing strings was a little difficult.The blocks were hard to lock the strings in place. The second time went much smoother, after I adjusted to how the string fit in the saddle. The finish of the guitar was flawless.The Burled top gives the guitar a great custom look and feel. The stock pickups were adjusted well with no flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar plays great Live. The slender S styling allows for long duration playing. The weight of the guitar is just enough to make it feel solid and durable. I would play a complete tour with just this guitar. I have had the guitar for 4 months and lots of hours played in that time. This guitar was worth the price. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for 23 years. Mostly Ibanez and mostly S series models. Overall impression, this is by far the best S model to date. If someone stole the guitar I would buy three more. One of each finish. The Wizard II neck allows for blazing speed but also nice smooth chord changes with little effort and strain on your hand and fingers. The guitar can be played with a gentle light touch (jazz pop styles) or palm muted into the ground. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014