S470DX Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 11/23/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: S470DX
The S is thin around the edge to give you great comfort, and thick around the neck, pickups and bridge to give you great tone.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 8.9
 8.4
 8.8
reviews (19) 28 comments vote for this gear:
S470DX Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 12, 2005

Purchased from: Guelph Music

Features: I bought this guitar two years ago and I absolotuely love the look of this guitar. It has a super thin body and a nice dark blue finish. The guitar has this extremely nice textured finish that never needs to be polished. The new bridge system is absolutely incredible. The whole system is on ball bearings, so it will never go out of tune due to intenses tremolo work. It has a five way Switch selector although I personnaly have ever wanted to use two spots. The DX also has a locking tuning system! This is partly the main reason I love this guitar. I haven't tuned normally for several months and only once per week I have to fine tune it. // 10

Sound: I think the sound from this guitar is nice and clean and is very flexible to many playing styles, but not the kind I play. This guitar can't give me that '60s rock tone that I thought it could. This is a more metal orientated guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it and I haven't changed anything since. The only flaw which kind of pissed me off is the input for your cable. Once the wire is in you have to tug and tug until it comes popping out. This has caused me to pull of the actual cord not the end resulting in some wrecked cables. That is the only flaw that I can see with the guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is very reliable and could take a hell of a beating. I would definately recommend this guitar for live playing. The strap buttons are extremely solid. The finish is textured and never has to be polished, a bonus for the lazy guy like me. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Pink FLoyd, Jethro Tull) and this guitar is only ok for this kind of music. I wouldn't recommend it for blues or rock. If I had to buy another guitar I think I would get a trusty Fender instead due to its warm and bluesy tone. My fav feature is the finish and a good price for the value of this guitar. If you like metal or hard rock get this guitar! If not I won't recommend it. // 8

S470DX Reviewed by: RIAAsux, on june 28, 2004

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: It might be faster to list the features it doesn't have. This guitar is nearly perfect, great tone, great sustain, a friggin awesome double-locking tremolo, a 5-way pick-up selector Switch, locking tuners. It's all good. My favorite feature is the tremolo though, it's the best tremolo I've ever played. Even if you break some strings, it still stays in tune. Almost perfect. If some of you are wondering the difference between the S470 and the S470DX, it's the metallic finish. Mine's Arctic blue and it's beautiful. // 10

Sound: It suits my style (mellow rock-hard rock) great, the only issue I have with the sound is the weak pickups. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is easy. There was nothing wrong with my guitar when I got it, and there's still nothing wrong with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this guitar very long now. I've only played it live 2-3 times. But when I did, it was great. The only reason I needed another guitar with me was for Drop-D tuning. Another great feature is the guitar is soo light and thin. When you pick it up it feels like you're gonna snap it, but after you hold it for awhile. You'll never wanna have a heavy guitar ever again // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is great. Goes with my style, Freakin awesome tremolo. I dunno what else you could want. I've been playing for around 4 years now, and this is my favorite guitar I've ever had by far. My other gear: Epi les Paul, Squeir Tele, Spider 212 amp, Dunlop crybaby, Metal distortion petal, Boss Delay, Boss Compressor, DigiTech GNX1 guitar workstation. // 10

S470DX Reviewed by: kyle62, on november 26, 2007

Purchased from: gak.co.uk

Features: 2004 model. Standard S-series setup; HSH 'Infinity' ceramic pickups with a 5-way switch, Ibanez 'Zero Resistance' ball-bearing trem with built-in tremsetter. The slim body's made up of three pieces of mahogany with a quilted maple veneer, and the neck is a maple/rosewood 'Wizard II'. Basically it's an S470 with binding and better cosmetics, almost all comments apply equally to the S470 and S470DX! // 7

Sound: Unplugged, the guitar feels surprisingly loud and resonant considering how light it is. Plugged in, the stock 'Infinity' pickups seem a bit muddy, especially at the bridge. The neck pickup is very smooth, but the bridge pickup has a horrible lack of definition and the middle singlecoil is a flat and characterless unit, for occasional use only. This is an ideal candidate for a pickup upgrade; depending what you fit this guitar can manage a massive range of styles, though a decent bridge pickup is essential to get the most out of this guitar! A good starting point is the Seymour Duncan JB, which works quite well in this guitar for most rock and metal tones. Also, a decent singlecoil in the middle can achieve some passable Strat tones. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: It's all good quality stuff, the machineheads are a bit flimsy (you won't be using them that often anyway) but the input jack and switches are rock-solid. The build quality's excellent for the price too, with uniformly neat frets and a snug fit in the neck pocket. Ibanez's 'ZR' trem is a superb bit of engineering! Okay, if you're after non-stop Vai style whammy madness, an Edge Pro would beat it, but for most moderate users it's ideal. Tuning holds well even on compound bends, but you can still pull off all the major whammy tricks without any drama. If you use it a lot, removing the tremsetter will give you a fully floating bridge, but for a lot people this isn't worth the extra hassle. It's a great step up for people used to Vintage style non-locking trems, too. The S470, like most Ibanezes, plays best with a medium-low action and for the average player is highly playable, perhaps even inspiring. The rosewood board is a little on the dry side, but it's a nice player. The jumbo frets and flat radius make it good for technical styles, but it's capable of a lot more besides. All in all, quite a lot of guitar for under 500. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Built solidly. The only causes for concern are the tuning heads and the mechanism which holds the tremolo arm, which in my case sheared off completely and needed replacement. This seems to be a rare problem though and in general it's a dependable, giggable guitar. // 7

Overall Impression: The S470 is a great piece of design, and is one of the most versatile guitars around. With better pickups and a good setup it'll excel at any style you choose to play, and is buoild well enough to be a five-nights-a-week workhorse. At around 400/$800 there's a massive bang/buck ratio, but be prepared to put in some work to unlock the full potential of this guitar! // 7

S470DX Reviewed by: guitarguru134, on january 18, 2008

Features: This Guitar Made was made in India in 2007. It is a new selection of guitars by Ibanez featuring a surpisingly thin body with a surpising amount of tone. It has a normal 24.75in scale neck and 22 frets. It has a locking nut perfect for divebombs! The neck is made of a 5-piece maple/bubinga Wizard II neck, and a bound rosewood fingerboard. The Headstock is very similar to the Ibanez RG giving it that classic RG look. There are currently two popular Finish styles available, blue moon quilt and a fire red quilt. The Body of the guitar is very..very thin and it's a very light guitar too. The Bridge Is a ZR tremolo, very similar to the edge III on the RG. The tremolo system uses a Zero-Point which means it floats on two ball bearings making the trem bar a lot easier to use than a Floyd. The pickups are IBZ Infinity pickups which are very nice! With a vol-tone-3 way pickup toggle control. // 9

Sound: I play a very open style of music, mostly metal, blues, and rock. Van Halen is mostly what I use this guy for. I am currently saving up to buy either a Marshall or Line 6 cab and head but I have played this guitar on the Marshall. Since I was at the music store I'll just tell you about how I use it on my amp. My amp is a Fender 300 Champion, 1X12 speaker config. It sounds great with the built in effects(reverb, flange, chorus). I usually ser my gain to about a 4, treble 8 mid-range, 8 and bass 7. I The only source of distortion is a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. Even though I only have the cheap pedal the pickups on this thing give a massive scorching tone. The single coiled pickup aint that great and the neck could use a little work when playing low ends. But none the less it does give the buyer quite a variety choice. But I personally thought the pickups were quite mediocre compared to seymour duncans, and EMG. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar straight from the store and even then the finish showed no visible dings or scratches. Nothing on this guitar was wrong when I got it. Action isnt really any trouble at all, but the low E likes to get a little higher above the frets. BE very careful if you decide to buy a used case. Whatever the guy before put in this case some kind of oil or something took off pewter chrome finish on my knobs. But I don't think this is the guitars fault. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very solidly built and is very dependable. It is near impossible to go out of tune even in my freezing cold/desert hot room. It truly can take a beating I have droped it a lot so I recommend a strap-lock. The top strap button tends to just let go of the strap so I would be careful with this at a gig. The finish hasn't really worn off or anything from consecutive play hours with me so I think it should be good. // 9

Overall Impression: I chose this guitar specifically because I wanted a locking nut and thick tone, this guitar definately satisfied my needs. It definately matches a heavier type of music syles. This is a very impressing guitar, a lot better than my Squier. Do not under any circumstantce: buy the sevice agreemeant! It is a rip off! All you get is 3 tuneups which are unnecessary because it is a lot easier to re-string than a Floyd Rose. I love everything about this guitar (not to be vague) I really like the neck because you can paly fast solos and chords without any difficulty reaching the right note. I compared this the The RG series and basically took a crap on them. This guitar blows away any Floyd Rose locking nut guitar. No Joke. I wish it had room for a D-Tuna on the bridge though. Oh well. // 9

S470DX Reviewed by: Castiel, on march 04, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: 2006 Made in Korea. 22 Jump Frets. 3 piece maple Wizard II neck with rosewood fretboard and jumbo frets. Mahagony Body with Quilted Maple Top Blue Burst Double Cutaway/Super Strat style. ZR Ball bearing tremolo with backstop feature. Infinity Stock Pickups with a 5way selector HsH Setup. Good tuners, but since it's a floyd it has it's own locking nut. My only gripe is I wish the quilted maple was a deeper stain, but that changes from guitar to guitar. // 8

Sound: Body wood makes it wonderfull for all genres, but moreso for hard rock \ metal. Tons of tone and sustain despite the thinner body. Change pickups for a better sound. Running it through my Peavey Vypyr Tube, Fender Superchamp, Roland Microcube. Pickups themselves are fairly noiseless, but not the best sounding. Pinch harmonics are difficult on the stock pickups. Bridge is fairly bright, but the neck pickup has some nice richness to it. I find palm muting to be much easier on this compared to a OFR or Edge III trem. As stated pinch harmonics aren't the easiest on these pickups, will update on this when I change the bridge out soon. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was spot on when I got it, pickup height was perfect, no changes in volume when switching between them. The Quilted maple is definitely bookmatched, not the best out there but it looks fantastic. Bridge is routed cleanly, no rubbing or misalignment. Finish has a slight flaw on the back, but only in the clearcoat. This guitar was on sale because of that flaw. Electronics are solid, pots are smooth and not scratchy at all. Pickup selector is solid as well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The clearcoat might not, mine has fine scratches all over the back from my shirts. Clearcoat is solid enough not to rub off but it does get scratched. Make sure to wax. Hardware is cheaper softer metal but since you're not using knife edges on the tremolo it wont wear out the same. The black chromed look is rubbing off on the bridge where I palm mute. Strap buttons were solid but I replaced with DiMarzio clip locks. I would gig with it without a backup. Pickups need changing though. // 5

Overall Impression: I personally play more metal-eque music. This guitar fit's that perfectly. Been playing for a little over a year. I wish I would have known that the black chrome finish wears off quickly. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy another S series. Maybe an older one. I love the finish, the thin body, the thin neck. It's so comfortable to hold and play. I hate the cheap metal hardware. If I were to chose between this and another guitar around the same price range I would be more apt to choose the other guitar. You can find some guitars out there with EMG's, better hardware and comparable quilted maple finishes(Schecter) Wish it came Standard with EMG's or Blackouts, or the routing for that. // 7

S470DX Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2005

Purchased from: Stars Music

Features: This is an amazing guitar. It was made in Korea. It's got 22 jumbo frets whuch make soloing really easy. The neck is kind of flat and just the way I like it. I can't tell you how much I love this neck. It's so smooth and fast. The body is made of mahogany. It has a ZR tremelo much similar to a Floyd Rose except a step up. I just installed seymour duncan dimebuckers and it sounds amazing. The stock pickups weren't bad, I just wanted a different tone. It has one volume and one tone nob. It has a double locking tremelo system. // 10

Sound: I play rock, metal, some blues, and some classical guitar. This guitar suits all of that perfectly. Especially for metal such as Metallica. I run it through a solid-state Crate GLX 65. I don't have any pedals or effects other than the ones on my amp. It can be noisy if the gain turned to high, but so can any guitar. It gives off a great sound and has great sustain. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came set up really well. The action wasn't bad, it was really easy to play. But I like a really low action so I lowered it a little more which was really easy. You just have to turn to bolts on the guitar. All of the hardware on the guitar is really high quality for a factory guitar. I love how thin it is, and how light it is. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a really great guitar. I have played it live a couple of times. I play with another guitar so that I don't have to change tunings on stage, becuse it can take a little while with this guitar. I expect this gutiat to last the rest of my life. The strap buttons are solid. I would gig it without a backup but I do have another guitar live so I don't have to change tunings on stage. This guitar will definetly last. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar for rock or metal. It also suits some of my blues stuff fine. I would definitly replace this guitar if it were lost or stolen. I love the neck, its perfect for me. The only problem I have is that it takes a while to tune sometimes, but once you get it in tune it stays there forever. I have no complaints about this guitar and recommend Ibanez guitars to everyone. // 10

S470DX Reviewed by: JSvdK, on june 22, 2006

Purchased from: Peter Johanzen Muziek

Sound: My music style varies from Slowrock tot Hardrock and classical pieces to funk. S470 covers most of them, however, it is clear that it was made for the louder segment of music. The pickups respond extraordinary well to modulated distorted sound. It gives the bite needed for soloing and power chord play. The single coil pickup sounds a little fragile, but with some artificial modification (like a effect-bank) it sounds just as full as the better and warmer Seymour Duncan pickups. I play through the Zoom 7.1ut to a Peavey Bandit 100. But even without effects you can really feel the power that lies in this masterpiece. The bridge pick-up can be a little noise now and then, but so far it hasn't been really annoying. It's able to respond well adjusted to practically any type of music. I use the combination of single coil and neck humbucker while playing the more funkier sounds, while the bridge humbucker suits the more heavy stuff, like Satch for instance. Late in the evening I usually turn to bluesy or jazzy styles, combined with my multi-effect it can really create tear-jerking blues sounds. The possibility of creating these sounds really endanger my sleep, but I'm just excited that I've made such a good choice. I owned a low-budget Ibanez GRX40BK, and eventually that was a tear-jerker as well, however in a complete different way. So this is my first mid-class guitar. I suppose the real pro's consider this instrument as a mere low-class guitar, but it suits me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Before I went to get my guitar, my dealer was kind to set-up the guitar. So that everything was perfectly set. I do not know how Ibanez usually presents their factory-made guitars. But as far as the looks are concerned: it is really sweet. I chose the Chaircoal Brown variant, and I absolutely do not regret it. In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen (I prefer the JEM-types, but these are way above my budget). So far I haven't been able to detect any flaws. So I guess there are none. Everything seems perfectly fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far I haven't dropped it yet, but it 'feels' real durable. I think the level of durability and reliability is to be determined after some years of playing. I cannot say anything constructive about these topics. The only thing that is obvious is that it was much more solid and dependable then my first Ibanez, but I guess that isn't truely and indication. The ZR-tremolo, by the way, is a real improvement. I virtually can drop my guitar holding on to my trem and don't hear a change in intonation. It is extremely advanced. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitars for about 5 years now. Maybe I'm not developing my skills so fast but that will be due to my interest and investments in practically every band-instrument. I play drums, bass guitar and piano/keyboards as well. For my skills (for example: I'm able to play satriani's solos, but that is the summit for now) it suits well. I think it was a well made choice and I do not regret it. Perhaps in a few years I'll be yearning for something better, but as far as I can see now, I would buy it again if it were stolen. // 9

S470DX Reviewed by: danielrobbyshor, on february 10, 2007

Purchased from: regent guitars

Sound: I play classic rock to heavy metal, and this guitar is near perfect for both, this guitar was absolutely made for drop D tuning. I put mine through a Dunlop crybaby, straight into a Marshall MG100DFX, will sometimes use the delay or chorus FX which are on board the amp. Oh and the reverb. There seems to be almost no hissing or buzzing from the guitar at all, except when using the single coil pickup. But that is to be expected really. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I have adjusted the action and height of pickups etc a lot and I think I have the perfect setup for it now. But as with any new guitar you should take your time and find the right set up for you as an individual. And the guitar is definetely the most comfortable shape I have ever played aswell, nothing is poking you in the ribs or hurting your thighs (when sitting down). // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's good for Live playing but always always have a backup, no matter what guitar you play. I have had one problem with the reliability of this guitar and that's the metal at the locking nut, it seems very weak and I now need a new part for it. Because the bolt has cross threaded and will not lock properly on the two lowest strings. The finish is beautiful and doesn't seem to show any signs of diminishing at all any time soon. // 6

Overall Impression: If I lost this guitar or it was stolen I would definetely buy another one, but I would get the prestige one instead. The Standard models are great guitars but I can't shake the feeling that Ibanez cut a lot of corners on mateirials when building it. // 8

S470DX Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 13, 2007

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: This guitar is a light-weight mahogany guitar with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. The fretboard has 22 jumbo frets which show little signs of wear after around 3 years of play. The thin body makes it very confortable to play, and the H/S/H setup s good for a variety of applications. Didn't inclue any accessories except for a throw away 6ft guitar cable. The ZR trem works very well with the micro adjusters on the bridge. It's especially easy to tune to drop D becuase the trem lets the low E move up a lot further than the others, enough to put it in drop D and back. Though I have had some problems with the trem, details later. // 8

Sound: Works great for my style of music which is from classic rock into the heavier stuff. If you back off the volume and swich to the single coil, you can get some great clean sounds. I run it through a Line 6 spider II, which has awesome clean sounds to begin with. The single coil always puts out some noise, but it's not that much unless you are in a room filled with electronics. If I play in my computer room, at full volume I will get quite a bit of hum from the single coil by itself. None of the other combinations really make much sound. Tone knob doesn't really do a whole lot, the volume is what creates the dynamic sound. Between half and full volume is where most of your tone variety is coming from. When the single coil is maxed out it can cut through anything of equal volume in a band. Bridge humbucker, not so much. Neck bucker I really don't use much unless I really wanna blend with the band, it takes either tons or almost none of the tone away from the signal, it's hard to find a really good balance on it unless you really play with the volume. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory setup was pretty well done, I didn't change anything for a while after I got it. After maybe 2 years I lowered the action a smidgen, I have a little bit of buzz on the frets now but I deal with it because I need lower action for the new locking nut, once again, details later. I haven't touched the pickups becuase I really don't know what I'm doing when adjusting them. although I did take them out completely when I wired the guitar up with some green glow that came out of the pickups when I flicked a Switch I put in on the trem. Was pretty cool, but thw Switch got annoying so I took it out. Finish is really nice from a distance, up close it looks like poopy in my opinion, but like 10 feet away it's awesome. After about a year, the finish on most of the bolts has off. probably from my hand's sweat. I seem to have an issue with buzzing in the trem somewhere when I don't play through an amp, which I have never been able to pinpoint and eliminate, but when you play through an amp it's not even noticable. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I will now tell you everything that has gone wrong with this guitar in the 3 years that I have owned it: the first thing that went wrong was that I noticed a dead spot in the volume potentiometer. This means that you turn it to a point and then all of a sudden the sound completely silences until you move the knob to a different position. I dealt with this for like 2 of the years and only recenly have replaced the potentiometer. It was a trickey operation because some of the lead wires were too short, and there were a whole bunch of ground wires which all had to go on the back of the pot. And by "go on" I mean I had to re-solder them all on the new pot. The second thing was the buzzing somewhere in the trem which I have still not fixed. The third thing was that I stripped out one of the threads in the locking nut. And it was the actual nut that needed to be replaced, not just the screw. and up until like a few months ago I couldn't find any replacement parts for Ibanez. So I was basically out of luck, until magically this site decided to appear where you can buy like every part that Ibanez makes in any color from. so I bought the nut which ended up costing like $40 for the cosmo-black one. This new nut made the action a significant amount higher than before, which is what caused me to adjust the action on the strings to my liking. Lastly, just a minor thing, the strap has caused wear on the finish and has worn the paint off so that I can see the beautiful mahogany on the edge where the strap hits. I have played a few gigs with it tho, and it has never let me down. // 5

Overall Impression: I love playing the guitar, in spite of it's flaws I love picking it up. It's very versatil for anything that I want to play. I probably would not but it again, I would rather go with something that has a S/S/H setup, but I love the fact that I can do anything I want to the trem and it always stays in tune. // 7

S470DX Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 12, 2007

Purchased from: Philippines

Features: It was made in Korea (the actual model name is 470DXQM). It's 22 frets and has quilited maple top. It's a mahogany body. When I saw it in the shop it looked liked it stayed there more than a half a year. It had a little rust on the fret and the hardware. There weren't any scratches on the body itself. It only came up with a 6 ft. cable. They should have given the gig bag as well. // 7

Sound: This is a first proper electric guitar I ever had. It sounds as good as my friend's Les Paul. Though not as rich sounding as the les paul. I'm currently using the crappy amplifier that came up with my crap guitar. However, comparing with my guitar before and this, this guitar gives a stronger overdrive or distortion. Even in the clean channel, the sounds tends to be distorted on the neck and bridge pickup. The single pick up in the middle produces great clean tone. The guitar just sounds good to me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It has quilted maple top with transparent red finish. It's only my opinion that I notice Ibanez guitars under 1 grand doesn't really have good finishes. I had a smear of paint on my finger when I was checking out the ZR tremolo system. The volume knob has problem that at one point the guitar just becomes silent. I haven't really figured out a lot about this guitar but I just wish the guitar would have better finish. The finish isn't that good compare with the price I paid. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Its neck is thicker than RG series but I'm still afraid it can break easily. It gets scratches easily. I have no choice but to use this guitar without a backup. But then again it sounds really good on stage. I can use it on a gig without a backup I guess. // 7

Overall Impression: Pickup is the cheapest one because as far as I know this one goes on the basic guitars. Other RG series at this price range will have INF3 or 4. Pickup is just okay but I'm thinking of replacing them. I would go for the same one when it happens to get stolen. ZR tremolo is just great. It's a ball bearing tremolo system after all. Though I hate the volume knob. Anyway, they went out of stock with the RGs that I was trying to buy (it was out of stock in the whole philippines the manager said). But the more I play, the more I love this guitar. It's a good guitar that could hopefully fit into any genre (some people say it's not good on blues but I play blues and this guitar sounds good on blues in my opinion). Though if you expect something more with 600 bucks, go for something else. // 8

S470DX Reviewed by: JadeFalcon5, on april 03, 2007

Features: I bought a late 2006 model S470DXQM. 22 frets, 3 pickups (2 humbuckers 1 single coil.) I'm pretty sure it's made out of basswood. It has a flamed top with a very thick and shiny finish. It uses an Ibanez Zero Resistance tremelo. which is basically all the features of a floyd rose. The main difference is that the tension and resistance is distributed individually to each of the strings, so tuning and adjusting is a breeze compared to a floyd rose. There is a volume and tone knob and an extremely durable 5 way pickup selector Switch. It came with a couple of different sized alan wrenches and a tremelo bar. The body is extremely thin and different compared to my les paul. // 9

Sound: The Ibanez S470DX can be used to suit any playing style, I personally drop mine to C and play metal. But on some days I go back to Standard and dial in a tone and it cranks out clear cleans. I don't get a lot of unnecessary feedback when playing, but when I want some I can get it. Almost any tone you can think of can be made on just the guitar itself. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Right from the factory the action was perfect, I didn't have to make any adjustments then, and I haven't since. The pickups were at a decent position and all I did was raise the neck pickup for a deeper rhythm sound. The guitar is aesthetically flawless. Finish is beautiful and it fits. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Even though the guitar is so thin, it still feels durable. The finish is thick and scratches do not appear on it. I could easily thrash onstage without a backup or worry about the strap buttons falling off. It just feels so sturdy. Very reliable, and very durable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from metal to jazz and the s470dxqm is so versatile it matches whatever I feel like playing. I've been playing for around 3 and a half years now and I've also owned an Epiphone les paul and a Squier Strat, and my Ibanez is by far my favorite. If it was stolen I would definitely buy it again (when I had the money that is.) I love everything about this guitar. My favorite feature is probably the ZR trem. It moves like a floyd and produces the same sounds without all of the hassle. // 10

S470DX Reviewed by: Bonceyrogs, on august 06, 2007

Features: Before I start this review, I would like to add, I am reviewing an Ibanez S470DXQM, although there wasn't a choice to review that, so I will place my review on here instead. I bought this guitar second hand around 3 months ago, due to them being discontinued. I think Herman Li plays the same guitar, although mine has a different style of Fretboard. // 10

Sound: This guitar can make just about every sound anyone would want from it. I use it with a Marshall MG100DX for gigs and a Kustom 25w amp for home. Kustom amps are practically unknown, but it makes a fantastic sound on both clean and distorted. I play bits of many styles of music with my band, from jazz to progressive metal, and this guitar finds a way to suit them all. The stock single coil pickup makes a fantastic acoustic sound, and also is great for clean solos (listen to the guitar solo in Dream Theater's Solitary Shell). I cannot fault this guitar on sound, it is everything I would want, like, ever. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Due to me buying this guitar second Hand, I have no idea what this guitar would be set up like straight from the factory. The shop I bought it from (Fat Cats Music Shop, Mansfield) was owned by a man Who set the action and everything on it before selling it to me, for free. Everything on the guitar was perfect, apart from some of the gun metal paint was scratched off of the pickup ring thing, but that was just because the previous owner had played the guitar lots. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, will most definitely withstand Live playing. I have gigged this guitar about 10 times now, and I still cannot find a problem with it anywhere. I had a slight bit of trouble fixing the strings the first time I broke one, but that was purely because this is my first guitar with a ZR tremelo. In fact, the only other guitars I have ever restrung have been strastocaster style guitars. But when I actually knew what I was doing, it was simple enough. The hardware seems very sturdy, and not likely to break any time soon. As I have already said, the paint scratched off of the pickup ring slightly, but that didn't bother be too much. I have never before, and never will (unless a ridiculous amount of money finds it's way into my hands, in which case I will, just because I can) gig this guitar with a backup. There isn't much of a need at all. The only problem I can see is if a string breaks on stange, it may take a while to re-string. The finish seems like it will last forever, mine is still spotless, after being gigged numerous times. The scratchplate on the back is handy. That always seems to be where my belt buckle rests when I stand up and play, so that protects the body from scratches. // 8

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal/progressive metal, especially Dream Theater, Who my band do numerous covers of. I've been playing about a year and a half now. I own a Marshall Pre-amp, a Boss PS-3, A Zoom effects pedal thing (I forget which type it is. The 505 I think), and a Champion wah pedal. The only thing I wish I had when I bought this guitar was a hardcase. I love this guitar so much, I couldnt stand it getting damaged at all. I'm making do with a Ritter backpack case thing at the moment though. If this guitar was stolen or lost, and I had the money to buy it again, I definitely would. However, I am not the richest of people, so I would end up buying a cheap crap guitar until I could afford something better. When shopping for a new guitar, I also tried the Steve Vai signature model (the one that costs about 1000). This S type, felt to me, by far a superiour guitar. I would much rather spend 350 on this and buy a decent amp, than spend 1000 on one of those, just because Steve Vai plays them. Overall Excellent Guitar. By far the best guitar I have ever played (and I have played a fair few). If you see one (won't be Brand New, because these are no longer made), buy it. // 10

S470DX Reviewed by: blair30, on august 18, 2007

Features: S470DXQM 2007 model made in Korea. It has 22 jumbo frets and red burst quilted maple finish, mahogany body and Wizard II neck with rosewood fretboard. It uses the ZR Tremelo system, a five way pickup Switch, volume knob and tone knob. INF1 humbucker in the neck, INFS1 single in the middle, and a INF2 humbucker in the bridge position, though I will soon replace these pickups with Dimarzios. Currently I keep the S safe in the Ibanez M100C guitar case designed for guitars such as the S series. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal which suits this guitar very well. I play this through various distortion and overdrive pedals, into a Marshall MG30DFX. The amplifier lets down my sound a bit, however it is soon to be replaced. Although I haven't a lot of experiance, I would say this guitar has a very versatile sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very well set up when I bought it. I had to tune it however, and lower the adjust slightly, but the ZR was set up perfectly. Book matching for the quilted maple top was very good. The finish is very beauful and I find myself getting lost in the texture. The body is flawless apart from minute wood imperfections around the pickups, only noticeable from up close however. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have owned this guitar for one day and one band practice and it coped extremely well. I have replaced the strap buttons with Schaller strap locks and the strings with D'addarios. I always use a back up guitar when gigging, but I beleive I would rarely need one when using the S. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for almost 2 years and this is buy far the best guitar I have ever played. I also own an RG, but I find S much more comfortable to play. Although it has only 22 frets, this is not a problem for me as I hardly ever go that high up the fret board. The only thing I regret not buying, is polish and cleaner as the finish is so beautiful I can't bear the thought of letting it get dirty. I love the small sleak design of the S, the quilted maple finish and the ZR tremelo. If it were stolen, I would definately use the insurance money to buy it again. // 10

S470DX Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 08, 2007

Purchased from: 2nd hand

Features: The specs are probably quite known by now so I wont be telling it all again. It has the new Ibanez tremolo system that does actually work nicely without getting out of tune. I have the original case with it and it makes a nice, verstatile little kit. // 8

Sound: I usualy play sympho rock with my band (Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, riverside etc). My Les Paul really wasn't up to that task since it sounded to massive. With me not being a Ibanez lover due to the crappy finish and the use of really young woodtypes on a lot of the early models they produced, I was really sceptical trying out some of them. After playing an S470 dxqm I was flabbergasted by the products Ibanez make these days. The guitar can be used for a variety of sounds that I need for my music style, acoustic it doesnt't have the warm sound the L.P has but it certainly kicks ass with any kind of distorsion or chorus on it. From a warm crunchy sound to almost Metal like distorsion with allot of feedback it really sings like the far more expensife JS1000 model. (not to be confused with the really, really shitty JS100, Joe Satriani rip off model). I play the guitar over a digidelay pedal to a Trace Elliot supertramp stereo combo (yes they made guitar amps too back in the day) With the superb built in chorus, distorsion, and springreverb I can mimic the sounds from Metallica to Pink Floyd. I doesn't really reach the actual drop D sanding machine sound of death metal but it goeds a long way and is probably the most versatile guitar I have ever played (in 12 years). The finish is exellent and it looks the part. The thin body makes it easyer to tap solo's and because of the weight it doesn't strain the neck to much. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As for most Ibanez the factory set up is "playable", Anyone Who buy's an Ibanez schould take it to the guitar shop immediately to have it set up properly. (That's when you realize how good the guitar can actually be). I't really is too bad because Ibanez anti-markets her guitars this way. The finish is superb though, the body is beautifully painted, hardware nice and tight, no problems there. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is an indestructable guitar. I play it in the rehearsal studio for 4 hours on end and never had even the slightest malfunction. I would use this guitar for gigs without backup and think it might be possible to play a tennis match with it and it still would be in tune. I have dropped it once becouse of a worn guitarstrap, it hit the wooden floor real hard. a tiny chip of paint came off the body but the guitar was still straight and in tune. // 10

Overall Impression: Mu favorite thing about this axe is the tremolo system. You can do bombdives and psychedelic solos, click the channel Switch and go on playing an abstract bunch of light chords as if you changed guitars in the middle. Playing sympho rock this actually is the only guitar in it's class that can do this so I'm very happy with it. I have compared about 30 guitars before buying this one, it outplayed them all. If it were stolen I'd hunt down the guy Who did it and cut his balls off, if because of somekind of devine intervention I wouldn't succeed I'd get the exact same guitar. // 10

S470DX Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 06, 2007

Purchased from: Sound Control, Leicester

Sound: I play in a Rock/Metal/Punk band, so it suits our sound superbly, because the other guitarist in our band has a very different sound because he owns a PRS, so the way our tone differs from eachother together is perfect, because I scoop the mids Thrash-Death style (e.g. Arch Enemy) and he puts a hell of a lot of reverb more resemblant of something more classic rock (typical of Jimmy Page). I use a Fender Blackface style and a Line 6 model which makes it so shred metal it is genuinely untrue. I don't use many effects, so my S470 goes untouched by them. The quilted maple brightens up the soudn a bit to perfect my tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was handed to me in a cardboard box, which surprisingly left the finish intact. String-buzz was a major problem with my guitar though, but that is probably just bad luck, but I did have to have my neck modified to avoid it. And now it sounds just like Michael Ammot, Matt Heafy or someone metal like that, it didn't before, trust me! // 6

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged it yet, so that side of the story still awaits me, but I have practised with it. The strap buttons are incredibly solid. I wouldn't take a backup to a gig. It's too good for that. The hardware is already wearing away, which really sucks, frankly. Even the "innovative" (Ibanez quotation) ZR tremolo has a finish that could be worn away by a small childs undeveloped Saliva enzymes. The quilted maple top, however, looks set for life. // 7

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play rock, metal and punk, and am prone to drop D tuning. It is perfect for this. You can name someone in each of them genres Who have used Ibanez and been successful! Rock, Paul Gilbert (solo), metal, Mick Thomson (Slipknot) and punk, "Noodles" (The Offspring). I am twelve years old, and have been playing since I was six. I Live for and love music. It is my life, and despite my age I can shred, and I know my stuff about guitar. This is pretty much the best piece of gear I own. I wish I'd had asked about the complexities and mind-boggling skill involved for the horrifying thing that is Ibanez intonation. It is simply put, rubbish. I still don't get it! If it were stolen or lost I would probably not buy it again. I think I'd probably save up for a Dean. But the grass is always greener on the other side, as they say. I love the capability of the ZR tremolo. You could divebomb that bad-boy from the top of everest to the bottom of the ocean and the tuning would still be perfect. I hate the hardware. It looks like someone has left it under acid-rain and then blowtorched for half an hour. And that's when you look after it well. I compared it to many other guitars, most of which consist of schecters. I tried out the Schecter Omen Floyd Rose, which is much cheaper and really nice- but not quite as nice. This one had a warming charm, aswell as the capability of making you think you are Steve Vai. I wish it had a DiMarzio at the bridge, but they're really expensive, but I am happy with the current tone of my INF's (Just a shame about the pick axed appearence of the pickup cavities). This is one of many thousands of guitars in the Ibanez range- this one just happens to be one of the best! // 8

S470DX Reviewed by: terya, on july 02, 2008

Purchased from: Robbie's Music City

Features: Gig Bag and I bought a strap and strap-locks right away with it. 22 frets. Quilted maple(beautiful) top. Thinline body. Zero resistence trem. Passive pickups (hsh). volume one tone knob 5 way toggle Switch. the hardware color was a good choice too. locking nut but the tuners look pretty sturdy with out it // 8

Sound: The guitar's pickups aren't the best in the world, bu they cover the tonal ranges I enjoy to play with. I play through a line6 spider 2 112 and it sounds great, I would like to get new pickups and and amp though. It isnt very noisy if it was I wouldn't have bought it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was absolutely horrible from the factory, you don't get a feel for the trem like you do once it is setup. The finish is beautiful, I have the blue moon burst and it amazes me as well as the tonal qualities of the wood. The action was great. No flaws. Pickups were matched level-wise. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would and have played this guitar without backup it is great. The Slim body is really comfortable on stage too, but be careful it has the wizard 2 neck some players get cramped from such a thin neck. I put strap locks on right away, but the strap buttons were pretty sturdy before. The finish is awesome it doesn't show any scratches or pick-wear. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from Pink Floyd to Joe Satriani to Al Di Meola and it can withstand most of that, but once again, the pickups aren't the greatest. I have been playing for four years. I would definetely try to get this guitar back if lost/stolen. I love the locking trem/nut; stays in tune forever I compare it to the JS100 which has better pickups but same kinda feel. // 10

S470DX Reviewed by: manoftheband, on february 02, 2009

Purchased from: Robbies music city

Features: s470dxqm year: 2006 korean. quilted maple top (beautiful). Blue moon burst color. jumbo frets. wizard 2 neck. ZR tremolo system. rosewood fingerboard. Ibanez infs pickups hsh. 5 way selector. mahogany body. no gig bag the guy gave me one. came with a cable and I bought a strap. // 10

Sound: not very noisy at all which is half the reason why I bought it, I can't stand noise. I play blues to progressive rock and it handles it pretty well, I swapped those pickups for SD pearly gates and custom custom on the bridge. the maple top is fairly bright but it's a rosewwod fretboard so... I play through a line6 spider 2 112 and it's fine. it's sounds great through marshalls though. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup at any factory is horrible but this was ok besides the trem not being setup to be used. pickups were where they needed to be. intonation was ok a little off but that's what you get them setup for once you throw strings that you like on. neck is perfect. it sat somewhere for two years before I bought it son the harware around the pickups was oxidized but not rusted. this top is better than any I've seen of the same guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played it Live more than once it holds up great. I put strap locks on it right away but the orginals werent bad either. I've used it without and wiht backup and have never needed it(knock on wood). the finsh is very nice and doesnt't show scratches. I love this guitar, bu tibanez uses crap metals to do everything, I've seen Ibanez guitars from the eighties and 60s with crappy corroded hardware and I'm sure it'll prolly be the same story for this guitar in 20 yrs. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything and this can handle it all. it doesnt't sound like a Strat so your no where near that srv sound with it but it can do everything else jazz, punk, metal, progressive, anything. I've been playing for 5 years. I would definetely by this guitar again. in fact I might and get DiMarzio pickups in it just to see the different sounds I can get. I wish it had a pop in trem arm though like the Floyd Rose but hey, it's not a bad player. // 10

S470DX Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 23, 2010

Price paid: A$ 799

Purchased from: turrumurra music

Features: You know the deal, thin S body, spaltedmaple semi transparent finish. Mine's blue and look s fantastic. I've had it for about 4 months now and I'll confess now that I'm a great fan of Ibanez guitars siince buying my first law suit Les Paul back in the 1970's. Came with 2 free packs of silica gel and a handy cardboard box. // 9

Sound: I play in an Eagles tributee band (yeah I know it's a bit daggy) so I need something that gives me a good range of twangy Strat sounds and can also get a bit angry for some of their rockier stuff. Not much bombing reuired though. I use a SAS36 for the more country stuff but this guitar can do all the sounds I need. I play through a Boss ME70 and a Peavey Bandit and the guitar is versatile and sounds as good as it looks // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up from the box was perfect. My son uses it for a bit of shredding and its a truly beautiful neck to play. The finish was faultless. The tone know is bit too loose but a spot of glue will fix. Pickups seem fine. I'm not very technical but with my ME70 I can dial up any sound I want. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I use it live for our second set with no problems. Like I said we are an eagles tribute so I'm not jumping offthe stacks so strap buttons are fine. I always havea back up. The ZR tremelo is so much easier for string changes. My son has a Xiphos and tuning after string changes is a pain in the ass no matter how you do it. With the ZR I can take all strings off and give it a good clean and its just as easy to tune back up as a fixed bridge. // 10

Overall Impression: At the risk of repeating myself, I bought this cause it gave me a good range of sounds from country twang to metal. I wouldn't buy aguitar with any other tremelo now. The ZR is just too easy to live with. I would buy another one, in fact I'm working on my wife to convince her I should buy a S670 (same guitar different finish) for my son for his birthday. // 9

S470DX Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 23, 2010

Price paid: A$ 769

Features: All the stuff neccesary for a great guitar. Especially happy with the zr trem. In 2 years I've never strapped a string with even the hardestwammying. // 10

Sound: I purchased my s470dxqm about a 2 years ago and was quite satisfied with the stock pickups and the overall sound. It had slightly muddy lows but sang great up high and the mids were phenomenal on the single for the classic blues stuff I play.(been playin for bout 7 years.) I recently modded it with mo joe and paf joe pups and I couldnt be happier. The overtones are clear and the sustain is outstanding. The notes don't clash on the chords and all mud has been removed replaced by tight lows and neverbreaking highs. I was slightly nervous because these pups are made for neutral wood, but the mahogany and maple just balance out great, thanks to thin body. If you are going to mod its definitely worth exploring these dimarzios. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Bridge makes for easy adjustment to suit your exact style of set up. The notes stay very intune throught the fret board.a bit of fret buzz, but with alittle bit of fiddling with the action and shims I got all buzz out. No other flaws I can think of, very well crafed. // 10

Reliability & Durability: My guitar recently fell off the stand and the headstock cracked, (I'm not sad, it adds some personality to the guitar after I got it repaired) I've checked out the wiring (had to replace my pups) and it is very well made inside. // 8

Overall Impression: Awesome guitar, great for pretty much all styles, obviously doesn't have the twang of a Fender or chunk of a gibson, but is pretty amazing even those realms of playing. I'd definitly buy it again and replace the pups all the same. Definitely try and go for Ibanez overall, they truly do have incrdible guitars. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014