S670PB Review

8.6
 7.9
reviews (4) pictures (1) 21 comments vote for this gear:
S670PB Reviewed by: jaredr0, on march 24, 2009

Features: -Not sure what year. Made in Indonesia -22 Jumbo Frets, Wizard II maple neck -Solid Mahogany with Poplar Burl top -Timber finish -Strat type shape -Ibanez ZR trem -Infinity 1 Neck pu, Infinity Single middle pu, Infinity 2 bridge pu -1 volume 1 tone 5 way selector Switch -no case, had to buy seperately Very nice features - the neck is very fast and the zr trem is possibly the coolest feature. Not to mention the wood finish looks and feels great. // 9

Sound: I play loads of different styles from classic rock to progressive metal to folk/accoustic and this guitar plays all styles easily. I'm currently using it with a crappy 10 watt amp (which I shall soon replace with a marshalkl or an Orange) and despite the amp being 2 years old and on it's dying legs it still comes out sounding insane. I get some noise when on the neck pu and when playing clean on the bridge pu. But that isn't the fault of the guitar, sa I said - the amp sucks. The bridge pu has a really bright sounds which is insane for shred when the distortion is turned up. The middle pu sounds kinda like a strats single coils and I mostly use it for classic rock (it does it's job well. The neck pu really gives an amazing, fat sounds when I use a clean setting on my effects pedal (Zoom G1X) which is perfect for blues and classical type songs. As I've mentioned the number of sounds this guitar can make with just a crappy amp and a pedal is amazing - I don't think I'll need another guitar for a while. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory the guitar was setup fairly nicely. I haven't had it for long so I haven't found any flaws, my only complaint is the action was a little off so I got some fret buzz. But this was easily fixed and now it's fine. The pickups were also great right out of the store. Except for the single coil which was a little high for my liking as my picking style meant it was getting in the way a bit so I had to lower it a bit. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with this guitar but I would play it without a backup, mostly cause my backup wud be my lame bc rich SOB but also cause the strap buttons seem very solid and the harware all seems like it'll last. The finish is sorta non existent. It's just the poplar timber and it seems like it's not gonna wear down. My only concern is the size of the strap buttons which are a little small but that's no biggy since I'm not gonne be spinning it round my neck or anything. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for all styles that I'd be likely to play. In the past I've also owned a bc rich sob which was kinda lame and this pwns any other guitar I've played - even some les pauls and strats. If it were stolen I'd hunt down those responsible, kill them and either take it back off them or buy another one. // 10

S670PB Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 20, 2009

Features: The ZR Tremolo with the ZP (zero point) back stop is very clever in design and is so simple to use and tune. With the ZP in the guitar will go up and down in pitch, there is just more tension with the extra springs in going down. I can tune E to D without touching anything but the fine tuner for E and I'm in drop D awesome (ZP in). Going to a fully floating tremolo takes about two minutes (and most of that it removing the cover), just pull the ZP out and to get back in tune adjust the spring tension in the back serious! It's that easy. For a new guitar it stays very close to in tune, so it can only get better. // 10

Sound: I play blues, rock and metal using a Zoom multi effects, Vox wah and a Crate 15watt solid state practice amp. This guitar does rock and metal very well and I can get good clean and overdriven blues tones quite well (the amp being the limiting factor). The bridge pickup is great at driving high gain sounds from classic Van Hale to Metallica and has a warm gritty quality to it. The middle single coil is useful for classic Stratocaster type sounds (but get a Strat if that's the sound you're after) and was a bit of a bonus as I would have purchased it with just humbuckers. The neck pickup is the most versatile of the three. It can express anything from nice clean jazz/blues 7th and 9th chords beautifully to higher gain rhythm and blues leads. I find this is the most versatile of the pickup for practice. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was ok for trying it in the shop (quite playable). But the minute it got home it was stripped, cleaned and set up from scratch. I checked all of the nuts and bolts to make sure they were tight. The tuning posts needed a bit more tension (just a tiny bit) but everything else was fine. The ZR tremolo was very easy to set up after having taken all strings off. The intonation was easy to tune (a touch fiddly with the on board intonation Tool) and the instructions that come with the guitar were easy to follow and cover everything you need to know. The pickups were adjusted well to give relatively equal volume out of all three picks ups (I dropped the middle single coil down as it was closer to the strings than the humbuckers). Unlike the photo on the Ibanez website the poplar burl top is a one piece and much nicer aesthetically (in my opinion). The binding on the body is really beautiful and the neck is pretty nice to. It's finished in a thin layer of matt lacquer showing off the timbers and you can still feel the grain stunning. I found the 13th fret below the B & G strings a bit high, causing a dead spot when bending the E on the 12th fret up a note. With the good quality clamp and soft jaws I pushed the fret back to the finger board and it's been no trouble since (this is the sort or stuff a new guitar needs anyway as sometimes they sit around in hot containers for to long in transit and timber moves). The frets have all been finished to a high Standard with no sharp edges. All hardware is of a high Standard and should last the life of the guitar, electronics work well with no buzzing. If I was to be really really picky, (as you have probably picked up I am) the router work although fine could have been finish a little better where it meets the top of the poplar top (sanding a small radius, you can pay more and that's what they do on the prestige model). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Sorry I don't play Live so no comment. The hardware is lovely and will last well. Although thin the finish should wear well, I'm hoping over the years it with wear down a bit like Nuno's Washburn N4. With a bit of love it should last a long time. As it's only four weeks old time will be the judge. // 8

Overall Impression: For the blues, rock and metal I play it covers well with a modern tone/twist (sorry can't put it into any better words than that. It'll be nice to find a good valve amp to see how the tone may chance or more likely be enhanced). It's been over a year saving coin for this guitar and in that time I looked at Jackson and Telecaster. For price/quality Ibanez won, plus for someone Who's been playing for only three years (and a late starter @ 30) I'm still experimenting with sound/tone and tremolo is part of that. The ZP bridge sustains very well for a floater. It's a bit neck heavy but it's no problem to move it back in my lap to counter balance this. Standing is fine and being light makes it easy to move around for finger board access. The wizard II neck has a double radius (like on Jackson's), I wish it was closer to a single continuous radius (think that is because I have big hands so it's probably perfect as is for average sized hands). Like most thing's this has good and bad points, but most are really really good. I'd replace this guitar with the same or another S if something happened to it. PS, I don't work for Ibanez. I don't care if you buy it or not, but if you are interested in this guitar I'm trying to give some honest feedback as I didn't find much about this model or ZR tremolos when I was looking on the web // 10

S670PB Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2009

Features: Brand New, just arrived at the store 5 minutes after I arrived. Made in Indonesia, which I was a little worried about and that was only partially justified. It's got 22 frets, a Wizard II neck with locking ZR Trem. The finish on this guitar puts the photos I've seen to shame. It's a one piece poplar burl top that is flamed, curly, just overall fantastic with a matte clear finish. The mahogany back is 2 pieces that are center joined, and very good looking pieces of wood. The neck is maple and the fretboard is bound rosewood that has been stained to make the grain appear more consistant. // 9

Sound: I play a few different things at this point. I'll always play in a Grateful Dead Tribute band, and I've recently started doing originals that sort of fuse Jazz, Rock, and New Age and this guitar will be made to work VERY WELL for both of these. I play through a Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 2X12 with a Line 6 M13 and a Lexicon Reverb. The sound of the guitar is both good and bad. The VERY good sound (in fact more pleasant than my Strat, SG, and Tele) comes from playing the unplugged guitar. It has great sustain and rich tone. The problem comes when you plug in. The pickups that come in the guitar are garbage. GARBAGE. The neck pickup is the best of the bunch and it is alright with a little reverb but it doesn't really Shine in any way. The other 2 pickups are very nasal and too hot (bridge humbucker) and thin, doing a bad job imitating a mexican Strat pickup (middle single). It's not noisy, very well grounded as there is no hum even with the single. There is one big plus to these pickups. They all cut through the mix very well (though not in a good way). The other thing is that they really did sound fantastic when I was monkeying around with some 80s hair metal riffs during sound check. Maybe I'm being too harsh as they did do that 1 sound exceedingly well. If only it was 1987 again... These pickups do Ratt like nothing else... // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Here's the bad part... The guitar was set up badly from the factory. The pickups were too high... the middle single caused terrible stratitis and the bridge was almost touching the strings. The action was very high due to too a bit of an overadjusted truss rod. The back of the trem was almost touching the bottom of the cavity. There was also the back of the neck which is more of a personal preference anyhow. When I pulled it out of the case at home, I felt a few rough spots and didn't really like the satin feel. This is easily fixed with a piece of OOOO steel wool. In fact all of these "problems" weren't terrible since I have to change the strings to 10s and reset the trem and pickups anyway. It's just kind of nice to have it get there in perfect tune with dead on action... Now here's the good part... The finish was flawless. There were no bad routs and no frets popping. There was no pitting on the metal parts. Everything was in place and nicely cleaned up. The back of the neck I would have hit with steel wool anyway to give it just a touch of gloss... Nothing was wrong that wouldn't have been changed anyway. In fact, the slightly back bowed neck had perfect relief under the tension of the 10s... // 6

Reliability & Durability: Everything is good so far... The hardware is well made and everything seems up to snuff. Can someone take the gig without a backup off this site? That's just moronic. If you are a guitar player and are playing more than a 1 set gig, you need a backup. If you're playing a showcase, you need a backup. It's a stupid question. The only thing I'm concerned with is the Cosmo black finish on the metal. If it wears poorly it will make the guitar much less visually appealing. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is pretty much what I've been waiting for. It's a low priced, good looking guitar that really has a very usable locking tremolo. I've loved the look of this guitar ever since it came out as the s2170 Prestige. Of course that was way overpriced, so my waiting paid off. I've been playing 21 years and have owned more guitars that I care to remember. The big thing I look for now is a good feel and inspiration. That's what I saw in this guitar. It's a new style of guitar for me and I feel like it's giving my playing new places to go. I'd definitely replace it if it were stolen. I need to replace the pickups, but really, they should just leave those off from the factory so you can buy your own. I don't think I've ever kept a set of pickups stock on a guitar. It'll also allow me to tweak out the wiring and do some funky electronic things in there. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the guitar now that I've got it playing right. Just a matter of time before the thing sings with sweet tone... // 8

S670PB Reviewed by: Skullivan, on april 05, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: The Ibanez S670 is a very excellent choice of guitar. I bought this guitar on impulse since I am a HUGE Joe Satriani fan and am aware of his endorsement of the S (sabre) series. This guitar was regularly priced new at $800. I got it for a steal at $475. And I must say, this was a fantastic deal! The trem is very reliable and stays in tune all the time. The mahogany body gives off a warm tone that's full of sustain. The stock pickups were....okay. I've since swapped them out which I'll mention later on. But this was a great impulse buy which I am very proud of. // 9

Sound: I play mostly shred, metal, prog metal, classic rock, and a little blues. This guitar is able to handle all of these styles and possibly more! I'm playing through a Peavey Vypyr 75 which captures the sound very well. The pickups, however, are not very clear. The neck pickup, the INF1, is quite muddy and doesn't capture chords very well. The middle pickup, INFS1, picked up hum at even low levels. I immediately replaced it for a DiMarzio Chopper which was a good replacement for me. The Bridge pickup, INF2, was the token pickup though. It has great clarity and provides me with no problems whatsoever. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The only thing I had to do for this guitar was adjust the intonation. That's it. The previous owner must've been good to it because it is very well set-up. Some of the chrome hardware was a little dirty but it was nothing a little polishing couldn't take care of. Really, nothing was wrong with this guitar. Just a great all around guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood many gigs. It has given me no problem live but I wouldn't take a chance with ANY guitar without a backup. The strap buttons seem very sturdy and can take a good run around the stage. With it having a clear finish no one will really tell that the finish is wearing, if it does. But this guitar has not wore. It has kept its clear coat ever since I got it. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is my current dream guitar. And I am living the dream. I've been playing for about 3 years and this guitar has helped me grow. If it were stolen/lost then I would DEFINITELY get another one. This guitar was a great addition to my musical family. The ONLY thing that I might add in the future would be upgraded pickups plus a coil tap. Anything I throw at this guitar, it will turn around and knock me out of my seat with how beautifully it plays. But seriously, you will want a pickup change before you play this guitar for real. This guitar is a very very VERY versatile, beautiful, and inspirational guitar. I could not live without it. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014