S7320 Review

8.9
 8.4
reviews (3) 31 comments vote for this gear:
S7320 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 16, 2007

Features: It was made in 2007 in Korea (first one in Canada to my knowledge might not be but it was the first ordered from the store I bought it from). It has a 22 fret thin Wizard II 3-piece maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, the body is made from carved mahogany in a black finish. It has a Strat style body with much more comfortability to it. It has the new ibanz ZR (zero resistence) tremolo which is so awesome compared to the Edge 2 style tremolo on my RG320FM. It is so easy to adjust with the opening on the back that allows you to tighten or loosen spring adjustment. I wasn't used to how to make it work when I first got it because you have to untighten the string holder at the bridge then cut the ball end off the string. It came with D'addario 10-56 but I switched them to DR 10-56 because they feel much better to myself. I may Switch them to 10-60's in the future but they seem to be perfect the way they are as they are. It came with the Standard Ibanez pups which are suprisingly powerful for stock pups. They are passive which I like because of not having to worry about a battery or the sound dying off. It has one volume, one tone, and a 5-way pickup selector for the double-humbucker pickup configuration. It has the Standard locking nut with the tremolo and the Standard Ibanez tuners which are fine by my perspective because with the locking nut it doesn't really make a huge difference. I bought the Ibanez hardshell case with it and it fits like a glove in it. You COULD throw it down a flight of stairs and it would be fine but why would you unless you were just trying to take the risk. I also bought 2 sets of DR 10-56's to replace the ones on it and to have a spair set. It came with Ibanez Prestige tols which are very nice and have soft grips on them for easy use. Came with a black whammy though all of the pictures I've seen the whammy is chrome. looks better with the black strap locks and nickel in my opinion. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metalcore and deathcore styles and I was instantly wanting one when they brought it back forhigh-demand. My biggest influences are Buz and Ken from Unearth and they use the exact same guitar from the '90s (7620). It nails there sound even without the EMG 707's that they have ni their bridge position. Might not get those because I don't like the active pickups maintenance needed. Might get dimarzio's for it down the line though. The pups in it are great bright sounding and have next to no noise. I can make everything from clean chord arpeggios that make you wish you could spend less time shredding and more time playing clean stuff to whammy bar madness that the likes of Herman Li and Steve Vai do (elephant noises, horse whinney's, mortocycle sounds, etc.). I run it through a Zoom G7.1UT then through a DigiTech Death Metal for really great sounding high gain into my Kustom Quad Jr. Half stack, and it's great. Had to turn down the bass from before when I was using droppped tunings on my 6's because of the pickups and it worked out for the better for all of the guitars I use. This guitar is great for variety for a 7 I think. Clean tone is amazing and it can rip peoples face off with high-gain. I'm gunna use it in jazz band next year to be different with the extra low string. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It wasn't horribly set up when it came into the store. Wentworth is the most awesome place I have ever bought instruments from. A different place that I ordered a RG7321 from I had to wait 7 months for me to get there and when it got there it had a messed up neck (back and fretboard) and they sold it to a different person before I could get there again. But wentworth made me wait 2 months and it came in when they said it would. The bridge was a little bit forward but it was easy to fix with the adjustment roller on the back. The pickups were adjusted well at the factory and they didn't need to fool around with them at the store. They sound fine in my opinion so I won't be adjusting them anytime soon. The guitar had no flaws when I payed for it and took it home. Just needed new strings for my preference and the bridge was a bit forward. None of those were anything worth telling them about so it was great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm going to play this guitar Live. It's built very well and is made of good woods and materials. The hardware is great and will last as long as nothing stupid happens to it which won't. I was doing guitar flips with my RG320FM and the entire strap button came out because I replaced it with strap lock buttons and the guitar fell to the ground but with this guitar the screw holes were smaller so wen the new strap butons were installed by myself, they went in with no stressing and they weren't loose in the screw hole at all. Probably not gunna take my chances with a guitar flip because I love this guitar too much at the moment. I will depend on this guitar for Live play but I will always have my 6's there just for back-up because I always want to be good to go no matter what. The finish is awesome on everything and it won't be wearing off anytime soon for sure. // 10

Overall Impression: For the metalcore Unearth style playing this guitar nails it which is why I bought it. I own an Ibanez RG320FM and an Ibanez ADX120 from before I turned to the dark side of 7's. I've been playing for 4 years now and shredding Giles on it by Unearth that I learned today is just the funnest thing to play. I wish I would have asked how to maintain the tremolo but I had a manual from when I bought the RG320FM and it explained everything. If it were stolen I wouldn't rest until I found Who had stolen it. If they had broken it I would sue their ass into getting me a new one at the very least. I love everything about this guitar from the thin neck, to the ZR tremolo to the fact that it has 7 strings! I have nothing to hate about this guitar. My favourite feature is the bridge for sure and how easy it is to adjust and maintain. I played an Ibanez RG7321 a month before buying this one and this one is just so much better in my opinion. I might buy a RG7321 down the line for another 7 and for throwing one in drop A just for kicks. The only thing that I can muster up that I wish it had is the 5-peice neck just because of the looks hahaha. But that's not important enough for me to care about. I am so in love with this guitar I've only played my 6's a few times since I've brought this oen home. 7>6.This guitar will rock your world if you play Metalcore, Deathcore, Grindcore, or anything else hardcore or metal, maybe even something else! I definantly would recommend you go play one and join the 7-string army! // 10

S7320 Reviewed by: JD Blue Venom, on october 19, 2009

Features: It was made in Indonesia, I'm asuming it was made in this decade but im not sure when exactly, From lifting it definatly feels like maple and its just like Brand New even though its suffered a few bumps, yes it does have a shallow body but its thicker around the middle (where the pick-ups are) and its very comfy, the neck is really thin (with 22 jumbo frets) the frets can turn around and bite you when playing certain riffs as this is a wide neck given its a 7 string but dont be lazy and stretch your fingers, the tremolo is not an original Floyd Rose but rather Ibanez's own style; at first I didn't like this but you get used it and begin to prefer it, very simple electronics, the pick-up selector is 5 way so either side of the middle point(not on the far ends just next to the middle) is where it goes into single coil mode, nice, Pickups are passive too. // 8

Sound: This, for me is my favourite guitar as ultimatly it is incredibly versitile, I've played Rock, Jazz, Blues, Funk, Metal, Ska, Pop and many more with this baby, even with a thin body and passive pickups it packs a punch but also great for melodic playing. For all you insane metalheads out there that just wanna rip up that B string then yes this thing roars, but you wont need as much distortion with this guitar. Sometimes sustain can be about average length compared to a mahogany or a heavyer sounding guitar but the pickups suck up as much sound as possible so this isnt a problem. I can't decide whether this was built for lead or rhythm but I'm going to say both, its brighter than it is warmer and i personally love the way it resonates and (when in high gain) that feeback you get after holding a note melts my ears. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Shiny, Black, very sleak and generally well prepared, no scratches on the chrome or anything to complain about, I only had to tune it when it came (as with all guitars, duh) and has been fine ever since, if your not familiar with replacing strings with a tremolo you should find a decent youtube video that will tell you how. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't need to say much in this part, basically unless your really unlucky this will last you many gigs and hours of playing, I take care of my gear so I can't really say a story of how it survived a furious Dead Kennedys and The Exploited tribute gig, but it should. // 9

Overall Impression: Yes, I do like Munky, Petrucci and Vai but No, I didn't buy it because of them, I had this guitar at first so I could keep my other guitar in Drop D and play this in Standard, as well as use the B string to play songs in Baritone making it a two-in-one tuning, now its become my main guitar because ive learnt to play alot more styles better and the Ibanez S7320 does it for me. Its not for spoilt 13 year old kids playing Nirvana and ACDC, its good for intermediate players Who need to ditch their cheap copies of guitars and need something more professional, or if you just want a good Ibanez/Super Strat. If you want this for the 7th string to purely be brutally heavy then you should realise that 7 strings werent made for that, but tuning the 7th to A (making it drop A) is a fun tuning. Overall a very cool guitar. // 10

S7320 Reviewed by: connorhxcchaos, on october 12, 2010

Price paid: A$ 1600

Purchased from: Dream Music

Features: Indonesian made in 2008, 7 strings, 22 fret, mahogany body, maple bolt on neck, rosewood fingerboard, Ibanez stock passive pickups, Ibanez ZR7 tremolo, I've got the high gloss white one which I believe was a limited run. Beautiful thin body. 5 way Switch 1 tone 1 volume, locking nut. Main downside of this is the 22 frets and the dodgy Ibanez pickups. Otherwise brilliant features. // 8

Sound: I mainly play progressive metal which means I need a lot of clarity, the pickups are okay clean but putting some overdrive/distortion on makes them somewhat muddy which is why I'm probably gonna upgrade to some bareknuckles or something. The pickups sound great for jazz and lower gain styles and are surprisingly versatile. No weird buzzing or anything from the pickups which is awesome. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight out it was pretty good but needed some tweaking to suit my style more I guess. Everything was fine, no finish flaws, no cracks, no corrosion. Everything had been routed properly. The one thing that bugged me, and sort of still does is the plastic cover which covers the electronics, it isnt fitted to the curved body, its just a flat piece of plastic over the top which makes it look a bit ugly. Also I wish they hadn't put a black piece of plastic where the pickup Switch is, its really bulky and looks out of place on this streamlined, thin, guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It does withstand live playing, stays perfectly in tune, I have dropped it a few times and nothing happened, its a solid guitar. I changed the strap buttons to Dunlop straplocks, because I change guitars often but I only have one strap with the locking system on it. Apparently there are reports of the ZR7 tremolo being made out of bad metals which corrode easily, I haven't had any problems so far and I've had it for about 18 months now. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly progressive metal and more modern death metal etc. with some blues and jazz included. I own several other guitars, Schecters being my fave to play and this one was different in the way the neck is shaped, at first I disliked the real thin neck, it still doesn't really suit me but most other people prefer them. If it were lost or stolen I think I'd probably buy the S7420 or save up a bit more and buy a higher quality. I really like how light it is but I'm not really a fan of the pickups and as stated before I will probably upgrade soon. Overall I think its a great guitar for the price but would recommend saving up for a higher quality guitar (possibly prestige Ibanez) // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 8.9 Electric Guitars 10/21/2014