S7420 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 03/29/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: S7420
The S7420 is an Indonesian made 7 string for Ibanez. 24 frets are set in a Rosewood Wizard II-7 neck that is bolted onto an S-type mahogany body and is adorned with Standard pearl dots.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.5
 8.2
 7.8
 8.6
reviews (2) pictures (1) 22 comments vote for this gear:
S7420 Reviewed by: jgsb2001, on october 20, 2010

Features: A little background: I am a guitar hobbyist that enjoys playing hard rock and metal. I am able to play many of my favorite songs, start to finish (Metallica, Type O Negative, Tool, Paradise Lost, Foo Fighters, Ratt, Def Leppard), but I am weak at tabbing songs by ear. I bought this guitar as my first 7-string. I also own an SA160 that plays like a dream (nearly perfect acoustics - I got lucky with that purchase). I purchased this S7420 online from Guitar Center (my first online purchase from factory). The S7420 is an Indonesian made 7 string for Ibanez. 24 frets are set in a Rosewood Wizard II-7 neck that is bolted onto an S-type mahogany body (which is super thin) and is adorned with Standard pearl dots. The body color looks charcoal on websites (using my computer setup) but in person the guitar has a very sleek black finish. I was pleasantly surprised by the color and look of the guitar. There is a five way selector Switch with volume and tone knobs. The S7420 has a dual Humbucker setup (H-H) and an ZR Tremolo. I don't typically use the Trem on my guitars but I have performed a few dive bombs with this one and the action has been very smooth. A very cool feature is the wheel-based string tension adjuster. There is a visible wheel on the back of the guitar that allows you to adjust the string tension of the guitar with a simple push forward or backward of the wheel. Negatives: 1. Smudged logo on headstock 2. Two Dot inlays had blemishes (unpainted spots) 3. Three frets look a little lifted (took it to a shop to inspect and they said it wasn't a big deal. Fret buzz not extremely noticeable at these frets). 4. 7-string guitar case was not included nor offered for purchase. Positives: 1. Awesome neck - I love the neck shape and thickness. I read one reviewer on another site say it reminded them of an oar (I laughed, because it does a little) but the neck is befitting of a 7-string. This guitar has been surprisingly easy to conform to after years of playing a 6 string. 2. Look - the appearance of the guitar (minus the minute flaws) is great. 3. Playability - the low B sounds full and adds a new dimension to my playing. The neck is fast and the action is perfect. 4. Tuning - Stays perfectly tuned just like my other Ibanez. And believe it or not, this guitar is actually very easy to tune, unlike other floyd-type guitars I've had in the past (Fernandez). This gets section gets a 9 because the features are fantastic (ignoring the minor cosmetic flaws). // 9

Sound: My set up: Marshall 30 watt, DigiTech RP500, and Morpheus Drop Tune pedal. I bought this to play heavier music (Deftones, Type O Negative, Paradise Lost, Korn, and my own music) and for the chance to increase my sonic range. I am not disappointed. Acoustically/on Clean the guitar plays very nice, especially in the middle toggle position. Distorted sounds are nice too, but I will probably plop in different pickups as I feel the bridge could be more open and clear for my tastes. They sound just a bit muted for me (could be my setup though). This section gets an 8 because the pickups are the exact types I want. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup was decent for direct from factory. Pickups sound nice and are well positioned. There were a quite a few minor flaws. The headstock has a smudged logo. A few frets appear lifted (high). Some of the screws, bolts, and other parts look a little distressed. The back panels look like cheap plastic when the front boasts beautiful, dark looking hardware. I would recommend purchasing a guitar that you have touched and played. Buying online is too risky. My guitar's flaws are rather minor but when you work hard for your money you should get what you pay for, and not anything less. It was my fault for not being more careful in my purchasing options. Overall it looked like the 3 people who signed off on my guitar for inspection missed a few details. Not the end of the world, but when you're paying hard-earned cash... that is why this section gets a 6 and not a 9 or 10. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Based on my experience with this guitar and my guitar's flaws, I don't think this would hold up well to touring or anything. But for simple at-home enjoyment (which is my purpose) this is just fine. It seems like the paint would chip easily and that wear will become noticeable over time (as compared to my Korean SA160). This section gets a 5 because the paint job is about as thick and brittle as a Lays potato chip. // 5

Overall Impression: The S7420 is very easy and fun to play, but the minor flaws mine came with leave a sour taste, leaving me less inclined to recommend this guitar. If I ignore the minor flaws, I can strongly recommend this guitar to players who want increased sonic range from an otherwise beautiful guitar that offers great playability. // 8

S7420 Reviewed by: Marzum, on march 29, 2011

Price paid: € 619

Purchased from: rockpallace

Features: Indonesian made guitar with 24 frets, wizard II-7 neck and a mahogany body. ZR-7 Bridge: I like the ZR-7 bridge, keeps the guitar in tune. if! the guitar is set up well, so if your guitar gets out of tune take a close look at your intonation! Passive pickups with a 5 way pickup selector. (-) one of the few negatives of this guitar is the fact that the body is a bit to slim for fitting active pickups. I decided to buy this guitar as my first 7 string simply because I love the Ibanez-S series. I own a S470 and simply love how versatile it is and how low the action is. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal all kinds of stuff from Dream Theater to stuff like Cannibal Corps on this guitar. it sound fine although the B Sting sounds a bit muddy sometimes. At my place I run the guitar through a Ibanez Weeping Demon and a Peavey Bandit 112. also tried it on a Fender and a Marshal valve. While playing with my guitar teacher I was amazed how clean it sounded trough a clean channel while also having a great distortion tone. Thanks to the 5 way selector you can get a wide variety of sounds. I especially like the ability to parallel connect the neck pickup for a bit of a single coily sound. So overall a nice sounding guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: the factory set up was horrible. The intonation was a off and the string where to thin, the Low B sounded like sh*t. First thing I did was restringing it with thicker string and set it up right. After setting it up the action was really low with minimal fret buss, which can't be heard through the amp. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Played live with it once, no problems at all. But I would bring a backups so should you with all guitars, you never know what might happen. Since I have some experience with the s series I know that the hardware will last. (-) the tremolo arm comes of once in awille, the socket seems to loosen up or something. This occurred to me 2 times in the past year. Not a big flaw but still. // 9

Overall Impression: With my style of music its an good 7 string guitar for its price. If I would lose this guitar if I would have more money I would go for a other guitar. But since this was close to my budget. I love the feel of this instrument but the thin body is kind of a double edged blade. I like this guitar a lot and maybe I'll replace the pickups one day it plays great and sounds great. So overall a great guitar if you don't mind passive pickups. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014