S770FM ATF Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 08/01/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: S770FM ATF
Made in Indonesia, this Guitar is an absolute steal for the price. The Guitar has 24 Jumbo frets on a Rosewood fretboard; fashioned with Ibanez style "worm" inlays or the ibanezezs likes to called it as Abalone S Waves.
 8.7
 9.1
 8.3
reviews (2) pictures (1) 27 comments vote for this gear:
S770FM ATF Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 01, 2010

Features: Made in Indonesia, this Guitar is an absolute steal for the price, I'm using a Malaysian Currency in buying this guitar so RM1980 shud be divided by 3.5(US dollars), I'm not good at math so, I leave this matter to you guys! The Guitar has 24 Jumbo frets on a Rosewood fretboard; fashioned with Ibanez style "worm" inlays (or 7 inlay, cus it looks like both worm n number 7) or the ibanezezs likes to called it as Abalone S Waves. The Neck itself is a 3 piece maple Wizard II bolt-on, with a two-octave fretboard, the new S models allow players to be more creative with a lot of freedom(copied from Ibanez website) and it rocks! It's really sleek, and thinner than normal guitar necks, thus allowing comfortable shredding and riffing.below are the specs for this guitar: * neck type 3pc Wizard II Maple neck * body Flamed Maple top/Mahogany body * Jumbo frets (25.5 scale) * bridge ZR bridge w/ZPS2 * neck pu INF1 (H) neck pu * middle pu INFS1 (S) mid pu * bridge pu INF2 (H) bridge pu * hardware color Cosmo Black The Body is made from mahogany body with flamed maple top, this one is a looker (one of my girl friend spilled her coffee when I show this guitar to her, I swear!). It looks great, and the finish is a NON-susceptable to fingerprints so, you don't need to polish often! (super great!!) The Bridge is a ZR tremolo with ZPS2.(love it), One of the best ZPS features is, if you remove the stop bar, ur ZPS easily changes to floating trem operation..(how cool is that), got lots of praises cus ZR trem work like magic, but i still longing for OFS tho. As far as Electronics go, It came with the 5-Way selector wired into the stock INF1 for neck n Mid&INF2 for bridge pickups (Dual Humbuckers), which aren't bad at all.a good clean and a fair distorted sound(it lacks in power, the crunchyness is a bit bland) All in All, The Hardware has held up to everyday abuse for almost 4 month, It still looks brand new! Without polishing. // 8

Sound: The Guitar looks like it was built for Metal(protest the hero use the S model n Herman Li n etc)but the curves is also look pretty thus making this a metal but beautiful guitar or a METBEAU. The stock neck n mid pickup, Ibanez's INF1 is a decent clean pickup. It kept up with everything from Biffy Clyro, CREED, RHCP,n etc to the Clean runs of Metallica's music. the clean is ok if it is not good The stock INF2 pickup in the Bridge was also decent both clean and distorted. It suited my Metal needs, but didn't really pack enough punch for me, I'm thinking of replacing this pickups to an EMGs but, I realy loves the clean sound of it. With the right pickups this guitar can be a super Metal Machine, but for now, it is just an emo rockers or a wimpy band like Tokio Hotel I practice based on my mood, So sometimes I'm playing blues, or some mellow Pink Floyd music, And the S is perfect for it. But then other days, I'm riffing and shredding my way through some 80's Metal? And that's when this guitar REALLY excels. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up is good. I lowered the bridge a little bit, to bring the strings closer to the fretboard and it was perfect for me(S guitar is equip with a spring tension mechanism, one of a the lovable features of this guitar). Some people prefer otherwise, and in such case, you might want to tweak it a little to your taste. The Passive Pickups were adjusted to a good height out of the box and required no adjustment, and they were wired perfectly. No hum, No Buzz, Just right. The Guitar had no visible flaws, not scratches or dents, and even today, for months later, after dropping it, gigging with it, and putting it through hell? The finish still looks great! WITHOUT THE POLISHING N WIPING..HELL YEAH // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've used this beauty at all kinds of Gigs, from a local gigs in my country, and also a university combo (play lots of slow music, but the pays is good)And it really held up great. The Hardware is good as it was on day one. I would gig this without a backup, I have total Faith in this guitar, but just in case something wrong happen, I normally have 3 spare guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of music, and this guitar really does a great job at everything I've tried. Fender Frontman helps in decyphering this guitar sounds and projecting it beautifully, I think my S and my Fender Frontman are in love, all of the sound that they produce is both hot n sexy and sometimes you can just sense the anger and the intensity..cool If it were stolen, I'l f--k the stoler, if it is lost, I just find someone that I can f--k with, if it is dirty, I wont give a f--k. F--k I love this guitar, I love the neck, and the versatility of this Guitar, but I hate that I had to replace the stock pups to get my kind of sound, but hey it is a good guitar I would reccomend this Guitar to anyone looking for any intermediate player looking for a great axe to explore their potential on, plus protest the hero use this kind of guitar, so what is ur excuse? // 9

S770FM ATF Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2011

Purchased from: Kendall Guitars

Features: This guitar has 24 frets. Jumbo frets and plays extremely quickly. It's a solid top guitar and has a very nice finish which is very hard to scratch. It has an Ibanez Zero Resistence tremelo which is extremely versatile. It is very easy to tune, drop tune and put into Eb. It has a five way selector tone and volume. Two humbuckers at the Bridge and neck gice amazing treble and bass and the single coil pickup in the middle is great for playing clean due to its Fender like sound. It has locking tuners ans you would expect. // 10

Sound: This guitar has amazing overall sound. It gives out amazing treble and bass which sound great clean and even better with distortion. It is highly capable of heavy metal and clean classical due to the single coil pick up in the middle. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of the guitar is brilliant and even if it goes wrong the Zero Resistance Tremelo is easy to change. The pick ups are adjusted to the perfect hight. The guitars Bridge is very well routed and has a very good bokkmatched top. The guitar had no flaws and is perfect to just pick up and play. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is highly reliable and has never let me down. The hardwire however will fade over time due to the black chrome finish, but apart from that miner issue it is very durable and reliable. I would definatly use this guitar at a gig with no backup. The finish is the best part of the guitar. It will last as it is flamed maple. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression on this guitar is that of a high callibar. It is a perfect guitar for the learning guitarist. I like and tend to play rock and metal. I use this guitar with a Blackstar HT-5s and its the perfect combination. I've now been playing for 3 and a half years and this is the perfect guitar to reach the next step. If it were lost or stolen I would defiantly buy another, maybe a slightly better version like a prestige but always the sam make and model. I love how easy and simple it is to play. Overall its an awesome guitar and I would suggest it to anyone if asked. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014