SA160QMAM Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 10/11/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: SA160QMAM
Sleek body design, versatile hum and slim fast Ibanez neck, make this a true players guitar. 22 frets, 3 pickups, mahogany body with quilted maple top, chrome hardware color, maple SA-series neck.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 8.2
reviews (20) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
SA160QMAM Reviewed by: Joycey, on june 15, 2004

Purchased from: Soundcontrol

Features: It's a 2000 year make and has Ibanez standard pickups in a HSS setup. The Humbucker is great for playing with grit and the singles are superb for light blues. It's solid Alder and is black. The only complaint I can possibly have is that playing past the 17th fret is a bitch. I mean I have big hands and I struggle to reach it's just the way the neck seems to jut a little bit. // 8

Sound: As i said it's a really versatile guitar. It's not 100% in any single area but rather 80% in all of them which is even better cos it can be used for anything. I just jump around with this guitar all day. My only slight complaint is that it lacks bite when you bend but apart from that it's great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is great and hardly ever needs polishing. My sister completely f--ked my bridge and I had to get it repaired and lowered the action when I did and now it's alot easier. In a way it's not very durable I mean the plastic tip of the pickup Switch has come off and my volume knob keeps falling off if I'm not careful but it doesn't affect the sound so I don't really care I mean if it's not on max it's not worth playing! For a starter guitar it's perfect! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Good guitar still plays well but I'd use it as a backup to my Epiphone as opposed to my first choice but then it would depend what I was playing. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I love this guitar but that could be because it was my first. Seriously if you want a guitar to take live cos you don't want to take your Jackson this is a good guitar. It's durable and will play anything! I mean I play anything from Gary Moore to Offspring and it can handle that pretty well. Great Guitar! // 8

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2004

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: I have no idea which year it was. I have no idea where it was made. 22 frets, 5-way selector. To me, only the humbucker selector is good sounding. There's 2 singles and a humbucker. Looks like a normal Ibanez guitar. I bought it used, so it didn't really come with anything. // 8

Sound: This was my first guitar, and I figured out it doesn't really fit my music style. I'm really into playing heavy metal. It's just so much fun. I listen to everything though. So on my next guitar, I'm getting the double humbucker. I'm using it with a Marshall MG250DFX. It sounds good, but on the overdrive I get some noisy noises on the middle selector and the top bridge one. sounds good on the humucker though. It doesn't sound all that great past the 17th fret. But I'd say for how much (Canadian) I spent on it, It was totally worth it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was perfect when I got it. The store I got it from fixed it up good. Even though it was used, it was in perfect condition. It was totally perfect the way I got it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've never played live. But if I did, I wouldn't have a choice but to take this guitar, since it's my only one. I can totally depend on this guitar though. I've had it for more than 6 months now and nothing has happened at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal. This can play it, but isn't perfect with it. I also play lots of other stuff too though, like Clapton. It sounds good with that on the clean channel. I've been playing about a year and a half, but I'm not some poser who is in love with a P.O.S. Yamaha that has 2 single pickups and crackles all the time. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't get another one, because I'm broke. I'd save up and buy a Gibson les paul when I saw a good deal on one. I reccomend this guitar for someone who plays a very wide variety. Overall, it's a very good guitar, but it's not 100% for me. // 10

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: lp_dude_2, on october 04, 2004

Purchased from: McFadyen Music

Features: it was made in 2004. its only 3 months old. I actually bought it right after it was shipped from the factory. 22 killer medium frets on a 25. 5 scale neck. It's got a quilted maple top which give it a warm but crisp tone. Body is made of mahogany and the neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard. I got mine in the transparent grey finish and man it look great. The bridge is string-thru with saddles. It's a floating bridge with a wammy bar. It has passive pickups in it that rock! 1 volume, 1 tone, and 5-way switcher. It has Ibz pickups in it. Two single coils, one at the neck and the middle, and a humbucker at the bridge. It's a great guitar and very playable. // 10

Sound: Oh man this thing it great for metal. I set it to the bridge humbucker with the tone all the way down. Plug in my DigiTech Metal Master Distortion pedal and rock out! No fret buzz what so ever. And to get a crisp, clean, almost acoustic sound, Switch to the neck and middle single coils and turn the tone all the way up. Throw in a chorus pedal, I use a digitech multi-voice, and its perfect. The thing is great for solos. Use a distortion pedal and a wah pedal at the bridge humbucker and the tone all the way up, you'll made Zakk Wylde jelious. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It had a nice low action. The pick ups were set a little higher the the guitars body which, in my oppion, is perfect. And there wasn't a thing wrong with it. It was perfect! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Oh man oh man. This thing can take a betting and them some. My guitar strap has come undone and it bounced off concrete. Not a scratch and it didn't even go out of tune. The only reason it fell was because of my strap, not the strap buttons. So I got a new strap and haven't had any problems with it. I even swung it around my body and it didn't unhook. Defentally can depend on it, don't need a back up. The finish looks great and will last. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and this guitar is perfect for it. I've been playing for about two and a half years. I also have a Ibanez V50 acoustic guitar. I love everything about this guitar and I even compared it to a Gibson Les Paul and the Ibanez won. Defentally get this guitar. // 10

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 19, 2004

Features: The guitar is a 2002-2003 manufacture, with 22 frets it has a thin neck it has a maple top with mahogany back and sides. The style is a Start or traditional Ibanez style. It came equpited with a floyd rose bridge this I thought didn't work well with the guitar beacuse it would go out of tune very easy if used. The pickups are Ibanez with a single humbucker and two single coils. It has one volum and one tone control with a five way Switch making the mix a bit better. The tuners are standard non-locking they stay in tune pretty well no complaints about that. // 8

Sound: This guitar is used as a more up beat music style such as classic or more modern rock it has the potential, if put with the right equipment to have bluesy sound. The style I use it on more than most would be rock but I have a les paul I play the rich blues sound from. After a while of playing this instrument I found that there was a sorta humm from the pickup. I believe it comes from the chord jack. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up from Ibanez was ok I was not really impressed with everything. It was more of an eye candy type. The action was perfect for an electric guitar no complaints. The single coilds were set a bit higher this caused a bit of a hum that I was displeased with while playing. The top was nice it was very beautiful you could hardly argue with the look that maple gives you. No flaws were dectected on the guitar but after a while the bolts on the bride seemed to rust or oxidize even when it was cased after play. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Any guiatar can be played live that would be player preference, but I have plkayed this one live and it did its job well and the tone was good over a Marshall Half Stack. The hard ware as I preveously stated seemed to be rusting or oxizing after a while of play I am very good though about cleaning my guitar and was very un happy beacuse I was the one who was seeing the flaws in my guitar after a while. I cahnged the starp buttons to the lacking strap buttons because the guitar kept coming loose but it is light and easy to catch hold of. I would not use this guiatr with out a backup beaces of the flyod rose this causes the guiatr to go out of tune way to easy. The finsih has lasted me this long I believe it will last. // 6

Overall Impression: I pay rock and blues two of the most demanding and I am very particular about my instruments. The match is good for a backup. I have benn playing for years. I wish I would have asked about the bridge it is a big disappointment. I would probabally buy a different guitar if had the chance beacause it is ok but I want better from my instuments. There are severally average guiatrs out there but to find a good one that is playable for hours you need a Gibson or a Gretch. // 6

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 10, 2003

Purchased from: Music Unlimited

Features: It has 22 frets, very easy sliding and the strings are very close to the fretboard. Very nice nice shape, it is more rounded than flat. Pickup controls include neck, center and bridge. It's pickup cofiguration is a single, single, humbucker, and it sounds great. A mohogany body, with a quilted maple neck. A great look! // 8

Sound: It's a very good rock or punk guitar. I've been using it with a Fender Frontman amp. It doesnt make much of a fuzz when the Switch is on distortion, and isn't too noisy. It has a great sound, and can make very nice harmonics, bends, pull-offs/hammer-ons, etc. I really like it, and it's a very nice and fun guitar to have. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything on it was pretty good. It had a great set up, and the pickups were perfectly adjusted. When I play it, I don't see any mistakes or dents/scatches. After awhile it may get one or two dents/scratches, but they wouldn't be very noticable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: If you would play it live, it would be wonderful. It has a great feel, and is very comfortable. The finish is great, and the strap is very "connected" to the guitar. I would use this for a gig, but I would carry a backup just in case (although I probably wouldnt need it). // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about a year, but I'm very good for how long it's been. I really like this guitar, and if it were stolen or lost, I would try to track down the theif or buy another one. The only thing I wish I had with it, is a better cable input. It doesnt have a metal border. // 10

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 01, 2003

Purchased from: Electro-Music, Doncaster

Features: 22 frets, two single coils and a humbucker, 5 way selector Switch, tone and volume control, Ibanez tremelo bridge (the cosmo bridge?), but unfortunately no locking tuners. Quilted top. Don't know what wood, but looks like maple. // 8

Sound: I play mainly rock and punk, so it is quite a nice guitar for that (nice, meaty humbucker sound). I have quite a lot of distortion on it usually, but it doesn't seem to have too many problems with feedback or hum, except on the neck pickup (single), which I think may be faulty. It can do the full range of sounds, from les paul style fatness on the neck pickups to telecaster-bright on the bridge. I play through a Marshall 100 watt, and again I have had no problems with feedback. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is quite low, which suits my style well, and I haven't had to change anything from factory settings really, as it has such a nice feel anyway. There are no visible flaws on the guitar that I haven't done myself, and I don't think I will need to get it fixed in the near future. The only problem I can see is that the neck pickup can hum through some amps, but whether that is just my pickup or not I don't know... // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar every day for nearly half a year, and it is still as nice as the day I bought it. I have done a gig with it, and although I took a backup, I had no use for it. The strap buttons seem fine, but I will probably buy strap locks for it anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing a year, and have tried a lot of guitars, ranging from cheap Encores to top of the range American telecasters and Les pauls. However, I still think this is one of the nicest guitars I have played, although not quite up to the high professional standard (like PRS or custom guitars), which is reflected in the price. The only thing I think would improve this guitar is locking tuners. I will probably put those in sometime, along with straplocks and maybe another humbucker in the neck, but that is only because I dont like single coils. Overall, this is a very nice advanced beginners guitar and well worth the moderately cheap price tag. // 10

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: svilen_man, on september 13, 2003

Purchased from: Sofia Filibe

Features: This instrument is probably made in 2001 somewhere in Asia. It has a SA neck with 22 Medium frets. The body is from mahogany with beautiful quilted maple top, Rosewood Finger Board and SAT30 bridge. The shape of the guitar is an agressive mix of Strat and typical Ibanez rock guitar. Pickup configuration is H/S/S. // 10

Sound: I play punk, ska and typical rock and the versatility of this instrument has played a great job for me. Even blues sounds amazing. Btw, playing on this guitar is very easy, guitars like these make me even more excited about playing. The sound of the humbucker is great, the single coils are ok. My only complain is about the little annoying sound of the neck single coil pickup when I put a little more gain on the distortion. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up perfect, everything was ok. No flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had 2 gigs with it and the guitar was more than stable. I feel free to gig with it much more. I've had it for about 5-6 months and I know I can depend on it. // 10

Overall Impression: As I mentioned I play mostly punk and ska and this Ibanez is more than great. I used to play on a thrashy Squier Strat and the difference b/n the two guitars is more than obvious. If it were stolen, I would sell my Marshall amp and I'd take a new Ibanez. The same model. Yeah, and I'd shoot the bastard myself. // 10

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: Badreligionrock, on january 28, 2004

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: This is a 2001 model. 22 frets, with a laminated top. It's got a volume and tone controls with a five way selector. S/S/H...dunno about the pickups. Mahogony body and a maple neck make it easy to play. Tuners are non-locking but guitar still stays in tune great. // 8

Sound: I play metal and blues, and it suits those styles down to the ground. I use a Marshall 50 watt and it is very quiet on both clean and overdrive. A nice full sound on singlecoil at the neck and a good chunky sound at bridge. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I have had no need to change anything from the way it was in the factory. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is reliable but I always carry a spare. The finish is absolutely fine and the strap stays where it is. // 10

Overall Impression: A very good guitar for any styles of playing. Definitely recommended. // 8

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: Heavyhenning, on february 03, 2004

Features: I won't mind babeling about that shit like controls, finish and number of frets... you can read this by the manufactorer or decide for yourself (why should I tell you what I think about the looks?). Worth knowing about this guitar is that it keeps tuning perfectly and that the 5-way selector have very different sounds (this makes the guitar quite versatile). // 8

Sound: I've played a lot of guitars in my time but can comfortly say: This guitar is probably one of the best guitars you get for 650$! And don't mistake me for one of those newbies that loves their new 100$ Squire with question. This guitar is not far from the sound of a Gibson. Only in the extreme solos in 22th fret you'll hear the guitar produce a sound that isn't satisfying. I use this guitar with a Zoom3000 and a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100W with the standart 1960a cabinet. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This was 100% perfect from the factory. Even the string were perfectly cut off leaving the guitar stunning. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Just once I've had a problem with this guitar. After resting my palm too much on one of the screws it loosened so the pickup sunk into the guitar. I tightened the screw and all was perfect again. This happended after about 1 year. I've never had second thoughts on playing this thing live without backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from beatiful acoustical to the hardest rock of Metallica (especially those bitchin solos!). It provides me everything you can ask for its price (again: its only a PRS when it comes to the looks)... // 10

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 05, 2004

Purchased from: Mattchets Music

Features: This is like the 5th review so I'm not bothering with all this stuff. Lets just say its streamlined, every niggle you'd want fixed and every feature you'd want in it. Perfect. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of stuff, mostly Indie and it's great, it keeps my mind open as it's so versatile and do pretty much what you want, any style, I can play funk and bluesy stuff, but when you slam a distortion pedal, it can hold it with the best of them. On my MG30DFX it seems to click well. The stacks in my school work really well to. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up quite well I think. Most of my other guitars have a serius cosmetic defect but all this gets are finger prints. The humbucker did sink however, which is common. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I hurl this guitar about fequently due to frustration with my crap playing and it still works. I'm quite violent with it and like ot squeeze all manner of feedback out of it, yet it still comes back for more slow songs and major songs. Apart from me ramming the volume pot loose with violent chops I trust it with my life. // 10

Overall Impression: For my army of pedals and varied sound, this is what I like to fall back on, my other guitars are pretty lacksure and not as reliable, I recommend this to anyone. I choose it at the time cuz it was an Ibanez and it's been a blessing. Shoulder problems mean i cant play a beast of a Gibson and this is feather light. I hate nothing about this guitar and i recommend it to any player. // 10

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: deadkenedy, on march 01, 2004

Features: It's mostly a pretty standard guitar. It has a great sound and, beacause you have a humbucker and the two single coils you can use it for anthing. The neck is a mixture of rosewood and maple and is very thin. It's nothing to special, it really has mostly standard Ibanez everything. // 8

Sound: As I said before this guitar will do whatever you want it to, you can go from hendrix to metallica, as long as you dont have a shitty amp. I'm only using a smal, old amp with it so it hasn't really reached its full sound variety. But a really great sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This was finished of to perfecion, the strings were all at the perfect height, nothing needed to be tightened later, it ran perfectly all around. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid, everything is not the best but still good quality, everything still works as good as new, it is reliable but I would take a back-up to a gig no matter what I was playing. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar would rate one of the highest I have ever played and that includes some top quality guitars from the likes of PRS and Gibsons. If it was stolen I would get another one. The thing that is great about it is the fact that it is versatile, it can be played at any place, from bowling clubs to heavy metal spots. // 10

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: CvPrEpKiLLaH, on april 05, 2004

Purchased from: Music123.com

Features: Made in Japan, It has 24 jumbo frets and solid top. 2 knobs (volume and tone control), 5 way pickup selector, H-V7/S-1/H-V8 all from Ibanez, and passive electronics. The neck wood is maple and the fretboard is made of rosewood. Black Pearl, Strat body and an Ibanez Lo-TRS Floyd Rose Liscensed bridge. // 10

Sound: I play mostly heavy metal style like Metallica stuff, and this guitar handles it with ease. It is by far the best guitar I've ever played, and it give you that rich sound with the neck pickup, and the heavy crunch with the bridge pickup. It doen't have much feedback at all, I usually play volume and tone maxed with a Marshall MG30DFX to get the best sound out of it. I usually only mess with the amp settings, and leave the guitar settings alone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This thing was pretty much perfect straight out of the box. It's my first Ibanez, and I was amazed that it was perfectly tuned and everything right out of the box. Sat there and played for an hour without touching the tuners. It holds tune pretty good once the strings are broken in, I have mine set up so I can go to dropped-D without unlocking the top. I've had it for about 4 months now, and NOTHING has broken, at all. The only things I changed were lowering the single coil because it sometimes got in the way of palm muting, and lowering the bridge a little so the strings were closer to the neck. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could go through hell and back still hitting pinch harmonics with ease. I've dropped it a few times while changing strings, it has one dent, but you can't see it because it's right in back corner next to the strap button. I'd play it without a backup. It never gave me any feedback or anything, and nothing has fallen apart on it yet. I don't expect anything to for a LONG time. // 10

Overall Impression: My friend has played this guitar a few times, he plays punk-ska to blues, and it sounds better than his guitar,(I think he has an Epiphone). I've been playing for about a year now, and this is my third guitar. My other two were a Squier by Fender, and a Gianini Acoustic. Like I said earlier, I play a Marshall 30 whatt amp through Black Cat wah pedal and DigiTech Metal Master Distortion. This thing is perfect for almost any style of music. If this was stolen, I'd kill the guy and take it back, but if I couldn't find him, I'd buy a new one within the day. // 10

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: Bossworld, on may 05, 2004

Purchased from: Real Time Music Chesterfield

Features: 22 frets, not sure on where it was made. I've got the transparent grey with an awesome looking quilted maple top. 5 way pickup, for the singe coils and humbucker. As everyone else has said this is a feature laden guitar. // 10

Sound: It sounds great, although there is a fair bit of interference on the single coils. Great rich sound through a Marshall amp though. Clean humbucker isn't the best but i'm yet to find a guitar that is good on clean humbucker. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Excellent, however my cat knocked it over and so there's a small impression in the fret board (around the 8th fret). Hasn't altered the way it plays though. But a few of the screws have rusted. Action is nice and low. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's done me well, although i've now put on a strap with strap lock buttons. Looks as though it will last, however the back of the guitar scratches easily. I've played live without a backup before. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Indie and metal, the guitar does everything i want for a very reasonable price. If it was lost i'd be pissed, and i've probably get the same again. // 8

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: sral76, on april 22, 2005

Purchased from: Long & McQuade (Used)

Features: This guitar was made around 2002, made in Korea. It has 22 frets and a very skinny neck. It is probally has one of the skinniest necks I have ever played. It has a maple top with mahogany sides I do belive. It is a Strat style guitar (only better) and has a sting through body bridge which features a terrible whammy bar. On this guitar the whammy bar is absolutley useless. Use it a bit and you will have to re-tune right away. It has 1 volume (changes the tone more than the volume) and 1 tone knob. The tone knob works quite IMO. It has the usual Ibanez pickups with one humbucker and 2 single coils and standard non-locking tunning pegs. // 6

Sound: When I first got this guitar (1 1/2 years ago) I was into underground punk. And this guitar was terrible for it. Now I am into bands like Chuck Berry, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, ZZ Top, Led Zep, etc. and it is pretty decint for it, nothing great but it gets the job done. I use a VOX AD 30 VT and I use nothing for effects except the ocasional Wah or Tube-screamer. It is quite quiet on this amp, but on my old Fender Frontman 15 there was terribley loud buzz, The only buzzing I get from it now is when I am suing the neck pickup or when I stand too lcose to the amp. It has a quite full, bright clean sound and I can also get a very trebely, grainy sound as well. But on distorted it loses its edge. Just does seem to cut through the mix when practising, sounds a little muddy, and the is very little bite when soloing. Makes a great rhythm guitar but is lacking in the lead department. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it used so I don't know the factory settings. I have been tinkering with the action for a wheil and can get it good, but not perfect. THe pickups are alright I only had to go get it reajusted once. But the humbucker keeps on falling inwards so I had to reset it myself and it seems good now. Everything was fine with this guitar when I bought it only a couple of dents and skratches, the tonal and volume knobs have fallen off a few times but as fopr that everythings good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I am not really a live player so I don't know how it would stand up live but the hardware seems sturdy, I have smaked it, droped it, thrown it and it still is great. Quite reliable. The strap buttons are ok. It kept falling off my old strap so I bought one that you drill a hole into and stick on from the other side and I have had no problems after that. As I said I have had it for a year and a half and I play quite a bit and the finishes still looks as good as ever. Just a few polishes now and again and its fine. // 8

Overall Impression: It is an alround good guitar, It does'nt do any one style great but does them all decintly. This was my first ever electric so being a young musician it was a good match. I was happy with it when I bought and a year and a 1/2 later I pleased with, not happy anymore though. If it were stolen or lost I qould not buy another one, I have outgrown this guitar. I don't like that there is no real bite to the guitar but I do like how it looks. The only things I really wish it had was more bite and a floyd rose whammy bar so it would not go out og tune. // 6

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2005

Features: Made in the year 2004. Made in China. 22 frets, on a rosewood fretboard. This Ibanez model is actually an SA model with floyd rose bridge. I am pretty happy about the features my guitar has, as it has the addition of the Floyd Rose tuning, on top of all the usual SA-model specs. // 10

Sound: My style of music is rock and blues. This guitar doesn't utterly excel in any of them, but at least it tries coming close. Sound quality is pretty good. On clean mode, the sound quality is just at least average. Overdrive suits the guitar well. When set to the middle of the pickup Switch, it gets noisy, but not overly. Tone is satisfactory. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: All that I can say here is that action, fit and finish quality is excellent! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I reckon this guitar can and will withstand live playing, as it feels very solid. I did a lot of live playing with it in the past year, and it didn't miss a beat at all. The hardware seemed like to last at least a half more decade. It's that good. Strap buttons are truly solid indeed. I can depend on it with all my heart, but chances are it may break up sooner or later, so I would use it with the assurance of a quality backup guitar (though, never something like my former elec guitar, Ashton). I love the finish on it. A bit over a year later, the finish on the guitar still looks brand new. Of course, I polish it now and then to keep it all looking neat and tidy. // 10

Overall Impression: I want a new s series Ibanez in the near future. But for now, this Ibanez does the job well, still. // 10

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: Argon, on january 04, 2006

Sound: I play a rock and metal and everything in between and I have to say it suits my style perfectly although for the really heavy music you need a second humbucker which it hasn't. I'm using it through a Spider II 30 Watt amp and it sounds great on distortion and clean. Because of the single coils you can probably play about any style of music decently as long as you have a decent amp. I prefer the humbucker sound because it really feels warm and powerful. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up perfectly although I don't know if the people at the store did it or if it was set up like that at the factory. The action was as low as you can get without buzzing and the pickups were adjusted nice. The finish was stunning and it didn't contain any flaws except when you look at the area around the input jack there are a lot of paint scratches very close to it and it isn't because of my cable because I'm always very careful but it's kinda hidden so you don't see it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar would withstand live playing without a doubt and the hardware definetly seems like it will last. The strap has never come of and you can really depend on it it has never broken down on me I haven't even broken a string. The finish doesn't look like it will come off. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for half a year and this is my first guitar, it was perfectly set up and if it was stolen I'd probably do everything to get it back or buy another one. I really like the killer finish and the low action, the higher frets are a bit difficult too reach (I'm talking about 20+) and I wish the neck single coil was a humbucker so it would have been an HSH. All in all it's a great guitar and if you're thinking about buying it you should really go and try it and be stunned by it's sound. Thank you for reading my review. // 10

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: ibanez4492, on july 14, 2006

Sound: The sound fits my style perfectly. My style is rock. I have a Vox Valveronix 50 watt, and when I plug in my Ibanez with its humbucker, it sounds killer! You can play it clean, or you can play it dirty, it will produce beautiful sounds no matter what. It provides a nice warm sound, partly due to teh mohogany body. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything is perfect, right out of the box it sounded great. I just tuned it and pluged it in. There were no flaws, the action was just perfect, and the pickups were amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would play this guitar at a gig anyday. I've had mine for 3 years and I never had to take it in for service or repairs. Everything is tight and nothing is loose. No wires have shorted out. This guitar was defiently built to last. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is amazing. I could've purchased a Gibson LP but I'm glad that I purchased my Ibanez. If it was stolen I would buy it again. And again. This is the guitar to buy. You know how they say that the player makes the guitar? In this case, the guitar makes the player. // 10

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: Broken-pick, on february 28, 2008

Purchased from: 2nd hand

Features: Not too sure when it was made, but I know it's MIK. 22 frets, thin 25.5, maple neck with rosewood. Mahogany body, with quilted maple finished with amber burst. Body is rather S-like. Fitted with SAT30 floating bridge and passive pickups with volume, tone pups, 5 way selector. AS2 (S) neck pickup AS2, (S) mid pickup, designed BY EMG (H) bridge pickup and non locking tuners. Everything was stock. No extra accessories because I bought it 2nd hand. // 7

Sound: It fits my trash metal needs,and it'll also fit whatever your genre may be. The SA series are versatile. The pickups are noisy at times (Ibanez singlecoils, what can you expect). Rich and full sound. I have to add that the bridge pickup doesn't really suit metal though. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Can't really answer because I bought mine 2nd hand so I'll answer like how I bought it 2nd hand. The action was low, and had some buzzing, the pups needed slight adjustment. It was bookmatched fine. Flaws I received were crackling tone knobs, a shaky bridge pickup and 2 oxidized screws on the neck and body joint. Doesn't matter much tho, very easy fix. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing. As long as you don't do crazy Herman Li guitar stunts like holding the guitar with the whammy bar, it'll stay in tune. The strap button on the back was not solid, but I fixed it with the good ol' toothpick trick. The finish is damn solid, I banged it on a table and there was no visible scratch. Scratches are only visible if you see them under really bright lights. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I have said, I play metal, and it's fine. All it needs is just a better bridge pup played thru a good amp. I've played for more than 3 years and I own a Laney HCM10, Jackson superstrat copy, Behringer hellbabe, Zoom 505II, and now, this baby. Yes, my gear sucks, but this guitar is kickass. I wished I asked for the damn allen key when I bought this guitar just. No reason why tho. If it's lost or stolen, I'll hunt the guy down and make him swallow my guitar. I'll get a new guitar because this guitar is discontinued. My favourite feature of this guitar is the beautiful rock solid finish and I hate the lack of 24 frets. I compared it to an Ibanez RG321MH and chose this one because the neck of the RG series are too thin. I only wish that this guitar was HSH, has 24 frets and maybe a floyd. By the way, I bought it for Malaysian Ringgit 950, not USD 950.UG didn't prepare the MYR currency option. // 10

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: WantzChas, on april 10, 2009

Purchased from: Used

Features: My Ibanez SA160 was made at the World Plant in Korea in 2001. It has 22 medium frets on a 25.5" scale length maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. It is a quilted maple laminated top on a mahogany body. The body shape is a super start style with a SAT Pro bridge. It is configured with S-S-H style normal Ibanez pickups (could be INF pickups, I'm not sure). It has a 5 way pickup selector, a tone knob and volume knob. Note that the only difference in my experience between the SA160 and the SA260 is the headstock's color and that the SA260 has the coil tapping option on the humbucker with the push-pull on the volume knob. Overall is this all the features you need when buying a guitar like this in this price range. I'll give it a 9 for features, merely because the tremolo isn't very good. // 9

Sound: I play anything from rock to country, blues to metal and everything in between and this guitar can do it all reasonably well. The problem with all round guitars is that you will always lack somewhere. In this guitars case it could've done with a neck humbucker for metal and the middle pickup gets in the way when down picking, but then you won't have that "start-like" qualities for the old school rock and country. I'm running this guitar through a Randall RG50TC and used to play it through a Roland Cube 15 and when comparing it to other guitars I have played through those amps the guitar's personality really comes through. It has a warm and rich tone, surprisingly warm for such a thin bodied guitar. This guitar is the ultimate all rounder, being able to play everything reasonably well. I'll give it a rating of 8 again for the versatility of sounds it produces. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't get the guitar direct from the factory, but it was set-up pretty good from the previous owner. Everything was in place and it is really easy to set the intonation, pick-up heights, action and truss rod. The guitar is getting older and still looks Brand New. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Like with all Live shows, it is stupid to gig with just one guitar. It will be able to do life playing with a smile. The hardware is still flawless after a good 7 or 8 years. This guitar was not made as a cheapish low quality beginner guitar. The strap buttons will hold fine, unless you're an "Yngwie Malmsteem" personality on stage. It is still as shiny as when it came out of the factory. It is built to last. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is really a good guitar and it falls in the price range of certain ESP LTD's, Jackson's etc and this guitar is the better guitar every time. If it got stolen, I would still have my Ibanez S540 (my main guitar) to jam on, but I will be pretty pissed, catch the thief and beat him to death with this guitar. I love the versatility and lightness of the guitar and the way it feels. It would've been a lot better of as either fixed bridge or with a licensed Floyd Rose as the strings go out of tune fairly easily with excessive use of the tremolo. // 9

SA160QMAM Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 11, 2011

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: Passive electronics. It's supposedly a Strat body type. It has a volume knob, a tone knob, and a 5 way selector switch, which I love! Non locking tuners, I'm pretty sure. I got a gig bag with this guitar, not a huge fan of the bag, I will definitely get another one. // 5

Sound: I love the fast neck, the low action, although I will get that raised eventually. I play worship music, mostly. It suits the style perfectly, I find. I use a Fender Frontman 25R practice amp, with a DigiTech RP255 effect pedal. I don't find this guitar too noisy, it's got a nice sound, kinda quacky, if that's a good definition. I'm not sure about the sound it makes, I play worship, I'm not going to fool around wit it too much // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't think this guitar was set up very well, because I experience alot of buzz, anywhere on the neck. I like the pickups, with its tru-duo humbucker pickups, it's awesome! I like the paint job on it, it's like a bluey color, I thought at first it was a one piece guitar, but I was told otherwise. It sounds awesome. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I would take this guitar to worship practice, since that's what I do, I would not rely on another guitar. I think this guitar will last me for a long time. The strap buttons are incredibly solid, I have no worries about them failing, maybe my strap though. I love the paint job, that's one reason why I got it. It has scratches in it from playing alot! But over all this guitar is awesome. // 6

Overall Impression: I play worship, like I've said before. It suits my style perfectly. I've played guitar in general for about 10 years, but never really got into playing the electric guitar until 2 years ago. I own a bass, which sucks. An acoustic guitar, which is decent, I want a pickup system installed in it. And an Aria classical guitar. I wish I had asked for advice on how to keep the finish clean, it gets so dirty. I would probably buy the same brand, not the same exact guitar, if it got stolen. I love the paint job, the 5 way selector switch. I hate the fret bizz it produces when I put it in Drop D, or lower. I wish it had a better jack, makes life so much easier for taking the chord out. // 7

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014