SA160QMTG Review

8.6
 8.1
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
SA160QMTG Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2005

Features: This is a 2003 model guitar (the SA line is still available, just not the QMTG version). The code stands for quilted mahogany transparent gray which is beautiful, I don't know why they discontinued it. It's got 22 frets, even though the neck is bolt on, the top frets are easily reachable because of the deep cutout. The neck is thin, nearly flat, with medium frets. The pickup configuration is HSS. It's also light so it doesn't break your shoulder when you play it for a while. The finish is absolutely the best. Since I've had it it's been played by me, my 15 year old son, my 11 year old daughter, the dog etc. Not a single scratch or nick. The bridge is a basic Ibanez tremelo model but I took the whammy bar off and threw it away. The tuners aren't locking but it stays in tune pretty well. My only complaint is in the volume pot and I could get it fixed if I really wanted to. It sticks a little. // 10

Sound: The 5-way selector gives great tone control and it can go from smooth blues to crisp clasical to super crunch and anything in between. I use a Behringer modeling amp with more settings than I know what to do with. I mostly use the reverb and chorus with the clean chanel, and high-gain distortion on the other channel. The humbucker at the bridge and the two singles in the middle and neck position give it any sound you could want. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well but I did have some buzzing and had to have it set up by the shop's technician. Once I got it set up right, its been a dream. The action is blazing fast. As I mentioned, the volume pot isn't quite right, but not enought to make me have it fixed. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar will last a long time. The finish is very durable. The playability is great. I expect my children will play it once I move on to something else. The strap buttons are the best in the business. This guitar isn't made for the professional musician and I wouldn't play it live because I would be afraid it wouldn't stay exactly in tune. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything and everything (some better than others). I also have a Fender Strat (Mexican), a Yamaha acoustic, a Behringer amp, I run a lot of stuff through my computer using Cakewalk software for effects and recording. I gave the Strat to my son when I got this guitar even though the Strat is a more expensive axe. I will buy Ibanez again because you just can't beat the value for the money. The quality far exceeds other brands in the same price range and even higher. If you get a chance to buy one of these, go for it. // 10

SA160QMTG Reviewed by: yohanand, on april 03, 2006

Purchased from: Kl music store

Features: After testing various guitars, I decided on this korean made SA160QM. It's got 22 frets/medium on its neck and is made out of 3pc. maple neck material. The body of this guitar was glowing in the shop. Like it was yelling out to me, "I have been destined for you and you alone," this however might be due to the quilted maple top on a mahogany body. It has a transparent finish and I decided on transparent gray (because it was the only one left). This amazing looking guitar had a SAT30 bridge which I guess is suitable for the type of music its meant for. Although the passive electronics on this baby may put the beast to sleep, the smooth neck with pearl dot inlays make it almost impossible to wake up again. Only two volume knobs are provided though, the classic volume and tone. However a 5-way selector gives you the ability to play various style's of music. It has a 2-1-1 pickup configuration. IBZ AS2 (S) neck pickup, IBZ AS2 (S) mid pickup, IBZ AH4 (H) bridge pickup. I got this guitar together with a strap, tuner, cable, gig bag and a few picks. My cousin knew the shop owner very well. // 8

Sound: My style goes from heavy metal e.g. Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy to rock & roll e.g. Guns N' Roses to blues e.g. Stevie Ray Vaughan. Although I sense a lack of power everytime I play "Master Of Puppets" I guess there is a give and take for the clean sound it gives you on blues. I got myself a Marshall 10-watt amp together with the guitar and the pair is just perfect for each other. I mean the Marshall is perfect for just about anything. I also purchased a ZOOM 707 effects peddle a year after and the sound is nice and clean. I wouldnt say that this guitar gives you the full range of sounds you can expect from an Epiphone or whatever but its enough for me. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish was perfect and I did not find any flaws in the product. I guess these koreans do a thorough job. One of the pickups was slightly slanted but it was nothing a little adjustment couldnt fix. Everythin else was just perfect. // 5

Reliability & Durability: So far, I have already done 6 live performances. No problems have been encountered (so far) but I must say that the beautiful finish on the body is like a scratch magnet. No heavy scratches but very slight ones which can easily be seen by reflecting the light on it. The hardware seems sturdy and the strap buttons are solid. Yet I wouldnt completely rely on it, keeping an extra guitar is always an option u should take. // 6

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal most of the time therefore this is not a perfect match. But the reason I got this guitar is because of the wide range of stlye's I can play on it. This is the first guitar I got when I was 16 and therefore will always have sentimental value. However I am planning to purchase another one with two humbuckers to give me that extra power I need to perform Metallica songs to the fullest. I compared this one to the other RG series hanging next to it. The biggest factor why I choose this one was because my cousin who is a professional guitarist recommended it over the others and I being a newbie to the world of guitars decided to follow my Guru. If it were stolen, I would find the scum who stole it and kick his ass. The sentimental value on it is irreplaceable. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014