SA320 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 08/21/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: SA320
Ibanez designed the SA320X with your aching back in mind! The Ibanez SA320X gives you that sleekness with a familiar-feeling standard flat back. It includes a piezo pickup for acoustic-style tones!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 7.6
reviews (4) 3 comments vote for this gear:
SA320 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 21, 2005

Purchased from: Local Dealer

Features: Okay, here we go! The Ibanez SA320 was made, I think, 2004 in China. And I can tell you, they've made a great job with this Strat-style Ibanez. First of all, I love the finish. The mahogany body has got this "clean" look, kind of like the Mike Mushok Signature, but with a beautiful red touch in it. The 25.5 scale neck is a typical Ibanez neck, super slim and super fast, and it feels pretty much like the RG neck. It has got a double sat bridge with a whammy-bar, that unfortunately, isn't that great. Use it a couple of times, and you have to retune (this seems to be a problem on most SA's), but since I hardly ever use the whammy it's no big deal to me. Double humbuckers that also can be used as single coils enables this guitar to handle most sounds. Special mics on the bridge (called Piezos) make it possible to get a decent acoustic sound too. // 8

Sound: I mostly play heavy metal, and this guitar handles distortion great! At home I'm using a small Roland Microcube, and when going live I usually use Orange amps, and this Ibanez works very well with both. It's a rich and crunchy dist sound, that I find hard to get with any other brand. So I often play metal like Pantera, Metallica and System Of A Down, but I also play funk, like Red Hot Chili Peppers, and it works great too. Maybe you don't get this Fender "bounce" in your tones, but it's definately good enough for me. Also, the piezos make a good complement to an acoustic guitar. Overall, I think the sound features are very good. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I bought this guitar from a local dealer, he fixed it for me before I took it home, so I can't really tell how it was when it came from the factory. All I can say is that the body was perfect when I got it, not a single scratch. The action is great, not too high, not too low, just perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar several times when going live with my band, and it is an good live guitar. Not excellent, but good. Holds the tune pretty well, unless you are a "smasher", that plays very hard, cause then you'll probably have to retune occasionly, but it works great for me. The buttons and switches all seem to be very solid, so I think that this Ibanez is a guitar that you definately can use on a gig without backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar constantly for about 3 years, and this guitar is perfect for me. I compared it too other similar guitars, like Jackson and Schecter, and all I can say is that this one kicks ass! If you love to play blazing metal-riffs, this is the one for you. No other guitar offers a neck as slim as an Ibanez neck, and that is according to me very important when playing metal. The Ibanez SA320 costs only about 800 euros, but it is as good as 1500euro-class guitars. Overall, a fantastic guitar, and I'm very happy I bought it! // 10

SA320 Reviewed by: necrowizard, on november 07, 2005

Features: This is the Ibanez SZ 320 MH. Frankly, it is a beautiful guitar. Set neck, string thru body for extra long sustain, beuatiful mahogony finish, gibraltor bridge, chrome hardware, this guitar is the real deal. I was kind of an impulse buy. I had been looking at Ibanez's online, but didnt consider buying one. I was taking my Epiphone SG in to get it set up, when I saw the Ibanez hanging on the wall. I played it for about an hour, through a variety of amps, and decided I had to have it. I traded in my Epiphone, and got more than I expetcted for it. I paid only $250 for the Ibanez after the trade. The pickups are Duncan/Ibanez, their designed in conjunction for Ibanez between the two companies. I don't think they are quite as good as real Duncan's, but they are great nonetheless. I also got a harshell case with it, because I traded in my Epi with a hardshell. I wouldn't dare put this in a gig bag, not that the guitar is fragile, its build very solid, but I want to protect it as much as possible. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal, in the vein of Opeth, In Flames, Metallica, Lamb Of God, etc. It handles that no problem. I play in a progressive death metal band, similar to Opeth only in style, (I dare not compare us musically to that band). We do osimilar transitions from heavy, distorted gutiars to mellow, acoustic/clean electric passages. All I do is Switch the channel, and set the pickup selector to the neck pickup and I get an amazing clean tone. And I mean amazing. As long as the setting on your amp is correct, you will get an incredible sound. Distortion is great as well. I play through a Peavey 160 watt amp (an old one) when I am playing with a drummer, but usually I used my Fender Frontman 15, which has a better sound that the Peavey. Great sound no matter which amp I use. I am looking to get a Laney, and I assume it will sound even better through that. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: For the first six months, I played using the factor setup, and used Daddario 9's. Eventually, I took it to my friend/bandmates house, and he set it up for me. He is really good at it, and it cost me nothing. Its set up with Daddario 10's and it is incredible. The action is perfect, its just great. The guitar had absolutely no flaws when I bought it, other than the lousy factory setup. I wish I has gotten that changed earlier. The finish is beautiful mahogony wood. It very simple. Other Ibanez SZ series guitars has flashier finishes, but I liked the wood best. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played live once, but it was at my school's coffee house, and I was sitting down and playing a song on the clean channel. Itworked fine, but if I was playing live with my band, I would put the guitar through much more abuse, but I am sure it could handle it. The hardware seems fine, it will last, and it is chrome, which does not fade like gold, the strap buttons are solid, and I do not have a backup, but I definetly would feel confident gigging with only this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Works excellent for metal, as well as blues and acoustic, good accessibility to high frets, I have been playing close to five years, and this is my fourth electric guitar. (I keep trading them in) I started out with a Squier Strat (obviously), traded that in for a Fender Strat, realized that I did not like Strats, traded that in for an Epiphone SG, liked it alot, but it was not built very solid, the I got my Ibanez. I am not irresponsible enough to lose a guitar, but if it were stolen, I would hunt down the person who stole it, bash their face in with this guitar, and play it while jumping around their unconcious body. I am certain that it is built to solid it would sustain no damage throughout the process. I love absolutely everything about this guitar, I know that is said alot, but I really mean it. I compared it to only a few other guitar, my old Epiphone, and a Schecter Elite, I think it was, which was $1000. I didnt have the money for the Schecter, but even if I did I probably would have left the store with the Ibanez. Great guitar for the money. The only thing I wish it had is a button that I could press to make me as good as Mikael Akerfeldt. // 10

SA320 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 02, 2007

Purchased from: local shop

Features: My SA320x has 22 frets, stunning black finish, nice tone ('cause of the mahogany) and it's light as a feather. Similar shape to a Strat. It has two Ibanez active humbuckers which beat the ass of any Squier (I own one also) or Epiphone I have played! Didn't get any accessories with it but that's no bother to me. // 10

Sound: Well, I am a bit of an oddball, I play such a mixture of music, from Metallica, to Dream Theater to the Chilis (also love QOTSA). That's why I find it so hard choosing guitars. However, the piezo pickup is awesome for a bit of vareity and lets me have a stunning acoustic sound in an electric body. Now lets get to the humbuckers, amazing, before I had this guitar I played a Squier Strat (still own) and was not too convinced by the distorted sound. My Ibanez changed all that. The best part is I can get a great sound thrugh the humbuckers wether I play clean Oasis stuff, or thrash metal full of pick squeals (much easier on the humbuckers btw) it's a shame I couldnt rate this one eleven as I even prefer this to a Les Paul to some degree. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Niice low action, guitar does buzz a lil bit, but amazingly easy to play. My jack plug was loose but I got it fixed as it was cutting out and really annoying me. I also think the dual outputs are a nice touch, but I don't use them as I only run it through one amp and don't do a great deal of life stuff. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a beast without a doubt, good quality hardware and strap buttons. Very dependable, I would play a gig without backup, but that's only because I don't have another that matches the sound quality. If I had another guitar I would take it, but that's just because ia am a quite conservative guy. As I said before, finish is great. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said in the sound section, this guitar suitas my varied playing style. I have been playing 2 and a half years and would consider myself to be intermediate. Other guitar is a metallic blue Squier Strat and amp is a Marshall MG50DFX (which I love). I don't own any other pedals or stuff like that but I plan on getting a crybaby wah pedal. If it were stolen I'd definitely go with another Ibanez but I don't know which model, it would probably be another SA series but maybe one with some coil tapping (that's the only thing I wish I had) fvourite thing about the guitar is it has so much style with great looks and sound, and it can be as agressive or as soft as you want it to be. Fantastic guitar! // 9

SA320 Reviewed by: Prima47, on august 21, 2009

Features: Japanese made guitar with 22 frets. Very nice Mahagony body With an absolutely beautiful deep red finish. The Floyd bridge keeps this guitar in tune quite well, even when using a whammy bar. There are 3 control knobs on this guitar. One controls the humbucker pickups, one controls the tone, and the third controls the piezo Acoustic pickups. // 9

Sound: The sound from this guitar is absolutely amazing! I play a lot of metal guitar (Lamb Of God specifically) and some softer kinds of music. The piezo pickups work great for playing softer stuff and the humbuckers work quite well for everything else. There is a very slight buzz on either the humbuckers or the piezo's, but only if you pick very very heavily. One very nice feature is the two input jacks so you can use two different amps and two different sounds coming from the same guitar. There is a 5 pickup selector with all the Standard sounds found on most Ibanez guitars on it, all of which sound very nice. Hands down 11 on the sound, but I can only rate it a 10. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up quite well at the factory. The action is really good from the factory but I did adjust it minutely to make it even better! All I did was adjust the neck. The pickups were adjusted perfectly and the guitar came already in tune very very close to Standard. The guitar did not contain any flaws at all and I am very pleased with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Without a doubt I would play a gig with this guitar. So far all the hardware seems like it will last quite a long time. This guitar was built with quality in mind and will be sure to keep me rockin. The strap buttons are quite solid and I haven't had a problem with em yet. They don't come with locking buttons though so I plan on getting some soon. I would use this guitar in a gig without a backup because there's no need for a backup. I've played this thing non stop since I got it (two months ago) and I can't even tell that I've played it at all. I can't even see any pick marks next to the strings where the pick constantly rubs when playing chords. // 9

Overall Impression: I mostly play Metal guitar and this guitar is a perfect match for me. The humbuckers are perfect for hardcore rockin. But if you do feel the need to play a softer side of music the piezo pickups are on there and ready to go (as soon as you put in a 9V battery of course). I have been playing for 3 years and this guitar has done everything I need it to and more. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014