SAS32FM Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 10/05/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: SAS32FM
Similar in tone to an Ibanez S, the Ibanez SAS32FM mahogany body gives a warm sustained sound, but with a standard, flat back. A 25.5" scale set neck offers the narrow feel and tight tension similar to a Ibanez RG.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 8.8
 8.7
 9.4
 7.9
reviews (4) 35 comments vote for this gear:
SAS32FM Reviewed by: IvoP, on august 08, 2006

Features: My Ibanez SAS32FM has flamed maple top/mahogany body. It has 22 medium frets. Scale is 648mm/25.5". Neck is 3pc SA set-in neck (rosewood fingerboard, I absolutely love it). It has 2 humbuckers (neck pickup AH3(H), bridge pickup True Duo Bucker(H)) and 1 volume and 1 tone control. Bridge is SAT Pro bridge. The only thing I plan to change after some time is tremolo. I also got some tools and cable with this guitar. // 9

Sound: I play everything, rock, blues, metal. This guitar offers many options. It has 5-way pickup switch. I mostly use 5th position for great lead sound, 2nd and 4th for clean stuff and 3rd for blues. The best thing on this guitar is sound. It is just amazing! I use it on Microcube and I also tried Cube 30 and Cube 60 and it just rocks! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it it had low action. I like it and I haven't changed it since. Finish is dark red sunburst and it didn't contain any flaws or anything else, like the rest of guitar. It was in perfect shape when I bought it. Pickups don't make any noise and I am satisfied with them. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have owned my babe for only 3 months so there is no much to say about this. I haven't performed live yet since I bought her, but I haven't had any problems with her for this 3 months so I'll give her 8. I don't know what else to say here. I'll know more after some time. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I already said, I play many things and this guitar is perfect for it. I've been playing for 2, 5 years but I heard many guitars, crap guitars like cheap Arias, Squire, and some Les Pauls and other Ibanezes, and this one is one of the best I heard! It also looks fantastic and I wouldn't change it for any guitar that costs that much! Many guitar players have tried my guitar and they all absolutely love it! Go get this guitar! // 10

SAS32FM Reviewed by: JF91, on january 23, 2008

Purchased from: Pro Music Technology

Features: The Ibanez SAS32FM has 22 medium frets on a set in neck with abalone inlays and body binding. It features dual buckers and a 5 way, which lets you get a good variety of sounds from this guitar. Also, the volume control is a push/pull pot which splits the pickups in positions 3, 4 & 5. Compared to Les paul style guitars it weighs a hell of a lot less. The one problem with this guitar is that SAT pro bridge. It takes a long time to settle and not go out of tune everytime you use the trem, but installing a tremsetter later will sort that right out for me. // 9

Sound: I'm using this guitar with a trusty little Roland microcube at the moment, and even though I know it doesnt't do this guitar justice the 2 still make an impressive combination. The variety of sounds is really good, heavy sounds from the neck bucker or a nice twangy Fender Strat sound from the rear pickup (split) and everything that comes between. In total there's 8 different pickup selections (check the Ibanez site) Also, there's zero fret buzz from this guitar, which is nice. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As I got my Ibanez from a local music shop it was all set up and ready to go, the action is super low, fast adn easy playability. The finish is great, nice "trans lavender blue" which is more purple then it seems to look on most of the pictures on the net. I can't really fault anything about the setup or finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I definitely wouldn't take this to a live set until a tremsetter or some locking tuners are installed. But other than that it's pretty solid. Knocked it about a few times and it all seems fine. The strap buttons are nice, the shape of them means your strap wont just fall off on you like on a Strat or les paul. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm really happy about this guitar, at first I was worried it would be just another Ibanez metalhead axe, but it's much more than that. It can be anything you want it to be and that's why I love it. Just be aware that the trem has the same pro's and con's as a Floyd Rose though. I looked around for a seriously long time for a decent guitar at this price. And I'm glad I didn't just Rush out and buy an Epi Les Paul Standard or something. This is lighter, more comfortable & more versatile. Awesome piece of gear. // 10

SAS32FM Reviewed by: Inversemetal, on october 05, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Features: It's a 2004 model, Korean made, has 22 medium frets with abalone inlays. The neck is a dream to play, especially as I have small hands due to a disability. It's a vanished neck too and is extremely fast. There is abalone binding all the way around the body too which is beautiful. It has a mahogany Strat shaped body with a flamed maple top which is AWESOME! I've always been a fan of flamed and quilted tops on guitars and this is just amazing. It has a HH setup with a 5 way selector Switch with the 4th and 2nd positions splitting the coils (I think) to give a crisp Strat like clean tone. My favourite thing is the tuners. They are so stable and rarely need using. Unbelievable. My only fault is the bridge. I'd prefer a string thru. But hey ho we can work around that. // 8

Sound: I play lots of stuff depending on my mood. From Metallica to Neil Young, I have a broad spectrum, but this guitar is so versatile. As I mentioned it has the coil tap for gorgeous clean tones and the bridge pickup has decent treble and bass, although I am looking at a DiMarzio D Activator. But it's great overall. I'm running through a few amps as I have the bands amps at my house. Got the Fender Frontman 65r, Marshall MG30 and an Orange Crush. It sounds great through all of them although I prefer the gain out of the Orange & Marshall. We use an Orange Rocker 30 in the band and I'm currently looking at a Tiny Terror because this guitar sounds amazing with the gain maxed out. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When it arrived. It was a used guitar, so it was in bad condition. Dirty strings, high action and a filthy fretboard. It's discontinued now too so I can't say what it would be like new. The pickups were awesome heightwise. Other than the first bit I can't find any faults with anything on the guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I gig with this guitar without backup, now I know some guitarists see that as sin. But I really don't think I need a backup and I'd only back it up with another SA. The strap buttons are immense on this guitar, very big and very reliable, however i'm still looking at straplocks just incase. When I got the guitar, there was some wear on the back from a belt buckle I presume but since I've got it, it's not scratched. I'm a careful owner too, so if it scratched I think I'd die. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is perfect for me. It's extremely light, it's beautiful and it's a perfect guitar for someone who can't afford a Fender or Gibson. The action is also perfect for me. I have a disability in my left hand so it's harder for me to play. But with this guitar, it's so easy. I love everything about it. If it got stolen or lost, I'd find the Culprit and tear their eyebrows off and probably buy another, and another. // 10

SAS32FM Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2009

Purchased from: Kley Zemer (Israel)

Features: My guitar made is made in Korea in 2006. It has 22 medium frets, Rosewood fingerboard with abalone inlays. Mahogany body and neck-thru. Flamed top with a transparent dark-blue (Sometimes it seems to be black, sometimes a dark-blue. however, it is not purple... ). In the shape of Ibanez S series but with flat back. It has 1 volume knob which is used for turning on the true-dou single coil (pulled up), 1 tone knob and a 5-way pickup selector. It has neck Humbucker and a bridge Humbuker\Single-coil (depends if the volume knob is pulled up or pushed down). // 9

Sound: The sound of the guitar is it's best attribute. The neck humbuker has a rich, full and warm soundm, the bridge humbuker has a sharp and bright sound. I use the pickups like this: neck Humbuker for clean and soloing; neck Humbucker which is parallel connected for chords in clean; the middle selector with single coil for an acoustic sounds and for gentle solos; the 5th bridge humbuker for power-chords and heavy solos. I play mainly rock, heavy rock, and metal. However, I'm sure this guitar will perfectly fits jazz and blues as well. I use with it and Ibanez15RX Amplifier and Zoom G2.1u multy-effect. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has a very low action which is great. It came well from the factory, Everything was set-up good. There were no flaws at all. The pickup were well adjusted. In addition, This guitar looks amazing! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I played it Live once and my first string torn, but it isn't the guiar's fault. This is the problem of the guiat, the it doesn't stay tuned if you play more than 2 hours or if you use the tremelo too much. It doesn't bother me that much cause I can tune it once in a while in 2 minutes. The guitar seems very solid, the finish is great and everything is fine. Howevert I suggest to take a backup with you just in case... // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar for me as a rock-metal player was great choice. I enjoy it very much, the sound of it is amazing. I would buy it again if it got stolen, I love this gutar. My favorite feature is the great sound of it, and the comfortablity playing it. I also tried Ibanez RG something, Epiphone les paul. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014