ST50 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/12/2004 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: ST50
24 frets. Rosewood neck. 2 humbuckers but Solid body. One volume and one tone knob, a three way pickup selector.
 8.8
 8.8
 8.7
review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
ST50 Reviewed by: Johnie86, on january 12, 2004

Features: It was made in 1979 in Japan (or so I've been told on the Internet). It's got 24 frets on a beutifully constructed rose-wood neck. The headstock isnt the regular Ibanez type (the modern pointy ones)it looks abit like that of a Gibson, the tuners have a locking capability except they dont lock too well! It was fitted with two humbuckers but I don't really know what make/model they are! The Pickups are quite versatile though! they've got the magnetic core which you can screw up and down, there is one pickup at the neck and the other at the bridge. The bridge is a tune-o-matic. The Guitar has amazing action the neck is quite big but it still gives you the speed you need! The body is solid apart from the ply decoration! I think the body is made out of alder and it's just varnished. The Guitar looks abit like the conservative version of the SG (not quite so evil looking). It's got one volume and one tone knob, a three way pickup selector and also a little Switch at the bottom which i havent the foggiest idea what it was meant to do! // 8

Sound: It is very versatile soundwise! but it's sound is mostly siuted to Blues and classic rock yet can still pump out the hardest of rock! I am using a Laney all-valve amp and somtimes a Boss MT-2 pedal (ps: if you don't have one GET ONE IMMEDIATELELY!! you should be ashamed of yourself). For Bieng 25 years old it really does not give off much noise! most of the noise is on the bridge pickup but I think it's koz it's abit f**cked up! It's got a very full sound giving vast amounts of bass and mid and yet when soloing all notes cut out like a beut! It isnt the most versatile Ibanez I'll give you that! it sucks on finger tapping yet the harmonics (screaming/natural) come out very nicely! The only thing I don't like about it is the finger tapping part! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The bridge has gona abit rusty/oxidisedf,the tuning pegs arent what they used to be, the finish is scratched and bumped in quite a few places, I think the guy that had it before me bloody varnished it with a paintbrush. Yet I would say that it is a bloody good guitar after what it went through. It's got wet quite a few times, has been left in damp garages etc.. it still has amazing action and i never needed to get it repaired or anything. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I would say that it is a bloody good guitar after what it went through. It's got wet quite a few times, has been left in damp garages ect.. ect.. it still has amazing action and I never needed to get it repaired or anything. I think it's like an old VW beetle koz it ain't all that nice to look at but fuckin good! I've played live with it and it has never let me down! it's lasted 25yrs and I think it will last me 25 more! // 10

Overall Impression: If you find one buy one!!! // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014