STM1 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/26/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: STM1
This wonderful Sam Totman signature perfectly matches the shred/metal genre.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.7
 Features: 8.7
 8.8
 8.9
 8.7
reviews (3) pictures (1) 22 comments vote for this gear:
STM1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2009

Features: This Wonderful Sam Totman Signature was made in 2008 in the Custom Shop in USA. This Is a 24 fret Maple/Walnut neck, 25.5 Scale, 400mm Radius, very thin (21mm at 12th fret), jumbo frets, Mahogany body and Bound Rosewood fingerboard. The finish on this guitar is a beautiful snow white. The body is a pain to play sitting, due to the curved wing, but standing with s strap is a breeze. Another ridiculous feature is the Edge III Trem, but with a proper trem setup, it will be just fine. Another downfall is the single volume knob, being the only knob, there is no tone knob, and the position it is in. The volume knob is right under the bridge pickup and in a result, very easy to accidentally move. The pickups are a plus, two DiMarzio Evolutions, DP158 and DP159. And a pair of Ibanez locking tuners to boot. // 8

Sound: This guitar fit's my music style very well. I play metal, Speed, Power, etc. And let me tell you, this is a speed machine. Very good for shredding. I am currently running this through a Marshall MG100 (Lame, but it fit the budget) and with a DigiTech Grunge Distortion pedal, and with the neck pick up on, it tears with it's high end. Even with the bridge pickup, you can go on the lower frets and get a sweet, punchy chug. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory action. Well for me, In my opinion the action was to high, but I like it real low. it's probably just right for most of you. The pickups where top notch. The bridge was slightly raised, but It was fixed at Guitar Center. Other than that, no scuffs and it was in well condition. // 9

Reliability & Durability: In my opinion, this guitar can last a lifetime. This Ibanez Iceman was made to be played at shows, the hardware might need to be replaced, the strap buttons should be replaced. I always bring two guitars to a show, one that's tuned to Double Drop C, and one that's tuned to Standard, which is my STM1, and this is the only Standard tuned guitar I bring with me. The finish is also very hard to scrape away at, unless your like me and mod the finish to no end, because mine is currently wrapped with black tape, looks awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I stated before, this perfectly matches the Shred/Metal genre. I've been playing for 4-5 years and currently own a DigiTech Whammy, DigiTech Grunge, DigiTech DigiDelay, and An Epiphone SG Standard. If it was lost or stolen, I would defiantly buy it again. My favorite feature has to be the fast neck. I have compared this to a Jackson RR24FR and got this because it's less expensive and has better pickups and feels better. The only thing I wish it had was an Edge Pro Trem. // 9

STM1 Reviewed by: shaneibanez, on september 16, 2010

Price paid: € 850

Purchased from: thomann

Features: This guitar was made in the USA custom shop in 2008. It is a 24 jumbo fret maple neck, with a radios of 400mm, at the 12fret it is only 21mm and at the 1st fret it is only 19mm. This guitar is a mahogany body with bound rosewood fingerbord, and the finish on this guitar is a snowish white colour. When sitting down and standing it is very comfortable. The edge 111 trem is a pain and it will make weird noises after a while. The pickups: The neck pickup is a DiMarzio evolution model number dp159 Brige pickup: The brige pickup is a DiMarzio evolution model number dp158 A case, ibanez, strap, spare strings, cables, tools came with this guitar. // 10

Sound: Very powerful sound and it sounds fantastic. I use a Marshall g3or 30watt amp and a Boss ds-2 turbo distortion. You can get all sorts of sounds. And this guitar suits my style perfect, metal shred an everything. And I would definitely recommend it too people. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't think it was set up that great when it came from the factor, because when I put on new strings the tremelo started rizeing and I always have to put on a set of 9s on it to stop that. When you touch the pickup they can move over and back fairly quickly. When you open the lid at the back the people who made the guitar put too much care into it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If you broke a string when playing live it would take at least 10 minutes to change it. The hardware is great and it is really hard too scrap this guitar.I wouldn't go gigging without a backup guitar for the simple reason that if the string was to brake when live, the strap buttons are nice and solid and they do the job ok. // 9

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal and its a brilliant mach. I have been playing for 2 years and have 4 guitars and this is clearly my favorite. If I lost or if the guitar was stolen I would get it again for sure. I love everything about it, the body, hardware, pickups, neck, everything. I chose this guitar because I wanted a Schecter Synyster Standard and the shop I was getting it from didn't have it in stock for another 4 months so I decided to get the STM1 simply for its looks and pickups an everything. // 10

STM1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 26, 2013

Purchased from: Second hand

Features: My guitar is a 2009 Indonesian model. I bought it second hand but with the original hard case and all of the accessories. Included in the case was: a set of allen keys, an Ibanez booklet and the tremolo bar. The case itself is linted with black fur and holds the guitar very securely. The cut-out shape should hold any type of Ibanez Iceman, not just the STM1. This is the most ergonomic guitar I've ever owned. The way the body curves and the position of the "belly cut" makes it very comfortable to play, standing or sitting. The deep cutaway where the horn is makes even the highest frets easy to reach. The body is constructed of a very solid and weighty mahogany, with a flawless white finish and black binding (which looks painted on, sadly). The thru neck is very fast and thin, as mentioned in the official specs it is a 5-Piece Maple-Walnut neck with a 25.5 Scale and 400mm Radius. The bridge style is an Edge III tremolo, which gets a bad rep for its tuning stability. This is only the second guitar I own with a Floyd Rose type of bridge, and I haven't had any problems with it going out of tune, the locking nuts keep it very stable with only minor tweaks needed every now and then when I've been going crazy with the whammy bar. The controls are the only thing that brings the score down from 10 to an 8, as I like to have one volume knob per pickup when using a three way toggle switch due to my familiarity with Les Pauls. It was very easy to install a second knob, so now the volume of each pickup is controlled independently, allowing me to blend the sound of each one with more control. Plus it looks like it was there all along! // 8

Sound: The guitar is very versatile is terms of sound, with minimal gain on a clean channel it can growl out some very tasty blues, but crank it up with some overdrive and the DiMarzio Evolutions really scream out. If it had to be given a set genre it would be rock/metal, but don't be fooled by the somewhat aggressive shape of this guitar, it can and will play anything you want, and sound amazing. I use this guitar with a Marshall DSL40C (1x12 valve combo) I play classic rock, blues, metal, jazz, all sorts. Using it with effects pedals just opens up the sound even more. The number of sounds you can achieve with this guitar are limited only by your amplifier and your creativity! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The previous owner had set it up to play metal, the action was far too low for my liking, a few small adjustments with the supplied allen key easily fixed this. As mentioned above, the black binding appears to be painted on, which isn't ideal, but if you care more about the sound than the looks then it shouldn't matter too much. The white finish is flawless, and feels like it could last a lifetime. A great feature of an all white guitar is that finger prints don't show up easily, I rarely have to clean the body. The black/chrome/white colour scheme is very uniform looking, a real show piece. Unfortunately, due to the 'fake' binding, I'm going to have to knock the score down to a 5, a shame since everything else finish wise is excellent. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged this guitar numerous times (without a backup). The finish has yet to develop any imperfections, and the chrome hardware is still as shiny as it was when I first bought it. As with any guitar, I'd recommend installing a set of strap locks immediately, it only takes one slippery guitar strap to cause an accident which could end up being very costly. I am hoping that over time, the Arctic white finish will mellow into a creamy colour akin to Randy Rhoads' Les Paul Custom. I would never sell or trade this guitar, it has changed my opinion of Ibanez being just for metal. More versatile than any Strat or Les Paul. // 9

Overall Impression: While this guitar may have been designed for Sam Totman, it does everything and more. You don't have to play songs about dragons and fire to make this thing sound great. Due to being discontinued, they are getting somewhat hard to find, so I'd suggest if you're considering buying one to get one fast. My favourite features are: - The pickups, which sound amazing. - The colour scheme, white as snow. - The lack of branding, no one has ever come up to me after a gig and said 'Wow is that a Sam Totman signature guitar?!' Which is a great thing, I've always wanted a white Iceman with a Floyd Rose, this fit the bill perfectly. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014