SV5470F Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/21/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: SV5470F
The S series was originally launched in the 80s, with a mission to give players an ergonomic, lightweight and comfortable mahogany bodied guitar, and at first glance the SV5470F Prestige ticks all the aforementioned boxes.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
SV5470F Reviewed by: shadowbane91, on september 08, 2008

Price paid: A$ 2500

Purchased from: East Gate Music,Melbourne

Features:
- S prestige neck 24 frets - true duo blast pick ups - true duo system, on volume knob (coil tap) - syncronizr tremolo system - gotoh locking tuners - 1 volume and 1 tone knob - 5 way pickup selector - mahogany s body with flamed maple top - comes with a set allen keys and prestige case This guitar's is beautiful, got it in Dark Sunset burst and it just shines like the sun. The SyncroniZR tremolo is great, really smooth, feels like it's floating and you can go both ways with it, though not as far as a real Floating Trem, which is awesome.It stays in tune really well, I've gone for weeks if not months without having to tune it, and restringing is really simple. The 24 frets are really good, the neck is smooth and is a joy to play and shred on. The body contours make it so comfortable to play on. True duo system really works, the true duo pick ups sound like Fender SCN Noiseless pick ups when split. // 8

Sound: This guitar is the most versatile guitars I've played. I've tried the the RG2550Z, Fender MIA Deluxe and Standard strats, along with a few other guitars which were great, however didn't quite have the sound I was looking for. I play mainly alternative rock and blues, however I like a bit of everything, funk, fusion,, even metal as well as a bucket load of Joe Satriani songs, so when I heard about the SV5470, I just had to try it out. The true duo system is basically a coil tapping system combined with the true duo blast pick ups to give you almost Fender like-Twang but a bit darker because of the mahogany wood. Really love the tonal palette that this guitar gives you, you can go death metal on it and then swap to hendrix in a heartbeat. The true duo pick ups, once split, don't make much noise, it's actually very quiet, much like Fender SCN noiseless pickups. This guitar can practically cover any style, my only beef with it is that the pick ups could have been better for the price. I play through a POD X3Live through a practice amp, combine that with this guitar and you get probably the most versatile rig you could find. Neck pick up sounds great for beefy blues, bridge pickup sears and soars at shred, middle pickup is great for that twang or just a middy sort of clean sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up perfectly in the shop, low action, however the lower E string tends to stick to the neck pick up when the trem gets depressed too much. Aside from that, this guitar is great, finish stays there forever! Take care of this baby and it will take care of you. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand anything. I've dropped it, didn't even go out of tune, no scratches, finish is solid rock. The SyncroniZR looks great and holds up to Satriani-like abuse. // 9

Overall Impression: I play just about anything and this guitar is perfect for it all. Shred, blues you name it. I find that this guitar gravitates more towards the heavier side of music, but hey it still does a good job at cleans.Ibanez really pulled it off with this one, if I were to lose this guitar I would buy a Fender MIA HSS Strat just to have a different guitar, but aside from that I'd definitely buy this guitar again. Probably would swap out the pick ups for dimarzios if your really serious about your tone, if not, the true duo pick ups will do just what you want them to. I've been playing guitar for around 2 to 3 years, I play stuff like Joe Satriani, Gilbert and Hendrix, this guitar does it all. All in all, a really great instrument. // 9

SV5470F Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 21, 2010

Price paid: C$ 1700

Purchased from: L&M

Features: Team J Craft made in Japan, 24 frets, coil tap pickups, rosewood fingerboard, locking tuners, zero edge tremolo bridge, Dark Sunset Burst Finish, Volume & tone knobs, Comes with a case. This guitar can do anything, I'm just trying to find the knob that trims your toenails. // 10

Sound: This guitar can do anything. I play everything from death metal thrash metal to jazz, blues, shred. I have a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 Watt Combo so i can really bring out the shred with this. Coil tap on the pickups allow you to get a variety of tones, I got a great Joe satriani type tone for soloing and a Megadeth type tone for rhythm. Neck pickup is very creamy and great for sweeping and soloing. Bridge is great for chugging and tapping but can be a little thin sounding for solos. Great for a Steve Vai sound but I prefer the neck for a creamier tone. The middle pickup gives amazing clean tones, some great Opeth sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up was great but needed a little intonation. Action was nice and low. Pickups could have been higher but decent enough. No flaws. However, I needed new pants when I first played it. Ibanez should give a warning that you will orgasm when you play their prestige guitars. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played live and use it for band practices and at home all the time. Changing strings takes less than 5 minutes and it even cuts the end off for you. I'd play it without a backup, but just in case I have a Jackson Dinky which sucks in comparison. I use this in Standard tuning but when I used drop D one time the other strings when flat. I recommend using this guitar in one tuning but if you change it expect to spend a few minutes getting it in tune. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Jazz fusion, Metal, Death Metal, Thrash metal, a little blues. Think Opeth, Megadeth, Necrophagist, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Greg Howe, Paul gilbert, Joe Satriani, Yngwie etc. If it were lost/stolen I'd probably die but if I didn't I'd buy a new one. Only other guitar that could compare to this versatility is maybe a PRS but those are way more expensive. I tried out Jacksons, Gibsons, Fenders, Epiphones, Other Ibanezes, Ernie Ball Music Mans, but after having an orgasm while playing this baby, I kind of had to buy it. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014