SZ320 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 02/13/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: SZ320
Thru-body, staggered stringing compensates for different string thicknesses and provides superior tonal balance, feel, articulation and sustain.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 Features: 9.4
 9.6
 8.4
reviews (14) pictures (3) 52 comments vote for this gear:
SZ320 Reviewed by: lp_dude_2, on february 25, 2005

Purchased from: McFadyen Music

Features: Ibanez SZ320. Made in Korea. Mahogany body with maple top. Mahogany set in neck finished in black. 25.1" scale. 22 medium frets with abalone dot inlay. Creme binding on body, neck, and head stock. I got mine in black. Gibraltar III bridge with string-thru tail piece. SZ humbuckers, bridge and neck. neck vol, bridge vol, tone, 3 way switcher. Tuners, Ibanez but pretty good. // 10

Sound: Sound is great. Very versital. For great crisp cleans put it in the middle pusition and for great disotrtion, use the bridge pup. I play hard rock/metal and this guitar defentally gets the job done. I used a Marshall MG100DFX to try it out at the store and it sounded pretty good. Then I took it home and hooked it up to my Crate GT212 and my Digitech pedals and it sounded awesome. No fret buzz at all. The strings that came on it were 9-42s which are a little thin for Drop C which I use. Threw on some 10-52s and it plays great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was nice and low but not too low to where there would be fret buzz. Factory set up was perfect. And the finish is beautiful. Not to mention the Ibanez logo on the head stock is in abalone which looks really cool. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is made for the stage right out of the box. Everything on this bad boy is solid as rock and you can defentally depend on it. I played a gig with it and about ten people asked me after the show where I got it cause they wanted one. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard rock/meatl and this guitar owns it. I've been playing for about 3 years and I've played a lot of guitars. This is defentally top 3. Oth Barry Stock from Three Days Grace and Steve Holt from 36 Crazyfists use this guitar with everything stock so you know it's good. If it was stolen id find the guy who stole it and put his ball in a blender then make him drink it. I love this guitar. I had actually compared this guitar to a PRS Costum 22 and they have a lot of stuff in common. Built like a PRS but like 1/6 the price. Defentally check this guitar out. // 10

SZ320 Reviewed by: WolfMan01, on november 11, 2005

Purchased from: local guitar store

Features: Ibanez SZ320. I got mine in the weathered mahogany finish. It has a Gibraltar III bridge and Duncan Ibanez pickups. It has a 3-way Switch, two volume knobs and one tone. This axe has a set-in neck and has a string-thru body. It has a mahogany neck and body. 22/medium frets, with a bound rosewood finger board, and abalone dot inlay. // 10

Sound: I use a Boss ME-50 multi-effects pedal and a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier amp and sometimes a Fender De Ville. This guitar handles almost everything I play perfectly. It sounds great clean and even better distorted. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The first thing I noticed about this guitar is the finish, it just looks good. Not only that, but it's really hard to scratch, so if your rough on guitars this is a good finish for you. My guitar came from the factory flawless and it comes with a pretty decent warranty in case something does go wrong. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Everything about this guitar is great, the only thing you might consider replacing is the tuners. Anytime I put mine in the case for awhile or it just sits there it goes out of tune. The 3rd string tuner (I would say G-string but you might confuse it for something else) sticks out because of the way the headstock is shaped, which makes it really easy to bump something that makes that string go out of tune. // 9

Overall Impression: I wanted a Les Paul Custom shop Zakk Wylde when I got this, but I got the LP anyways. This guitar is a great value and I would definietly buy it again if it were stolen. I have owned many guitars and have around 30 that I play at the moment, two that I never play because they are Warrior hand made "annointed instruments." So I have played my fair share of guitars. This guitar is a great guitar for the guys that want a good deal and an even better axe. I would recommend this guitar to just about anyone. // 10

SZ320 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 17, 2010

Features: This guitar is an Ibanez SZ320. It was made in Korea in 2003. It's a neck-through-body construction featuring a 22-fret 3pc maple and Bubinga neck into a hard mahogany body with a maple cap (Which weighs an absolute TON)and a sleek gloss black finish with Abalone Dot fretmarkers and a cream/yellow 1-ply bind. Frets are jumbo-sized ad the neck scale is an unusual 25.1" Neck profile is not too dissimilar to a Les Paul and is quite wide for a superstrat style guitar It features a Gibraltar III bridge and a string-through-body setup, which provides massive sustain when coupled with the rock-solid neck-through construction. Style-wise, this guitar is closer to a PRS or Schecter than an Ibanez, its a strange take on a superstrat - definitely unlike any Ibanez I've seen before. Pickups are Duncan/Ibanez hybrids (3-way selector, 2 volume and master tone controls) and the tuners and all other hardware are stock Ibanez. I'm a professional musician, I'm also a guitar technician for a touring metal band and I collect guitars as well, and I've had literally dozens (probably 100+) of guitars pass through my hands over the years, and this is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played, hands down. // 9

Sound: I play metal, rock and blues. My influences would be Rhoads, Gilbert, Van Halen, Wylde, Dimebag, Hammett, Iommi, Mars, etc. (The usual suspects!) and also Chuck Berry and BB King. For my style of music, the SZ320 is perfect. Throw the volume knobs all the way up and hit the bridge pickup, and it's a screaming metal weapon. Roll some volume off, drop onto the neck p'up, and it'll give creamy, smooth blues sounds. The clean tone out of this guitar is DELIGHTFUL, beautiful and shimmering without being shrill. I play this guitar through a Marshall JVM410H (live) and a Marshall AVT150x (in practices) and the range of sounds and tones the SZ320 can produce is stunning. As is the sheer take-the-paint-off-the-walls output! For comparison, I've also played this baby through a Roland Cube 15 at house party jam sessions and it STILL sounded great. The highest praise I can give this guitar is that its currently one of only two guitars out of the thirteen I currently own that hasn't had its pickups replaced with EMGs (the other being a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Custom) // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't commment on how this guitar was when it came out of the factory as I got it in a trade deal I made with a buddy of mine, but he said he'd barely played it so I'd assume it was fairly close to factory condition. Once I'd replaced the strings, everything was pretty much good to go. Finish was flawless, as was the action. It's probably one of the nicest set-up guitars I own. Don't know whether this is due to the Gibraltar bridge or if I just got lucky! Unusually, this guitar didn't have very much wrong with it at all in terms of A,F&F, (i'm normally VERY critical in this department, after all, ironing out scrapes like these is part of my job) The only criticism I could level at it, and even this was after actively looking for a flaw, was a very, VERY minor choke around the 14th fret, which after a minor fret-polishing and fiddling was sorted out perfectly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like King Kong and will probably last longer than I will. I've been using it for a couple months now as my 2nd main guitar (of four) on stage, and it's yet to bat an eyelid at the hammering it's been getting. Hardware is rock solid and the strap buttons don't even think about moving. Normally the first thing I do to any of my guitars is replace the tuners with Gotoh Magnums, and it hasn't been necessary here as yet. I'll probably do it out of habit at some point, but so far the Ibanez harware is grand. Some mild oxidization on the control knobs, but who cares. I never gig without at least two guitars, but am very, very confident that if I had to this one would stick the pace. Only concern would be that because the black finish is so high-gloss it might mark up a little easier than I would like, but so far this hasnt been a problem. Overall build quality is unusually (and unreasonably) high for a guitar in this price range. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is the first Ibanez I've ever acquired (becasue it's the first one I've ever LIKED.) and it has surprised me massively. My other guitars are Gibsons, ESPs and Schecters, so this baby had a lot to live up to, and I can honestly say I've never had a guitar punch this far above it's weight. As stated above, I'm a metal and rock player and this guitar suits my needs perfectly. If my word ain't enough, Marty Friedman (ex-Megadeth) uses one of these guitars unmodified for live and recording work, so that's gotta be a good recommendation. I've been playing for about twelve years now and guitars are what I do for a living, so I know my onions and I've seen a fair few instruments in my time, and this is easily one of the most impressive I've come across. It's a rare find. To be honest, I'd probably place this in the top 4 of my collection (along with my Gibson Custom Shop LP Custom, ESP MII Custom and my Schecter C1 Elite) Were this guitar lost or stolen, I'd be absolutely gutted as I've never seen one quite like it before. I can honestly say I love pretty much everything about this guitar. The only real criticism I can level at it is that due to the shape of the headstock, the machine head for the G tends to protrude the tiniest bit, which makes it just that little bit more likely to catch on things (and therefore get knocked out of tune.) The only thing I wish it had would maybe be two tone controls rather than a master tone, but if I'm perfectly honest that's just because I like nitpicking. All in all, this is a fantastic guitar and if you have a chance to buy one, don't let it pass you by! // 10

SZ320 Reviewed by: mrbeanconqueror, on april 11, 2005

Features: The Ibanez SZ320 is a Korean made guitar with 22 frets that are rather huge. The guitar has a maple/mahogany and a fretboard that is made of rosewood. My SZ320 has a body that is sunburst in colour and looks like the PRS Custom 22. Mine comes with a Gibraltar III bridge, so it does not have locking system. The pickups are Duncan designed Ibanez pickups both at the neck and at the bridge and it has a 3 way selector with a volume control knob and two tone control knobs. It does not come with any other accessories so I have to buy my own gig bag. // 10

Sound: I chose this because I wanted to play music with heavy distortion. This guitar fits my demands perfectly. I am running the guitar through a Line 6 Spider II and the distortion sounds heavy. The distortion that comes from the bridge and the neck are completely different, so you can get two very distinct distortion sounds by selecting the pickups, a crunchy and a heavy one. With Duncan designed Ibanez humbuckers, I think that the guitar will not lose to a Jackson guitar in terms of distortion. Since it has two humbuckers, the clean song that comes out from it is very warm. So far, the guitar is never noisy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little too low when I got it, so there is a little bit of fret buzz around the first and the second fret of the high E and B strings. However, I have yet to set the action back. Other than that, the guitar is absolutely flawless. The pickups are perfectly adjusted and the bridge is properly routed. The finish looks great and there is nothing wrong with the looks of the guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank and no matter how you smash it, I don't think it will break so easily (even though I do not dare to try). The guitar works perfectly live but because it does not have a locking system, you have to treat it with care. I made a mistake during my live gig because I played in an air-conditioned room and the strings went out of tune. Moreover, I knocked my guitar's tuning knobs and the G string went a few steps out of tune. These problems would not have existed if you had a locking system. The strap buttons are solid. Even though the holes on my strap are huge, the guitar has never fallen off from my strap. I also think that the finish looks like it can last and if you use it in a gig, I think you can rely on this guitar without any backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I am an Ozzy, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Black Sabbath and Children Of Bodom fan. So, you can pretty understand why I need a guitar with heavy distortion. This guitar can surely provide me with the kick I get when I play songs by my favourite bands. I have been playing for one year and I used to own an Aria Fat Strat. When you ask me which guitar is better, I would say that the Ibanez SZ320 beats the Aria Fat Strat by miles. Before I bought this, maybe I should have asked the dude down there at the guitar shop to help me set my action a little higher. If it were stolen, I would certainly hope to get one again. The guitar is also so light that you can swing the guitar around and jump around on stage wildly without any problems. The string system is also very easy to use. Before I picked this guitar, I tried an Ibanez Iceman, an RG and a Jackson Dinky. Even though the Jackson guitar sounds better, it just beats the Ibanez SZ320 by a little. However, the Jackson guitar costs S$500 more than the Ibanez SZ320 so I think I have made an excellent choice in getting an Ibanez SZ320 rather than a Jackson guitar. Maybe this guitar should have 24 frets so that I could be able to any metal songs. In my last review with my Line 6 Spider II 30, I talked about my dream of getting a good guitar that will make me sound godly. The Ibanez SZ320 is the one godly guitar I have found and I am truly satisfied with it. // 10

SZ320 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 16, 2007

Purchased from: Magnolia Music

Features: Well, it is a 2006, and it is almost transparent to the wood, which is a light brown sunburst. There are abolone dot's up the fretboard, and of course the Ibanez on the head stock is abolone. Pick ups are Seymour Duncan humbuckers, one at the bridge and one at the edge of the fret board, with a 3-way switch. I had been playing a GIO SA model before, and once I bought this one I was hooked on the sound quality. The frets on it are nice and large for my fat fingers. The neck pick up is a ceramic, and has a brightness that you would usually find on more expensive guitars. The bridge pu has a warmer tone, more like a "Paul Reed Smith Santana" model. // 10

Sound: Well, my musical styles are blues, jazz, hard rock, a little heavy metal, and a little bit of funk, so I require a lot of different tones. The SZ320 gives me all that. I have it hooked into a Roland Cube 30, and the possibilities are vast. I love it is the richest sound I have ever heard on a guitar. Before I would have to downtune a half step or drop D all the time, but this guitar has that kind of tone in the regular factory tuning. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The experience I had at the place I bought from was extremely lame and distasteful, and they did not even throw in a set of strings. So the strings were extremely used and abused, but once I put those new D'addarios on it the walls came down with POWER!! There are no flaws in the guitar. It is a beautiful machine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand anything, and I mean anything so far that I can throw at it. And I am extremely rough on everything. I would use it at a gig anytime. Strap buttons are in place like they ought to be. The finish is the most original and glossy that I have seen in a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I am a very satisfied guitarist. The Fretboard is just right. The playability is phenominal, and the instrument is just plain beautiful. It makes this goofball sound a wee bit more proffesional. The styles of music I play are jazz, rock, blues, hard rock, some h. metal, so this instrument cooks on all levels. I have been playing 12 years. I have a Talman Ibanez and a Roland Cube 30. I also have a Gio Ibanez SA model. Yes I would definitely buy it again. I loave everything about it. Yes I compared it to a Prestige model SZ720 and a Paul Reed Smith. The overall value, the craftsmanship, and the quality at the price I paid for it. // 10

SZ320 Reviewed by: acytonestd69, on february 21, 2006

Purchased from: Ted Heberts

Features: It was made in 2003 when they had the wide head stocks and I believe it is made in Korea. Has 22 medium sized frets and is a rosewood bound fret board with abolone dot inlays and mahogony body. It has a plain maple top with a solid black finish. It is a 3 pieces mahogony guitar. It is remninent of an S series guitar from Ibanez. Has a gibralter 3 bridge and is a through body staggered stringing style. real good sustain. There are 2 volume controls and 1 tone control. The pickups are Duncan Ibanez open coil humbuckers. There is one in the Neck and one in the bridge. Didn't include anything else, what I saw is what I got. // 10

Sound: I am a metal head and have true versitility. I play alt. Metal, and because of that I need a guitar that is great with distortion and better with clean tones. I use Fender amplifiers and Ibanez Tonelok FX along with Dunlop Expression pedals. It is a really quiet guitar when you want it to be tamed and is really loud when you want it to be loud. When I play clean I play through the neck pickup and when I play dirty as hell I play through the bridge when I do rhythm and through the neck when I do leads. It has a real warm sound quality and an even better sustain. It is really good if you like to do lead guitar, you can really do some damage like squeals and pitch harmonics easily. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'd say the guiatr was set up very well( but the again I'm totally bias because I really like Ibanez). The action on this guitar is ridiculously remarkable. The pickups were a lil shy of what I hoped for but I just adjust them to the right height and they were like sex. It had a slight dent in the body but it didn't make me go the other way on getting it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I play Ibanez almost exclusively, when I play live I don't feel it neccessary to have a spare guitar present. I have played out with only my Ibanez SZ 320 and must say it held up and didn't fail on me. I can only see one flaw with the SZs there are no flaws. I do more then depend on it, I live by it. I'd not only use it with out a backup, I'd change the strings 10 minutes before the show and then play with fresh strings. I actually have done that. This guitar is built like a tank and I hope it last alot longer then Strat's. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alt. rock/ alt. metal. I feel it's a very good match. I have been playiong for the better part of 5 years now. I own an Ibanez SZ520GAB and an Ibanez SZ520BB. If I could relive this expiriance I'd ask "What's the catch?" 'cause I got this guitar for $250 and it was new and had almost equal or even more quality then Gibson Les Pauls nowadays. If one of my SZ's got stolen I'd be really depressed and wouldn't stop looking for it. I love everything about this guitar, and dislike nothing about it and my fav. feature about it is the overall appearance. Before buying it I compared it to a Les Paul at a rival music store. I chose the Ibanez simply cause I'm getting more bang for my buck with this guitar. I wish this guitar had a flaw so I could actually say it has this wrong with it. I'm kidding, this guitar in my eyes is perfect. // 10

SZ320 Reviewed by: glass_heart_LG, on february 24, 2006

Purchased from: Rolands Music

Features: This guitar features 22 large frets. It has a mahogany body, 3pc mahogany SZ set-in neck. Mine's got a black satin finish, but it's also avalible in gold and brown sunburst. Its body shape is pretty similar to an SG. It's got a Gibraltar III bridge. The strung through body compensates for different string gauges and tension. It features 2 Duncan/Ibanez pickups. It has 3-way toggle Switch. It has 2 volume and one control knob. My guitar just came with a small cable. // 10

Sound: I play classic rock/hard rock this guitar suits my style of play as the seymore duncan Ibanez pick ups create a great classic rock tone, but I have also used this guitar to play metal and it also really suits this style as well. When I'm playing with it live I play it through a Marshall MG50DFX. This guitar has a great varity of tones wether u play rhythm or lead guitar, just by switching from treble to rhythm on the guitar, I rely on this heavily when playing live. The treble is very bright sounding great for over the top guitar solos. It can also create a really heavy metal sound, in a matter of seconds I have gone from playing the darkness to slayer. This guitar has a supberb sound for most types of music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came set up perfectly the action was flawless. I haven't changed enything since I got it in April 2005. I have only had to have it repaired once purley of my own fault as I managed to knock of one of the machine heads when I droped it, but since then I have not had a single problem. This is the best guitar I own. I can't imagine myself using another guitar it suits me perfectly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar live quite a bit know and it hasnt let me down. The hardware does seem to last even though the tone and volume knobs have dulled in coulor since I got them. The strap buttons r gd. I've used this without backup on several ocations and it hasnt let me down. The finish is perfect it hasn't worn at all since April. // 10

Overall Impression: For my hard rock/classic rock it is perfect. Suits it perfectly. I got the Marshall at Christmas but I've used it for bout 4 gigs since then and its worked really well I find it a great combination. If it was stolen I would buy it again cos for 350 it's the best guitar I've played for that price. I love the strung through body, and the Duncan/Ibanez pickups they give a great tone and variety. I tried several guitars I made my finally choice between an Epiphone SG and my Ibanez and it came first it just suited me so well. I would advise this guitar to most peeps but I also advise u try others as you may find one you like better and should also try different guitars. // 10

SZ320 Reviewed by: _zac_, on april 16, 2007

Purchased from: Allan's Music

Features: 22 Frets, 3 piece Mahogany set in neck, string-thru body bridge. Passive electronics, 3 volume controls, no tone controls, 2 humbucker pickup configuration (Duncan/Ibanez pickups). No other accessories were included. Large frets, mahogany body. It has a very nice neck and the strings stay in tune. The tuners are, as far as I can tell, just Ibanez model tuners but they do the job. // 9

Sound: My main style of music is metal, but I also play a lot of jazz, some blues and clean stuff as well. This guitar suits all those style very well. I am using it with a Line 6 Spider 2 30 watt amp and a Vox Wah Pedal. It is not noisy at all, except at high volumes. Very good variety in sound, the neck pickup is good for clean stuff, especially jazz, the middle selection is good for acoustic sounding stuff and the neck pickup is great for metal and rock, basically anything with distortion. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was good, but I adjusted it slightly to get it just right for me. The pickups were adjusted fine, but I had to adjust them slightly when I lowered the action a bit. There were no flaws with the guitar when I bought it whatsoever. The finish was (and still is) shiny and new, though I have scratched the back a little bit. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar itself feels very solid, and is quite heavy (which I like). The hardware has lasted well, except for the neck pickup volume control, which is coming quite loose. Also I have been playing a lot over summer and my sweat has rusted some spots on the bridge, tohugh this is most likely due my own care (or lack of) and not of a fault with the guitar itself. The strap buttons are solid, but I am getting some strap locks just in case. I'd use it in a gig without backup if I had to, but wouldn't be too worried if I didn't have another.The finish has held up well despite one small chip from hitting it on something. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal (I'm in a metal band), jazz, some blues, and clean stuff as well. This guitar suits all well. The bridge pickup is perfect for anything distorted, while the neck pickup is great for clean tones, especially jazzy sounding stuff. I've been playing 1 1/2 years, it is mysecond guitar, and I play it with a Line 6 Spider 2 30 watt amp, and have a Vox Wah Pedal. I tried out lots of guitars before deciding on this one. The one's I can remember are: LTD MH-100, LTD Viper-200, Epiphone Les Paul-Something, a Dean, a Jackson, and an Ibanez RG. Since buying it I have played other guitars, including a PRS SE Custom, other Epiphones and LTDs, and a PRS Custom 22, which was the only guitar to date which I have played and like better than my guitar (It was 4000 dollas though). This guitar was better in feel, sound, and for the most part price (some guitars were cheaper, others were more expensive) than any other guitar I tried out. I love the feel, good neck, quite a heavy guitar, which while to my preference, may not be to everyone's. The only complaint is that the volume control for the neck pickup is very loose and will need fixing. If stolen I would buy something else, not because of the guitar itself but because it's only the second guitar I've owned, so I would want to try something else out. Other people Who tried my guitar have had good things to say about it. // 9

SZ320 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 07, 2007

Purchased from: Frontier Music

Features: 22 frets, solid top with a matt-cherry red finish. looks absolutely beautiful! Mahogany body with rosewood fretboard with a well engineered cutaway that provides such easy access to the higher frets. Standard spec Seymore Duncan/Ibanez pickups. Got it with a free hard case. // 9

Sound: I play mostly Muse, punk and metal. Love the clean tone on this guitar, it was the first thing I noticed. Resonates so well and really sounds quite beautiful. The distortion sounds magic! Even on my dads old Fender stage performer 60 Watt amp it sounds huge! I mainly use the bridge pickup for the distorted sounds and flick between the other two sets for the clean tones. I find when the pickup switch is all the way up (I'm useless with remembering what that is called). I get a nice muted sound that works well for playing more acoustic songs with the electric. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory setup couldn't of been better! Haven't had to adjust anything, the action slides really well and I find it a joy to go on massive runs! the cutaway as I mentioned before is perfectly made so access to the higher frets is so easy. I find that the matt finish makes playing it more comfortable as when you get all hot and sweaty you don't stick to the body! All in all the action and finish suit my style and playing perfectly without having to change anything. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have already used it for gigs and the sound was awesome and I have as yet had no problems whatsoever. Have had no wavers in the pickups or tone knobs yet and they are still reacting as they did when I first Busted it out. The input jack sometimes gets loose but just screwing the nut in and keeping the lead stuck behind the strap fixes that in no time! The strap knobs have stuck hard for the life of the guitar so far and look like they will hold for a while yet. I play with a backup guitar, an Epiphone Flying V, but that's only because I have another guitar! Although some shows I don't have it as my cousins band use it as their backup! I don't feel uncomfortable without backup as there have never been any problems and as yet nothing looks like it will go wrong! No dints or cracks in the finish yet, some slight scratching from my belt but hey it's on the back so no one can see it! // 10

Overall Impression: I play in a punk band and it fits perfectly with that, in my spare time I play every it of Muse I can think of and balance it out with a rationed diet of hard metal. The guitar fits in with all styles I play and never feels out of place. The tone is amazing and I just love the sound of it in clean, particularly when bending the strings and soloing a la kelly jones from Stereophonics. The only thing I wish it had was a Korg KP2 Kaoss touch pad effects in built in it! But beggars can't be chooses hey? Once my new amp rig arrives I will be in heaven! waiting for my Mesa Boogie head and Laney cab to arrive. Anyway buy this guitar although I think it might be a deleted line. Buy it second hand from a reputable seller! Everyone should have one of these they are such a brilliant guitar for the price you pay. Sounds like a 5000 dollar guitar. // 10

SZ320 Reviewed by: WtrPlyr, on june 19, 2008

Price paid: € 470

Purchased from: Local guitar shop

Features: This guitar, an Ibanez SZ320ex in white, was made in 2007 in Korea. It's a solid body guitar, made of mahogany. The neck feels great and gives you 22 frets with beautiful little abalone dots. It has a Gibraltar fixed bridge and Duncan designed humbuckers in the neck and bridge positions. You can switch between the two with a 3 way Switch. You have 2 volume controls and 1 master tone. // 9

Sound: The stock pickups don't sound great, but they passed my hearing test. You can play a lot of styles with this guitar, from death metal to jazz and back, it's that versatile. I play it through my Roland Cube 15 in my bedroom and it sounds fine, if I had a tube-amp it would probably sound orgasmic. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was good, but the action was a bit low. I raised it myself but I like a bit higher action than Standard. The pickups were fine to, I didn't have to adjust them. Everything was good on this guitar, except for the volume pots. The volume didn't really increased when I turned the volume knobs. I had to replace them and now it's fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is very reliable. I don't gig with it but I think it could handle it easy. I dropped it by accident one time (the strap got loose) and there was no scratch on it or anything wrong. The finish does not wear of easily, I played it with my belt and there was a streak of my belt but no scratch, I could just wipe it of. // 9

Overall Impression: This is my second guitar, and I don't feel like I need another one ever again! It's so versatile and reliable it could last a life time. My other guitar is collecting dust on my wall because I only play this one. If it were stolen, I would probably buy it again because it's a great price for what you get. If you need a versatile, reliable and good-sounding guitar, go for this one. // 9

SZ320 Reviewed by: blues_, on july 14, 2008

Features: Ibanez SZ320. I believe this guitar was made in 2005. Made in Korea. 22 frets that are decent sized. Mahogany body with a maple top. String-thru body, Gibraltar Tune-O-Matic bridge, set neck. 3-way switch with 2 volume controls and 1 master tone knob. The tuners are generic Ibanez tuners. Strat body style. Passive stock Duncan pickups. // 9

Sound: I mainly play blues, alt., and a little funk, followed by everything else. The Ibanez SZ320 handles everything very well, and I haven't found a sound I couldn't replicate. I play through a GT-8 and a Crate Palomino amp. Like others have said, at higher volumes it does tend to get "noisy", but you'd be hard pressed to find a guitar that didn't in this price range. It sounds similar tonally to a Epiphone LP. With some consideration to the equipment I'm using with this guitar, I still love the tone I routinely get. A Strat or PRS would probably suit me best for the styles I play, but I love the power I can get with the humbuckers. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup very well as soon as I played and purchased it at the store. I enjoy tinkering, so I played with the action till it fit my desires. But that's just being picky, considering the action was fine the way it came. I'm not a fan of glossy necks, and that is the one complaint I have of this guitar. But that's quite a subjective complaint considering everything else about this guitar is fine. The guitar was in great condition, nothing was loose or needed tightening. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built incredibly. It's solid through and through, and it's withstood the beating I've given it. the guitar has taken a lot from me, from dripping sweat on it to banging it around when I play. It's sturdy, including the strap buttons. I definitely depend on this guitar, but I doubt many musicians would seriously play a gig without a backup. It doesn't matter how solid it is, if something goes wrong, you don't want to spend 15 minutes of your show fixing a guitar. Anyways, this thing is solid to the core. The paint hasn't chipped except around the body where the strings rub against it at the bridge. But I've played this guitar hard, and no paint has come off. Solid finish, solid guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: For the styles I play, it suites me very well. Especially considering the price I paid for it. I've played bass for six years, but I've played guitar for Circa 2. My other guitar is a Jackson Performer, leaving my SZ320 as my main guitar. I love it to death, and death would be the end result of whoever took my beloved guitar. I would definitely purchase it again. For the price of this guitar, it really serves me well. I wouldn't compare it to a Gibson Les Paul or a PRS like some people here, because that's just ridiculous, but it definitely beats out any and all mid-level guitars I've ever played/seen. Again, this guitar is easily the best guitar you could purchase in a price range this low. It's fantastic, and it works perfectly for me. // 10

SZ320 Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 03, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: I'm not sure what year this guitar was made, I've owned it for a couple years now and I bought it new at Musicians Friend. It has 22 medium frets and mine is the black finish with chrome hardware. Body is made from mahogany, with a maple top. Thru-body design, set neck, Gibraltar III bridge. Has dual Seymour Duncan Designed humbucking pickups, each with a volume knob, and a master tone knob. The switch on this guitar is a 3-way toggle, and has a very quiet operation. // 9

Sound: I play rock and metal, and this guitar works well for both. I've used a couple different amps with this guitar, Marshall MG100HDFX, Crate V-18, Peavey Windsor, 5150... Overall, you can get some really nice tones out of this guitar. The stock pickups are actually really good and the neck pickup is nice and warm on the clean channel, the bridge pickup is very suitable for metal, palm-muted, pinch harmonic riffs. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was almost perfectly set up from the factory. I have the guitar in the black finish, and the neck is also painted; makes the guitar look even better with the set neck. I use this guitar for low tunings, drop B and drop A, so I put heavier strings, and made a truss rod adjustment. But it was set up well for Standard playing. Pickups were great from the factory, and I don't plan on swapping them out. Electronics work great... no noise what'soever in the knobs or switch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar many times Live, and I would definitely use it without a backup. The hardware on the guitar is very solid, as is the finish. I always keep mine in a case, so the finish is still perfect. Strap buttons were fine, but I put straplocks on all my guitars no matter what. Another small detail I like about the guitar: the knobs. Nickel or chrome finish, but they are like traction knobs and are very nice. // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect match for the rock and metal I play, but this guitar should be versatile enough to work for other genres as well. I own a couple other Ibanez models, and an LTD and I've been playing guitar for a few years now, bass even longer. I would definitely buy this guitar again if something happened to it, maybe one of the higher models with the inlays. There is nothing that I hate about this guitar, I would have to say the neck is my favorite feature. It plays smoother than all of my other guitars, maybe not as fast as my RG though. I compared it to a few other guitars, LTD's in it's price range, etc. Glad I chose this one! The only thing I would improve on, if I had to choose, would be to put active pickups in it from the factory. But the stock pickups sound great! // 10

SZ320 Reviewed by: gorkyporky, on january 09, 2009

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Second hand

Features: This particular guitar was made in 2006, in Korea, and for a korean guitar, it has superb build quality. Mahagony body with maple top. The neck is a mahagony set-neck, a bit thicker than the wizard necks, but still thinner than the Gibson or Epi necks, with a rosewood fretboard. It has a 25.1" scale, witch is a bit shorter than Standard, and it has 22 jumbo(I think) frets, with oblone circular inlays. The finish is the shiny black kind (don't know the exact term), the neck is finished also, so if you like natural necks you will have to get used to it. It has a superstrat shape, similar to the Ibanez S-series, but with a lot more thickness. A tune-o-matic style Gibraltar III bridge with a string-thru body. Combined with the mahagony body, it gives a lot of sustain. It features two Duncan/Ibanez humbuckers, with a 3-way Switch. Two volume knobs and one master tone knob. Ibanez non-locking tuners, but they manage to keep in tune really good. If you realy want, I guess you can install some groovers. I got mine with an Ibanez hard case, nothing else. Since it was second hand, I don't know exacly what came with it, but I think the case is pretty much it.Some people would want a trem on it, but I wanted a guitar without one, so it's actualy a plus for me. What I wish it would have is another tone knob and groover tuners, so I give it a 9/10 // 9

Sound: This guitar is exactly what I want out of a guitar, tone-wise and other. I play most geners of rock music and blues, from trash metal, to folk rock to clean blues. At home I play it trough a Peavey Envoy 110 30W and I play trough a Peavey Bandit 112 80W with my band, wich is pretty much just a bigger version of the 110. I used the Boss Super Overdrive with it once, but I discovered there's no need for it. Otherwise I don't use effects, just the distortion channel on my amps. The Duncan/Ibanez name would suggest a slightly better pickups than the Standard Ibanez Infinity, and boy do they surpass them in every way. The guitar has a nice rich sound to it, kinda like a LP. The neck pickup is excelent for some cleaner, screaming solos, while the bridge pup has more bite to it, and is excelent for distorion. The middle position has a bit of a hum to it, probably because it splits the two hums into single coils, but it's barely noticable. I use that position for some dirty blues sound, the neck for emulating John Petrucci and the bridge for Metallica. And just by a bit of turning of the knobs, I can get the bridge pup to sing like Angus young, and the neck like Slash. The ony thing I can't make it do is to sound realy bright like a Strat, probably because of the wood and the absence of a single coil, but that doesnt't bother me since I don't like that sound that much. I prefer the deep rich tones instead. But since other people might want it, I give it a 9/10 // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know about the factory set up, but I bought it from a metalhead so it was tuned down 2 steps with thicker gauge strings and reeeeealy low action, so I set it up like I wanted. The pups were fine the way they were. I also had to tighten the strap buttons, but you probaly need to do that kind of stuff to every guitar after a couple of years. The finish was flawles except some scratches on the back. I think this finish will outlive me if I don't drop it or something. The bridge is a bit oxidized where the hand rests on it, but it isnt a problem yet. And now we come to the part I love most about it. It plays like a dream. The neck is a joy to play. I love thin necks, but the wizart is just a bit to thin for me, but this one is just perfect. it's a but thicker than wizard, but far from the Gibson logs they call necks. The set-in heel gives you superb acess to the upper frets, and playing chords it the easiest I have ever felt. All in all, it's is the best feeling guitar I have ever played, and I have played a Vintage Gibson. But because of that I give it a 10/10 // 10

Reliability & Durability: As long as you don't rip the neck off, it will withstand everything. I checked the conections and other stuff when I got it and it was still in top condition. Once tightened, the strap buttons could hold up a tank without failing, but I'm planing on getting some straplocks, since the original buttons are pretty small. The finish will probably outlive me, altough it does have a few scratches in the back, probably because of the rubbing on the belt buckle. I would use this guitar without a backup anytime. I haven't tested it on stage, but it handels practice sessions realy well. // 9

Overall Impression: As said above, I play mainly rock and blues music, and I'm most atracted to hard rock, trach metal and blues rock. This guitar suits my needs perfectly. I have been playing for about two and a half years and also own a RG550. This one was intended as my second guitar, but it's just so great I barely play the 550 anymore, except when I wanna fool around with the Floyd Rose. And that's not a lot. I don't regret buying it for a second. It looks good, has a great sound and feels even better. If I lost it I would probably try to find a higher end model from the SZ series, but if there wouldn't be any for a resnable price, I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I originaly wanted to get a HardTail Rhoads shaped v, but I couldnt find one in my price range. And I'm glad I didn't, because when I tried this, I fell in love with it instantly. I don't actualy wish that it had anything, altough another tone knob and some groover tuners would be nice. Note: if you decide to purchase this guitar or any other from the SZ series you would have to buy second hand, because as of 2008, the SZ series was replaced with the SZR series. I don't know how much of a difference there is betwen the two, but I think the SZRs have Ibanez Infinity pickups, wich are infinately worse than the Duncan/Ibanez, so I suggest an older SZ model. // 10

SZ320 Reviewed by: MarkXsama, on february 13, 2012

Price paid: € 250

Features: SIMPLICITY. First of all I want to say, that this is an awesome guitar, but you already know that for sure. They were built in 2003 till 2006. My Ibanez SZ320 BK was made in 2005 and has the Duncan Designed PUs, which, even if stock, sound fabulous. They are high output PUs and they really represent a competition for the overpriced ones. The best feature is SIMPLICITY. It has a full mahogany body and a 3pc neck. The standard brigde in sync with the string-through body concept produce a neverending sustain. Everything on my is original, like new. As a HH passive setup, it is very versatile. It's solid and everything stays in tune. It gets a 9, because there are better guitars in features, but it gets a 9 because it has the features it has for the buck. // 9

Sound: SUPERB. I'm playing it through a Roland Cube 20X as I am a indoorliving room player. Together with the little amp, which but produces much sound for an practise class B amp. If you're a fan of Heavy music or a smooth jazz and blues musician, than you wont miss by buying this baby. I play Three Days Grace, Seether, Steve Conte, Marty Friedman stuff. It gets the job done. Nice clean tones in the neck position, or middle or bridge. It sounds that great. It's got everything you need to rock out. I prefer Hard-rock and jazz over other music and I never played a better sounding guitar. ITS GOT A FEELING for sure. With DD PUS it makes a better job dona than you could ever imagine. It really depends on everything, not just the PUs. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: PLAYMATE. You want to play it all day long. Factory setup is ever so underestimated. In this case its a great workmanship. Not a single flaw, no loose strings, no problems with electronic and it seen some very bad days with my (falls, kicks, dog-bites...) It looks like new. The flamed maple top makes it indestructible, well, it wont let anything attack the wood. Endurable tank, that is what it is. // 10

Reliability & Durability: SOLID AS TANK. You could bust a stonewall with it. Its heavy duty, solid axe that would withstand any live plying and apocalyptical zombie attacks from hell. Prefer it over FRIENDS Gibson LP for ever. He paid 2500EUR, I paid for mine SZ 250, and you know hat? I beat it everytime with the sound, shape and comfortability of playing. BTW... Put a SD-SH4 and or a DiMarzio distortion type H in it and be ready to go... // 10

Overall Impression: BUY IT TILL they're STILL AVAILABLE. For the money (eBay makes them look like 70% sale off Squiers Bullet. It's better than a SG or other overrated, overpriced, overugly, overheavy, over-over something expensive guitars which sound like crap without the right amps and effects. You have a chance to buy it cheap? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING FOR... YOU GO BUY IT AND NEVER LOOK BACK... IT WILL KEEP YOU COMPANY, HMMMM... TILL DEATH. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG3EXFM1 8.1 Electric Guitars 08/20/2014