SZ720 Review

9.3
 8.9
reviews (5) pictures (2) 14 comments vote for this gear:
SZ720 Reviewed by: Vans2639, on july 08, 2005

Features: 3 piece SZ mahogany set neck, flamed maple top with mahogany back, abalone purfling around body and head, cool flame inlays, medium frets, Gilbralter III bridge, SZ1 neck and SZ2 bridge pickups, available in TG. Some might think this is overblown, but in person it's just plain sweet. // 10

Sound: I myself am more oriented to metal and enjoy to play a little bit of classic rock every now and then. Even with Ibanez's notorious reputation for being "the shredders choice," the SZ720 can easily growl and shrill in one song and then cry in the next. The Duncan/Ibanez pickups are an absolute plus to the sound. My SZ520 (which has the regular Ibanez pickups) sounds nasty on small amps and pretty good on larger amps with the right effects, but my 720 sounds crisp and loud on either size without much EQ adjusting. If you want something that is all around (jazzy, classy, heavy, deathly) and something that can get above the sound of the crowd, you would enjoy this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Other than dingy Ibanez factory strings, the guitar was very well manufactured. A quick restring with some Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys seemed to to the trick. // 10

Overall Impression: Because my style of play changes depending on how I feel, I needed a guitar that could stand my shredding and still be able to make BB King proud. If anything ever happened to it, I would definately buy another. It has been a perfect match for me, as well as my SZ520. The small frets/neck are perfect for my small hands and I would recommend either the SZ520 or SZ720 to anyone. If youve got the money (about 100$ more, not too much), get the SZ720. You wont be disappointed. // 10

SZ720 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 19, 2005

Purchased from: Trevor Davies music leominster

Sound: I play lots of styles of music and this guitar easaly covers all of them. It works well with both DigiTech and Zoom multi FX units as well as all Ibanez pedals I have used (chorus, fuzz, distortion, overdrive, ect). I have several amps I use this guitar through and it is most suited to fatter sounds produced by Marshall amps rather than the crisp high end of Fender amps, although sound is great through either. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this stuning blue axe from a local guitar shop, and was astonished with the quality, it is a solid mahogany body with alder quilted semi tranparent top. The surface is top quality although it dents quite easaly. The neck is set in giving the guitar a distinct expensive feel and sound, the sustain is second to none. The other hardware on this guitar are of the same high quality including the gibralta III bridge. The pickups are fantastic, there is a neck humbucker which produces a woddy mellow sound and a brige humbucker which produces a crisp powerfull sound, a three way selector swith chooses between the two. In the midle position the both pickups are used but only as single coil this makes the axe able to repoduce a Strat like sound, I think this guitar is very capable of produceing the types of sound that you would expect of a les paul and a Strat so an all round winner. The action fas fantastic straight from the shop and no further setting up was nececerry. The only mild iritation I have found is that the "strap buttons" come loose quite quickly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar suits my live sets perfectly, the hardware is all high quality solidly built, the srap buttons loosen quite quickly, but this guitar is very dependable. // 9

Overall Impression: Go play one, you will buy it! // 10

SZ720 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 23, 2006

Purchased from: music 123

Sound: The sound is flat out amazing. I can get pretty much anything from melting distortion to crystal cleans. It sounds nice, you could pretty much do anything with this guitar if you played around with it. Don't listen to people Who tell you Ibanez is for metal players only or Ibanez guitars can only sound metal, they've probably never picked up an Ibanez before. This baby does it all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything's good, except the input jack on the guitar has a tendancy to loosen up on mine which can be a pain because I have to tighten it up again all the time. The action is in one word, amazing. I've tried my friends' Jackson DKMG and RR5, as well as Gibson SG faded and Epiphone Les Pauls. This is one fast guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Apart from the input jack loosening up, everything else on this guitar is amazing. I've banged it a few times and it's come off with some small dents and scratches but even then, it still looks great. This guitar is dependable. Strong strap buttons. Beautiful finish though I've scratched it with my belt a few times. // 9

Overall Impression: I have a friend Who owns one of those Jackson DKMG's or whatever Strat-copies which cost basically the same as the SZ720. I've played it and compared to this guitar, it really sucks. Even he thinks so. There are a lot of people out there biased against Ibanez but don't let them scare you away from this guitar, they only think Ibanez guitars aren't good because they don't have the big names like Fender and Gibson guitars, my friend is like that. The truth is they're only looking for a guitar that'll make them look like a pro. If know what you're talking/playing about, and you're serious about getting a good guitar in this price range. There is no question of whether or not you should get this guitar. I've tried Fenders, Epiphones and Gibsons all in the same price range and I do my homework before I make a purchase. In the end I chose this guitar, because for the money, nothing else comes close. Would definitely buy again if it was stolen. // 10

SZ720 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 07, 2007

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

Features: The SZ720 is a no frills, nothing will go wrong, easy player but with distinctive looks, The string-thru body bridge, set thru neck, simple H/H pickup config and super Strat shape make it suitable for anything. The only thing I changed and would suggest everyone change are the pickups which lack defenition, I put a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF pro in the neck. If you are looking for an all arround do anything, won't mess up guitar, this is for you. // 9

Sound: From metal, classic rock and cleans, the H/H split pickup config in the chunky mahogany body can get anything. I have played this guitar through a Vox AC30/6TB which sounded very creamy and lush. The Peavey 6505 got high squeeling and chunky distortion no problems and the starfield does everything else. This guitar can do absolutly anything but as I said before, the pickups need changing for a nice high quality passive set for this JB/Jazz or the like. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The only changes I made to the guitar was the intonation and to adjust the pickup heights (while the pickups were stock). Apart from thoes two things the gutiar was set up perfectly from the shop. The finish is amazing, the see thru black flame however I am not a fan of abalone and this is always there shieing at me. The inlays are very different, I like them a lot, much more than the inlays on the new replacement for this guitar (SZ520 I think). // 7

Reliability & Durability: As this guitar has no fancy parts on it (mainly no floating trem) it doesnt't have much which can go wrong on it, the tuning is very stable and I trust this more than my other more expensive gutiars. I may be buying another if I can get my hands on it, or the new replacement model for some alternate tuneings as I am so impressed. // 9

Overall Impression: Since I started playing guitar 11 years ago I have had a lot of guitars, I don't think that any of them have shown the value of this one, the reliability and quailty in manufacture are amazing. If this guitar didn't have abalone it would be perfect in every way. This guitar comes in at the same price as a low end ESP/Jackson and Epiphone gutiars but to get a guitar which matches up to this you would need to spend a whole lot more, think ESP LTD H-1000 which is nearer the 1000 mark. I would definatly buy this guitar again if it was stolen, and as said abouve, I may be getting another anyway. For what it is, this guitar can't be beeten (price range, reliability, tone). // 10

SZ720 Reviewed by: rnodern, on january 15, 2014

Price paid: A$ 700

Purchased from: Allans Music

Features: Purchased in 2007. Manufactured in Korea in 2006.

Neck:

- Set-in Mahogany neck, Rosewood fretboard.
- Flame abalone inlays.
- Abalone binding around headstock.
- Cream binding down either side of neck.
- Chrome/nickel low profile tuners.
- 22 (medium) frets, 638mm/25.1" scale length.

Body:

- Mahogany body, "A"/"AA" Maple Flame top.
- Dark amber sunburst stain.
- String through, Gibraltar III bridge.
- "Chrome" pickup rings, Chrome hardware.
- Strat-esque shape. Mild (PRS SE -esque) arched top.
- Abalone body binding.
- 3-Way pickup selector switch
- 2x Volume pots (bridge, neck), 1x tone pot.

Pickups (passive):

- Neck - Seymour Duncan, Alnico 5 magnet, 8.13K DC resistance.
- Bridge - Seymour Duncan, Ceramic magnet, 17.08K DC resistance.

I'm rating this as an 8 as I would have liked to see the inclusion of a coil-tap, considering the construction and design decisions of the guitar. This would have made it a completely, all-rounded, versatile guitar. // 8

Sound: This guitar has very warm tones, thanks to the chosen humbuckers, solid body and neck join. However, it can be a little cloudy (think jazz-sounding guitars), especially in the low end, which IMO, is due to the neck join and solid body. That said, it makes it an exceptional sounding jazz/blues guitar. For cleans, you may want to use EQ in your signal chain to add brightness.

I enjoy playing heavy music. I generally have this guitar tuned to B with a set of 11's strings. The pickup gain is somewhere between medium and high, and absolutely screams with a valve amp, with little to no hum/buzz. Surprisingly, it also can easily achieve djent tones with very little EQ, however, it can have a certain duck honk sound. Overall, I would say that this guitar is suited for rock, metal, jazz and blues.

I run this guitar through two JetCity JCA50H heads and a Randall Stereo speaker cabinet. And my signal chain is:

Guitar/Before Preamps

Post Preamps/FX Loop

6) GT-6 in FX Loop for delays and time based effects
7) Boss Loop Station

Speaker Cabinet // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup perfectly when I pulled it out of the box. I'd classify it as a low action, but there is no string buzz or anything to speak of. The guitar needed no adjustments to electronics, bridge, nut, frets or pickup height. It looks impressive thanks to the maple flame and the fretboard inlays. The abalone inlays and binding is a really touch, too. The stain and finish are solid and shiny. It can polish up really well.

It is quite a heavy guitar due to the lack of a back cavity for tremolo/vibrato unit. Also, it only has a small electrics cavity just behind the input jack. I've never had to take it apart, so I'm not sure how that would work to say repair the jack or install new pickups. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is a VERY solid guitar. It's both weighty and oozes quality. I've only ever had it in a gig bag and hauled it around as a gig backup (for a PRS Custom 24). The strap buttons are solid and I've never had a strap slip off, even when violently throwing myself around the stage. However, it has had a couple of falls out of guitar stands, and being knocked when getting it out and putting it back into a guitar rack, but there are barely any dings. It also stays in tune really well. It will last you a long time! // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal/rock. I've been playing 22 years. I probably wouldn't get another if it were stolen or lost. Only because I have so many guitars. Furthermore the PRS SE models have picked up a but in terms of features and finish, and would probably buy one of those over this.

However, I love it's reliability. Along with a bit of string care, you can not play it for ages and count on it to play well when you pick it up again. It's incredibly durable, the pots don't crackle and are firm to adjust. The input jack is solid so the jack doesn't move around too much. It has a very low hum/buzz sound, great for high gain scenarios. The only thing I would say is that I wish it came with a coil tap to diversify the sounds you can achieve. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014