Talman TC420 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/26/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: Talman TC420
It has a solid basswood body with bolt-on maple neck/rosewood fretboard with dot inlays.
 8.1
 8.8
 7.3
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Talman TC420 Reviewed by: stonyman65, on july 26, 2007

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This guitar was made in the mid '90s in Korea, it has a solid basswood body with bolt-on maple neck/rosewood fretboard with dot inlays. 22 medium frets, 25.5 in scale, 12 inch radius, modified "Talman" body shape (Ibanez version of a Tele, I geuss) chrome green finish, Strat style 2 point tremolo, 2 Passave Ibanez Super 58 pickups with chrome covers, 3-way blade switch, master tone and volume controls. 3+3 Ibanez classic non-locking tuners. Came with a universal Vortex hardshell case. // 9

Sound: Sounds great. I play what ever I feel like and this fits most of it, the pickups have Vintage output so don't expect a powerhouse of sound like a Super Distortion or something, mostly classic Strat and Les Paul type sounds. the pickups have a nice little "pop" to them like and overwound Strat. I am using a Carvin MTS 3200 with a Boss DD6, Line 6 Uber Metal (great pedal by the way)and a Morley Bad Horsie Wah, great setup. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was fine with this one, almost mint condition and everything was set up pretty well. low action too, not as low as an RG or Jackson, but pretty low for a Strat type guitar, plays good too. barley any fret buzz at all. There was a tiny little ding in the neck but that will be gone after I sand off the sticky finish. // 8

Reliability & Durability: everything is fine with this guitar, even though it was made in Korea, it's built pretty well (as well as most Fenders) there is nothing that would make me think this wouldn't stand up when being put to the test. The only problem I have is the tuners which don't stay in tune for my style of playing (lots of bends)so I am going to replace them with Planet Waves Trim Locks, but besides that this thing is awesome! // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good match for all but the heaviest music, unless you put after market parts in it. I have been playing for nearly 5 years and I have a Jackson DK2+, US made Fender Strat, Ibanez RG/Jem555 Frankenstien and an Ibanez Talman TCM50VBS accoustic. amps are a Carvin MTS 3200, Roland Micro Cube and a Fender FM210R. Effects are various Boss pedals, Line 6 Uber metal and a Morley Bad Horsie Wha. I love this guitar, the finish and the sound, but most importantly the Body Shape. If I lost this somehow, I would do everything I can to get it back because these haven't been made since the mid 90's. I Wanted a Talman becuase I say Noodles of The Offspring play one and I love the shape and feel of these. With it had a better tremolo like a Wilkison or even a Floyd Rose but what it has now is good as long as you have locking tuners! // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014