VBT700 V-Blade Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 03/19/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: VBT700 V-Blade
Another incredibly styled guitar from the minds of the Ibanez designers. The Ibanez VBT700 is a killer cut. Pro appointments like the Wizard II neck and the Gibraltar custom bridge make this one a must have any musician looking for an edge. The DiMarzio pickups combined with the neck-thru design will give you nearly infinite sustain. Jumbo frets make playing a breeze with very little fatigue.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.2
 Features: 9.2
reviews (5) pictures (2) 39 comments vote for this gear:
VBT700 V-Blade Reviewed by: osiris-uk, on march 25, 2008

Features: Purchased the VBT w/white finish and black bindings. I play various V shaped axes and this one met most of my personal specs, especially the neck through design, jumbo frets and the passive DiMarzios D Activators. Overall, the axe contains a decent set of features for me. // 10

Sound: play fusion and battle metal for sport but know and appreciate many other styles of music. I tested the VBT through through my Krank Revolution loaded w/ 6L6's my Peavey Triple X loaded w/KT77s and my Marshall Mode 4. I had no gripes or difficulty obtaining the tones or sound I was trying to achieve. I purchased the axe the day before a gig and decided to pair the Krank with the VBT. I had no issues with feedback because I know how to gate properly, so that was not an issue Live. However, w/the selector Switch in the rear pickup position I had to tweak the tone control down a bit because it seem a bit "high endy" for me. Outstanding variations in tonal shapes to include superior cleans. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The rosewood fret board is smooth and definitely set for speed. All 24 frets can be accessed with ease. Action works well especially for staccato runs, sweep arpeggios and the like. Ibanez always excels in that department for sure. I credit the company for employing the D Activator pickups on the mahogany body because without em, the tone would not meet my specs. The bridge is awesome. I love the fact that it's adjustable by using a hex Tool to tweak it and tighten it down for dead on intonation, which by the way is easier and faster to zero than conventional systems. The decision to modify the machine heads with Sperzals was negated because the orgignals are good-to-go for now and work fine. I do take issue with the bindings. Attention to detail was not demonstrated here on a black one I was going to purchase and the one I did purchase (inconsistent i.e., slightly wavy striping). Come on Indonesia, raise the bar! // 8

Reliability & Durability: The axe stood up to the first gig with no problem. I use it for several tunes and pick up several other Vs during a show, so it works just fine for what I use it for. OBTW, the company I bought the axe from didn't have a case for it, so I purchased a Gibson V case instead. I modified the case so the wings would make it in the case and added foam to the bottom of the body portion for stability. I was offered a Coffin Case but declined because their so freakin huge to the point of ridiculous. Cases are getting hard to come by for the VBT since production has ceased. I also modified the rear strap position on the axe as I do with all my Vs but care should be taken here when drilling the hole in the v portion of the VBT body due to routing of the pick selector wire. This is where I give the company an 8 regarding construction. All companies should know by now to put the rear strap hole in the middle of the v wing for better and equal strap positioning and body hang. Shame on all of 'em! Other than the aforementioned, durability is decent. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 20 years and own every V shaped model there is. I will continue to collect and play em as long as I can. The VBT700 is a great guitar for the price and I welcome it into my arsenal. It plays as good and in some cases better than some of the other Vs I own. To bad production was ceased on this model but hopefully Ibanez will canvas the reviews here and elsewhere to highly consider production on a more advanced model soon. // 6

VBT700 V-Blade Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 26, 2008

Features: I bought my Ibanez VBT700 about a month ago from Guitar Center. I bought it in black with white binding. The guitar is awesome. It has a 24 fret Wizard II neck. The guitar is string thru and neck thru so the sustain is great. The bridge is a Gibraltar custom bridge. The pickups are DiMarzio D-Activators and sound amazing, even compared to active pickups. There is one volume knob and one tone knob and a three-way pickup selector. // 9

Sound: I play everything from classic rock like ACDC and Guns N' Roses to Metallica and Pantera to modern metal like Killswitch Engage, Lamb Of God, etc. I have played with the guitar in most everything from Standard tuning down to Drop C and have never had any problems. The guitar fits my music style well and sounds amazing. The D-Activators were definitely a motivating factor for me getting this guitar, and they are impressive. The guitar can handle almost any style of music I've thrown at it. I am currently playing through a Line 6 Spider III 30-watt amp and the guitar sounds wonderful. I played the guitar through several amps at Guitar Center including many high-end models and it sounded great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I picked up the guitar there was some fret buzz, but a slight truss rod adjustment eliminated that problem. Besides that, everything was set up very well at the factory. The pickups didn't need any adjustment and the knobs, tuners, and Switch all worked fine. There were no scratches or blemishes on the guitar, and there are still very few, even though I've bumped the guitar into the wall and my computer desk many many times. The headstock seems invincible, since I've hit it on the wall hard several times and there are no marks whatsoever. All of the electronics work flawlessly as well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used the guitar to play live, but I have played it for several hours a day every day for a month and have had no problems with it. I have no doubt that the guitar could withstand Live playing. The hardware is great and I've seen no problems with it. The strap buttons are solid, although the back strap button could be relocated to a better position. I would always have a backup guitar when playing live, but I don't think I would have to worry. This guitar is solid. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said, I play mainly metal and this guitar meets my needs hands down. I have been playing for about two and a half years. This is my third guitar and by far my favorite. Before purchasing it I would definitely recommend that you play it first. It is difficult to play sitting down, but since I am always standing it doesn't bother me at all. If it were stolen I would cry because I couldn't afford to replace it, but I would definitely buy another as soon as possible. I researched many guitars in this price range for a few months before buying this one and played them all before finally settling on this one. It was a great purchase and I have no regrets. I definitely recommend this guitar to anyone looking for an amazing guitar at an affordable price. Don't let the fact that it has been discontinued discourage you, it is still an amazing instrument. // 10

VBT700 V-Blade Reviewed by: .starrk, on august 12, 2008

Features: I bought this guitar from Guitar Center in February. It is black with white binding, has a 24 fret Wizard II neck (feels great), and a Gibraltar custom bridge. The guitar comes stock with DiMarzio D-Activator humbuckers in the neck and bridge, which are some of the best passive pickups I've ever used. The V-Shape looks great, and the guitar is very comfortable to play. It has one volume and one tone knob, and a 3-way pickup selector. // 9

Sound: My influences range from classic rock to modern metal. I mostly play stuff ranging from Lamb Of God and Metallica to Dream Theater and Opeth. The guitar has met all of my needs so far. I originally played the guitar through a Peavey 5150 combo, but have since played it through many amps. It sounds great every time. I have never heard any unwanted noise come from the guitar. I am not a huge fan of active pickups, so I was happy that the D-Activators sounded so good. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got the guitar set up the same day I bought it, so I can't say too much about the factory set up. However, with it set up, I have never had any trouble with the amp. It sounds great, and looks great as well. The guitar had one minor scratch on the back when I bought it, but nothing major. All of the tuners and electronics are secure, and have remained secure since the first day. The finish on the guitar is pretty nice. I've knocked it around a bit and still no damage that is noticeable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have only ever used the guitar live once, and it performed perfectly. The hardware seems solid, and everything appears to withstand damage well. The strap buttons never failed me, although I eventually replaced them with strap locks. I don't think I have to worry about the guitar too much. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of music, ranging from all out heavy metal to mellow progressive rock. The guitar has satisfied me across all areas. I have been playing for about three years now, and this guitar is the best I've ever owned. I also own a few other cheaper Ibanezes, and this guitar blows them completely out of the water. The only thing I have come to dislike about the guitar is that it is a little top-heavy, but I've gotten used to it. The guitar has been stolen once and, although it was later returned to me, I fully intended to buy another to replace it. It is a great guitar, and I wouldn't give it up for anything. The only thing I'd want to add would be a separate volume for each pickup. Otherwise, I recommend this guitar to anyone. // 10

VBT700 V-Blade Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 10, 2010

Features: This guitar has some good Standard features; it has DiMarzio humbuckers which are great, 24 frets which are really easy to play on, black finish with a whitish lining, shark fin inlays, made in Indonesia, neck-thru, Ok tuners, one volume control and one tone control, string thru body. Really good stuff. But not the best. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal/rock/punk/alternative. I like Metallica, Slayer, Pink Floyd, Blink 182, Sum 41, Pantera, and As Blood Runs Black. This V can play it all. The clean tone is amazing, even on my Raven rg20 amp, and when I put on my Dunlop Kirk Hammett sig wah pedal it sounds even greater. The distortion is awesome too on this guitar, I have a Boss MT-2 metal zone and this guitar is perfect for it. Right now the tuning I'm on is half step, on this I go D#, D, and C#. I use the coated Ernie Ball strings and also the sound range/tone range of this V is incredible. I play with the toggle Switch on treble and the tone and volume maxed and its beautiful! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar at a local shop, and I have no idea if it was used or new, there's no scratches so I assume new. Everything was set up correctly and I never had to mess w/ anything. The black finish picks up finger prints easily but that can be fixed with any cloth. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I never played live yet but I'm hoping to start a band and play at the battle of the bands in my highschool. Playing on the amp is great-and its a 20 watt! I've taken great care of this V and my les paul, but I've bumped it a few times on my wall switching between my 2 rooms, but it never left a mark... The things a tank. The paint isn't scratched or chipping and that's good. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is Amazing. I've only been playing for about a year, but I can play every slayer/metallica song without error and this guitar can do it. She stays in tune good and I'm impressed with the sound quality on my mt-2 and Dunlop KH wah. In the near future when my band is well known I'm going to stop collecting old lighters/zippos and start collecting these(discontinued due to lawsuit) if somebody stole this I'd backtrace him and beat him until he admits he done goofed. And then I'd post on /b/. I'm going to get another and paint a blue slayer logo on it, since my first one has a red metallica logo on it. I'm going to put EMG 81/85s in it and put a Floyd Rose tremolo in it. Reverse the headstock and headbang until even kerry king would tell me to stop. The only thing I hate is that the frets accumulate alot of gunk and I don't have anything to clean it with:( when I get my ESP Kirk Hammett KH-202 guitar I'm still going to play this. When I get a job I'm going to get a Marshall amp with the kerry king cab and a kirk hammett sig Randall amp and plug the vbt into the kkv amp and the KH-202 into the randall. I'm always going to have a extra vbt in my 1970 plymouth roadrunner when I get it. Oh this guitar makes me dream. I'd rate it 9, 001 out of 10. Its made for metal and that's what my band will be playing on stage and this guitar in my hand. Look out for a band named either Fallen or In dying days. // 10

VBT700 V-Blade Reviewed by: LeoKisomma, on march 19, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Okay, this guitar was made by Ibanez round about the year 2008 or somewhere close, but it is now a rare guitar as production of it was canceled a few years ago. This guitar has a 24 fret fret-board that appears to be made of rosewood to me. This guitar is quite light for a guitar of it's size, especially considering it's unusual shape. It has a fixed Ibanez Gibraltar bridge with a string-thru-body style setup, body style is Flying V (obviously), there are two dials for the volumes of the two pickups and one shared master tone dial. Pickups are passive, but were specifically designed to outcompete active pickups. They are called DiMarzio D-Activators and are probably some of the most powerful pickups on the market today. These pickups are also installed on the Ibanez Xiphos XT700 and the Ibanez Destroyer DDT700. Tuners are non-locking from what I can tell but seem to be very good at keeping this guitar in tune. The alan keys required were included when I bought it along with a case, which was a real find considering this guitar isn't made anymore. I would say that looking at the features you get on this guitar, it's very hard to see why it was removed from production. // 10

Sound: This guitar is capable of smooth blues, jazz, classical and funk and I have tried all these style to be sure of it. However, the sheer output of these pickups really shines when you play Classic Rock and heavy metal. The sustain that you can get from these pickups is phenomenal. I have used it through a Blackstar HT Club 40 and a Boss ME-50 multi-effects board and it sounds just right for my needs. There is no unwanted noise that I can find as of yet. What you really want to know though is how it would sound for you. Well, this guitar has a very good high range and a very good mid-range, but because it doesn't have as much wood-mass as say the DDT700, it doesn't have as much low end as some guitars. This thing sounds wonderfully sharp and I would recommend it for any lead guitarist out there, but if you are a rhythm guitarist you may want to double check you options unless you have a seriously thick-sounding amplifier. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action fit and finish were all very welll setup when bought this, the pickups were at their correct height and the bridge was set just right as well. Because I had to change the gauge of strings on it I had to adjust the truss rod to compensate, but this is a fact of life for every single guitar on sale today. It responded immediately and I have had no problems with how it feels to play since then. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The finish on this thing is very good. Because it's painted white, sweat-marks don't show up when you're playing live. Hardware and finish have stood up well to live playing, as in I can't see live performance having any real effect on them. This guitar is definitely dependable, but you should always bring a backup guitar just in case something goes wrong. There has been no issues with ant metal components that I can see. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, I play mostly Rock and Heavy metal, but I do play quite a lot of blues, neo-classical and Jazz-based music as well, so having a guitar that just does metal sounds isn't an option for me. That's why I don't regret buying this guitar. I actually didn't buy is per say, but actually traded in my old Schecter V-1 Hellraiser for it. That's how much I liked this guitar. I have been playing live for about 3 years now, and I can safely say that this guitar is a piece of equipment that most of the people that I've met will want to own. If it was stolen, I wouldn't be able to get another, as there are precious few of them around anyway. I think that the reason this guitar was taken out of production is actually because of the way it looks. Most of Ibanez's usual customers want guitars that like like the RG or the 'superstrat' design. Obviously there are the Mick Thompson signature guitars, but this V-Blade may have just come across as a bit too flashy. I think i's a real shame, because as guitars go this is a must-have. There are very few guitar that are this sharp, and that feel this good to play. If you find one of these guitars in a shop window, then I urge you to go inside and ask to play it, because if another guys spots it before you, it won't be there for long. These thing now go for about 1500 on Ebay, whereas their price from Ibanez originally was about 700. But personally, I think that 700 is very cheap for what you are actually getting. If it's between this and a Gibson Black Beauty, this wins every single time. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014