XP300FX Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 08/19/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: XP300FX
All the features of this guitar are excellent. This guitar is perfect for the Rock/Metal Guitarist who wants a beautiful shaped body and easy playability.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 6.7
reviews (3) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
XP300FX Reviewed by: joshmallow, on april 04, 2012

Purchased from: Second hand

Features: All the features of this guitar are excellent in my opinion, simply because they suit my playing style of Rock/Metal. Year made: Unknown. Frets: 24 Jumbo Rosewood fretboard. Fixed bridge. Body shape is very similar to a Jackson Warrior. // 8

Sound: The sound out of this guitar is perfect for my playing style of Rock/Metal. The stock pickups are very responsive to the dynamics of all sort of different genres but mainly heavier distorted playing. I currently using it with a Laney HCM60R and a Behringer noise suppressor running through to cut down the amps hiss (which all amps do at high volumes with alot of gain) and it seems to me that this guitar was just made for bone crushing gain and distortion. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the guitars neck is very fast yet easy to work with regardless of if you are actually playing a fast song or a slow blues jam. The pick ups are adjusted perfectly for me but maybe that's because I bought it second hand off another guitarist who played the same style as me. The flaw it had when I got it was a small dink near the volume nob, but that doesn't affect the tone or playability in any way whatsoever so I didn't care. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've already gigged once with it and I have to say I was impressed at how well it took the beating of being hauled around in the air for a solid hour and a half with no problems. I've only had it about a month or so but giving how I'm an Ibanez guy anyways, I think that it will last a brave bit longer than a couple of months. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for the Rock/Metal Guitarist who wants a beautiful shaped body and easy playability. I have been playing on and off for I don't even know how long and I have used many different guitars and amps and this guitar really has set the bar high for what I have played with. If it were lost or stolen I would get it again but giving the current economic climate I highly doubt I will even let this badboy outa my sight if I though something was gonna happen to it. // 8

XP300FX Reviewed by: MetalSaint, on october 10, 2012

Purchased from: From a dear friend.

Features: As I know it was released in 2009. It was made in Indonesia. 24 Frets (Jumbo frets). Wizard III Neck, 25 Scales. Solid-Top. Body wood: Mahogany body. Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood. Thru-body stringing of hard tail models enhance more sustain, tighter tension and superior articulation. It's a Xiphos model. XP300FX. It's got an Ibanez Fixed Bridge. Active pickups. Master Volume, One tone control. 3-way switcher. It's got INFINITY 4 in the bridge position and INFINITY 3 in the neck position. And I like the sounds of it. Non-Locking Tunings. I got it with Case, Caple, Strap. // 10

Sound: It's good for Metal and rock. I use Peavey Vypyr 15-Watt. It's not noisy. The sounds is very good for lead or rhythm guitar. And It's good for beginners too! I started with it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was good! The guitar was used for a year! Before I got it! And the strings lasted all the years! Also with 4 months when I got it! I actually replaced the strings because the 1th was was not good! But other strings wow! The guitar don't have any flaws. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's with stand live and you can play it while sitting! It's so comfortable live or just sitting on a chair or even a sofa! Yes! The hardware! Seems to last long. Strap normal white strap. Nothing special. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal. It is a good match. I'm still learning through. I have also a Yamaha 310. No. The guitar satisfied me. I probably get a new one! Because its good to get another guitar! Because you can't stick to a guitar forever! Even if its so good. I did. The only thing I want to replace from this guitar. Is the pickups. They are good! But not good enough like the EMG!. I wish it had the EMG 81 and EMG 85 pickups. // 10

XP300FX Reviewed by: Brisinger987, on august 19, 2013

Purchased from: Rock Hard Music

Features: The guitar was built (according to serial number) in June 2009, Indonesia, marked I for Cor-Tek. It is worth noting that it sat on the shelf until Easter of 2013, and it needed no more than a ten minute check of set up, so well done to Rock Hard for keeping it in good condition. 24 frets, 25-1/2" scale length, jumbo frets. Rosewood finger board on maple neck. Solid top mahogany body, gloss red finish (Yes, I got a red one. It is gorgeous in my opinion). The body shape is akin to a Jackson Warrior, although it can feel somewhat like an Explorer shape occasionally. The bridge is a fixed hardtail, looks and plays like a normal Strat style trem, just bolted down for stability. Passive electronics setup, 1 tone, 1 volume, 3 way pickup selector. The pickups are stock Ibanez Infinity 3 Neck, Infinity 4 bridge, and they are good. Non locking stock Ibanez tuners. My XP300 came with gig bag, cloth, strap, cable, Allen keys for the bridge saddles and tuner, most of which I use as backups, although they are all good quality, but not amazing. Just durable and useful. // 8

Sound: It suits mostly rock or heavy metal stylings, and lends itself well to making good, crunchy distorted sounds, and this, for me, is good. I play it through my small 25 watt Peavey Backstage 2 amplifier, with the amp's built in distortion, and I still get a clear sound out of it. It will let you play most music though, but it does hum on my amp, even at low volumes, and there is slight fret buzz, although that is down to my own negligence, and is not something the guitar falls prey to easily as it is not at all heard through any amp settings. It does have a rather dull sounding neck pickup, and that will be changing soon, because despite my rhythm guitar playing I still use my bridge pickup for sound, because the neck sounds rather toneless if I am honest. The guitar also seems to have trouble sounding muted notes, like those in "Smells Like Teen Spirit," which makes some songs sound strange to play. But all in all, it sounds pretty nice, even with my little starter amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The actual guitar itself was set up by the people at the shop who sold me it. However, it had been sat on the shelf for 4 years, so that was to be expected because of the nature of being a guitar, it went out of tune, strings needed replacing, the bridge and truss rod needed adjusting, the bridge had to be readjusted, so it was by no means factory set up. I don't know if the pickups were adjusted, so no comment there, but the set up from Rock Hard gave me perfect action for my sort of music, and the guitar itself has no flaws whatsoever. This is the only thing I can say 10 on really, but I can't comment on how it used to be, because after 4 years of shelf life, it must have needed a new set up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played live with it, and it was brilliant. I went to the gig with two guitars, and came back with two perfectly kept guitars. Sure the strings took a thrashing but playing Slipknot does that to guitar strings. The strap buttons, while appearing rather I'll placed, work well, and because I play with an Ibanez strap, now that I put the strap on, I can't get the bugger off, it's that good a fit. They've never once given out, and the hardware with withstand a gig very well, so I was very impressed with it. Can't fault it for gigs. I would bring a backup to ANY gig, but I wouldn't be too worried if this was my only guitar at a gig. The finish is thick and durable, so I would say yeah to playing a huge, energetic gig with it, and it has no scratches. Only fault is that I can't get the strap off the guitar, which is annoying. // 8

Overall Impression: It definitely plays well for the money I paid, and the style of music I play. It is a good Heavy Metal guitar for the price, and Ibanez made a good product when making this. It may not be a Gibson USA Explorer, but it certainly has my vote for best exotic guitar shape for under 400. I've been playing for 6 years now, and I only own one other electric, a Peavey Raptor EXP Plus, my first ever guitar, and this is only my second. However I have been lucky enough to play guitars from Schecter and Gibson and can honestly say I love this guitar. I personally prefer to play it over an Explorer or Les Paul. If it were stolen, I would definitely look at getting something similar or better, possibly try and find another fixed bridge Xiphos from Ibanez, or another XP300. Best feature has to be the quality of the bridge pickup, it is outstanding, however, the neck pickup needs a lot of improvement and I am seriously considering forking out for a set of new pickups because of it. I understand that it may not be perfect because of a long time on the shelf, but it is an unplayable pickup for me. Only improvements, better pickups, because that is the main failing point, the neck pickup. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014