XPT700 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 12/11/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: XPT700
In 2007, Ibanez has got more than ever before with new and different forms of the X and V designs as well as new shapes and colors not of this earth.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 9.3
 9.1
 9.4
 8.7
reviews (17) pictures (4) 122 comments vote for this gear:
XPT700 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 10, 2007

Features: For the price of the guitar itself, I also got the custom solid hard case, tools, a cable and other things. I got the red chameleon and it is beautiful. It has a reverse headstock, Edge III (which I am not so fond of, it is NO Floyd Rose), DiMarzio DeActivator pickups, reverse sharktooth fret inlays, etc. The hardware on this guitar is an unusual color. It appears chrome, but it has like a dark grayish color. It's hard to explain, but they look awesome. // 10

Sound: The sound is incredible. The pickups are amazing. I like to play things like Cannibal Corpse and other death metal, and this plays incredibly. I absolutely hate my amp's tone. With all my other guitars, the lows are too weak for me. But I hate the tone less with this guitar. With a decent amp, this is will have crushing lows and screaming highs. The neckthrough design gives this thing amazing sustain and the pickups are just orgasmic. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where I need to put in a little negativity. I will eventually have to get this set up. I had to set the action pretty high in order to avoid fret buzz. A professional set up will fix this however. The paint is amazing however. I also dislike the Edge III. IT simply is not comparable to the Floyd Rose. It is really difficult to keep it in tune. However, once again, a professional set up can fix this as well. I remember having trouble like this even with my Jackson with a Floyd on it. After a set up, the tremolo will keep it in tune much better. Also, the strap holders are very poorly placed. With a power drill, I replaced them, and it is fine now. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems to be a very solid guitar. I have accidentally hit it against desks a few times, and I don't have one ding on here. Playing it just feels like the thing is unbreakable. I don't play Live. I have only been playing for 2 years, but if I were to play Live, I would definitely use this guitar. Just look at Muhammad from Necrophagist. Although, his Xiphos has a Floyd Rose and EMG pickups. // 10

Overall Impression: The first time I saw this guitar, I knew I wanted it. Like I said before, I play metal, and this thing looks and sounds great for this genre. My amp is a Crate, model number FXT65. 65 Watts with effects and other stuff. I hate my amp's lows. Even with this amp, I can pull pretty decent lows with this amp. I am going to end up replacing this amp, and when I do, the sound will be incredible. If I were to lose it, I would be devastated. Being only 17 and having no job (yet), I would not be able to afford a new one. It took me too long to save up for the first one as it is. I wouldn't buy a new one, but I would want to like hell. I do wish it have a Floyd Rose, but other than that, I won't complain about any of the features. // 9

XPT700 Reviewed by: CaptainOfSmug, on august 20, 2007

Features: Well, I recently purchased the Xiphos and I am thrilled about it's performance. It has been released either early 2007 or late 2006 I beleive. There is a total of 24 frets and a 25.5" scale which is a very nice feature in my opinion. The guitar itself is made out of maple/walnut 5-ply neck. The finish is one of the more noticable features. It reminds me of almost pearlalescent paint that you see on cars. Which, basically changes colors depending on the light and angle you're seeing the guitar at. The bridge is an Edge III tremolo. The electronics come stock as passive but I plan to soon changes my pickups too active EMG's but that is just my personal preference. I think the DiMarzio Pickups sound great actually though. The Controls that are given is a Volume knob, tone knob, and a 3 way selector. The Tuner is a locking nut, which at times can be a hassel, but I've never gotten out of tune with it yet. // 9

Sound: For me personally, I'm a metal head. Wheather it being playing death, black, melodeath, or metalcore. It suits my playing needs very well and wow, the tone I can pull of is excellent. Not to mention it just looks metal not a big positive because I couldl really care less, but still it adds to some effect I beleive. From what I've heard it's not to noisy and has a rich sound. The guitar itself I beleive plays best mixed with heavy distortion and high gain. But when I play some progressions on a clean setting it doesn't sound bad at all. I'd have to say this is the best guitar I've ever done whammy harmonics on, I can literally hold that scream for 7 seconds, which I'd really never need to do, but it's a nice feature. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very nicely at the factory, the action was a tad to high to what I like, but it's not a big deal to me. From what I can tell the pickups were adjusted properly, but I can't really say either way because I havn't had the chance to mess around with them yet. Overall it was set up very nicely from the store. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well, I can't really say about the reliability and durability of thsi guitar being I havn't owned it quite long enought to say. The hardware seems like it will last and if it doesn't I wouldn't mind paying for this sweet thing to get repaired. From what I can tell the strap buttons are solid unlike my other guitar which I'm constantly trying to catch as it falls to the ground. As far as if I can depend on it I would definatly gig with it. However, I always bring a backup just in case, plus the songs I play come are in a few different tunings so I need a backup. I'm really hoping the finsih will last long into the future, mostly because this is a pretty big selling point of the guitar and a lot of hardwork was put into the making of it. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said previously, I play metal. I strongly beleive this is a great match for me. I don't' plan on buying another guitar for a long time so I felt that I had to pick something that I wouldn't get bored of and had a bunch of versatility. And the Xiphos, I felt, was the one for me. If I lost it I would definatly get another one, I just like this guitar so much and the fretboard is quick. One of my favorite features of this guitar is the whammy harmonics for one, but what I really like is the sweeping ability. This is partly because I love the Ibanez necks and with this guitar you can easily reach the upper frets and sweep your mind out and solo like there is no tomorrow. Overall, this is my favorite guitar out of my collection and if you're into metal this is a great guitar for a great price. // 10

XPT700 Reviewed by: SenorBill, on july 09, 2007

Features: Let me start off by noting that this is one beautiful guitar, and one would be inclined to buy it just from looking at the finish alone. The guitar comes in two finishes: Red Chameleon and Blue Chameleon, both of which change colors depending on the viewing angle. I personally bought the Red Chameleon, which changes from a deep green to dark red as you rotate the guitar. This guitar is an all-out metal guitar, so it has all the features any metal player could expect: neck-through, an Edge III locking tremolo, 24 frets, a maple/walnut neck, and a mahogany body shaped somewhat like a cross between a Jackson Warrior and a Dean Razorback. As far as electronics go, the guitar's two humbuckers are passive but were specially designed by Dimarzio to reproduce the sound of an active pickup. One volume knob and one tone knob, along with a three way Switch, control the pickups. Ibanez also recently started throwing in the case along with the guitar price, making this guitar a great deal. // 9

Sound: I am primarily a metal player, although I do like to play classic rock and love to do some blues soloing here and there. Obviously, the Xiphos was created as a metal guitar, and in this area it definitely delivers. At first I was a bit disappointed at the lack of true active pickups, but as soon as I tried playing a few quick death metal riffs I could tell that Ibanez had accomplished incredible things with these passive pickups. Every note rings out loud and clear and the bottom string does not drown out any other strings. The same goes for soloing: every note is articulate and defined, and no notes will become drowned out. Chug-a-chug patterns sound great on this guitar as well. The Edge III locking trem allows for even more tonal capabilites, so metal guitarists everywhere can divebomb away and also hit those notes that lie somewhat above the 24th fret. I am running this through a solid state Crate 2X12", which is an amp that has some pretty satisfying distorion, especially for a solid state. I can only imagine what the Xiphos would sound like when plugged into a Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier, or a Diezel or Krank half stack. But I just barely got a job, so give me a break. It sounds impressive enough through my combo amp. I also have a Korg Toneworks multi-effect processor, and the Xiphos plays nice with this as well. Altogether I believe that this guitar's sound will satisfy any metal player. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Let me get the one negative aspect of the factory setup out of the way early so I can blather on about how great this guitar is for the remainder of this review. The strap buttons on the body are in a very awkward place right out of the factory, and as a result, the guitar is going to fit oddly when you throw it on. If you are any good with using an electric drill, this is no problem, since the strap button issue can easily be fixed by moving the right button further up towards the neck. This will bring the neck up farther and make for a much more comfertable playing experience. I rated the Xiphos an 8 in this category just because the odd fitting of the guitar initially worried the hell out of me until I sat down and figured out the problem. Besides that, I can find nothing to complain about. The action is nice and low so the guitar plays very fast, but the action wasn't lowered to the point of string buzz. The trem bar adjustments might be in an unusual location for some people. Pry up the bridge using the trem bar and you'll notice a little set screw that adjusts how freely the arm rotates, and another screw in the back of the guitar will adjust the bar height. The finish is perfect, the frets are all in order, and all around some great workmanship went into making this guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a very solid guitar, and I would definitely take it to a gig to show off to the crowd. It would be a shame to keep a guitar like this hidden away exclusively in the studio, never to see the light of day. Take it out and awe the crowd. I wouldn't even go to a gig without a backup, but that's just me. I don't see anything going wrong with this guitar anytime soon, but sometimes things just break. As far as the finish goes, I haven't played it long enough to be able to say if the finish will wear off, but I can confidently say that the guitar will stay together and play just as well day after day. // 10

Overall Impression: For a metalhead like me, this guitar is great. The kind of palm muting techniques involved in several types of metal don't become muddy and incoherent as on some other guitars. And don't get me wrong. Just because it's good for metal doesn't mean everything else sounds awful on this guitar. YYZ by Rush and Moby Dick by Zeppelin don't sound have bad on the Xiphos either. I've been playing for a year and seven months now, with about six years of background as a keyboard player prior to my picking up a guitar. I also own a Gibson Faded SG that I'm planning on using just for a more classic rock kind of guitar while I use the Xiphos for death metal kind of stuff. While I was searching for my new metal guitar, I also tested out several Schecters that didn't incredibly impress me, and some ESPs that played just as nicely as the Xiphos. I decided to go with the Xiphos, however, based on the overall look of the guitar, and the great deal for a guitar of it's caliber. If my Xiphos were stolen, I would be angry, but you couldn't really blame the guy who stole it. I mean, hell, it's a nice looking guitar. And yes, I would go buy a new one. This guitar has everything I want, and I couldn't really ask for anything more, because that would just be getting greedy. // 10

XPT700 Reviewed by: Metallicachris, on may 21, 2009

Purchased from: Østfold Musikk

Features: Many metal guitarists, as me, have always loved the Ibanez-guitars. It is the fast playability it has, their flat fretboards and of course their loving double-locking tremolos. As Ibanez wanted to expand their attraction towards metalists, they needed a look that attracted them. After their success with the "Iceman" guitar they wanted to do something outrageous. They produced the new Xiphos. It was built especially for hardcore and metal players, and the name was taken from the double-edged sword used by Greek and Spartan soldiers, as the form is the same. The Xiphos guitars are the fastest ones in the armory of Ibanez, and they selected DiMarzio D Activator pickups to get a really demonical edge. To get the comfort which the Ibanez guitars are known for, they built the guitar around a five-piece maple Wizard II neck-through design. This centerpiece is extremely hard, and as the bridge is mounted to the very same plank, the note definition and clarity are pushed to the limit. The rest of this raw X-shaped guitar is made from mahogany which adds a little more depth to it's maple core. Although the guitar looks heavy-weighted and hard to balance, the Ibanez factory has done it wonderfull. The guitar is easy to handle, and fit's nice either you stand, sits, run, headbang or are going for a stagedive. The X-shape is also bringing a lot of comfort when sitting and playing as well. You can either use it as a V-guitar, with it's bottom's two devil horn on each side of your leg, or as a regular one tilted on the side. This Ibanez XPT700 Red Chameleon have a unique color. To get the feel of having a extra ordinary piece of instrument they chose to cover it with a sparkling color-shifting paint they named Chameleon finish. As you move, or redirect the lights, the finish quickly change it's colors which can be everything from the darkest red and brownish, to a lighter green and almost yellowish. It is a must-see! If we then move up the neck, we can feel that it is very thin and nice to handle. And due to this you maybe thinking it is squared, but it's not! it's somewhat rounded feel is enhanced by the thick chameleon finish. The flat fretboard and jumbo frets produces Ibanez's trademark feel, and there are easy to sound a tone without needing to press too hard. Myself I do a lot of twohanded playing, and is very aware of this, and I personally think that Ibanez could have made this guitar even a little more sensitive when tapping on the neck. Anyways, it is easy and reliable when it comes to play fast and sweeping through the strings. The Xiphos features Ibanez's Edge III double-locking tremolo. It had (the time it was made) the most advanced Floyd Rose-derived bridges, and is totally okey when it comes to tuning adjustment. Nowadays Ibanez has come up with a new system which is working much smoother when tuning, it's just a shame they didn't do it earlier so that this fine guitar could have a piece of it too. But for the use of whammy techniques, you are capeable to do whatever you want and it still stays stable for a pretty long time. But in very long-lasting use, at for example a unnormal long gig, you may get some problems as I have had. They will not get any major, just that you may need to tune back the guitar a slightly bit. This Ibanez was one of the first production guitars to feature DiMarzio's new D Activator pickups as original equipment. They are passive, but do deliver the pretty much same resonant peaks, long sustain and tantalizing harmonics found in the best active pickups. When trying to get the jack into the guitar, you may get some problems in the start. Because of the shape, Ibanez covered the hole some centimeters inside the guitar. This can be frustrating from time to time, but after a little while you get to know it (As my father said: You must know the hole before sticking jack in). The guitar are given only three controls. One volumeknob, one toneknob and a toggle Switch with the Standard 3 ways to toggle (neck, center, bridge). There are no accessories included when buying this guitar, except the basic keys and parts and shit. The biggest problem I have had has been getting a bag. First I had a hell of a big case, which was not easy to transport, then I went for a Explorer-bag which works just fine. Or else you have to pay a ****ing lot! // 8

Sound: As mentioned earlier, this is a guitar for metalists and hardrockers. It gives an amazingly heavy sound with the drop D and drop C tuning, which I have been a fan of playing after I got this. Myself I use a Hughes & Kettner Warp 6 amplifier and get the heaviest and deepest tone I have ever had. it's thick, raw and brutal sound will knock the shit out of you and you can really feel the soundwaves hammering at your chest. An unbelievable experience I had never waited from this combination. It was a huge step when I for my first time plugged out my Fender (yeah, yeah) and inserted the jack into the covered hole of the XPT700. I have also heard people getting a Zakk-like tone from plugging it into a Marshall JVM. What is special with the sound from my combination is that at the same time as I get a pretty noisy, heavy sound, you can here every single tone when playing very fast. It's like when you tap, and sweep up and down the strings, you get a clearer sound, which is very pleasant. Suddenly one day I was keen on trying my guitar as a clean, calm, maybe Acoustic one. I got surprised. My expectation wasn't very high, as I thought of it as only a metal guitar with noisy, thick sound. So I plugged in, switched over to clean mode and played some ballads. After a little knob-turning on the amp and the weapon I reached some nice sounds. I easily got a metallic, clear sound, and with just adjusting the Ibanez, I could get a warm, calm Acoustic sound, which didn't actually fit the guitar-look at all, but it was amazing. When it comes to the pickups, I was a little skeptic as I stood in the shop looking at it. They were passive! Why shouldn't I? After a little try my concerns were drowned. As I mentioned earlier, DiMarzio's D Activator delivers a tone that's extremely similar to the best active pickups you can get. The same resonant peaks, long sustain and tantalizing harmonics. As passive, they also have a tone that's organic with a natural response, which all together makes a fabulous overall sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There isn't much to say about this guitar when it comes to this. I just noticed that after a little time, I got detuned very often. I headed down to the shop where I bought it, and we found out that the strings had become a little too close to the neck. We adjusted them back out abit, I tried, we adjusted them in, and we got a perfect balance on it, and I have never had any problems with it after that. The switching system for the pickups is abit too loud sometimes, and the volume and tone knobs are abit hard to adjust after my opinion. There are no way to get a smooth transition when playing, you really need to screw the knobs. Anyway, the guitar still stands as if it was new after these years. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Ibanez XPT 700 Red Chameleon is magnificent to look at, and i bet my shoes that it always will. Its thick finish is destined to be there for a long time, and I have never had any problems at gigs, except, as I mentioned earlier, one time I used the whammer too much. I was over-using it, and maybe got a little too crazy on it. When people ask me why I always have a backup guitar too, if this guitar is so freakin reliable, I blame the strings. You always Live with the danger that you can kill a string or two under any gigs and any type of string. When changing one string is taking a hell of a long time, because of the Floyd Rose, I always carry a backup. If there wasn't anything in the world that could make strings die, I wouldn't carry a backup for this guitar either. // 9

Overall Impression: Five-piece Wizard II neck, ancient weapon body, double-locking Edge III trem, DiMarzio D Activator pickups. There isn't much else to say than "A f**king good combination!" I love the guitar, and I am not going to get another one in a long time. After all I have had it myself in one and a half year now, but I don't feel like changing it. If it got stolen? I would consider one of the new Ibanez guitars because of their tuning ability, but if I didn't get any one that fit my type, I would definitevly get the same one. It is the perfect match for a heavy metal guitar player. I play alot of Disturbed, Metallica, Bullet and Avenged-inspired music, and this one is a God in drop C and Drop D as mentioned earlier. If there was anything I would like to change, it would be the "old" Floyd Rose system and easier-to-handle knobs. The best thing with this guitar is yet not told... The guitar is a 0.09! I think this is the best to play with, but that is of course from person to person. Overall a superb, demonical and heavy guitar with the deep sound of the devil with the clear tones of heaven. Check it out! // 9

XPT700 Reviewed by: ICreamsodAI, on january 05, 2008

Features: The Xiphos is probably the best guitar by Ibanez I've ever played (at least for it's price). It has the lightest mahogany body I've ever seen. It has a 3 Ply Rosewood 24 fret Wizard II neck, which, as always, is amazing. It allows for ridiculously low fret action with virtually no buzzing and makes fretting literally effortless. The finish on this is absolutely beautiful. At first, I was almost turned off by the sparkles in the paint, but in actuality, it makes I just that much more pretty. don't let it turn you off. It's got an IBZ Edge III double locking tremelo system, which is actually a lot more durable and well built than what comes on other models. The pickups are DActivators, which sound like actives, but aren't actives. Pretty convinient. They are simply amazing. There are 2 control knobs and a 3 way selector, which is awesome for me cause I'm f--king lazy. I would suggest loosening the control knobs a little if you mess with them on stage (I had to, they made them that tight on purpose, no flaw there). The only complaint is the position of the strap pegs. They are in the back, causing it to be heavy. Ibanez did this with looks in mind, which is forgivable I suppose. Easily moved though (drop me a message for details). Came with a custom fit TKL case, cable, alan wrench set. // 8

Sound: Very versatile, believe it or not. The pickups are strangely suited for jazz as well as ALL styles of rock. They allow a lot of chunk but doesn't allow the lows to fart out the highs. I'm using a slightly modded (as in slightly biased) Crate BV120H with 4 Tung-Sol 12AX7 Preamp tubes (1 working as a power) and the horrific stock 4 Groove Tube 6L6 Power Tubes. The distortion isnt wonderful, but sounds fantastic through these pickups. The neck through adds a lot of sustain, and the mahogany gives it a nice deep growl. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is beautiful. Green in one light, blue/purple in another. The light gray chrome hardware really helps accentuate the sparkles in the paint while also keeping it from being overwhelming. The neck is absolutely fantastic. The backwards sharktooth inlays are highlighted by a black pinstriped outline, which looks awesome. The only down points to this guitar are usually considered preference, and easily adjusted to suit you. Simply try it first. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far, everything on this guitar is perfect as far as durability. I've yet to play a show with this guitar, but the input jack is very strong. Like I said, to stand with it, you'll prolly need to reposition the strap buttons, but that's very simple to do yourself. // 10

Overall Impression: I usually play progressive/death metal/jazzcore/whatever the f--k you wanna call it and this works perfectly. I also own a Dean HardTail Select which I use for Jam Band kinda stuff, and a Grestch Electromatic for jazz and bluegrass. With bluegrass aside, the XPT700 would be suitable for any of these styles (with the exception of it's metal biased looks). This (besides the JEM) is my ideal guitar from Ibanez, so unless you got 2,000 bucks to throw down, I'd just get this. // 10

XPT700 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 15, 2008

Purchased from: Sound Control

Sound: I play metal in a band, and this thing is great. Before this I was using a zakk wylde Epiphone, and this thing beats it hand down. I'm running it through a Line 6 spider 3, or a POD when I wanna get really good effects. This guitar also has a really nice clean sound to it when it is needed. It is a all round guitar made for metal (if that makes sence). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The standard set up was good, but for me it wasn't in the right tuning. It comes in Standard tuning, and if you where goingto play in this then nothing would need doing to it, but as I play in drop C I needed it set up, but once it was set up the action is that low it feels like you are touching the fret board straight away. The finish on this bad boy is one of the best I have ever seen and I would love to put this on other guitars of mine. I picked the red one over the blue as I hadnt seen the blue one. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I use this guitar Live, and not once have I even thought something will go wrong. For this I wouldn't need a backup guitar. The jack unlike other guitars is secure and won't come out. For me the strap buttons where in a nice placealthough other would disagree). The finish is good on it, and I have hit it off things a few times and nothing has come off, very well made and wont get damaged easily. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal in a band and this thing makes metal sound easy, great pickups and overall wont break. I have been playing for 3 years now and this thing is one of the best guitars I have played. If I had lost this guitar I would buy another without a doubt. // 10

XPT700 Reviewed by: jefffelker40, on september 26, 2008

Purchased from: samedaymusic

Features: Made in 2007, in China, 24 jumbo frets, 25.5 scale neck thru maple/walnut neck, it has a cool chameleon finish available in either a blue/green or red/gold I got the blue/green and it really looks amazing. Plays nice, fast, the x shape is sort of cool, really thin body, with a thin Ibanez neck. The edge III tremolo works as good as any Floyd Rose imo, DiMarzio pickups with 3 way selector. // 10

Sound: It suits my musical style great because my style is very broad and this guitar can cover anything a 6 string solid body should. I have only used it with a small Fender practice amp and it still sounds amazing, rich full sound, bright if you want it bright, I like it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: the guitar was set up nice, the action was low like I like it, the pickups were fine, everything top notch, it did have a small scratch on one of the fins but the company was fine about it and I don't blame Ibanez, I think it was the fault of the reseller. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand Live, the hardware will last the strap buttons are solid. I can depend on it, the finish is tough and beautiful. It's reliable, it's durable, nothing wrong at all with this guitar. The hardware is good. It's Ibanez what else can I say? // 10

Overall Impression: I play many styles and this matches all of them, been playing for 3 years, I also own an Epiphone g400 and the playability on this is better for me, I'm not really into baseball bat necks, the thin necks are just more fun. If it were lost I would get a 7 string similar to this one, I chose this guitar over others because of it's stunning looks, the 24 frets, and I wanted the x shape. // 10

XPT700 Reviewed by: Holy-Diver, on november 26, 2008

Purchased from: GC

Features: There are many great features to this guitar. It is an X. Playing sitting down is possible. It has 24 jumbo frets, is a neck thru, it is made from mahogany, it has a nice thin Ibanez wizard II 5 piece neck, great DiMarzio d-activators in the bridge and neck... all great features. There are also a few bad features. My main problem with this guitar is the position of the low strap button. Ibanez thought it would be funny if they put the lower strap button way too low, causing the headstock to dive. this can be fixed, however, by repositioning the button a bit farther up. another problem with this guitar is the tremolo system. the edge III is junk, it is almost impossible to tune. an Original Floyd is reccommended. Last problem is that this guitar does not come with a molded case, and getting a case that will fit it can be a pain since it is an X. // 8

Sound: this guitar suits metal very well. It is extremely comfortable to play standing (once the strap button is adjusted)and the pickups can put out a very nice clean tone, but they were designed for metal. While not being the quietest pickups around, the pickups are not noisy at all. As for variety, it will deliver all yoou can expect for metal. a nice clean tone, a deep heavy distorted tone, a bright tone. It will respond to your style. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well the first thing I can say is that it was set up badly. It was set with 9gauge, which is not my preference, and there was a lot of buzz. The edge was not flush to the guitar... just bad. Plus, the bridge is impossible to set up well. everything else was fine though. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definitely durable and is great for live playing. The only problem is that the bridge... but I have mentioned all of it's shortcomings already. The hardware is all solid after a few months, the strap buttons are solid, it seems very dependable. I would never play without a solid tail backup. The hardware finish wears off though, but you will need a new bridge anyways. The black finish is nice, but I am not a fan of the changing colors. Too gaudy. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is that it is a nice solid guitar with a terrible tremolo system. I am a personal fan of Ibanez, as I own an RG. I also own a Jackson Kelly, and this guitar blows away the Jackson. compared to my other two guitars, this is by far my favorite. With a little modding here and there, a good setup, and a change to the strap buttons and get a sufficient tremolo unit, and this guitar is in the top tier of guitars. Very nice. // 10

XPT700 Reviewed by: Damienb, on december 11, 2012

Price paid: A$ 980

Purchased from: Coastal Music

Features: This guitar was made earlier this year and was made in Indonesia, it has 24 Jumbo frets and the neck is maple and the fret board is rosewood. The neck is reversed, and has Shark tooth inlays. It has a solid top and is made of basswood and has a gloss black finish but is also available in Red Chameleon. It has extra crunchy DiMarzio D-Activator Passive Pickups which are great for metal and has a 3 way pickup selector. It has a volume knob and a tone knob. It has Ibanez tuners and a Ibanez Edge III Tremolo, which receives a lot of hate but in my opinion is great. The guitar comes with a custom Xiphos hard case. // 10

Sound: This guitar is very versatile and suits alot of music styles, from metal to blues. I am running this through a Marshall MG50M with a Boss chorus, Metal Core and acoustic simulator with a Cry Baby Wah, the sound is amazing, it gives good crunch which is perfect for rock and metal. The guitar has a very dark/full sound and is not noisy at all. The guitars tremolo can pull off a huge variety of sounds and the pickups are real killers. The DiMarzios are absolutely perfect for this guitars set up. But the guitar gets slightly buzzy if you leave it standing for a while with the amp on. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well at the factory, but it was tuned to standard so I changed the tuning to drop C, and the tremolo is a PAIN to set up at first but once you get the hang of it it is really easy. I don't really know much about the pick up adjustment but they work just fine. I had slight fret buzz at first but after I set the guitar up it disappeared. The guitar had no flaws that I could notice besides the pickup selector which is very noisy - you can hear it through the amp sometimes. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never played live with this guitar but it is very reliable and I would definitely use it live, even without a back up. The hardware seems very durable and strong and will most likely last long, it has nice and solid strap buttons but I have replaced them with strap locks. I depend on this guitar on a lot and trust it to not mess up or go out of tune. The finish scratches quite easily unfortunately but as I said before the hardware is very durable and can take a beating. The guitar is very dependable. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and this guitar fits this style perfectly, I've been playing for nearly 5 years and this guitar fits perfect for me. I love that this guitar is so versatile and that it can withstand so much, if it were stolen I would definitely buy a new one. My favourite feature is the neck because it is so strong and easy to play, it is amazingly comfortable and fast. I got this guitar as a birthday present, it was between this and the 25th Anniversary S series from Ibanez but I got this because I was looking for a real shred machine, I highly recommend this guitar to any shredder, it is a really great guitar.

// 10

XPT700 Reviewed by: Zy_, on march 29, 2008

Purchased from: Rockers

Features: The Xiphos was introduced in the 'Advanced Weaponary' series of Ibanez. It's definately advanced, and while I've yet to try it, it looks like it could probably inflict GBH. Mine was made in 2007, and has a really thin-taper neck, and a 24 Fret, 25.5" Scale ebony fretboard with jumbo frets and Neck-thru construction. Mahogany body/neck/everything. It has an Edge III tremolo, which, although not stunning, is good. It came with a pair of DiMarzio D Activator pickups, although I have replaced the bridge pickup with a DiMarzio N2X. The D Activator is supposed to be a passive pickup, but with the sound and hardware of an active. It also came with hardcase, and I managed to get an Elixr cable. The body shape is of course, absolutely brilliant, along with the Red Chameleon finish. The only downsides are that the body shape is hard for 'sit-down-practice/jamming' and the rear strap button is slightly dodgy, so I replaced and repositioned it. // 9

Sound: I generally play the vast range of Metal and Punk, and occasionally some other things, (I.e., Sixpence Non The Richer, Klaxons, etc.), and while the look and shape of the guitar isn't conventional, it does handle all quite well. I play through a Marshall AVT 100 Racing Green, with a Boss Metal Core, and a Overdrive/Distorion, and it absolutely sings when I'm playing metal, as the neck-thru really helps with resonance and sustain. When I'm playing anything else, the neck pickup has suprisingly good cleans. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, the nut was slightly loose, like I mentioned, the strap button is slightly off, and there was a tiny dent in the back, probably the last idiot Who tried it, but other than that the condition was perfct. All of it's miniature flaws were unnoticable, and I fixed most of them. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have only played 3 gigs with this guitar to date, but from that, I can see it is really durable. I use strap locks, but I'm quite sure it doesn't need them. The pickups and bridge seem quite strong, and a few days ago, I dropped it, and the only thing was a small dent, which isn't exactly the finish coming off. I would definately use it at gigs without a backup, although my band's set requires 2 guitars for the tuning differences in the songs, however, it has become my mot used guitar(Half step down). I would definately recommend it to the gigging guitarist looking to make an impact. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definately a great guitar, something that if stolen, I would instantly replace it, then Drive a chainsaw through whoever stole it. It is definately worth the money. It competes very well with my other guitars: an SG GT, a BC Rich NT Beast and a ESP Viper DLX. The only advantages are that it has 24 frets, not 22, a tremolo, and it's shape won't kill you. The thing I love most is that, it can handle literally any genre of music, despite looking out of place anywhere but metal. I compared it to another Ibanez model, but from what I can remember, it was just a flashy RG. There is a 7-string model which I would like, but it only comes in grey and doesn't have a tremolo. It is absolute brilliance and sits up there, in the leagues of the Les Paul and other holy greats. // 10

XPT700 Reviewed by: synestershadows, on august 01, 2008

Features: This amazing axe was made in Indonesia, of all places, probably in a sweat shop. I have nothing against that, though. This guitar is amazingly fast and clean sounding. It has a thin, neck-thru, 24 fret, neck with a rosewood fretboard and reversed sharktooth inlays. the red chameleon finish that I have on mine is so cool looking. I want to have a car with that paint job on it! The edge III isn't all that bad, but it isnt all that great. that's why I took a point off of this category. If it ever craps out on me, I'll just get an original Floyd Rose which fits perfectly on it. The DiMarzio d activator pups are so great, they tower over EMG 81/85s, and these pups are passive! The guitar came with an amp cable, which I didn't need) and some allen wrenches that don't fit anything that's on the guitar except for the thing that tightens the trem bar in. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my musical style perfectly. I play tech metal and metalcore/deathcore. My Line 6 30 Watt Amp is just enough to make this guitar scream! At first, the guitar made really annoying hums and I took it in to get checked. I took it to Guitar Trader and the tech guy there easily found out the problem. One of the wires wasn't grounded. I guess the guitar was rushed to get out of the shop that the indonesians forgot something. But also keep in mind that this guitar was backordered. This guitar screams and whales no matter what kind of music you enjoy playing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said above, one of the wires wasn't grounded, which was very frustrating for me. I made slight changes in the pickup height because they set it really close to the strings. For a guitar that was only 500 bucks (taken down from 650) I got a great axe! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Although I've been taking extremely good care of my new guitar, I can say that this axe will withstand almost anything. Muhammed from Necrophagist plyas this guitar which is good enough for me. I wouldn't recommend this guitar to people who want to do tricks, since it's not the right shape for that. Although I thought the stock strap pins would be sturdy enough, I decided to get a DiMarzio cliplock strap. It's definitely worth it. The only problems with the hardware are that the edge III has a potential off being lousy and the locking nuts at the headstock can get easily stripped. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar fits my musical taste perfectly. If this guitar were ever stolen or lost I might get another guitar with a more Standard shape like an Ibanez RG or an ART series guitar. I would like to have the same pickups tho and the same thin neck. I think that Ibanez should change the strap pin locations since this guitar has serious neck dive. // 9

XPT700 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2008

Features: Not quite sure where it was made(I think in India) but it's awesome. It's got 24 frets of blazing fury on a thin Wizard II Thru-Neck. It's awesome. The green- color- changy finish is the icing on a cake of fury. The neck is great for shred, and the pick-ups? They are pure thrashing bliss! Anything from death metal to neo-classical will melt your face, and then pay for the prosetic one! It's got an Edge III Double-Locking Tremolo bridge for sonic amazingness of fury! The springs took a little to stretch in, put after that, you'd think you were riding a Harley for the roars you can get out of it! // 10

Sound: I play anything from death metal to jazzy blues to video-game sounding shred. This guitar does all of it! The pick-ups are truly amazing. I compared this to my old guitar and my face melted with shred, and then was frozen back together by the death metal tones I crave. Simply outstanding. Very clean, and no mud even on the sear leads that keep you awake at night. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was life-changing. The pick-ups were great. God's in His heaven all's right with the metal. However, the strap holders are kinda funky-placed, and I prefer metal. Everything but the strap holders was mind-bogglingly-mind-blowing. Simply perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The hardware is amazing. I would definitely trust this for Live. I would always bring a back-up, but this thing could eat me alive. I hit it hard once, and there was a more of a dent in the thing I hit with it than a mere scuff on the guitar. Definitely going to last a while. // 10

Overall Impression: This is I great match for the many styles I play, and it's just life saving angelic metal tone. I definitely would, however, get an axe more suited for cutting down trees if this was stolen, and I would find the robber, mistake him for a tree, and magically wake up in the morning with my guitar back, and turn on the news to find a tragic tale of an angry lumberjack and somebody he thought was a tree. // 10

XPT700 Reviewed by: poxond, on january 30, 2009

Price paid: C$ 900

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: 24 Blazing frets, wrapped in a cream binding and laid to rest on a 5 piece maple/walnut thru body neck. The paint is thick and sinister looking. You see pictures, but they don't do justice. It was very well built for an Indonesian guitar. The wings are all mahogany. The bridge isn't my thing because I realize now that vibratos aren't for me, but someone Who likes them would probably enjoy the Edge 3. The DiMarzios are great. // 9

Sound: I play mainly metal, but I'm trying to shy away from it. FOR metal though, this is fan-friggin-tastic. You can dive bomb all day provided the strings are warm and it'll stay tuned. The sound you get from the DiMarzio D-Activators is very loud, but it maintains it's definition. I play thru a Line 6 120 watt. I think the better sounding of the two pickups is the neck. They both sound amazing, don't get me wrong, but the neck pickup on my SA series is garbage, so in comparison it sounds much better. It has a very bottom end tone to it. Very thick. There isn't any fret buzz. There's no hum. Best metal guitar I've owned so far. And although it is a metal guitar, the cleans are very nice and it will play almost anything, though I highly doubt you'll be playin some old man cuntry with this. (that's right, no o in country. Thanks Quagmire) // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I set it up to my specs as soon as I got it, but overall, it was decently set up from the factory. The pickups were a little high and so was the action. All fixed tho. Besides all the adjustables, the finish was flawless, and gorgeous, and everything was the way it shoulda been. // 10

Reliability & Durability: OK, there are is an issue arrising now that I've owned it for awhile. The bridge keeps fading from low to high volume. I'm sure it's just minor, like a bad solder or something. The balance of the guitar is less than par as well. It can be fixed easily by moving the strap buttons closer to the jack, but I don't have the balls to drill holes in that paint job. The hardware will definitley last a lifetime, very nice black nickel finish. I would use a backup to gig, but I think it could hold it's own. I've heard that a lot of new factory Ibanez's are poorly wired from the factory, but once that is fixed I'm sure it'd be fine. The paint is REALLY thick and durable, I've hit it off of headboards, weight benches, the wall, the amp, the TV, the computer desk, my girlfriend, the floor, the stove, ETC. and it still looks new. Can I give it an 11? // 10

Overall Impression: Awesome. Buy it. If someone bought it, i'd burn them. Then hit them hit this pointy SOB. The only thing i wish i did was wait till' the HardTail was out in production to buy it. I compared this to A a Warrior, a DK2M Dinky, and a Alexi Laiho LTD. Better than all of them. R.I.P. Billy Powell, say hi to Ronnie for me. // 10

XPT700 Reviewed by: The^Unforgiven, on april 24, 2009

Price paid: € 680

Purchased from: Local music store

Features: Crafted in Indonesia in 2007, Ibanez once again proves that a guitar doesn't have to read "Made in USA" on the back of the headstock in order to be a very high-class, professional level guitar. The XPT700 has fabulous features that suit a wicked metal best. An Ultra-fast, 5-piece walnut/mahogany wizard II neck-through neck and 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard are sure to keep the shredder happy, and a big, heavy mahogany body to guarantee excellent tone and sustain. Add in an Ibanez Edge III tremolo system and two awesome DiMarzio D-activator passive humbuckers, and we'll have the makings of an instant classic in our hands. The icing on the cake is the hard case that was included in the price, and is made for the Xiphos exclusively. // 10

Sound: Take one look at the Xiphos and you'll instantly know what it was built for: Screeching, blazing, insane metal. It's not that you can't play anything else with it - it's just that you'll look silly in a jazz band with an extreme-shaped guitar like this. I play all kind of metal, along with hard- and classic rock, and the Xiphos deals with all of the styles rather fluently. Somewhat surprisngly, the guitar is excellent for clean tones, too. Flipping the pickup selector into the middle position gives the guitar almost Strat-like, single coil-ish sound qualities, making it perfect for blues and 80's rock sounds. The only problem seems to be the power of the pickups. The D-activators are a pair of very nice sounding pickups, but to get some good distorted sounds out of the guitar, you'll really have to crank the distortion up. I play the guitar with my Fender FM212R and Peavey Valve King 212. With both, I use my Boss ME-20 for distortion, for neither of the amps can produce enough gain with the Xiphos on their own. I've also played the guitar through Engl, Marshall and Crate amplifiers, and the Xiphos was left behind by other guitars when played without external distortion-producing units. But make no mistake! If you have some nice hardware, the Xiphos will turn into the perfect metal guitar in an instant. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where it really starts to get good. Straight from the box and after a quick general set-up, the guitar was perfect. I'd say that any shredder would be satisfied with the playability of the super-thin Wizard II neck. There was no fret buzzing or other extra noise, and the guitar was overall well set-up and carefully constructed. No sharp fret edges or other flaws to Drive you crazy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As said before, the XPT700 hundred is a high-quality, professional level guitar. I've had it for about a year now, with no signs of the guitar wearing down. I would absolutely play it Live, even without a backup if I had to. There has been general talk about the placement of the strap buttons, as the upper one is somewhat unconventionally placed, I didn't really find it a problem, as I got used to it in a matter of days. // 9

Overall Impression: Playing whatever I play, this guitar is an overall great match. The playability, the sound, the feel - it's all just what I want from a guitar. The flawless build of the thing still kind of amazes me to the day. I've been playing for around 5 years now, and during that time I've come across dozens of guitars. I'd have to say that the XPT700 is at least in the top 3 of what I've played, dropping many Jacksons, LTDs, Deans and ESPs behind it. I've actually been thinking of buying another one exactly like this so I could keep the other one in a straight tuning while the other one would be in a dropped tuning. Overall, despite the factor of the pickups' power, this guitar is so damn good that I don't think I ever want to get any other guitar again. // 9

XPT700 Reviewed by: TuxFriend, on february 15, 2010

Price paid: € 727

Purchased from: Power-Sound

Features: My guitar was made in Indonesia, but the build quality is high. Seriously, this guitar looks and sounds great! There are 24 jumbo frets, the body is in a kind of an X shape (copied from Jackson's Warriors?), pickups are passive DiMarzio D Activators and the bridge is an Edge III tremolo with locking tuners. There is a 3-way selector switch and volume & tone knobs. I got a hard case with my guitar for the same price, which was a very nice inclusion. // 10

Sound: The D Activators sound great with all music styles I play (pop to metal), both clean and distorted. Obviously, this is a metal guitar and the distorted sound is incredible, especially palm mutes. There's also almost no noise at all. If you try the XPT700 acoustic, you can really hear how well it plays and the sustain with its neck-thru-body is some of the best I've seen. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Negative things first: the guitar was poorly set out-of-the-box as it needed a lot of tweaking and tuning to get it in playable shape. The strings were even fret-buzzing at the first frets. And, unfortunately it requires much more tweaking in general than my other guitars. The pickup height needs to be constantly adjusted to get a good sound and Edge III Tremolo (and FR in general) is a pain in the ass - I ended up locking mine with blocks of wood under it (where the springs are located). It seems the D Activators are extremely sensitive to the height they're set to. If they're not exactly on the correct height, the sound is garbled/muddy crap. My other guitars are nowhere near as sensitive about the pickup height. The finish and outlook of the XPT700 are great, however. I have the red chameleon color and it always manages to impress people when I open the case and show the guitar. It truly looks fantastic. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I see no reason why this guitar couldn't be played live, but due to the FR-type tremolo, it would obviously need a backup guitar. If a string breaks, all the other strings go out of tune and replacing strings with a floating tremolo is not a 1 minute work like with fixed bridges. The finish quality seems very high and nothing feels cheap about this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Pop to metal, clean to distorted, this guitar sounds great. I've played about 1-2 years and this is a real keeper. While my other guitars keep changing, this one will not (at least not in a long time). If it was stolen or lost, I might look into similar guitars with a fixed bridge instead, but it's very well possible I'd get this one and just block the floating tremolo again. I love the sound, finish and overall feel of this guitar. I hate the extra tweaking and floating tremolo. I ended up getting this one due to the affordable price, neck-thru-body build, great sustain and the amazing look & finish. The other "contenders" at the time were the Jackson JS30WR and Ibanez XPT300. They come with a bolt-neck and cheaper pickups. I wish it had a fixed bridge, but you can always block it. For its price, the XPT700 is excellent quality and value. // 9

XPT700 Reviewed by: LeoKisomma, on october 10, 2011

Purchased from: EBAY

Features: Ok then, this guitar was made fairly recently and I'm not sure where it was made. It has 24 frets on what I have to admit it a truly fantastic neck to play on; it's not to fat or thin or too beveled or too straight, it's just the right size. The 24 frets not only means you can get the two full octaves on your guitar, but it makes the high note so much more reachable with your fingers as well. The big flaw with the main comparison with this guitar, the Gibson Explorer, was that the bottom cutaway was so narrow that it almost always got in the way of your hands. This is not the case with this guitar. The finish on mine is laminated with a chameleon green paint job, which means that depending on which angle you look at it from, this guitar actually changes colour in front of you eyes from green to red. Bridge is the Ibanez Pro Edge tremolo system which I have to say is much easier to handle than the traditional floyd rose tremolo system, as you don't need to cut the ball-ends off the strings to restring it. Two volume dials and two tone dials, one for each humbucker pickup, but these are no ordinary humbucker pickups. They are DiMarzio D activator passive pickups, but have been tested and shown to be the second most powerful passive pickups in production today. The only passive pickups with more power are Dimebag Darrel's signature pickups pickups that were installed on his guitars. This guitar does have flaws, for example because of the four strap buttons on it (don't ask why) if you put the strap on the wrong buttons it will dive down by it's neck. Don't worry though, as it's flaws are few and the diving problem is simply a question of remembering which buttons to put the guitar strap on. // 10

Sound: This guitar is probably one of the biggest surprises I've had in a while. I looked at it and read the reviews that said it was the perfect shred guitar, so I ready for when I plugged in and turned the gain up, because I already knew it would sound phenominally sharp even when playing really quickly, or really heavy chords. The distortion is kept in very good check by these pickups. The surprise was it's clean tones: it can produce such clean tones that I have used this for recording with no overdrive using the rhythm pickup and it's remained smooth better than most of my other guitars, including a Schecter V-1 Hellrasier and an Epiphone pro FX les paul(which I have also reviewed for anyone wondering what the hell that is). This guitar could easily handle jazz as I've tried it and it worked. Blues, classical, funk, it truly can handle all of these with ease. Just remember though, it's true character shows when the gain it turned up. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was bought second hand so I can't tell you how well set up it was at the factory, but it feels very well put together. I haven't had anything break so far, the action is set just right, there's not nasty points on the neck where notes don't ring quite as well as in other places. There are really only two flaws to my eye. The first is the balance problem I mentioned earlier. The second is it's shape. It in no way hinders you ability to play, and it's light enough to play for hours without any complaints from your back; but it's a look that most metal guitars will love and most others will hate. I really like it, but you may not. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar live and discovered it to be more than up to the task. I can't see any problems presenting themselves in terms of unnatural squealing or bad connections within the guitar. Hardware is nice and solid and the pickups speak for themselves. The guitar I have has been knocked by the previous owner, but to be perfectly honest, I forget while I'm playing and then have to search to see where it's scratched because the finish has stood up to it so well. // 10

Overall Impression: If you play an explorer-style body guitar, then I seriously recommend having a look at one of these because I can't see it getting much better than this. The only thing I wish I had asked was whether it was tuned when I bought it. I can now retune floyd roses in about half an hour, but when I first got it, the thing was in a drop tuning I didn't recognize so I didn't know what to do with it. It was this that made me go out and learn how to re-do a floyd rose on my own. I would say that this is the ideal guitar for a metal-style guitarist who wants a tremolo system on their guitar. There are more expensive guitars out there like the steve vai signature to name one, but would still say that this is a much better buy, as it is worth so much more than the 600 you'd pay for one new. I recommend you learn about floyd rose systems beforehand, but apart from that, I can't see any other problems with this guitar. // 10

XPT700 Reviewed by: sangbums2, on november 15, 2011

Price paid: C$ 450

Purchased from: Busters

Features: 24 jumbo frets on bound rosewood with reverse shark-tooth inlay; Wizard III thru-neck; Chameleon finish; custom Mahogany body; Edge III locking bridge system; 2 Passive DiMarzio D Activator pickups; 1 volume knob; 1 tone knob; 3-way selector. Mine also came with a custom hard case, and some tools for adjusting the guitar. The chameleon finish changes color depending on the angle you look at the guitar. Personally, I like to rest my arm on the big spike at the bridge end when I'm not playing. // 10

Sound: I use a Peavey Bandit 112 with a modded Ibanez TS-9 overdrive pedal. Mainly, I chose this guitar to play metal and its absolutely fantastic for it. But what surprised me is its ability to make such crisp clear sounds on the clean channel. These pickups are very versatile. I was able to reproduce some Hendrixy blues sounds on the clean channel and Megadeth metal sounds. I'm sure this guitar is capable of much more. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, I bought mine used so it wasn't in as good a condition as it would have been if it were straight from the factory. I had to replace the internal springs as they had lost tension. Which means you have to readjust the tension on the bridge and that can take a while. I also had to raise the action on the tremolo bar as it was hitting the pickup switcher. Nothing a few turns of the screw wouldn't fix. As for the action of the guitar itself, it holds true to the Wizard necks, it is low and fast. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Definitely feels like a solid guitar when I'm holding it. I wouldn't dare drop mine but if someone did, I think it will survive. I would definitely use this for a gig without back up as the locking bridge keeps you from going out of tune even with dive-bombs and screeches. The finish is comparable to a pearlescent paint job on a car, but better. // 10

Overall Impression: To put it simply, I am in love. This guitar looks as awesome as it sounds. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014