IS-300 Review

manufacturer: Indiana Guitar Company date: 04/03/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Indiana Guitar Company: IS-300
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 7.8
 6.2
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
IS-300 Reviewed by: KevoRocker, on september 15, 2005

Features: A popular electric guitar loaded with a vintage-designed set of Spitfire pickups matched to a resonant Alder body to deliver pure classic tone. One humbucker plus two singles. It has a solid maple neck with rosewood fretboard, sealed die-cast precision tuning keys, chrome hardware and a Vintage tremolo system. - 10 year warranty - Solid maple neck - Solid rosewood fretboard - Solid alder body - Maple neck - Chrome hardware - Die-Cast tuners - Spitfire pickups - Vintage tremolo - Variety of available pick up configuration - Sealed Die-Cast Precision tuning keys - Pick guard: white plastic - Vintage Tremolo Vibrato Bar - Include guitar cable. // 8

Sound: Sound is good, If you have the 5-way selector on one of the 2 single coils you get a small buzz, nothing that will take away from the sound at all. You only really hear it if the amps on and plugged in but you aren't playing. Playing it sounds great (to me, anyways. My friend with a 1,200 dollar SG agrees). The humbucker and 2 single-coil combo is a nice feature, you can sound pretty close to any guitar part you like if you have the right amp and effects. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is simply great for beginners. Since I am one, and am fairly careless with it as for playing and how I handle it, how this has held up without scratching or going out of tune is pretty good in my book. I was referred to this guitar over squiers and the Ibanez beginner pack by some friends and other random sources. And I'm glad I listened. Came looking nice, no screwups on the guitar, but there was a small non-visible ding on the guitar that came out of someone getting a test-drive in the store and going a little crazy. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of stuff, whatever is good practice. Sounds good. It's easy to play. If it was stolen I'd buy another. too easy to buy another when they go for 130 bucks. Don't know who'd steal a 130 dollar guitar, but hey what you gonna do when the guy stealing it happens to know nothing about guitar? I reccomend getting this, a small practice amp, and some necessities all for about 250-300 bucks if you're the beginner, or you could just buy the guitar to screw around with if you have money to blow and you don't want to scratch up your LP or your American Strat. // 8

IS-300 Reviewed by: RadioMuse, on april 03, 2006

Purchased from: Dillons Music Center

Features: The IS-300 is a solid beginner strat-style guitar made in China featuring an adler body bolted to a maple neck with a fast-playing rosewood fret board. The teal-transparent finish/ chrome hardware/ white pickgaurd on mine is beutiful though it's take some damage from my year of dishing out abuse, it's also what first drew me to it for a play. The guitar came with a cable that I gave a away and I purchased it with a gig bag and strap though those costed extra. Everything is very solid other than the tuning heads are apparently pretty weak as it goes out of tune often and I no longer used the strat-style bridge as a result of this. // 8

Sound: This guitar has a rather dark sound but one that is very full and warm. The bridge humbucker is unbeatible in this price class for sound and tone. I ran this through a piece of shit XT15R Crate for a while before getting my RFX 120 (Crate 2X12 amplifier, solid state but very tube like). With the small amp the guitar was really held down on the bigger one it's more at home. The bridge pickup has enough sensitivit for finger tapping and other less "loud" techniques. The single coils have a rather thick, almost "croopy" sound to them that I absolutly love with some gental overdrive, however they're very noisy and no amount of adjustment in height seems to be able to change that. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action from the factory one this was absolutly perfect though that's not the case with all Indiana's so be warned. The pickups were adjusted as best they could be for anti-humming however this resulted in the bridge humbucker being much "louder" than the single coils so I've adjusted it to level out the volume. After playing this guitar hevily for about 8 months I had one of the strap-mounts go out on it and I had to drill and new hole about 1/4 of an inch from the old one and screw the mount back in. The plastic underneith the nobs is annoying when the guitar has gain on it as it makes a "swishing" noise everytime either tone or volume is adjusted (something I plan on changing asap). // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty solid in an of itself. Other than the problems I mentioned in fit and finish I believe this guitar is nearly flawless (though it obviously can't come close to the sound or playibity of say a Gibson). I wouldn't gig it without a backup because I don't trust the strings to hold out for me, nothing to do with the guitar really just who wants to stop to slip a new string in when you're in the middle of a set? // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock from gentle poppy stuff to punk to metal, this guitar serves it up well. The single coils even rip out some nice blues tones with some adjustments to the amplifier settings. I've been playing for between 18 months and 2 years and my other guitar is a hot-rodded Fender Nashville Telecaster (Mex) with a stock single coil int he neck and humbuckers in the mid and bridge. Obviously that Tele makes this my backup guitar but for a full year it was my only electric instrument. I compaired it to many guitars in the $200 or so price range including Ibanez models, Squires, Jacksons and Epiphones. If I wanted to stay under $300 this was king in terms of sound and playiblity. It also feels more solid, expesive and well-built than it's competitors. I wish this thing had locking heads, it really needs them but otherwise is a wonderful instrument. Here soon I plan on making it my project instrument with new tuners (heads) and a Floyd Rose trem-set up. I'll follow that up with replacing all the electronics over the course of a year or two. Like I said for the money it's great but in the pursuit of tone more money must be spent. I highly recommend this guitar over Squire strats and any Epi under $350 because it's simply a better guitar for less money. If it was stolen or lost I'd probably just live without and save up and buy a G&L tribute Tele which wouldn't require any "hot-rodding". As it is now though I'd rather take that money and upgrade the shit out of this guitar until it stops being my backup and comes back to being my main instrument again. // 8

More Indiana Guitar Company reviews rating category latest review