Indie Shape Standard Review

8.4
 8.8
review (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Indie Shape Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 05, 2005

Features: Indie are a UK based guitar company who make guitars that are of a far higher standard then one would think at 1st. Despite being a relitivly new company (I my self only heard of them a year ago) they can now been seen getting good reviews in UK based guitar magazines and websites. The 'stats' of this model of guitar: - Body: solid mahogany - Neck: 1pc mahogany, set Construction - Fingerboard: rosewood - Fingerboard Inlay: 4mm dot + Indie logo - Head machine: Indie diecast tuner - Top nut: graphite - Bridge: Tune-O-Matic with stop tail - Hardware: black - Pickups: 2 humbucker/Indie standard - Electrics: 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way toggle - Truss rod: 2-way dual action - Scale Length/Frets: 635mm (25")/22 frets - Finish: satin black Nothing out of this world but very good. The guitar has a good weight to it despite the smallish body size, which comes through in the tone very well. // 8

Sound: This guitar, despite the companies title, is a rock/metal guitar. It can be used for Indie but it begs for big solos and loud riffs. I play rock/metal/punk and more virtuoso style guitar (i.e. Vai, Satch, Ali DeLamola etc) and it for the 1st 3 it's simply fantastic. One could argue the lack of a F-Rose bridge limits its potential with the more virtuso style of guitar, but on the merit of its proformance with rock/metal/punk/alt/etc I will let it go. The guitar sounds big, its pickups are high-output that can Switch very sucssful at changing between genres as they change there treb/mid/bass properties very well with the guitars tone Switch (more so than on most guitars) so it can be scoop'd mids in heavy metal, then with big mids+trebs for punk bite, then into mid heavy classic rock solos a'la Free, Led Zep. Very impressive and sustains like a Gibson. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar isn't the most complex of beasts, infact its simplicity was a big attraction point to me, it feels solid (the kind of solid where you dont fear droping it too much). All in all it was set up well, bar from a low e fret buzz (as you get on nearly every guitar under 500 at 1st) which took me a full 7 mins to fix. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has its place as my heavier/drop tunnings line in my guitar, not so much taking 2nd place to my Gibson SG Classic, just that they fufil different roles, so I could rely on it without back up, but if you play live without a back up your a bit of a goon. I use Jim Dunlop Pro stap locks which work brilliantly but I fixed these as soon as I bought the guitar so I cant comment on the orginals (sorry). Yeah it's a solid guitar that a trust live on the stage as much as I do at home. // 9

Overall Impression: The guitar originaly took my attention due to its cosmetic aperance, then after playing it I was sold. Up until finding this my plan was to buy a 300-400 guitar and get it a pickup upgrade. With this there really is no need (you could but the stock pickups are of a very good quality that unless you payed for top end bare knuckels, Seymour D's or Emgs the diffrence would only be minor). Obviously it has to go outof tune eventualy but it is one of the bester guitar for staying in tune for longer piriods, I would recomend asking for a one with locking tunners if you are a big string bender, but still very good. Not the best guitar on earth so (unlike those kids whom reviews things like a Squire Strat Affinity as a 10 on this site) it's going to get a good result, but there are many better guitars out there in the world (and my guitar collection), but this is definetly one of the best in its price range. Don't let the lack of a (at this moment in time) press/big name players on indies put you off, these guitars are very good and relitivly original looking (how often can you say that) guitar for there price. A find I am very proud of. // 8

More Indie reviews rating category latest review
+ Sun Extreme Custom 7.6 Electric Guitars 05/11/2012