Target MOD Review

review (1) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Target MOD Reviewed by: Radynj, on july 22, 2010

Price paid: C$ 579

Purchased from: John Bellones

Features: The guitar was made in 2010 in Korea. Indie is an English company which is relatively new to the industry however they keep getting rave reviews and I'm no different. # Body: Solid Mahogany w/ Cream Binding # Neck: Set Neck, Graphite Nut # Fingerboard: Rosewood, 22 Fret, 12th Fret Logo, Scale Length 25" Length # Headstock: Black, Die Cast Machine Heads # Hardware: Black, Tune-O-Matic Stoptail # Pickups: Neck M8, Bridge M8 Ceramic Humbuckers # Controls: 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 3 Way Toggle # Truss Rod: 2-Way Dual Action // 9

Sound: I mostly play alternative rock, lighter forms of metal and jazz. The sound is very similar to say a Les Paul (my Hagstrom Swede for example) it has a great midrange punch and the M8 pickups sound great driven really hard. You can get a lot of different tones out of the guitar however it's best played with distortion as its clean sound is quite thick and bass heavy, best for jazz but not so much country or blues in my opinion. The guitar only has 1 volume and 1 tone control but that doesn't really limit it in my opinion, I've never yearned for more from the guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came with the action set just a little too high, was still pretty low but I like it extremely low. There is a little almost invisible bump on the side of neck at the 21st fret but other than that the guitar was flawless. The knobs turn slowly but nice and smooth, there's no noise from the pickup selector. The guitar seems to be, minus the small finish bubble, in perfect condition. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar feels nice and solid, it has a nice weight too it and doesn't feel like a toy but it's not quite as heavy as my Swede. The hardware all feels top notch and some strap locks were thrown in with the guitar. I've tried jumping around (a la Simple Plan) and I've had no problems. The finish is definitely very thick and should hold up to wear and tear. I'd always have a backup but I doubt I'd ever need to use it, plus my 335 Copy I normally play would be garbage for the metal I'd be playing with this. // 10

Overall Impression: I'll be honest, what originally drew me to the guitar was the wicked RAF logo on the body (it's been matched with an army green strap as it should) however the guitar has totally blown away my expectations. The quality is top notch; better than my Gretsch and equal to my Hagstrom. It's been played through a Vox AD100VT-XL, a Vox VT50, and a Fender Blues Deville. You could play it through the wrong end of a Saxophone and it would still sound like a $1000 guitar but it's half the price. If you looking for the perfect amp to pair it with though? I'd have to say the AD100VT-XL, it's a total rocker. If it were stolen I'd murder the thief by pummelling him with my now useless Gretsch. The only thing I wish it had was a Gibson logo on it, because I'm a tool like that. // 9

More Indie reviews rating category latest review
+ Sun Extreme Custom 7.6 Electric Guitars 05/11/2012