IGP03 Review

manufacturer: ION date: 09/26/2011 category: Electric Guitars
ION: IGP03
Ready to become a guitar hero? ION's Electric Guitar Kit comes with a sleek full size guitar, complete with 3 vintage pickups. Plug in to the included 15 watt amplifier with "drive" feature to add screaming distortion to your playing.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 7.6
 8.6
 6.5
reviews (6) pictures (1) 21 comments vote for this gear:
IGP03 Reviewed by: Silent Murder, on february 15, 2006

Purchased from: Tesco

Features: This was my first electric guitar because it was cheap and had all the basics. It includes 2 Allen wrenches (one for the bridge, the other for the Truss rod), spare set of steal strings, a tuner (not electric), 3" guitar cable, 3 guitar picks (bright pink, mud brown and a dark green all under 1mm thick) and an instruction booklet with some chord diagrams (all the basics). It also has a 15 watt amp including: 3 EQ settings- high, mid and low with a selection of gain and distortion/clean, 1 input and one output for headphones. Apparently, it has a custom 5" woofer. The guitar itself has 3 single coils with a 5-way selector. The bridge has a whammy bar, chrome frets, a maple solid wood body, a hard maple wood neck with rose wood for the fret board. The tuners are chrome Die-Cast. It only comes in "sunburst" and the single coils are "iGT03" Pickups. Its a Fender Strat copy, so it won't have a double locking tremolo. It has one volume control and 2 tone controls. // 10

Sound: The tone is fairly bright (due to the single coils), and it's hard to get rid of that brightness with the distortion. The tones and EQ settings can be changed to turn into a deep bass (and I meen deep). The amp has a lot of power for its price, which is a good thing. The clean setting on the amp also seems to make the noise seem very sharp, which is what I like (unusual tones). Speaking of tones, the single coils aren't the best at picking up harmonics. In two words, the sound would be called sharp and chunky, great if you like Franz Ferdinand. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I remember that, when I first played it, the action was a bit too high, but that was easily fixed. The pick ups really had no impact when raising or lowering, so that was a bit concerning, but nothing was loose or broken and the selectors weren't dirty. Any strings however, will go out of tune using the whammy bar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It has a 1 year guarantee if that helps. I don't think this guitar will survive a live play, seeing as when I tried it, the strings snapped. However, if you want to be like The Who, trashing everything onstage, buy one of these because they are really cheap. The finish is fairly thick, but the hardware and the premature string aging will stop it lasting a gig. This is more for beginners starting guitar really. // 7

Overall Impression: I do play a lot of Franz Ferdinand, and the guitar suits it because of its sound. I've played for about 9 months, and I still love it, and I still use the amp for my Jackson RR3. The EQ settings though are harder to use because it doesn't use Treble etc. I didn't know how guitars worked before I purchased this, so I would've asked what made a decent guitar and gone from there. If it were stolen, I could say that I'd want another, because of its bright, chunky sound. This is a grate product for people starting to play. // 8

IGP03 Reviewed by: stboney, on may 29, 2006

Features: The features are what every eletric guitar for begginers need, three single coil pickups with a 5-way selector, 21 frets on an average sized rosewood neck. The pack includes a strap, 10ft lead into a 15w amp, pitch pipes, and of course extra strings ands picks all 0.95mm thick. // 10

Sound: I generally play punk, grunge, and a bit of metal, which is a bit of a problem the single coils do give out a bright sound however a small Switch of the pick ups (I use neck middle together) will sort that out. but now I play through a great Zoom 606 pedal with over Drive or fuzz as they both kill off the brightness. The clean sound is very cool, sharp and pearcing but by (I know, again) flicking that switch it becomes almost an acoustic sind with strong bass. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar built very, not much room between frets down at the bottom makeing it hard to "wank", but its the same on my mates squire so guess its quite common for a Strat style guitar. the only problem with the bridge (as with all Strats/Strat copys) has to be that it rises up with the strigs, makeing the effect of the whammy bar quite minimal, but that can be fixed by "locking" the bridge. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I guess it could withstand a live show, and the hardware will last. The strap bottons on mine are quite after a year but I use straplocks so it dosen't really bother me. the paint will last a lot as I've atacked mine with a screw driver while I was trying to get that Rory Gallagher style finish. // 9

Overall Impression: It's plain n simple that is a great guitar, if it was stolen id buy a new fnd out who still and beat the shit outta the guy that stole it (with my new one) and take the old one (my beloved Chip) back home. I do however wish that it had a bassier sound but that has been achieved now with a pedal thats exelent for its price of 60. // 10

IGP03 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 25, 2006

Purchased from: Radio Shack

Features: Well, this is your basic Strat-copy, sunburst body, 21 frets, bolt on neck, 3 single coil pickups, as well as a 5-way selector, 2 tone knobs, and one volume control knob. Then there's a descent amp, 3 picks (all of which I've managed to lose), a whammy bar (horrible in my opinion), a pipe tuner (throw it out), extra strings, 10 ft. cord for amp and a nylon strap I believe. A dream come true for an aspiring guitarist // 10

Sound: Well the single coils give it a very bright sound, especially on the bridge pickup. I almost always use only the neck pickup alone, which gives it more of a deeper tone, something that works well with wgat I play (I play classic rock, nu-metal). The amp's distortion isn't all too strong, but for the price of the package is ok. As well with all the tone turned down you get a nice deep, blusey sound. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I once completely took apart this guitar for the hell of it, including unscrewing the pickups (something my neck and I severely regret), the put it back together, doing this I adjusted the action and pickups, and forgot their origional position, however I remember the action being a bit high before adjusting it. I've also had to tighten the input jack on a regulart basis, and keep I percision tool kit near-by just incase. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would never use this guitar for a gig, at least not as a starter, maybe as a backup. I did see a guy in a local band use the same guitar instead of hit Gibson SG for one song, so it probably would stand up for a backup. however I had many problems for awhile with the wires and the guitar cutting out, but it was fixed by checking that all wires were attached completely. And the finish has stood up fine (I've had it for 2 years) with only scratches in the back from my belt buckle. // 7

Overall Impression: This is not much of a metal-head's guitar, but is an awesome beginners, an with some tweaking should last. I would recomend upgrading the amp after some time however, but not until you need it for outside of home. If it was stolen I wouldn't go to the trouble of getting the whole package again, but would probably get an Epiphone SG instead. However, I am appy with it and it suits my home practise needs. // 9

IGP03 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 18, 2008

Price paid: C$ 199.99

Purchased from: The Source

Features: Comes with a sunburst Strat-like guitar with single coil pickups, one volume, two tone knobs, 5-way selector. Guitar strap (lost it), Crappy Harmonica as a tuner (lost it), 2 packs of spare strings (lost it and used DR's and D'addarios instead), 10 ft. Patch cable (broke), and a 15 watt amplifier. Oh yeah, and a crappy whammy bar (lost it). The only things worth keeping really are the guitar and the amp. // 7

Sound: With only the amp and no additional effects, the package does not suit my music style (punk, classic rock, and rarely metal) on the count of the single coils get very bright sounds. I bought myself a MetalZone MT-2 (I know, some of you think it's crap but I love it) and now it sounds just great. One of the things I don't like though is that there is a lot of like background noise in the amp, and a lot of feedback (on mine anyway) which is why I'm planning on getting myself a better clean amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Actually the action in my opinion isn't too bad, nothing is loose on mine and the build quality is pretty good. I liked the finish, and I didn't notice any flaws really. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for maybe two years, and it's still working mighty fine, and it does seem like it'll last very long, nothing really broke, the strap buttons are really solid, but judging from the price, just in case I would bring a back up. This thing has gone through a lot. I mean I think I've dropped it a couple times, and my sister has done some things to it, and it still seems pretty fine. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before, punk, classic, and sometimes metal is what I play, and I wouldn't say this is a good match, but with some effects, it's perfect. I have been playing for about 2 months (I bought the guitar 2 years ago and really didn't touch it until 2 months ago). I was lucky I chose this one and not the one that was next to it that my friend chose, cause his is just crap, loose frets, knobs pop off, and I don't think his selector even works. So I was lucky and I guess I didn't need to ask much. If it were stolen/lost, I'd be very upset as this is my first guitar and when I grow up I wanna frame it (call me old fashioned), but if it were stolen, I'd probably buy an ESP or an Epiphone SG. I love this guitar because it's cheap, and it has absolutely everything a beginner would ask for. It's just an awesome guitar which I plan to teach my kids to play with one day, that is if it's still alive. I wish it had a better amp, but what can I ask for with 200 bucks. // 8

IGP03 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 09, 2009

Purchased from: HhGregg

Features: Features: amp, strap, strings, pickup, Comes with a sunburst Strat-like guitar with single coil pickups, one volume, two tone knobs, 5-way selector. Guitar strap, Harmonica as a tuner, 2 packs of spare strings, 10 ft. Patch cable (broke), and a 15 watt amplifier. // 10

Sound: Sound: is clear depending on how well you took care of the guitar.I would use the the cord it came with cause it doesn't seem to like other brands. The tone is fairly bright (due to the single coils), and it's hard to get rid of that brightness with the distortion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was nice polished. Everything was in the right places at the right hieghts and it even came to me in tune. The strings do go out of tune pretty easily but I'm not totally confindent its the guitars fault since I go pretty harcore on it somtimes. // 10

Reliability & Durability: A very durable and sturdy guitar I have had it for 8 years. I wouldn't recommend playing a gig with it but it wont let you down if you do decide to use it for a gig. I'm not so sure as to what the guitar was intended for but I think it would do very well as a backup guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I've had this guitar for 8 years now and it has lasted me a while. I've played the heck out of it and now its showing signs of dying. I love this guitar since it was my first and the quality was very good considering the price. It comes with alot more than any other company would give you and the stuff you can make it do is good. It is a beginners guitar and with more guitars like this I think alot more beginners would take guitar more seriously.I played alot of Blink 182, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Iron Maiden on this guitar which also shows how versitle it is. All in all this is a very sturdy well made beginners guitar that I highly recommend for the price of it. // 10

IGP03 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 26, 2011

Purchased from: tweaker

Features: - DOM: Unknown - 21 Medium frets - Feels like a 9 1/2 radius - Stratocaster style - SSS pickups - adjustable bridge - came with ION amp and Gig bag - String though body with tremolo - Came with gig bag tuner strap extra strings cord and amplifier. - Appears to be on the same level as a Strat guitar. // 7

Sound: I play religion, Rock, Metal and use amplifier as practice amp, sounds excellent. Selector switch is a 5 way and can change sound from bright to deep mellow. Played through twin reverb and Fender half stack and sound full and rich. Played through 15 watt amp makes it sound small. Sounds better through processor and larger amp. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was very low and touched the frets when I first got this guitar. Had to raise the action to get it to be playable. Once it was set up it sounded fine and stayed in tune. Seems to be well built. Compared to my Harmony it rocks just as hard. Guess you just need to know how to play it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: From what I've seen so far this guitar is just slightly less than my Harmony guitar as a playable instrument. Everything was solid, strap buttons solid, and have used it already at a gig. Would only use as back-up to my Harmony or Les Paul or my Fender Strat. The finish is beautiful and looks to last a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: I normally play rock to metal with some blues. Have been playing for 45 plus years and was quite surprised by this guitar. For all of you that stated this guitar needs tuning frequently, your guitar was either a fluke, or was not set up properly cause this guitar stays in tune and rocks, even when I use it for playing lead up on the 15th fret all the way into 19. All guitars have their own sounds and this one is no different. // 8

More ION reviews rating category latest review
+ IGP04A 4.5 Electric Guitars 12/17/2007