IGP04A Review

manufacturer: ION date: 12/17/2007 category: Electric Guitars
ION: IGP04A
Steel reinforced neck, hardwood construction and protective high-gloss finish, three vintage pickups and 5-way switch, whammy bar. Includes 10-watt power amp, 3m cable, adjustable guitar strap, extra strings, picks, pitch tuner and Learn To Play guide.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 5.5
 Features: 6.5
 4.5
 5.6
 3.4
reviews (4) 16 comments vote for this gear:
IGP04A Reviewed by: wakeboarder2, on february 14, 2007

Features: Look at the other users comments, I'm not seriously going to write about that, too long, except the cable is a piece of crap, it is slightly too small and if you touch it while it is in the guitar you can lose all sound. I mean it had the gig bag and stuff but throw out the tuner thingy as soon as you get it if you happen to get this guitar, it is a piece of crap and doesn't do anything, if you are a beginning guitarist, you won't be able to mach the tones on the pitch pipe with the tones on the guitar. // 7

Sound: It has a sound alright! The sound sucks. The amp sucks. The amp always sound like it is on drive, no matter what you do, unless you turn down the volume dial on the guitar all the way down (which for any of you noobs looking at this is a bad thing, you always want the volume control as high as possible on the guitar). The guitar itself has an okay sound but the amp just sucks. The tone dials pretty much don't do anything, I have an Epiphone Les Paul 100 and that kicks the crap out of this. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't remember how the action was when I got it, as soon as I got it, I needed it repaired for the place where you plug the cable into fell apart along with the wires. The neck pickup needed to be lowered, for I couldn't play any high fret stuff and the bridge pickup needed to be raised, it was like in the guitar. There weren't any flaws with the guitar but it came apart like crap over time. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, I would never ever use live, ever. The strap buttons come loose within second even after taking to a shop and having them drill the holes deeper and thinner, the holes were too big in the first place for the screw. The paint chips sort of easily and I found many little dents where my belt and button is on my pants. As I said before the wires came apart inside of where you plug in the cable. // 2

Overall Impression: I have been playing for over a year, and I know, "omg he hasn't been playing long at all, I am not reading this" but, please do, this guitar sucks. Don't buy it. if someone stole it I would be happy for them, I would never hear of it again, except it would suck a little because I woudn't be able to use a whammy again but who cares? My Les Paul 100 is awesome, I love it, it was cheap, it sounds great. As I said before the friggin amp is piece of crap so if someone stole that, I would probably my friend across the street from me's amp he has a Fender amp, not sure what kind but it is awesome, and he doesn't play much anyway. // 2

IGP04A Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2006

Features: - 22 Frets - Strat style body - String-thru body bridge - Volume knob, 2 tone knobs, 5-way selector - 3 Single coil pickups - Package comes with guitar, amp, cable, strap, whammy bar, set of strings, 3 picks, pitch pipe, and maintenance tools. // 5

Sound: I don't think this guitar would suit any style really, just messing around. The amp that comes with it is useable, but less than satisfactory. It has a volume, high, mid, and low settings. No Drive or anything. If you get close to any electronics or anything that plugs in, it buzzes really bad. It still buzzes no matter what though. You can get a few different sounds if you adjust everything a lot. It can sound really muffeled or really bright. I just turn everything to the right on the amp and deal with it. It gets pretty loud I guess. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know much about guitars, but it was playable right after I tuned it. I'm sure someone experienced would beg to differ. The whammy bar doesn't do a thing, which is disappointing. It stays in tune well and it looks pretty. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar actually seems pretty solid. I've hit the head on the ceiling a few times (low ceiling). I've never had problems with the strap buttons. I wouldn't play it at a gig because of the poor sound. I made a scratch on the finish on the back with my belt and the pickguard has scratches on it, but that stuff is normal. // 7

Overall Impression: I'd say this package is good if you aren't serious about guitar. I wish my parents had asked me about what was an ok deal before they got this. I've been playing it for about 6 months now and it looks like I'm stuck with it for a while, but it's better than nothing. I think replacing the amp would help a lot though. I would be glad if it was stolen because then I could get something to suit what I need. If you are really interested in guitar, like I was, save up and get something nicer. // 5

IGP04A Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2006

Purchased from: Fingerhut Magazine

Features: This is a Strat styled guitar. The wood sounds like maple but I'm not sure and the fretboards rosewood. It has 22 frets. The finish is a really sweet sunburst color. The brige is a string thu body. There is 1 vol knob and two tone knobs with a 5-way selector. Has three single coil pickups. Comes with some cool stuff to get you started. The amp is awesome if you have some pedals. It goes really loud and I've turned all the knobs on it up without blowing the speakers. // 10

Sound: I like to play a lot classic stuff but I play anything really exept rap and techno and shit like that. I have had this for about a year and I still have the amp it came with. So far I use 3 Behringer pedals-distortion/overdrive, blues overdrive and ultra phaser. I could not be more happy with this amp setup. The guitar sounds awesome but the pickups are noisy just like any other single coils. This guitar is perfect for those Who just want to play anything and "shoot the shit" allday. The neck pickup is great for most hard rock with a pedal while the bridge pickup is good for blues, country and that stuff. I don't frig around with the middle pickup very much. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was great right out of the box. Pickups were great, bridge was great, nothing was loose and everything was where they should be. The finish was great when it got to my house. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very durable. I use it for small gigs but you can use for larger gigs to. You can trust it for gigs to but alawys have a backup with any guitar of mine. The hardware and finish is not worn at all except a couple battle scars from my playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play most types of music mostly classic rock and this guitar suits it great.I have been playing for about 5 years so I know what I'm talking about. I have gotten every sound I need with this guitar. I would buy it agian if it got stolen. The one thing I dislike is the strap button, it sucks but you can always buy a new one for like $10. Buy this guitar if you cant afford a Gibson or a Fender like me. Whoever the other guy that said the tremelo bar sucks must be a crack because I love it and it works great. its my favorite part of the guitar. // 9

IGP04A Reviewed by: buckhunter92, on december 17, 2007

Features: I got this guitar pack being my first one. As you can see, it's a Strat styled maple guitar with a brown sunburst color and a rosewood bolt on neck. Has 22 frets and 3 single-coil pickups. It's a "string through body bridge". 1 volume, 2 tone knobs, and 5-way pickup selector on it. Since it's a package deal, it has some stuff to get you started out alright (gig bag, strap, cable, adjustment tools, picks, and a pitch pipe). The amp pretty much sucks. If you look on it, it even says "acoustic amplifier" on it. It has master volume and equalization (treble, mid, bass) knobs on it. It has no gain on it at all (which almost takes away the whole point why people bought an electric guitar in the first place). It doesn't go to loud obviously because it only a 10 watt. // 4

Sound: The sound on the guitar is actually not too bad believe it or not, it's just the amp that messes with it. I play most styles of rock on the guitar along with a Line 6 Spider 3 amp and it sounds pretty badass with any setting on the amp. The amp it comes with is like I said before, shity. Sounds alright I guess if you like clean alot. People say that it gets dirtier when you turn it up loud but I never did for mine and I've turned it all the way so idk. It does get a lot of feedback at high levels if you don't know how to work the pickups too good. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: It was fine when it came in the mail. I never even adjusted the pickups until about a year after I got it. The guitar didn't have any visual flaws at all. It look really nice with the finish. The tuning pegs were kinda loose on mine but easy to fix. Action was fine for me. I haven't had to mess with the truss rod at all. The amp was fine as far as flaws go. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I don't see how this guitar couldnt handle Live playing. The amp and guitar are surprisingly rugged. I dropped the guitar of my roof and it still played fine (but I wouldn't recommend doing that). The hardware and electronics don't show any sign of wearing so far. The strap buttons aren't good tho. I feel fine playing the guitar Live and I wouldn't worry too much about having a backup. But I wouldn't want to play Live with the amp. The finish stays just as long as you don't f--k around with it too much like I did. // 6

Overall Impression: I play every style of rock and country and the guitar sounds decent for that. I've been playing for 2 years now. When this came in the mail, I saw the pitch pipe and thought "what the hell is this" so I threw it away. The strap is shit too so I bought a nicer one the next day. I got this for the single reason that I don't have $. I mean, obviously if I had more $, I would have gotten a pricier pack but I still play with the same guitar since I got it and it sounds better than ever today. As for the amp it came with, I bought some Behringer effects for it and it worked fine. Then one day I got the $ to buy a Line 6 Spider 3 amp so I took apart the old amp and turned it into a piggybank. If you get this pack, buy a better amp. The guitar is fine. // 5

More ION reviews rating category latest review
+ IGP03 7.6 Electric Guitars 09/26/2011