Modena Classic Review

manufacturer: Italia date: 09/25/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Italia: Modena Classic
With acres of pearloid and sparkle, the Italia Modena Classic is a blast from the past and a definitive example of glitzy retro-chic. Features include three Wilkinson Alnico V mini humbuckers plus a special blend control to give you all the pickup combinations (seven in all). And there's an ultra-smooth action Italia Vibrato for that original vintage feel.
 8.9
 9.4
 8.3
review (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Modena Classic Reviewed by: Dannystrumpop, on september 25, 2007

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: The Italia Modena is quite possibly the best 400 I've ever spent on musical equiptment. I know that's quite the statement to make but it can be well justified. The Modena is loaded with 3 humbuckers and and a rather traditional 5-way Switch. There is, however, a second volume knob that controls the bridge humbucker's volume on any Switch setting, giving the power to have both neck and bridge at full power without the middle doing any work. I find the bridge rather unique too. It has a retro style whammy bar and the bridge is a cylinder where the strings feed through from next to the pickups, thus the tremolo is achieved by rolling the cylinder rather than ripping your bridge off. The model I purchased is in a very shiny/glittery red (sadly they are no longer available in green). They are made in Korea (despite being called Italia) but are very well built and durable. // 9

Sound: For the style I play, which is heavy indie/experimental/Radiohead-ish/blues, the sound is ideal. Superb sustain and unbelievable range of tones. From playing a nice clean riff to slamming into it like it had just slept with my girlfriend it did the job perfectly. I'm using my M-Audio Black box with the guitar so the review is reasonably universal to the type of amp used. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Mine came straight out of the box (I was in the shop when it arrived). The intonation was perfect and absolutely no dodgy stringing or loose screws anywhere. I couldn't believe it. The action is just right for me, fit my style a treat. I think the finish will last a good few years too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd say this guitar is as solid as a brick wall. It's gonna take a lot of bashing before I can bring it down, not that I want to. I think the finish may get some wear and tear over time, but Who wants a guitar without character? I think the I can depend on it's reliablilty to see me through. // 8

Overall Impression: If you play anything between soft Indie and hard rock I'd recommend this guitar. It wouldn't look right in a metal* band (though the guitarist from Kid Rock* uses one). I can't say there's anything I dislike about it. I would have preferred it in green but we can't have everything now can we? If it's good enough for Iggy Pop, it's good enough for me! I use the term metal loosely in this reference. // 10

More Italia reviews rating category latest review
+ Mondial Classic 8.6 Electric Guitars 02/06/2012