Speedster 1 Review

9.4
 5.8
review (1) pictures (8) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Speedster 1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2011

Features: Not sure what year it was made as I got it second hand but I'm guessing about 2002 ish, it has a 22 fret maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard and medium frets. The body is made of korina, the same wood that early explorers and flying v's were made of. The finish looks hard wearing and has a slight metalic look to it, its dark green and I can't find any pictured in that colour so I think its maybe a special edition. The hardware consists of a wraparound Bridge that's intonated perfectly, and set of solid Italia branded tuners, but I swapped them for a set of schallers. There is only a volume control for the single pickup in the Bridge positiong, but that doesn't bother me because I play through a pedal with a tone control built in. I'm not sure what make the pickups is, but I really like it and there is a destinct growl when you turn it up full, even on the clean channel. I got it with an Epiphone hardcase and marvel strap lockswhich are both great. // 8

Sound: This guitar really suits my music style, I play mostly punk rock, Green Day "All The Way" to the Pistols, and I find that the guitar is great for it. I play through a Behringer OD400 overdive pedal into a 25w Marshall practice amp and love tho sound thick sound that I get from it without having to pile on the drive. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar setup from the shop was perfect, but I'm changing to a set of thicker strings so it will have to be re set up. The pickup was pretty high, but I like the bite that I get from that. The Bridge is a siple wraparound, so it needs no maintenance at all and the volume controls seems very solid and reliable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definetly withstand live playing, I'v already played without a backup and have had no problems. The strap locks will last forever and the finish looks like it will never wear. The simplicity of this guitar with so little to go wrong means that I can rest easy knowing nothing will happen to stop me playing it. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I love this guitar, its the perfect match for the music I play but could easily do blues style music or maybe even jazz without to much fuss. If it were stolen I would get another one exactly the same and then hunt down the man who stole it and have two. I had the option between this and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and I chose this because of its amazing comfort and tone. I havn't played my other guitar since I baught it and I don't think I will. It was great value for money and I think I may never need another guitar. // 10

More Italia reviews rating category latest review
+ Mondial Classic 8.6 Electric Guitars 02/06/2012