Christian Olde Wolbers Dinky Archtop 7-String Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 05/19/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: Christian Olde Wolbers Dinky Archtop 7-String
Seven-string mahogany arch-top body, three-piece bolt-on mahogany neck, reverse headstock, compound radius ebony fingerboard with no inlays, EMG 707 humbucking pickup, adjustable string-through-body bridge and black hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 Features: 8.8
 8.7
 8.7
 8.6
reviews (4) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Christian Olde Wolbers Dinky Archtop 7-String Reviewed by: Shredmaster42, on may 07, 2007

Features: This signature guitar was made in Japan, like most other Jacksons, and is autographed by guitarist Christian Olde Wolbers of Fear Factory. This amazing 7 srting includes an active EMG-707 in the bridge, tone pros bridge with string through body, and a ridiculously large reverse headstock. The all black fininsh makes the guitar look as cool as it sounds. There is only one knob which is for volume. // 9

Sound: I run a DigiTech RP250 and a DigiTech Death Metal to a Line 6 Spider 2 which makes for a huge sound. The guitar has an ungodly bottom end when the 7th string is tuned to A and used on the amp's METAL channel, and produces a sound reminicent to Slipknot and/or Devil Driver. This guitar can satisfy pretty much any playing style, but I wouldn't see anyone playing country music with it. So the guitar is mostly suited for metal and hard rock. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The all black finish is a fingerprint haven, but that's nothing a glasses cloth can't handle. There was only one flaw in the guitar, which is some dried glue on the nut, but can be fixed with a little touch up paint. The headstock is a reversed Jackson 7 string that is absolutely huge and I was surprised that it fit in my gig bag, but there is an optional case that Jackson makes. The pickups were perfectly balanced, but was done by the guy at the store. It's a badass looking guitar though, well done Jackson, well done. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank and can kill someone if they get too close to the headstock! The strap buttons are tough as nails and the Jackson tuners keep the instrument in tune for ages. I would love to do a concert with this guitar, and would never need a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: This 7 string is possibly the best one you can buy out there. It will satisfy any metalhead looking to unleash the fury. I love the massive headstock, but they should have put a split coil pickup in it because the clean tones are crap, but that's not why I bought the guitar. If it was stolen, I would find the person Who stole it and kill them, because the guitar is that good! I play really heavy souns and palm muting riffs, and this guitar delivers! // 10

Christian Olde Wolbers Dinky Archtop 7-String Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 17, 2007

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: I recently picked up a COW signature dinky from Musicans Friend. First and foremost, it is a decent guitar for a non USA (Japanese). The basic setup for this guitar is string through, mahogany carved body with ebony over maple fretboard. The coolest feature is the blackness of this guitar (obviously I had the black one) and the reverse headstock. It comes loaded with a single EMG-81 with is pure rawness. Since this is a single configuration, one pickup guitar with that hot EMG in it, your pretty much stuck with playing only metal and rock with it. No clean tones at all, even with volume backed off. // 9

Sound: If you like metal then this is the guitar for you. Mahogany body + ebony fretboard + EMG 81 = very bright attack. Harmonics are excellent and almost effortless. This guitar is a true crunch machine. Just listen to Fear factory and this is what you can expect from this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: OK here comes the negative part of my review. For the most part, the finish, bridge and everything was good except the setup / truss rod. To it's credit, musicians friend did a terrible job of packing this guitar and I am surprised it actually arrived in tact. Needless to say, there was major fret buzz across the board. The truss rod was way too tight which actually warped the neck. I took this guitar to 2 different shops to get the neck adjusted and to my chagrin, no one could get it right. Bottom line, don't buy from mail order Musicans friend without getting a hardshell case andinsist it is packaged well. // 4

Reliability & Durability: From my limited account, it seems pretty reliable however, I cannot give it an unbiased throrough rating because I only had the guitar in my possession for two weeks in which the majority of the time it was in the shop trying to get the neck adjusted. I think it would have benn better if they gave it a set neck and I couldnt imagine the amount of sustain this thing would have put out. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is a bad @$$ metal machine. The tone makes it seem like it was forged in the darkest recess of the bowels of metal hell! I played this through a Mesa Triple rec, a 5150 series one combo and a Spider 3. If it were not for the horrible fret buzz this guitar would have shred! I sent mine back to MF and will definitely get another from a local shop were I can actually play before I purchase (advice to any guitarist). Final thought, this guitar is good for a Japanese made guitar but if you are looking for a true Jackson, save your pennies and go for a USA made soloist. Granted, I was initially attracted to the signature model hook but stick with USA made guitars! // 7

Christian Olde Wolbers Dinky Archtop 7-String Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 14, 2010

Purchased from: Minnetonka Music

Features: This guitar was made in 2008. Body Species: Mahogany with Carved Top Body Style: Dinky Pickguard: None Neck Type: Bolt-On 3-Piece Mahogany with Satin Finish Neck Binding: None Neck Dimensions: 3rd Fret: .735", 12th Fret: .810" Fretboard: Ebony Fretboard Radius: 12" to 16" Compound Radius / 304.8 mm to 406.4 mm Scale Length: 25.5" / 648mm Number of Frets: 24 Fret Size: Jumbo Frets Nut Width: 1.875 / 48 Inlays: None Bridge Pickup: EMG 707 or 81-7 Middle Pickup: N/A Neck Pickup: N/A Pickup Switching: None Controls: Volume Special Electronics: N/A Hardware: Black Bridge: JT390-7 Adjustable Bridge with Strings-Through-Body Tuners: Die-Cast Tuners // 8

Sound: This is a metal guitar and what it lacks in features redeems itself with TONE and PLAYABILITY. The sound is very rich and clean on both dirty and clean channels. LESS IS MORE with this guitar. The simplicity of the electronics setup affords this guitar more RESONANCE and more ARTICULATION making for GODLIKE tones. The 707 gives the guitar the perfect balance between aggressive thunder and uncompressed harmonic bliss which are very reminiscent of DiMarzio pickups. I believe the tone of this guitar has a lot to do with the wood that it is made out of. You can FEEL the vibrations of the strings throughout the body of the guitar when you strike down a power chord. I use this guitar both live and in the studio. The 707 is great for both lead and rhythm work, and, because it's an EMG, I can swap it out for an 81-7 when over-the-top note articulation is necessary. I am using a Mesa rig (Triaxis, 2:90 with G-Force and Rack wah) for live sounds and a Mesa Mark V for studio sounds. I use Mesa Oversized Rectifier 4X12 Cabs loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's. It suits my Baritone requirements very well. I tune this guitar to standard B but the quality and articulation is unchaned even when tuned down to A or even Ab. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Again, not much variety, but it schools ANY and ALL 7 strings I have played with regards to tone and overall sound (Ibanez, Ernie Ball, Schecter, ESP, you name it this guitar makes them its bitch regarding tone). I had my guitar tech set up the action. Electronics were soldered very well. No flaws whatsoever. Everything came perfect from the factory regarding construction. The quality of the wood is excellent. I am very impressed with that especially in relation to the price. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is the only guitar that I have ever purchased that didn't come with a gig bag or case, but I guess that's why it was a bit more inexpensive. The guitar is built very well and can withstand the rigors of touring and live gigs. I don't know anyone who gigs without a backup guitar. The finish is beautiful and very durable. // 10

Overall Impression: I have all of my guitars and equipment insured. I am definitely considering purchasing another one. I've been playing for over 15 years. I would destroy the person who even thinks about stealing this gem. I love the tone and simplicity of this guitar with my favorite feature being the tone. I own five 7 string guitars (each ranging in price from 600 - 2200) and this is my favorite one. It is also the least expensive guitar (6 or 7 string) that I own and use professionally. // 9

Christian Olde Wolbers Dinky Archtop 7-String Reviewed by: ptdee, on may 19, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This guitar was made in 2008. Body Species: Mahogany with Carved Top Body Style: Dinky Pickguard: None Neck Type: Bolt-On 3-Piece Mahogany with Satin Finish Neck Binding: None Neck Dimensions: 3rd Fret: .735", 12th Fret: .810" Fretboard: Ebony Fretboard Radius: 12" to 16" Compound Radius / 304.8 mm to 406.4 mm Scale Length: 25.5" / 648mm Number of Frets: 24 Fret Size: Jumbo Frets Nut Width: 1.875 / 48 Inlays: None Bridge Pickup: EMG 707 or 81-7 Middle Pickup: N/A Neck Pickup: N/A Pickup Switching: None Controls: Volume Special Electronics: N/A Hardware: Black Bridge: JT390-7 Adjustable Bridge with Strings-Through-Body Tuners: Die-Cast Tuners This guitar was made in Japan 2008. No Case Included. // 9

Sound: I play metal. This is a signature guitar by a metal freak so this guitar has one use. The clean tone is almost non existent as the bridge pickup is just too trebly and has no real depth to it. You don't buy this guitar for anything else but Metal. I'm playing through a Marshall DFX250 and a Boss MT2. I also run it through an RP6 at times. This guitar can have a bit of pick noise when you use the Dunlop .88 picks but I find if you Switch to the little red tortoise shell or at least a thicker pickup, the scraping sound is removed. I think it's got to do with heavier guage strings especially on the B. I would advise that when the distortion is on that to get a really classic metal feel, you need to have a noise gate in place to remove any buzzing/humming that can be generated from having an active pickup. The sustain on this thing is so long you could go make dinner, come back and the note is still ringing away. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar from a guy on Ebay and made the trip to his place to get it. It was setup perfectly from the beginning. Everything was tight, no loose screws or faulty wiring. The action on this guitar is as good as you can get. Keep in mind this is a 7-string and with such a thick string on the B, .57 in my case, you need to have the action slightly higher for when you start pounding this guitar 180bpm. The action then can be perfectly set for soloing on the high E to power chugs on the B. The biggest standout by far on this piece of goodness is the neck. For the price range, to get a hold of an Ebony neck is unheard of. Then there's the shape! If you have ever played an Ibanez 7, those wide fat RG style necks will leave cramps in your fingers after 5 minutes. The width is only slightly increased on the COW so you really get a good grip and play with comfort. The body still being a Dinky makes it feel like you're playing a 6 string. The finish on this is top notch. Black. What more do you want. It's simple, no fret markers or flashy graphics. Like others who've pointed it out, you need to have a cloth handy and remove all the fingerprints as they will stand out after just one session. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't play live but you would only need this guitar and no other. This thing will standup to the punishment and if you've ever seen Fear Factory live, I think these things could go to war and come back unscathed. I think like any other guitar, take care of it and it will be there when you're gone. The key feature here is that there are only the basic electronics and nothing else. With a Volume knob and one pickup, the chances of anything going wrong are slim to none. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a metal guitar. You wouldn't have even heard of this guitar if you played Bach. I've been learning Trivium's Shogun album and this is the match for me. I played the Schecters, Ibanez and Baritones and this is the best of the lot. Then factor in the price and you're well ahead of the competition. A really cool feature of this guitar is the 9v battery pack. There is a plastic case that allows you to flip the battery out and replace it in a split second. This is genious. No other manufacturer i've seen is doing this. I also used to be of the thought that neck thru guitars were the only way to go. This guitar is a bolt-on and the sustain that it has is amazing. The headstock is oversized and that is probably what I would change but I never even really thought about this till I read another review. Word of warning, if you go to your local guitar shop and the guitar doesn't quite sound right, a bit tinny or too much vibration int eh speaker cab when playing the B string, first - change amps and play a beast like a Mesa Mark V or at least a JCM 2000 through a cabinet. Second - the guitar might not be setup correctly. // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32Q 9.7 Electric Guitars 09/17/2014